New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: STC 3/1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:34 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Nicely difficult game last night. I was thinking I would be headed for another finish of 100+, but the rest of "the nation" must have thought it was fairly difficult as well as I ended up 41st. 9 out of 12 in the last round didnt hurt I guess. Hockey is never my strong suit but was able to get both the Trottier and Toronto arena questions.

Again pretty well written game. I expected the last couple weeks to be a bit top heavy in Olympics and that seemed to be the case, but they are very much fair-game questions. I whiffed on all of them in the first round though. The only question I was disappointed to see was the Bassmaster Classic winner. Really, with all the varied things going on in the sports world these days I think we can avoid those types of questions. And Im not complaining about it just because I got it wrong. As I said I whiffed on all the Olympic questions in the first round too, but those are very fair questions. Apart from the fishing question I thought it was a pretty well balanced game.

As a Packer fan it was fun to see a question on Chester Marcol. I think thats the first Marcol question Ive seen in my 8 years of playing! The NBA question on which superstar only lsted 6 years due to injury was a good question too. I suspect there were a few folks who erroneously went with Baylor on that one. Also did not know the baseball season ended on September 2 in 1918. Have to look that one up. Was it due to somethign with WW!?

Post subject: Re: STC 3/1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:
Also did not know the baseball season ended on September 2 in 1918. Have to look that one up. Was it due to somethign with WW!?

The U.S. government made MLB end the season by 9-15-18.
So they ended the regular season early to finish the World Series by the deadline.
Yes, it was because of WWI.
I'm sure there's a joke about Frenchy Bordagaray in here somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it... :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

If I recall correctly...he was the only fisherman up there. Besides...just watching SportsCenter...I knew the answer. Of course...ESPN's Fantasy Fishing contests would have been another way of knowing the correct answer. Congrats on 41st...I know I didn't have a strong game :D

TCHCNB wrote:
The only question I was disappointed to see was the Bassmaster Classic winner. Really, with all the varied things going on in the sports world these days I think we can avoid those types of questions. And Im not complaining about it just because I got it wrong. As I said I whiffed on all the Olympic questions in the first round too, but those are very fair questions. Apart from the fishing question I thought it was a pretty well balanced game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

we thought that we had tanked it as well. None knew hockey particularly well.
Someone just happened to know the fishin' question. I don't mind one curveball question a game.
IIRC, our 14K average put us at 44th. My guess on the rankings was "eh, 60 something".