New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Please bear with me and indulge me as I engage in a brief rant!! I am not a frequent poster here, nor was I on BT Forums, but for those of you who do recall any of my posts regarding STC and SIQ I was nearly always quite tolerant of the line of questions and degree of difficulty the writers put together. HOwever at this point I must take issue with a certain theme and wonder if any othe sports faithful agree with me:

What is the fascination that the writers annually have with the Cactus and Grapefruit League cities that MLB teams train in???? Every STC and SIQ game for the last month has had a question about what team trains in what city. And last night they even went farther!! They asked for the name of the COUNTY in Florida that the Astros train in!! I got the answer correct so dont assume this is sour grapes regarding an incorrect answer. I just think that this line of questoning can be retired. I mean, really, are there not enough other quality current events going on from which to formulate questions? I can tell you what teams train in FLorida and what teams train in Arizona, but to know the exact city (and now even COUNTY!), seems absurd. Its preseason exhibition baseball after all. I am the worlds biggest baseball fan, but dont know (or care) what teams train in MEsa and what teams train in Glendale

I have never been one to bring resources in to a trivia game. It seems like so much cheating to me, but after playing this game consistently for 8 years now and knowing that they do this every year, I will for sure have a printout next year of what teams train in what cities, and will bring it to every STC/SIQ game from late February through the end of March.

Any other regular sports players agree that this is a legitimate gripe, or am I getting too grumpy and cynical in my advanced years? Ok, OK, maybe a couple times in the month of March we can have a spring training location question, but every STC and SIQ game for 5 or 6 weeks? Too much, in one mans humble opinion!

Post subject: Spring Training Baseball Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

5 to 6 spring training baseball questions sprinkled between STC and SIQ from late February to the first week of April is fine with me.

I would want them randomly spread through the time period with some games skipped and one or at most two games with 2 questions.

More than that would be too much for my liking as well. Also I would not want this type of question to run year round.

FWIW, I would much rather guess 1 question in a game about which team has spring training in Glendale or Mesa and have 1 less college gridiron or 1 less Nascar Camping World Truck series question.

Post subject: Re: Sports questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I think it is a legitimate line of questions, but its frequency should be limited.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm 
Himself Fodder

Every March the sports games devote one question per game to spring training sites, this year is nothing new.

Last night's question asked for a National League team, at least two of the teams listed were American League teams and I think a third trains in Arizona. However it worked out, there were only two possible answers, so it's not like we were just drawing lotto balls.

I too know which teams are in the Cactus League and which are in the Grapefruit League, and every question I've seen this year I could at worst narrow it down to two choices, which I have no issue with, nor do I have an issue with timely topics such as this throughout the year.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I've never particularly cared for ANY questions that are completely irrelevant to actions/results on the field in events that actually count in the standings or have some win/loss significance. That's why I have never bothered to retain spring training sites, uniform numbers, host cities/sponsors for tourneys, bowls, etc.
By my thinking, that Bob Waterfield jersey number question is no better or worse than asking about spring training sites. And yet people would have no qualms about getting those types of questions sprinkled in year round. That's why I just take it like a man this time of year and hope the baseball season starts ASAP so I can start getting clobbered over the head with football training site questions in a couple of months... :cry: :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:22 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Sounds like I missed a good game...dang birthday dinners!! :lol: