New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: We *MIGHT* be dropping Buzztime
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:

Does it pay for itself? Possibly but it is a close call. We have some daytime players who drink heavily and at least two groups per week that average 8-10 players spending maybe $25-30 each. Even discounting fixed expenses such as rent and utilities and salaries, it's still a close call.

You sound somewhat like the last remaining site that had buzztime here. The owner kept it for 5 years before dropping it before the start of this year. About 2-3 years in, the owner told me he doesn't make any money off it, he might even slightly lose money, but it was fun to have (his words).

They had three players that would show up for lunch every weekday, even sometimes on weekends. They also had another two players that would show up 5-6 times each evening. And then they had a handful of semi-regulars. I haven't set foot in the place since they dropped trivia. If the daily regulars are still showing up, then he made the right decision. But if they stopped coming in when he dropped trivia, then there probably wasn't a need to drop the game.

One thing to consider is the quality of play at the bar. Is it good enough to make the leaderboards? If so, that's advertising for the bar. Other players, even very average players, notice that and will visit the bars that they see on the leaderboards. I'm sure a lot of bar owners don't factor that in, but that's additional business they wouldn't be getting if not for their name popping up over & over again on the leaderboards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:29 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I went out to play this TapTV tonight.
I experienced the sadly familiar procedure of a) the bartendrix not knowing what I was talking about and b) the manager claiming it wasn't working because of some combination of not having the right setup, or the right support from corporate or the right support from AMI because of whomever being too busy.

TapTV/AMI has a feedback form on the app for comments. So absolutely I offered a comment:

[So here I am at a listed TapTV location, Hooters of West Covina California. Friday evening December 5. They (the manager included) are offering excuses for why they are not able/willing to turn the game on for me. Something about not having the right equipment yet, something about an HDMI setup and how they are getting no help from their corporate or from TapTV because people are too busy or whatever. This is the same kind of story I often hear from a location that is too unwilling to deal with the hassle of having Buzztime, your competitor in this arena. Are you willing to look into this and let me know what is true here?]

They also have a tech support phone number on the app, which I called after leaving the location. The person seemed quite surprised that a player, not someone affiliated with the location, would have his number. But he collected my report that I couldn't play there.

So far, my personal scoring of the new Buzztime vs. TapTV/AMI trivia war of 2013/2014 is

Buzztime 0, TapTV 0.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Something tells me that any Hooters, West Covina or elsewhere, will have the same problem with TapTV that NTN Buzztime had...the generally annoying presence of those Hooter Girls... :roll: :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:52 pm 
Himself Fodder

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. Something tells me that any Hooters, West Covina or elsewhere, will have the same problem with TapTV that NTN Buzztime had...the generally annoying presence of those Hooter Girls... :roll: :lol:

I'd love to see a Hooter's girl deliver an O'Douls before attempting to suffocate you with ample cleavage in the middle of a question late in a perfect game.

Hooters Girl: How'd you like my tits in your face you sexy lil' trivia stud?

LILJOL: You ignorant slut! Can't you see I've got a perfect game going?!?! Leave me alone!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
-BO- wrote:
liljol wrote:

I'd love to see a Hooter's girl deliver an O'Douls before attempting to suffocate you with ample cleavage in the middle of a question late in a perfect game.

LILJOL: You ignorant slut! Can't you see I've got a perfect game going?!?! Leave me alone!

Been there. Seen that. Heh, heh. :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:03 am 
Centenarian

whales wrote:
I went out to play this TapTV tonight.
I experienced the sadly familiar procedure of a) the bartendrix not knowing what I was talking about and b) the manager claiming it wasn't working because of some combination of not having the right setup, or the right support from corporate or the right support from AMI because of whomever being too busy.

TapTV/AMI has a feedback form on the app for comments. So absolutely I offered a comment:

[So here I am at a listed TapTV location, Hooters of West Covina California. Friday evening December 5. They (the manager included) are offering excuses for why they are not able/willing to turn the game on for me. Something about not having the right equipment yet, something about an HDMI setup and how they are getting no help from their corporate or from TapTV because people are too busy or whatever. This is the same kind of story I often hear from a location that is too unwilling to deal with the hassle of having Buzztime, your competitor in this arena. Are you willing to look into this and let me know what is true here?]

They also have a tech support phone number on the app, which I called after leaving the location. The person seemed quite surprised that a player, not someone affiliated with the location, would have his number. But he collected my report that I couldn't play there.

So far, my personal scoring of the new Buzztime vs. TapTV/AMI trivia war of 2013/2014 is

Buzztime 0, TapTV 0.

It is discouraging to hear of a location having problems such as that. I do suspect that it may be like many corporate locations such as many BWWs--Corporate tells them they must have the game but the location managers could care less whether it works or not.

