New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My guessing method
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 pm 
Air Jordan

I always go with 1, although 5 seems to show up a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:11 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

OK, as we don't seem to be able to post the files here, I am giving a link to the statistical analysis I discussed early in this thread (the one disproving that "3" comes up significantly more frequently):

http://www3.uakron.edu/history/trivia/ThreeMyth.pdf

As you will see, it does not necessarily say that one should not default to "3," particularly in certain circumstances, but simply that on average, the "three-hole" is likely to come up in no statistically-greater percentage than any other number.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:20 pm 
Centenarian

Oh puhleese, it's not even published in a refereed journal. And no citations? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Noles wrote:
Oh puhleese, it's not even published in a refereed journal. And no citations? :lol:

Citations? I don't need no stinkin' citations! This is all groundbreaking, paradigm-shifting original research with data I collected myself! I'd be happy to share the original data with you, but since most of it was on napkins, those precious original documents are, alas, gone. First the Library of Alexandria, and now this... (fortunately, just checking now it seems I still have the spreadsheet with all the data on it. Phew!)

Those snooty know-it-alls at the Annals of Improbable Research said it did not have "broad enough popular appeal for their audience"--but I know that was really just a smokescreen to keep the truth from getting out there. All those special Three interests want to thwart me from alerting the people to the terrible lies they've been spreading for years. Well, it won't work, do you hear me?!?!? My colleagues thought I was mad...MAD...to persist, but now, thanks to Scaratings, the truth can finally be told!! Ha HAH!!!

Excuse me, I think it's time for my medication and a quiet lie-down.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I have a completely different 'guessing method.' I look it up on my laptop, and then punch the correct answer into my iPhone at a site that is lagged behind mine, and I get a 1000.

Sincerely,

HAQQER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:22 pm 
Route

These are good rules, of course civil war needs to be chosen when an option, and avoid the number 4 as a guess, esp in a 5 question game.

I fear our mistakes far more than the strategy of our enemies.
-Thucydides (471-400 B.C.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:53 am 
Dammit, Chloe. There's No Time!

If I have no clue whatsoever, I always go with 3.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:59 pm 
For For Texters

Well, I used to do 'when in doubt, 4 it out'. Then a played a few games with a fellow with the same slow reading issue I have. His answer is to poke 5 right away and start reading from #1. That way, if you do not find an answer that feels better, you may be on it. Especially true with the evil 'all except' questions. Same theory would work starting with #1.

Poking a middle number requires you to read in 2 directions. One directions seems an obvious improvement over that.

Obviously, if you think you have a good idea, may be better to just hurry thru, from the top. However, here again, if you finally find the answer you like at #5, you have, probably, wasted 100+ points.

MOJO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
I have a completely different 'guessing method.' I look it up on my laptop, and then punch the correct answer into my iPhone at a site that is lagged behind mine, and I get a 1000.

Sincerely,

HAQQER

Nobody has a response to this?

I suppose this subject is taboo here also? Not only BORG, but cell phone cheat..

Homers....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:52 am 
Lord of Scaratings

lewser wrote:
lewser wrote:

Sincerely,

HAQQER

I suppose this subject is taboo here also? Not only BORG, but cell phone cheat..

Homers....

I thought it was pretty damn funny.

Not taboo at all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

lewser wrote:
lewser wrote:

Sincerely,

HAQQER

Homers....

everyone knows what he does.

nothing anyone says or does will result in any changes to his behavior.

if it truly bothers you, recruit some surrogates to lobby Buzztime to put a tight GPS lock on the iphone app instead of moaning that Scaratings community isn't the type to work itself into a frenzied self-righteous lynch mob.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

stevej84 wrote:
everyone knows what he does.

nothing anyone says or does will result in any changes to his behavior.

if it truly bothers you, recruit some surrogates to lobby Buzztime to put a tight GPS lock on the iphone app instead of moaning that Scaratings community isn't the type to work itself into a frenzied self-righteous lynch mob.

