New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: End of STC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:08 pm 
Centenarian

From what I've heard, The Season isn't exactly a real 'sports trivia game'...any first hand opinions? I never play on friday night's so I've got no clue :)

gavv (edit, I had the tv show The League on the brain :) )

Last edited by gavv on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

gavv wrote:
From what I've heard, The League isn't exactly a real 'sports trivia game'...any first hand opinions? I never play on friday night's so I've got no clue :)

Here's what NTN Buzztime says:

"The Season™ is Buzztime's ultimate trivia competition for football junkies and casual fans alike. You don't need to be an expert... Just be a FAN!"

Then again, some schmuck named Larry Foster may have another opinion. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:43 pm 
Himself Fodder

liljol wrote:
gavv wrote:
From what I've heard, The League isn't exactly a real 'sports trivia game'...any first hand opinions? I never play on friday night's so I've got no clue :)

Here's what NTN Buzztime says:

"The Season™ is Buzztime's ultimate trivia competition for football junkies and casual fans alike. You don't need to be an expert... Just be a FAN!"

Then again, some schmuck named Larry Foster may have another opinion. :roll:

A quote from TomD regarding the first game:

Quote:
For those who are curious, of the 44 questions, 17 had absolutely nothing to do with football.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

gavv wrote:
From what I've heard, The Season isn't exactly a real 'sports trivia game'...any first hand opinions? I never play on friday night's so I've got no clue :)

gavv (edit, I had the tv show The League on the brain :) )
It's more football than anything else, but other things show up. A lot of NFL current, some NFL past, but also a bunch of geography, entertainment, science, food, etc. questions, tied loosely to one of the NFL teams or cities. As in what team's stadium is in zip code whatever? Or where would you find a given body part of coach whomever? Or which of these team nicknames has a given biological classification?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I played for the first time last Friday. It isn't a true sports game, for sure. I haven't been paying too much attention to the NFL since hockey season started, but I didn't do too bad in the game (made Top 100).

I just thought the game was too long, but I rarely get to stay out late enough to play the hour long premium games, so I might be mentally rutted in the 15-30 minute game frame of mind.

I did like seeing the updated national scores throughout the game, though. (Saw BRANDYB & the Houston crowd up there, along with SPIEGS and the NOVA gang.)

It isn't a game for sports purists, as BO points out via TomD's post. But even the supposed 'sports' games have had entertainment fluff introduced into them, if I've read the posts correctly.

I think I would have enjoyed the game more if I had some friends to play it with...and WVU wasn't getting the snot kicked out of them at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:33 am 
Himself Fodder

I see that one of the categories for the final STC game is Nebraska Football. I'd bet a lot of money that one of the questions will be about the kicked ball game vs. my Missouri Tigers. One last parting shot towards Mizzou that the game writer loves to stab me with. Although I do find morbid humor in it every time the factoid states "It must suck to be a Mizzou fan".

For good measure I don't suppose the final question could ask who the first athlete on the Wheaties box was? :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:34 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
I see that one of the categories for the final STC game is Nebraska Football. I'd bet a lot of money that one of the questions will be about the kicked ball game vs. my Missouri Tigers. One last parting shot towards Mizzou that the game writer loves to stab me with. Although I do find morbid humor in it every time the factoid states "It must suck to be a Mizzou fan".

For good measure I don't suppose the final question could ask who the first athlete on the Wheaties box was? :cry:

what he didn't tell you is the other category is Colorado football! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

gavv wrote:
what he didn't tell you is the other category is Colorado football! ;)

October 6, 1990 what a day from what I hear.

Now I do remember the Scott Frost to Matt Davison connection I was able to watch that game.

But, the most annoying about CU football would be the Stewart to Westbrook. I don't know how many times I heard that stupid replay. I worked at a sports apparel store in Colorado and we had a plaque that you could listen to that play, every time somebody walked in they would hit the button..

Today, today, today I consider myself myself the luckiest, luckiest man on the face of the Earth.

