New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cheating the System
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Now I'm starting to see how fun this app might be...EGADS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:35 pm 
Himself Fodder

tiefly wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:
tiefly wrote:
Again, no one is stepping up to explain why they play at two separate sites at the same time.

Note, I have not done this. But I can see one reason.

Persons A and B are friends playing at the same time at different bars, perhaps 5-10 miles from each other. "B" sees "A" make the leader board after a game. As a joke, "B" signs in at the bar where "A" is to give him some competition, yet still play at bar where he is. If done all in fun, perhaps okay, but otherwise no.

THANK YOU!!!

I can see this as something some folks would do and something I would never have thought to do.

Of course, with sparsity of players in my area, I would probably just drive over to the other site and hang out with them.

All well and good, but if you look at the handles playing at remote locations, you'll see that they have no interest in actually playing the game. These handles play only a few questions, racking up a few measly points. In the one case with GOOGIE, nobody worth playing against was playing in that AIA game.

Tie, your question is valid and I as well would love to hear some sort of retort. The underlying smoking gun is the sheer number of handles playing at remote locations during lots of specialty and premium games.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:40 pm 
Lotsa Posta

tiefly wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:
tiefly wrote:
Again, no one is stepping up to explain why they play at two separate sites at the same time.

Persons A and B are friends playing at the same time at different bars, perhaps 5-10 miles from each other. "B" sees "A" make the leader board after a game. As a joke, "B" signs in at the bar where "A" is to give him some competition, yet still play at bar where he is. If done all in fun, perhaps okay, but otherwise no.

THANK YOU!!!

I can see this as something some folks would do and something I would never have thought to do.

Of course, with sparsity of players in my area, I would probably just drive over to the other site and hang out with them.

Side note....the playmaker app works in cars, so someone can play blind-folded on the drive over there. You wind up answering "Name the dog for the Flintsones" as "Tiger", but............

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Doing this during specialty and premium games troubles me much more than goofing on someone at another site during the day.

Only answering one or two questions just doesn't make any sense. You are not going to punk someone else's board by doing that. All you are probably doing is seeing the questions and answers prior to them showing up at the site you are playing at.

I would LOVE to know if the sites where the app is being used at are running faster than the physical site.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
Doing this during specialty and premium games troubles me much more than goofing on someone at another site during the day.

Only answering one or two questions just doesn't make any sense. You are not going to punk someone else's board by doing that. All you are probably doing is seeing the questions and answers prior to them showing up at the site you are playing at.

I would LOVE to know if the sites where the app is being used at are running faster than the physical site.

They're answering 1 or 2 questions to fill out those stupid cards. If you're playing a full game and not fucking with someone at the other site, you are trying to cheat the system by either: getting a higher score and winning a medal, getting credited with a local win, making the top ten leaderboard for a site you haven't been to, or seeing your name on the top twenty national board when in reality you were not even the top player at your current location.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Y'know, mayhap it is just me but...

The next time something of this nature is discovered maybe we should just take it to the 'Private Messages' rather than raking someone through the coals or firing up speculation about someone that has nothing to do with it.

I don't believe it serves any purpose other than to piss people off when one is accused & the facts are not known. Until the facts are known, shut up! (no offense to the OP) No need to air the dirty laundry until you are sure it needs cleaning.

Personally, I could give a turkey whether someone has earned a medal or accrued said number of points. What does it matter?

What is funny is how much a former 'accused' person here is so vehemently attacking the accused.

Once again, just my 2¢.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:
tiefly wrote:

THANK YOU!!!

Like I expained about ROMEO, There is no evidence that he is playing at Site A while logged in at Site B. So I can't go to where they're at 'cause I don't know where.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Tolle wrote:
tiefly wrote:

They're answering 1 or 2 questions to fill out those stupid cards. If you're playing a full game and not fucking with someone at the other site, you are trying to cheat the system by either: getting a higher score and winning a medal, getting credited with a local win, making the top ten leaderboard for a site you haven't been to, or seeing your name on the top twenty national board when in reality you were not even the top player at your current location.

