New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Perfect and almost perfect game
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:13 pm 
Legal Member

These 2 are completely true stories one with witnesses and one without but with people who can vouch for it being true.

First story is my perfect STC game that I had back in 2006(I believe). I had not even gotten over 24k in that game and somehow had gotten into the last round with a perfecto. The last round had only 2 tough questions for me(Where was the college football hall of fame? and What current NFL team is a decendant of the Decatur Stanleys? don't worrry you don't have to answer those). And the last question to finish off the perfecto...Who is the only non quarterback of the 49ers to win Super Bowl MVP? A relief to my eyes to finish off the perfecto.

Next is my almost perfecto that happened the second thursday in Jan 2010 for Six with my trivia team BigDog included. It was a rare night as it seemed everyone from the team came out that night and almost did not have enough boxes for everyone. After running through the matching round almost tirelessly(Thankfully knowing directors and their remakes) I made it through the Marathon Six round with a perfect score. Then on the 4th question of the final round I bled 120 points and finished with a 64,880 and the team went on to take the second best score ever in Six history.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Perfect and almost perfect game
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 am 
Banned

timmy879 wrote:
Next is my almost perfecto that happened the second thursday in Jan 2010 for Six with my trivia team BigDog included. It was a rare night as it seemed everyone from the team came out that night and almost did not have enough boxes for everyone. After running through the matching round almost tirelessly(Thankfully knowing directors and their remakes) I made it through the Marathon Six round with a perfect score. Then on the 4th question of the final round I bled 120 points and finished with a 64,880 and the team went on to take the second best score ever in Six history.

Tim

Appears to have been the best score in the short history of Six Thursday, and the fourth best overall.

Had to nitpick, there. :D But congrats nevertheless.

Post subject: My almost perfect premium game
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:58 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

My almost perfect score was many years ago. It would be 1996 perhaps early 1997. Sorry I’m a little hazy on the date.

The game was Passport. I had played the game at most 2 or 3 times previously.

The topic was Toronto. I grew up in T.O. but at the time of the game I hadn’t lived there for 3 or 4 years

One of the questions asked what the avant garde neighborhood was called. I didn’t have a clue but came up with “Queen Street West” which is the area where I would dodge more weirdos than normal in order to visit Bakka, a Sci-Fi book store.

Wound up with 998 for the question.

Got a third place finish overall. Both scores that beat me were perfect.

Everyone was scattered around the place and we were playing solo by necessity. The other players surprised me a bit – despite the fact that I was relatively new to the bar and I didn’t know any of them, they all came over and congratulated me and offered to buy me a drink or three

Post subject: Re: Perfect and almost perfect game
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 pm 
Dodecaposter

Two true stories here as well...

First (and if this is more common than I realize, I apologize in advance).....

I don’t have any memorable “almost-perfect” stories. However, on one occasion I did have a “reverse-almost-perfect”.

I got my board just as a game of Countdown was winding down. I completed my login after question 15 had already started to tick down. By the time I read the questions and punched in my answer, the score had almost reached zero.

Almost.

My score for that question - and my final score for the game – was…

And next.....

Once upon a time, there was a waterhole just up the street from where I worked; several of my friends and I spent a fair amount of time and money there back in the day. Anyhow, over the years the bar changed hands on several occasions, and I changed jobs and addresses as well.

Some years later, after moving back to my hometown, I was driving past the old hangout one day when I saw the words "NTN Trivia" on the marquee that was now on the outside of the bar. Although I already had a regular NTN hangout, I decided that if I was ever in the neighborhood some night, I would check the place out for old times' sake.

And so I did. I pulled in one evening, walked into the bar...and immediately noted that it was decorated in Early Harley, as were most of the patrons. I had not noticed the goodly number of motorcycles parked in the lot on the side of the bar opposite from where I had parked...and, since I normally did not go through this section of town anymore for logistical reasons, I was completely unaware that it had become a local biker hangout.

What the hell, I thought. So I ordered a beer and a board (since nobody else was playing, getting a playmaker was no problem whatsoever), sat down, and began playing.

Have you ever had the sense that you were being watched, even when you were concentrating on something else? Yeah. By the second break in my first Countdown game, I was quite aware of several pairs of eyes watching me from the end of the bar. And, needless to say, the people in question were not dressed as though they were at a stockbroker's convention.

I was on a roll that game, and wound up on the national top-20 board. As I turned away to go to the bathroom after checking my score, my eyes caught somebody standing right behind me. It was, of course, the biggest, most badass-looking of the guys from the end of the bar.

"You know..."

Now, I am not sure about any of you reading this, but I do not recall too many conversations over the course of my lifetime that began with the words "you know" and turned out very well...

"You know...we were watching you play. Damn...nobody ever gets our house on that board! Put your money away...the beer is on me and my friends the rest of the night!"

Needless to say, I was not about to argue with a guy who could probably dismember me and have one free arm left to hoist his mug. So I moved on down, sat with them for a couple of hours, and really had a very good time.

Unfortunately, the bar took the game out not long afterwards. And I never did see my benefactors again...