New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Strauss
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:39 pm 
U > 100 * 2

This wouldn’t be a Terrific Tale for any of you, but it is INCREDIBLY encouraging for someone like me, whose knowledge of Classical Music is so scant that it doesn’t go beyond “I think I heard that in a cartoon,” and “I know of Handel’s ‘Messiah’ because it’s usually called ‘Handel’s Messiah.”

It is my absolute worst category in Learned League, so I decided to try to study it. My iTunes on shuffle now go from Rancid to Mendelssohn to Korn to Vivaldi. (Yes, it can be jarring; I try not to accidentally put my iTunes on “shuffle.”)

This week i started reading “Classical Music for Dummies,” creating a spreadsheet of searchable notes for studying and ocassionally stopping to listen to the songs as they’re discussed.

Right now I’m working on my spreadsheet for Presidential trivia (also a very bad trivia category for me) while watching “Boston Legal.” A commercial just came on and I RECOGNIZED THE CLASSICAL PIECE. Again, I’m sure 98% of you guys would have, too. But three days ago, I would not have.

I am so excited about this, but my very best friends would just stare at me blankly if I told them about it. So I’m telling you. I’ve found the trivia world to be very encouraging. And I had to tell SOMEONE!

GYPSY

Post subject: Re: Strauss
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:32 pm 
Lotsa Posta

That seems to be good strategy. Anything to improve your trivia knowledge works. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:47 pm 
Centenarian

Most endeavors to reach greatness take alot of time and work.That is why often you see someone great at things and very mediocre at others.There is only so much time in a day.It applies to buzztime also.Some are fantastic in a certain area,but workmanlike in others.I do applaud your efforts Gypsy in trying to branch out.It is great you have that thirst for knowledge and that competitive spirit to excel.I do find it amuzing that there are so many repeat questions in lunch and countdown.It is refreshing when one actually wants to improve their knowledge base.My self when I use to play topix in areas that interested me I use to study some and it did help my score.It did take time though.Hard work will lead to achieving success.Hard work, dogged determination and perseverance will lead to success.What did Edison say about success.

Last edited by Bugg on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:12 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Thanks, guys!

I know I’ll never be excellent at classical music or American history trivia. My goal is simply to elevate myself beyond “embarrassingly horrible.”

Learned League breaks everything down statistically and your opponent sees those stats and uses them against you defensively. So I’m playing the LOOOOONG game. If my opponent automatically assumes (correctly, up until now) that I suck at classical and history, he or she will weight those questions higher. If I can get a few of those, it will improve me overall scores (which are still very low) significantly.

I’m also focusing on the subjects I do well (“well” being subjective) to shore up the body of knowledge in which I feel most comfortable. Once I get my worst categories up to “not embarrassingly horrible,” I’ll move on the the middling categories.

Learned League (and most pub trivia) is not multiple-choice. So I’m attempting to give myself multiple choice, by gaining the basic knowledge. 25% is better than noting. And it can only help me in Buzztime.

I read “U.S. History for Dummies” and it helped some, but it’s such a huge topic. I figured by focusing on the Presidents, it gives me a base and a timeline to mentally put everything else. My Presidents spreadsheet now has 36 categories. If I spend 10-15 minutes a day reading one of those columns, not only will it reinforce the order of the Presidents (see? I’m really bad at U. S. History), but I’ll learn a lot about other things along the way.

Hell, all I have to do is replace half the time I spend on Facebook with trivia studying and it should make a huge impact. Plus, I’m in law school on weekends right now, and many of the cases we’re studying are really friggin’ old, so knowing the context helps me remember the cases.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:17 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'd say replacing 1% of the time you spend on Facebook would be suffice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gypsy wrote:
Thanks, guys!

I know I’ll never be excellent at classical music or American history trivia. My goal is simply to elevate myself beyond “embarrassingly horrible.”

Learned League breaks everything down statistically and your opponent sees those stats and uses them against you defensively. So I’m playing the LOOOOONG game. If my opponent automatically assumes (correctly, up until now) that I suck at classical and history, he or she will weight those questions higher. If I can get a few of those, it will improve me overall scores (which are still very low) significantly.

I’m also focusing on the subjects I do well (“well” being subjective) to shore up the body of knowledge in which I feel most comfortable. Once I get my worst categories up to “not embarrassingly horrible,” I’ll move on the the middling categories.

