New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: STC 1/3/11
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:21 am 
Himself Fodder

Updated schedule shows STC starting at 8c. STC page shows the game starting at 8c starting 1/3/11. Naturally the game started at 630c same as during QB1 season. Wonder how many players missed out due to this tonight? Same thing happens every year, never have figured out why. Luckily I mentioned this possibility to both teammates tonight and the three of us made sure we were there by 630.

On a lighter note, every time there's a Mizzou category I am remembered that somebody at BT still loves me. Tonight the 2nd category question was "How many times has Mizzou's basketball team reached the Final Four?" Unfortunately the answer is zero, and the factoid stated, "It must really suck to be a Mizzou fan". For the record, that's the third time (that I know of) BT has used that exact factoid when discussing Mizzou sports teams. Plus the other Mizzou question dealt with a star basketball player shooting himself in the foot!

And I also think we may be having a discussion about an individual score from this game. On that note I'm wondering about crossovers from the sports channel.

BO

Post subject: Re: STC 1/3/11
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I was screwed by BT's quality control incompetence once again. I showed up at 700 central to play an hour of trivia before sports only to find the "You Choose" round just finishing up. I was seething!! I should have known better and shown up at the regular time figuring that it was very possible that there would be a screw up. It's not like it hasnt happened before. My own fault.......

I also am wondering about whats going on with BUG lately: A very near perfecto 2 weeks ago, a 26600 last week, and a perfecto last night??????? Ive been doing this every week for 8 years and have never seen a streak like that from ANYBODY! I know Gordie is one of the best in the nation in sports (I have played with him personally many times....He is the one that got me hooked on this). But Im not sure I can explain this. I know from experience that he is not opposed to taking answers from anyone in the bar, but really, when it comes to sports who is he going to get answers from? I know he does play a ton of sports trivia games. Maybe as BO suggests there could be many cross-over questions? This is truly an odd 3-week stretch of scores.........

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:34 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

A friend had called me and tried to get me to play Monday and he mentioned the new starting time... glad I couldn't make it. How can you get something so simple as when a game is played screwed up?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 pm 
Himself Fodder

TCHCNB wrote:
I also am wondering about whats going on with BUG lately: A very near perfecto 2 weeks ago, a 26600 last week, and a perfecto last night??????? Ive been doing this every week for 8 years and have never seen a streak like that from ANYBODY! I know Gordie is one of the best in the nation in sports (I have played with him personally many times....He is the one that got me hooked on this). But Im not sure I can explain this. I know from experience that he is not opposed to taking answers from anyone in the bar, but really, when it comes to sports who is he going to get answers from? I know he does play a ton of sports trivia games. Maybe as BO suggests there could be many cross-over questions? This is truly an odd 3-week stretch of scores.........

I think I may have something on this, give me a bit to post some info. If I'm right, BUG has seen the questions before but is not doing anything shady.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:00 pm 
Himself Fodder

Here is the STC page from BT: http://www.buzztime.com/sports-trivia-challenge.html

Note that the game is replayed on the sports channel at noon on Tuesday and Thursday. LEWSER pointed this out to me a couple of weeks ago, didn't think much of it at the time.

Here are all of BUG's STC games from the last six months: http://www.buzztime.com/players/bt_prof ... tp=gh&d=12

The non-ranked games are those played on the sports channel because they're flagged as repeats.

Here are BUG's games for the last four weeks:

M 12/13 22189
R 12/16 20908

34 questions answered in both games. Why would his score in a repeat game be lower than three days prior?

M 12/20 28482! (8 points from perfect!)
T 12/21 27889

This is a Tuesday game, repeated just a few hours after Monday. The 700 point difference can be attributed to the fact he did not answer one question this game.

R 12/23 19297

Two days later supposedly seeing the same game for the third time in four days he scores 9k less and answered all the questions this time.

M 12/27 26470

2k from perfect but still wins the nation handily. 9 players played this game locally, I hypothesize that this could be attributed to the different questions in the category round.

R 12/30 21806

3 days later and almost 5k less in a repeat game again answering all the questions?

M 1/3 28500! (perfect)

From these numbers, it appears that Monday's premium game on the trivia channel is indeed replayed at noon on Tuesday on the sports channel. But Thursday's game on the sports channel is in fact the upcoming premium game to be played the following Monday on the trivia channel.

These numbers are pretty damning IMO. However, if this is indeed the case, I do not fault BUG one bit. The fault lies totally with BT and their fucking ignorance of airing a premium game beforehand on a different channel.

BO

Last edited by -BO- on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
I think I may have something on this, give me a bit to post some info. If I'm right, BUG has seen the questions before but is not doing anything shady.

BO

It looks like BT has stopped listing repeat games with an asterisk. I know damn well the game I played at 3:30 PST at PTs was a straight repeat from the same time slot last week, but it counted as a legit game and it was not. Can BT ever get their shit straight?

I know BUG is a very solid player, but smoking the nation by nearly 5k a few weeks back, and 2.5k last night. This is a BT problem, and they need to fix it ASAP. But, I bet they could give two shits about anything being accurate. I guess it will be difficult to win the nation when playing against someone who has seen the same questions for however many weeks or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It does say on the schedule that STC on the Buzztime Sports is a replay. if the Thursday game is not, then almost EVERYBODY that plays it get a easy gold on Monday (which in rule shouldn't happen). I agree with both of you that Buzztime need to get EVERYTHING in order b4 it blows up in their faces.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:07 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BO's hypothesis makes very good sense. It is a logical explanation how seeing the game the first time on Thursday he has pretty realistic scores right around 20K, then seeing the same game a few days later and the scores are 5-7K higher. I bet that is exactly what is happening.