Well, they were supposed to be working on the GPS lock issue so hopefully they'll get that done.

Haqqer is a member of this site.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
lewser wrote:

Sincerely,

HAQQER

Homers....

What more was there to say? It was succinct, to the point, and funny. Why gild the lily?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:
lewser wrote:
lewser wrote:

Sincerely,

HAQQER

Homers....

What more was there to say? It was succinct, to the point, and funny. Why gild the lily?

I thought HAQQER said he did not Borg. The Cell Phone thing is another story. I know nothing about that.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
I thought HAQQER said he did not Borg. The Cell Phone thing is another story. I know nothing about that.

Do you also believe in Santa Claus?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40 am 
Lord of Scaratings

I recall some Floridian calling him out for borging at his homesite before he got his home install, something like the Woodside Lanes or somesuch.

Anyway, my memory was Haqqer admitted to limited borging, basically "as an experiment".

Post subject: The one you never heard of before...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It's too bad all of the old "ScaRatings" advice on this topic has been lost. So I guess we will have to start all over again.

Here's a tip that is guaranteed to work for you 80% of the time.

When the question lists 5 answers of names of people on a "Countdown" game, and you have no idea as to which one is correct, always go with the person's name you have never heard of before. Yep, sometimes you will get more than one that you have never heard of before, and that makes it a little tougher. Then you will have to guess. However, when there is just one name you have never heard of before, go with it, and 80% of the time you will be right...!

Post subject: Go with alcohol...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Go with alcohol...

(I must give JESSE credit for this one.)

Any time you are at a loss as to what the right answer is, if one of the answers involves alcohol, always go with it. You will be pleasantly surprised how often this will work.

p.s. Cheese is a pretty good guess a lot of times also.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
FrankC wrote:

Do you also believe in Santa Claus?

Yes Virginia, I do.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm 
First Palindrome

My group tends to use rule of 1. We answer 1 if we are clueless. If we can positively eliminate #1 as an answer yet still have no clue, roll down two, etc..

Exceptions include animule questions which we tend to go w/ the bird rule followed closely by the fish rule. Basically if we are clueless on an animule question and there is a bird answer, take it. If no bird, take the fish answer. If both are listed, throw up your hands and yell at NTN :mrgreen:

Ironically there was a question last night (can't recall which game) that was an animule question. One of our team knew it cold and it was neither bird nor fish yet both of those types came up as answers.

I will agree on the "all-except" questions that #5 is prevalent. We generally read bottom up on those.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:41 am 
Centenarian

If it's a music question, always go with the artist or band you've never heard of.

If Richard Thompson shows up as an answer, it's Richard Thompson.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:
If it's a music question, always go with the artist or band you've never heard of.

If Richard Thompson shows up as an answer, it's Richard Thompson.

LOL. My problem is that with many POP Music question, I never heard of any of the artists or bands. If I do not go with 3, I will pick strangest name.

I have been out of touch with POP Music since the early 80's.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:29 pm 
Precinct?

Funny... I always thought most of you folks simply went with whatever answer somebody yelled out first as your "guessing" technique - ch-ching!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:25 pm 
Octogenarian

tuls wrote:
I also use 3 for the CD games. I tend to use 1 for the BT games.

I use 3, but I use *2* for BT b/c my logic is w/ one fewer choice the middle is also one fewer....I'm amazed how often this works....if I've no idea i hit 2 and it works more often than not, but not always, just like 3 w/ five choices....

My mantra is "If I have to think about it, it's probably 3!"

which goes in line of: "if the first words out of my mouth after reading the question are 'I have no idea' I hit 3!"

similarly on questions 5, 10, & 15 more often than not if I have no idea I go w/ 5 (that's my only exception to the go w/ 3 when in doubt rule)

"I Just Smoked Your @$$!!!" (Jes. 4:20)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

When I have no clue of the answer, i usually pick the longest choice. However, if the question is of the form "all are this EXCEPT..." I will usually pick #5.

-- RWM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next