This is it exactly. I don't object to people pressing a few buttons blindly logged in from home or office to complete the reward cards considering how BT makes you jump through hoops. It's the people like Mitchwolf mentioned that use the cheat to get golds, national rankings and dominate leaderboards of locations where they aren't playing. The problem is people get tired of playing phantoms who have a 30 second edge and take over a leaderboard so they quit playing or go elsewhere and then the punked location starts thinking about dropping Buzztime completely.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jim wrote:
This is it exactly. I don't object to people pressing a few buttons blindly logged in from home or office to complete the reward cards considering how BT makes you jump through hoops. It's the people like Mitchwolf mentioned that use the cheat to get golds, national rankings and dominate leaderboards of locations where they aren't playing. The problem is people get tired of playing phantoms who have a 30 second edge and take over a leaderboard so they quit playing or go elsewhere and then the punked location starts thinking about dropping Buzztime completely.

The locations that can dropped it are the ones who are down on activity level (another issue due to a lousy site finder), not because of the cheater. Some owners and/or management don't care a rat's ass on the cheating (unless they are told about, like one visiting player hogs 8 playmakers and not let a regular having a fully charger box at my home bar)

But as long we know who are legit and report the phantom cheats we are better off. Now playing blind is to other eyes are consider cheaters as well. I call em "Point Munchers".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:55 pm 
Himself Fodder

Jim wrote:
This is it exactly. I don't object to people pressing a few buttons blindly logged in from home or office to complete the reward cards considering how BT makes you jump through hoops.

Jumping through hoops? By making you play a game? Really?

The idea is to play the games to complete the card. If I had it my way, you'd have to do that from a blue PM and actually play the entire game. And not just login to answer one question to get credit for a "game" to complete a glorious card.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:53 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Jim wrote:
This is it exactly. I don't object to people pressing a few buttons blindly logged in from home or office to complete the reward cards considering how BT makes you jump through hoops.

The idea is to play the games to complete the card. If I had it my way, you'd have to do that from a blue PM and actually play the entire game. And not just login to answer one question to get credit for a "game" to complete a glorious card.

BO

When the reward card started out it was eight cards and now by popular demand it's sixteen. Completing 16 is 8-9 weeks at best if you don't encounter any BT screw-ups or have anything else remotely resembling a life. Should a fubar company really demand that much of anyones life? Borg BO-by Borg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:40 am 
Himself Fodder

Jim wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Jim wrote:

BO

When the reward card started out it was eight cards and now by popular demand it's sixteen. Completing 16 is 8-9 weeks at best if you don't encounter any BT screw-ups or have anything else remotely resembling a life. Should a fubar company really demand that much of anyones life? Borg BO-by Borg

Nobody is forcing you to complete the fucking cards! It's your choice whether you complete 0, 5, 10, or all 16. And you think this promotion is fucked up because it involves time and effort? Are you one of those people that think everything should just be handed to you on a silver platter?

And LOL at saying anybody who completes all 16 has no life. Attitudes like this really, really piss me off to no end.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

And LOL at saying anybody who completes all 16 has no life. Attitudes like this really, really piss me off to no end.

BO

BO, if you played the Lotto and won it for 300 million dollars, it would piss you off! I've read Jim's post too, and, having just completed Card #16, I am not bothered by his post. I certainly don't see any "attitude" in his comment; maybe there is, but I don't see it.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I certainly don't see any "attitude" in his comment; maybe there is, but I don't see it.

Well, hell, talking about attitude, shouldn't the same consideration apply to BO also? IMO far too many, both here and on the NTN Buzztime Forum, seem to have assumed "attitude" in what he's said, based on reactions. Image Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:18 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
zog741 wrote:
I certainly don't see any "attitude" in his comment; maybe there is, but I don't see it.

Well, hell, talking about attitude, shouldn't the same consideration apply to BO also? IMO far too many, both here and on the NTN Buzztime Forum, seem to have assumed "attitude" in what he's said, based on reactions. Image Image

<irony>
Yeah, good point. Just because he uses the F-word and derogatory LOL in his last post shouldn't imply an attitude :roll:
</irony>

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 am 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
liljol wrote:
zog741 wrote:

<irony>
Yeah, good point. Just because he uses the F-word and derogatory LOL in his last post shouldn't imply an attitude :roll:
</irony>

-- RWM

I would think most people that have completed all 16 cards at some point would be more insulted by someone saying they have no life than me using the f word.

Certain things just hack me off and his post obviously did. Again, nobody is forcing players to complete the cards. I don't think I've ever completed more than 5 in a quarter, and could care less.

But as I've said before, the creation of these cards was a major stroke of genius. It would be so good if more innovation and great product like this would come out of Carlsbad.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:55 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
liljol wrote:
zog741 wrote:

<irony>
</irony>

-- RWM

He may come across a little strong, and may be hard to take sometimes, but in my experience when it comes to all things Buzztime, he is rarely wrong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
I would think most people that have completed all 16 cards at some point would be more insulted by someone saying they have no life than me using the f word.

Certain things just hack me off and his post obviously did. Again, nobody is forcing players to complete the cards. I don't think I've ever completed more than 5 in a quarter, and could care less.

But as I've said before, the creation of these cards was a major stroke of genius. It would be so good if more innovation and great product like this would come out of Carlsbad.

BO

Well, I didn't feel insulted. Jim's opinion was that completing the cards required too much effort; I don't agree with that opinion, by the way. Lots of people play BT much more than I do, and many of them also couldn't care less about the cards promotion.

My own reason for pursuing the cards has nothing to do with prizes that I never win anyways or with worthless Player Plus points; it is simply as a means to maintain interest in playing trivia, of keeping focus.

Most of what you have said on this thread I agree with. In spite of my occasionally playing offsite and guessing at an answer or two just because of the cards, there should be a rule that the cards can only be completed (1) through a Buzztime Playmaker, or (2) within a 1/4 mile radius of the site you are logged into; this is so you aren't unfairly penalized if all the boxes are in use or out of order. To get credit for a game, I think you should score the Player Plus threshold for that game. But the promotion is, is you said, a stroke of genius on Buzztime's part.

However, I also blame Buzztime for their lack of foresight that enabled the cheating. You've heard of Murphy's Law. Whatever can go wrong, will. A corollary of this is that whenever it's possible to cheat at something, somebody will try to cheat. It is up to Buzztime to fix their game so that people can't. The quarter-mile restriction on smart phones and tablets, or better synchonization would go a long way toward that goal.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
It is up to Buzztime to fix their game so that people can't. The quarter-mile restriction on smart phones and tablets, or better synchonization would go a long way toward that goal.

-- RWM

Buzztime not only needs to get that restriction done but make sure we can connect to the system with the mobile app very much better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:17 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

BO

Reward cards, players plus points and medals are loyalty programs that while meaning so little to some are very important to others. The people that design these programs take advantage of the compulsive behavior and competitive nature of some players, so for many it is not a concious choice, but just something you do. Completing all 16 cards is an accomplishment and very time demanding. While you are very much in control you would be surprised by the amount of people that make plans around completing cards. Think of all the schemes devised to get medals, boost averages, get extra players plus points and complete reward cards beyond the simple enjoyment of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jim wrote:
Reward cards, players plus points and medals are loyalty programs that while meaning so little to some are very important to others. The people that design these programs take advantage of the compulsive behavior and competitive nature of some players, so for many it is not a concious choice, but just something you do. Completing all 16 cards is an accomplishment and very time demanding. While you are very much in control you would be surprised by the amount of people that make plans around completing cards. Think of all the schemes devised to get medals, boost averages, get extra players plus points and complete reward cards beyond the simple enjoyment of the game.

