New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jeopardy! - Cheater or Genius?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
It seems there is a contestant that has pissed a few people off with his unorthodox method for winning... http://happyplace.someecards.com/29078/jeopardy-contestant-is-changing-the-game-and-fans-arent-happy
I've not seen him play, the show is not on at a convenient time around here, but it seems to me that if it's within the rules... Why not? Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Jeopardy! - Cheater or Genius?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Seems to me like he's breaking the Unwritten Rules of Jeopardy. Can he do it, sure, but it's greatly frowned upon.

We could list the same unwritten rules for buzztime. Multi-boxes, ok. Borging, no. Well I guess multi-boxes is actually against buzztime rules but that's just because they don't want a player getting extra chances at prizes. The overwhelming majority of people who are multi-boarding are doing it for bar score and they don't give a damn about the prizes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:30 am 
Himself Fodder

I have no idea why this is getting so much press, he's not doing anything new. Chuck Forrest did the same thing in 1985, so did Roger Craig. He's simply keeping the other contestants off balance and hunting for daily doubles. He also wagers optimally which is more than I can say for most players.

It's a non-issue, many are pissed because it upsets their viewing experience. Why should he care about that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:50 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
-BO- wrote:
I have no idea why this is getting so much press, he's not doing anything new. Chuck Forrest did the same thing in 1985, so did Roger Craig. He's simply keeping the other contestants off balance and hunting for daily doubles. He also wagers optimally which is more than I can say for most players.

It's a non-issue, many are pissed because it upsets their viewing experience. Why should he care about that?

Exactly. As you said, he's not using any method that hasn't been tried before. Some have used it with success, others not so much.

I think he is mostly pissing off those with a bad case of OCD.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:09 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

He is just being smart and anyone who doesn't like it is being an idiot. People don't like him... so what! People don't like me and I don't make any money off of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:18 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Whenever I see the people complaining invoking the "tradition" of Jeopardy!, I turn off--it's like the people in debate tournaments who wanted to argue that an unusual and effective case should lose because it was "against the spirit of the resolution." I also find it significant that these same people at least on occasion are declaring that Alex Trebek hates Arthur's technique as well, although Alex (being a professional, and acting as such at all times, something the anti-Arthur viewers could learn something from) isn't saying anything about it now or when players previously employed it. When you have to make up evidence to support your case, you might as well admit you don't have one.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:02 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I like the way he is playong. Its a different strategy and it is working. No big deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:38 pm 
Centenarian

Technically, Arthur Chu is within the rules. It's just that he is using a strategy that most Jeopardy! players do not use.

As BO already said, this is not even a new strategy. Back in the late-1980's, there was a Jeopardy! champion named Chuck Forrest, who named it "The Rubin Bounce", named after a friend of his who had suggested it to him.

The main thing is that the player knows where he wants to go, but the other players (and probably, the studio director) does not, which keeps them on edge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:42 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Why should you want to hunt Daily Doubles early? Shouldn't you start the round in less comfortable categories and run through them, so that if you get the DD later in the round, it will be in a high-confidence category, and you can wager big and maybe put the game away before having to deal with the whims of whatever category is selected for Final Jeopardy? Players are too risk-averse with the Daily Doubles when the odds of aggressive action will favor them in the long run.

And don't get me started on gratuitous vowel-buyers on that other show. The object of the game is to earn, not burn, the most money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:31 pm 
Lotsa Posta

kaufman wrote:
Why should you want to hunt Daily Doubles early? Shouldn't you start the round in less comfortable categories and run through them, so that if you get the DD later in the round, it will be in a high-confidence category, and you can wager big and maybe put the game away before having to deal with the whims of whatever category is selected for Final Jeopardy? Players are too risk-averse with the Daily Doubles when the odds of aggressive action will favor them in the long run.
If you are confident that you are the better player, it behooves you to kill the DD's early, as it prevents someone from doubling up to within reach of you. Smart play, really. For that matter, if you are confident enough in your own mental agility, it makes sense to jump around categories to keep the other players off-balance.
kaufman wrote:

And don't get me started on gratuitous vowel-buyers on that other show. The object of the game is to earn, not burn, the most money.

I have long thought that WoF players should be able to buy vowels, but that the price should be a finger. I mean, you can start with the pinky on the non-dominant hand; I'm not a barbarian.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
I have long thought that WoF players should be able to buy vowels, but that the price should be a finger. I mean, you can start with the pinky on the non-dominant hand; I'm not a barbarian.

I am! How about an eye for an "I"? :mrgreen:

-- RWM