Attachments:
5th down.jpg
5th down.jpg [ 57.18 KiB | Viewed 8087 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, given that the last destination for Passport was NTN Buzztime's very own (Just Plain Old) Site-Poor Backyard :roll:, it kinda sorta figures that one of the categories for the last Fox Sports Trivia Challenge would be the home town NFL...er, um...team, still likely best remembered as the beaten down losers of SB XXIX. :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:24 am 
Centenarian

Kinda fitting that the final game came down to a margin of < 50 points, even though we thought we'd lost it after missing the two Grand Prix round hockey questions.

gavv

Wonder if a lot of the crowd got pulled off of Rick Barry by the Wilt answer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Still very disappointed to see this game come to an end. After playing probably a minimum of 48 weeks out of the year for the past 8 years it was a Sunday and then Monday tradition. Will certainly continue with the SIQ game on Mondays, but will definitely miss STC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:30 am 
Himself Fodder

gavv wrote:
Kinda fitting that the final game came down to a margin of < 50 points, even though we thought we'd lost it after missing the two Grand Prix round hockey questions.

Figured I was running solo last night but at the last minute teamed up with a good player who always plays on his own.

Had Barry on all 4 but he went with Wilt until it was eliminated. We got 2 on the old hockey Q, I precalled Lady Byng on Martin St. Louis. We got suckered in by Bud Grant. Had a box that had bled only 77 points until the last Q of round 3, damn Nascar. All 5 nailed the last 5 Q's.

I'll miss the first NTN game I ever played way back in the summer of 1992.

And kudos to (those fuckers at) 86th Street. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:35 am 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
gavv wrote:

Figured I was running solo last night but at the last minute teamed up with a good player who always plays on his own.

Had Barry on all 4 but he went with Wilt until it was eliminated. We got 2 on the old hockey Q, I precalled Lady Byng on Martin St. Louis. We got suckered in by Bud Grant. Had a box that had bled only 77 points until the last Q of round 3, damn Nascar. All 5 nailed the last 5 Q's.

I'll miss the first NTN game I ever played way back in the summer of 1992.

And kudos to (those fuckers at) 86th Street. 8-)

Pocono was a pretty easy one for us, we also got bit by Bud Grant. We missed the cricket Q, and a lucky mishit gave shmekl the correct Maple Leafs? answer in Rd 1 that got us 1 of 5 on it. What were the Nebraska Football Qs btw I wonder. We went away from it both times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:06 pm 
Himself Fodder

gavv wrote:
Pocono was a pretty easy one for us, we also got bit by Bud Grant. We missed the cricket Q, and a lucky mishit gave shmekl the correct Maple Leafs? answer in Rd 1 that got us 1 of 5 on it. What were the Nebraska Football Qs btw I wonder. We went away from it both times.

Nailed cricket, got 1 of 5 on the Leafs. But see, we only had 5 boxes, you guys had 11!

The first Nebraska Q was which QB has thrown for the most yards in a season. Only one Neb QB on the list. Lewser knows the 2nd one, I had to choose golf.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Nailed cricket, got 1 of 5 on the Leafs. But see, we only had 5 boxes, you guys had 11!
BO

We only had ten, actually. (Gavv-4; Turbo-2; me-4)
A semi-regular drunk sitting close enough to steal our answers accounts for number eleven.
Not that it mattered, since you could probably tell from our tight scoring that splitting (intentionally, anyway... damn SHMEKL...) wasn't particularly necessary last night.

Splitting... Go big or go home, BO! :P

Man, that's the most that I wanted to win a game in a very long time.
The only thing I'll enjoy about playing SIQ is beating people at it who think it's a better game than STC. Philistines...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:33 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Sports Trivia Challenge definitely a superior game to SIQ. The one thing that SIQ has going for it is the variety of different rounds although tht damn spelling round still needs some tweaking. I typically do quite well in it (48+ points last game), but 10 of those buggers is wayyyy too many, and I very much wish all the bars would get the same letters. The Years round is still very fun but since they started giving the decade it is a bit watered down from "the old days". In the Picture round sometimes the "And 1" is a totally ridiculous question. I can live with the first and last rounds however would like to see those questions asking which baseball stadium is 327 feet down the right field line go away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:
Sports Trivia Challenge definitely a superior game to SIQ. The one thing that SIQ has going for it is the variety of different rounds although tht damn spelling round still needs some tweaking. I typically do quite well in it (48+ points last game), but 10 of those buggers is wayyyy too many, and I very much wish all the bars would get the same letters. The Years round is still very fun but since they started giving the decade it is a bit watered down from "the old days". In the Picture round sometimes the "And 1" is a totally ridiculous question. I can live with the first and last rounds however would like to see those questions asking which baseball stadium is 327 feet down the right field line go away.