No one seems willing to fault Gordie, bit it just doesnt seem ethical. After the third week in a row now he knows he is having a distinct advantage. There's hardly anyone in the country that can play Thursday on the sports channel to get the same advantage because we're all working. Yes, ultimately its BT's fault because they again are displaying terrible quality control. I hope they address this soon. As Lewser stated its not that much fun playing against somone who's already seen the questions once.

I think I still have Gordie's email on my home computer. I should email and ask him what the deal is and see how he responds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Sure, it is Buzztimes fault for allowing access to a premium game before it airs. But what does he have to gain by playing an identical game twice? Surely playing the game a second time is not fun, so illegitimately getting meaningless gold medals and seeing his name atop the leader boards is why he does it, which makes him an ass and completely to blame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 am 
Himself Fodder

Jethro wrote:
Sure, it is Buzztimes fault for allowing access to a premium game before it airs. But what does he have to gain by playing an identical game twice? Surely playing the game a second time is not fun, so illegitimately getting meaningless gold medals and seeing his name atop the leader boards is why he does it, which makes him an ass and completely to blame.

For about half a second I thought about playing at noon on Thursday and then throw up a location perfecto on Monday. But what fun would that be for my teammates, or me for that matter? It's not like we play every single week, and if I dig the answers out beforehand, that week is basically shot. BUG plays every single week, so it's not that big a deal if he screws off a week on occasion.

BO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:32 am 
Moderating Hobbit

I dunno, getting the answers to a Premium ahead of time, if even through Buzztime's fault, is pretty crummy. Not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, but really isn't fair to the other STC players, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
I dunno, getting the answers to a Premium ahead of time, if even through Buzztime's fault, is pretty crummy. Not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, but really isn't fair to the other STC players, IMO.

I hope to see my sports trivia player pal DEVO last night. told my SD teammate FLY that if he see him, tell DEVO to see if the Thursday STC is same as he played Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

That might be the only way we'll be able to tell if its fixed. If Thursday's game is the same as last Monday's, then maybe they have it fixed. If it's a different game than last Monday than it's probably next Monday's premium game, which will definitely suck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:20 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

If what you hypothesize is correct, the really embarrassing part for BUG wouldn't be playing repeat premium games for unjustified glory.
It would be the fact that he has only one perfect score in doing so for the last three weeks... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 am 
Moderating Hobbit

spotes wrote:
If what you hypothesize is correct, the really embarrassing part for BUG wouldn't be playing repeat premium games for unjustified glory.
It would be the fact that he has only one perfect score in doing so for the last three weeks... :oops:

Alcohol.

I once played the same game back to back and didn't get a perfect. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I played STC at lunch today and it was in fact a repeat of last week's game. This means that either they fixed it, or the original bug still exists but only happens for certain sites (i.e. it depends on when they download the new game).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bonzo wrote:
I played STC at lunch today and it was in fact a repeat of last week's game. This means that either they fixed it, or the original bug still exists but only happens for certain sites (i.e. it depends on when they download the new game).

Thanx Bonzo. So i hope this is good news for Monday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I fully suspect a monster score coming out of Buffalo Wild Wings, Oakdale, MN this evening. You can call me Karnak if you like.

Vegas odds have it as:

+27628 -195
-27628 + 210

XXX -2855.5 -135
#2 in the nation besides his second board +2855.5 +120

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

lewser wrote:
I fully suspect a monster score coming out of Buffalo Wild Wings, Oakdale, MN this evening. You can call me Karnak if you like.

Vegas odds have it as:

+27628 -195
-27628 + 210

XXX -2855.5 -135
#2 in the nation besides his second board +2855.5 +120

You received a warning message as well, eh, from one of our sports playing peers who keeps tabs on this sort of thing? It's kind of nice to have the heads upso we can at least know the reason why we keep getting smoked so bad on Monday nights.

Along with that however, it woudl be nice if NTN could get their act together and keep this sort of thing from happening. It doesnt seem like that would be asking too much, does it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:
You received a warning message as well, eh, from one of our sports playing peers who keeps tabs on this sort of thing? It's kind of nice to have the heads upso we can at least know the reason why we keep getting smoked so bad on Monday nights.

Along with that however, it woudl be nice if NTN could get their act together and keep this sort of thing from happening. It doesnt seem like that would be asking too much, does it?

No warning message for me. I figured it out on my own..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

If someone wouldnt mind informing me, how does one find the results for the supposed "repeat" game of STC that is played on Thursday noon? I dont know where to find that on the Buzztime website. I wouldnt mind taking a look at that myself.

If someone doesnt mind taking a minute and leading me through that I would appreciate it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Well, Bug was #1 on SIQ last night. I checked the shedule, doesn't look lile BT is replaying it on the sports channel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
Well, Bug was #1 on SIQ last night. I checked the shedule, doesn't look lile BT is replaying it on the sports channel.

Last nights game is fine, STC, not SIQ.... I was talking about tonight's game, big score because the questions have been seen before, like last Thursday..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:
If someone wouldnt mind informing me, how does one find the results for the supposed "repeat" game of STC that is played on Thursday noon? I dont know where to find that on the Buzztime website. I wouldnt mind taking a look at that myself.

If someone doesnt mind taking a minute and leading me through that I would appreciate it

Go to that person's trivia ranking, where you can see the scores over the past six months/averages, and the down arrow it will say something like qualifying games, and some other stuff, click on list all games... All games will show partial games, repeats, and the like..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Found it! Thanks for the info.

Looks like we are in for a fairly difficult game tonight if BUG wasnt able to crack 20K on the first go around.

Youre right, I would suspect a monster score and a first in the nation tonight from him............

I did send him an email couple weeks ago asking him if he was playing a repeat game on Monday nights with his very high scores. I never got a reply..................