While all (or much of that) that may be true, the sole reason buzztime expanded the cards from 8 to 16 was for the players who finished card #8 with weeks (or even months) remaining in the eligibility period. They were bored waiting for the next round so they wanted more cards. Buzztime gave them what they wanted. I see nothing wrong with that. Yeah, a byproduct of that decision is that it makes the complusive behavior people with competitive nature go even more crazy trying to keep up. But that type of player isn't all that different from someone who is addicted to alcohol or gambling or Facebook, etc, that needs help. Bars and Vegas and Facebook, etc, will always offer their customers more. Most are able to handle the "know when to say when" responsibility that comes with that. Not everyone can, obviously. But that alone is not enough reason to shut off more cards to the players who want it and can handle it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:01 pm 
Himself Fodder

Jim wrote:

I agree with all of this, completing all the cards can be demanding. But of course it's each person's responsibility to decide what's best for them. My issue was the fact you stated completing 16 cards is too demanding and not fair to the players.

What would be interesting is if BT devised a set of cards that was unable to be completed, giving prizes to the players that progressed the farthest. And of course I'd stipulate minimum scores in every game rendering the mobile PM gambit useless.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It looks the the mobile phone PM lag gambit may have hit the bar scores of the "Smartest Bar" SIX contest.

Nobles Bar in Baltimore showed in 8th place last Wed. They have never shown at all in any premium game let alone that close to the top in BT/CD.
3 of the 5 players had just signed up that night, 2 with no home bar meaning they were a mobile PM.
I believe this is 1 guy MICHGN and maybe another person playing 5 mobile PM at an unknown location while logged on at Nobles using the lag to score well.

Take a look:
http://www.buzztime.com/site/31816/game ... 0601180000
and
http://www.buzztime.com/players/bt_hof_ ... &sid=31816

59,513 PNGWIN Nobles Bar and Grill Baltimore MD
59,081 MICHGN Nobles Bar and Grill Baltimore MD
58,740 TERTLE Nobles Bar and Grill Baltimore MD
58,544 BEARS Nobles Bar and Grill Baltimore MD
55,606 NIZZLE Nobles Bar and Grill Baltimore MD

PNGWIN, TERTLE & BEARS have only played 1 to 4 games ever and they score this high, even if they were just button pushers? I doubt it.

NIZZLE has only played about 6 games in the last 6 months all last Wed.
MICHGN is the only sometimes decent player and I think all the others are his (and maybe 1 other person's) mobile accounts.

Seems strange, but it could just be well coordinated team play with MICHGN & 4 newbies. But I'll bet on the mobile PM at a lagging bar elsewhere from Nobles.

A call to Nobles at 9pm on Wed. will be in order to ask "got any players there tonight?" :mrgreen:

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
It looks the the mobile phone PM lag gambit may have hit the bar scores of the "Smartest Bar" SIX contest.

Nobles Bar in Baltimore showed in 8th place last Wed. They have never shown at all in any premium game let alone that close to the top in BT/CD.
3 of the 5 players had just signed up that night, 2 with no home bar meaning they were a mobile PM.
I believe this is 1 guy MICHGN and maybe another person playing 5 mobile PM at an unknown location while logged on at Nobles using the lag to score well.

Take a look:
and

PNGWIN, TERTLE & BEARS have only played 1 to 4 games ever and they score this high, even if they were just button pushers? I doubt it.

MICHGN is the only sometimes decent player and I think all the others are his (and maybe 1 other person's) mobile accounts.

Seems strange, but it could just be well coordinated team play with MICHGN & 4 newbies. But I'll bet on the mobile PM at a lagging bar elsewhere from Nobles.

A call to Nobles at 9pm on Wed. will be in order to ask "got any players there tonight?" :mrgreen:

All the players who played at my bar was there. I may have more than 14 this week to help Baxters to win. Wild card awarded to the bar with total score from all boxes that played.

Nobles isn't trying harder so it wouldn't matter if they are real box player or phantom mobile players, so they aren't in the wild card radar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
BUD wrote:

Take a look:
and

All the players who played at my bar was there. I may have more than 14 this week to help Baxters to win. Wild card awarded to the bar with total score from all boxes that played.

Nobles isn't trying harder so it wouldn't matter if they are real box player or phantom mobile players, so they aren't in the wild card radar.

Nobles is going for one of the top 3 "real" spots in the region. They don't have enough phones to go for the wild card spot which of course will go to whatever bars have the most boxes/phones/Ipads.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next