I use to agree with the answers being the same throughout the network. But, now I don't especially in SIQ, now you have one full round where that iHACK has to take a zero. Unless of course, the site he remotes into is the same, but there is no telling. One site that has been doing the iPod crap will never win that game, ever. And, that is fine by me..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:02 pm 
Himself Fodder

spotes wrote:
Not that it mattered, since you could probably tell from our tight scoring that splitting (intentionally, anyway... damn SHMEKL...) wasn't particularly necessary last night.

Splitting... Go big or go home, BO! :P

Man, that's the most that I wanted to win a game in a very long time.
The only thing I'll enjoy about playing SIQ is beating people at it who think it's a better game than STC. Philistines...

Great. You stole my splitting strategy that you laughed at and then beat me over the head with it on the last game of STC. Swell.

Yeah, I really wanted to win that game as well. Amazing that it came down to less than one question on one box. Felt the same way during the last game of Restore Order, but eked out the win that time playing solo. In the eastern time zone I suppose.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:11 pm 
U > 100 * 2

TCHCNB wrote:

The main thing of your post that I agree with is the year round, where being given then decade definitely takes away from it.

I think the variety of rounds in Sports IQ is what makes it one of the best games on the whole Buzztime network. STC is a more "pure" trivia game in the style of its questions, seeing as there is almost never historical events present in Sports IQ (mostly just historical statistics or general stuff, as opposed to questions about specific unique events). They are very different in style, but STC being more generic in its question type by no means makes it superior, in my opinion.

Really, they both have a place on the network and are both great games. Getting rid of STC because of The Season is idiotic. They already got rid of SIQ in what turned out to be a bad decision, so we'll see how long until the same conclusion is drawn this time (why do I feel like this is true about every decision they make?).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jethro wrote:
The main thing of your post that I agree with is the year round, where being given then decade definitely takes away from it.

I think the variety of rounds in Sports IQ is what makes it one of the best games on the whole Buzztime network. STC is a more "pure" trivia game in the style of its questions, seeing as there is almost never historical events present in Sports IQ (mostly just historical statistics or general stuff, as opposed to questions about specific unique events). They are very different in style, but STC being more generic in its question type by no means makes it superior, in my opinion.

Really, they both have a place on the network and are both great games. Getting rid of STC because of The Season is idiotic. They already got rid of SIQ in what turned out to be a bad decision, so we'll see how long until the same conclusion is drawn this time (why do I feel like this is true about every decision they make?).

What makes STC better is content. The boring game design is just a plus. :mrgreen:
The first three rounds of SIQ are essentially current events as opposed to just one for STC.
You don't need to be a better sports trivia player to do well at SIQ. You simply need to have newspaper subscription.
And the last two rounds, the ones that really separate those with historical perspective from those that merely watched Sportscenter for the last week, have been made, respectively, both easier and worth less to the overall game scoring.
I've always felt that knowing the first man to turn an unassisted triple play is more impressive than knowing the last one to do so.
STC favors asking about the former and SIQ trends toward the latter.
That's why I've always preferred STC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 pm 
Centenarian

My grandpa couldn't have said it better, god rest his soul:

In Dayton, we'll play the Sports IQ and like it dammit, but we're taking a break for a short while....What year did Jamal Anderson lead the NFC in rushing? God, it's going to take some getting used to this....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:30 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Sportscenter for the last week, have been made, respectively, both easier and worth less to the overall game scoring.
I've always felt that knowing the first man to turn an unassisted triple play is more impressive than knowing the last one to do so.
And because he's an only, knowing Bill Wambsganss is even more interesting, even if spelling his name is more impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:46 pm 
Himself Fodder

focus wrote:
My grandpa couldn't have said it better, god rest his soul:

In Dayton, we'll play the Sports IQ and like it dammit, but we're taking a break for a short while....What year did Jamal Anderson lead the NFC in rushing? God, it's going to take some getting used to this....

Had him in fantasy football that year. IIRC, 1998, 1846 yards, 18 TD's. Got him in the 5th round as my #2 RB!

Have no clue what he did after that year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:48 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

kaufman wrote:
spotes wrote:
Sportscenter for the last week, have been made, respectively, both easier and worth less to the overall game scoring.
And because he's an only, knowing Bill Wambsganss is even more interesting, even if spelling his name is more impressive.

He did it in the 1920 World Series :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

kaufman wrote:

If that ever comes up in the spelling round of SIQ, you're all set. :D
But I'm still of the opinion that the first one by Paul Hines is more wacky.
Sure, there's contention about its official status as unassisted, but the thought of a center fielder turning an unassisted triple play makes me all warm and fuzzy inside...