Learned League (and most pub trivia) is not multiple-choice. So I’m attempting to give myself multiple choice, by gaining the basic knowledge. 25% is better than noting. And it can only help me in Buzztime.

I read “U.S. History for Dummies” and it helped some, but it’s such a huge topic. I figured by focusing on the Presidents, it gives me a base and a timeline to mentally put everything else. My Presidents spreadsheet now has 36 categories. If I spend 10-15 minutes a day reading one of those columns, not only will it reinforce the order of the Presidents (see? I’m really bad at U. S. History), but I’ll learn a lot about other things along the way.

Hell, all I have to do is replace half the time I spend on Facebook with trivia studying and it should make a huge impact. Plus, I’m in law school on weekends right now, and many of the cases we’re studying are really friggin’ old, so knowing the context helps me remember the cases.

Some unsolicited advice:
1. Add new data by association with what you already know. That could be shared years, linked names, etc.
Even a loose affiliation is more easily recalled than none at all.
2. Take small bites. Too much new info is less likely to be assimilated.
3. Remember. Trivia is like the joke about the bear and the hikers in the woods. You don't have to know everything. You only have to know more than everybody else... :)

PS. Which rundle are you in?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:45 am 
U > 100 * 2

spotes wrote:

Some unsolicited advice:
1. Add new data by association with what you already know. That could be shared years, linked names, etc.
Even a loose affiliation is more easily recalled than none at all.
2. Take small bites. Too much new info is less likely to be assimilated.
3. Remember. Trivia is like the joke about the bear and the hikers in the woods. You don't have to know everything. You only have to know more than everybody else... :)

PS. Which rundle are you in?

Thanks, spotes!

I'm in E Coastal Div 2. Currently in 5th place, hanging onto the slippery edge of the boat by my bloodied fingernails, as #6 and #7 agitate the waters beneath me, smelling chum. And #8, #9, and #10 are circling just behind them. I have two more days to hang on to 5th in order to get promoted to the D rundle.

This is my third season. My second season I nearly doubled my TCA from my first and I've improved again this season. My QPct is 30% higher than last season. My rookie season, I never got more than (2), last season I never got more than (3), and this season I've gotten a (5). My rookie season, I only got one 3-pointer. Last season I got four and so far I have eight. So I AM improving.

I had one forfeit early on because I was switching between day shift and night shift and traveling and slept past BOTH of my Learned League phone alarms. I've been kicking myself for it since, but if I don't hang on to 5th place because of that one point, it's OK, because I don't deserve it, anyway. Nine players below me have a higher TCA.

If I keep improving every season, maybe, just maybe, I'll live long enough to get to the A rundle. But I'd probably have to start eating right and exercising because I'm already 39.

I've been watching your amazing performance this season. You're unbelievable.

Gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:47 am 
U > 100 * 2

Tolle wrote:
I'd say replacing 1% of the time you spend on Facebook would be suffice.

Yes, Tolle, it's too bad there are not Facebook rankings. I could SMOKE that!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:38 am 
Lotsa Posta

For those of you who have never seen one of GYPSY's spread sheets, they are among the miracles of the Modern Age. When she matriculated to law school, she and her classmates were encouraged to collaborate. Two weeks later she was called on the carpet by one of her professors, who informed her that her spreadsheets were too good to share. (!)

I would encourage her to post a little of her classical music spreadsheet on this thread. Give us a thrill, GYPSY.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:53 am 
U > 100 * 2

GONE D wrote:
For those of you who have never seen one of GYPSY's spread sheets, they are among the miracles of the Modern Age. When she matriculated to law school, she and her classmates were encouraged to collaborate. Two weeks later she was called on the carpet by one of her professors, who informed her that her spreadsheets were too good to share. (!)

I would encourage her to post a little of her classical music spreadsheet on this thread. Give us a thrill, GYPSY.

She never did get back to me, by the way. The final was open book and open note and she told me my spreadsheet could have been considered cheating. I told her I'd already shared it with my classmates because we were encouraged to share notes. She said she would check with the dean, but never got back to me.

I have no idea how to insert an image of my classical musicians one, but I assure you it has nothing on it that you don't already know. I'm in catch-up mode because apparently only recently I decided to get smart. It has 59 musicians with their style (Baroque, Romantic, Classical . . . ), lifetime, ethnicity, most famous works, and then other notes about their lives to help me remember who was who. Thus far wildly guessing in Learned League has gotten me a .143 for Classical Music so I figured I should try a different strategy.