The locations I talked to were quite pleased with the game and with the service they have received so far. However, they were independent locations, not corporate, so I'm sure they were more likely to tend to its maintenence. Our local BWW has 40 boxes and we were lucky to find 10 that worked on any particular night.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:48 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Yesterday I stopped by two of Tap TV locations in Louisville. The first stop was at a locally owned pizza chain. They had as many televisions as a BW3 and even some in each booth. I sat in a booth and asked the server to change the booth tv to trivia. She then informed me that they just took trivia out. Funny thing was they were still listed on the app and I could still play off their location. I left and went to the other Tap TV location that was in a local bar down the street. That location only had 6 televisions and one was being used for the new Keno game. They were busy and sports was on the remaining televisions. I asked the bartender about trivia and was told they stopped using it since they got the Keno game last month. Everyone was watching a football or basketball game. There was no chance of trivia being put on one of the remaining screens. I gave up trying to play Tap TV trivia. The other two locations where across the river and I did not feel like going over there and hearing the same story. Sorry I was not much help about the game. I will keep the app and if a location comes up somewhere else I will check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Sounds like the too often seen clueless workers at NTN BT sites are also in evidence at TapTV sites. :lol:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
liljol wrote:

Nuts, you young grumpy bastard. :lol: My reaction would be more like...

MOVE YOUR FUCKING ASS OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY, I CAN'T SEE THE FUCKING SCREEN!!!

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:00 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

We'll see if AMI responds to my feedback form during the business day tomorrow. Between me and Cards, that's three TapTV locations visited at random and the game not being available on request at any of them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:

Like the Buzztime app it also has a site finder. You type in a location i.e "Dallas", "Louisville" etc. And it gives you any locations within 30 miles. Of course it also accesses the GPS in your device.

Yeah, I just meant I wish I could see the sites first before downloading the app. I caved and downloaded it, and, not surprisingly, there are no sites within 30 miles of my location.

But once you download the app, you can enter any zip code, and it will reveal the closest sites from said zip code. It did give me six sites in Pittsburgh, albeit most of which are dive bars or smoking bars. I might check out one of the listed sites since I don't know a thing about that particular place, but I wonder if they'll even have the game on, too.

Btw, I hit play game for the heck of it at 12:38pm. It said your game will begin at 12:40 AM :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:19 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

This is all very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:22 pm 
Centenarian

scar wrote:
This is all very interesting.

Interesting and disheartening as well. I wish SOMEONE can find a bar SOMEWHERE with the game up and running.

And, Whales, I would like to know if you get a response from AMI. That will speak volumes about their commitment to this game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:05 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Nope, no response at all to my use of the feedback form on the app.

So I went back in to the app and sent this follow-up:

"Last Friday December 6 I used this feedback form to write to you regarding the inability (or secret unwillingness) of one of your listed play locations to activate and show the game so that I could play. (West Covina California Hooters).
I and other players of Buzztime, your competitor, are curious as to why either, your feedback form does not work, or you are unresponsive to potential players.
I could also introduce you to an online forum of Buzztime players if you would like to correspond with some about your product.
Please respond.
Regards."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Toot, toot! This from Tap TV / AMI Entertainment:

[We are working on it, although I don't have any update to share.

I will update you though, as soon as I get a status report from Hooters Covina, or Hooters Corporate or their video installer.

Gordon Anderson
TAP tv]

and my response:

[Thank you Gordon! I am happy for the reply and looking forward to checking out your game product as the alternative to Buzztime.
I can promise you that I will check it out when you are able to confirm it operates at West Covina. Thanks again.
Regards,
Chris W., Ontario Calif.]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:33 am 
Phosphorus

I downloaded the app yesterday evening, and it shows 4 locations within the 30 mile radius, 2 non-test, 2 test.

Since I'll be in the area of the two non-test places, I'm going to try to head there today to see if I can successfully use the app/play a game at least at one of them. I'll be curious, since my phone is a pretty old HTC Thunderbolt, running a custom ROM. (the first Playmaker apps did a lot of battery usage to my phone, which wasn't a great battery handling one in the first place).

I might also bring my old iPod Touch to try it out (assuming wifi is active there)

Warren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:06 pm 
Centenarian

UPDATE:

I haven't updated this post in a while because frankly there wasn't much to report till now.

Expansion into the adjoining space is going well with the exception of some city permitting issues. But those are being resolved. So full speed ahead.

On the trivia front, I found finally made contact with the person who will provide the TapTV service to us if we so choose. I must say the price is quite attractive. It is approximately one third of what we pay for Buzztime. At that price, I may consider getting service to my house if that is allowed.

My partners are pretty well sold on the idea. And it is hard to argue against something that puts more dollars in our pocket. But the decision is still being put off till we finish our expansion.

I also called several more sites that were listed on the app. Out of about 10 places that I called only one was dissatisfied with it. The other nine or so were very enthusiastic. I still would like a diehard Buzztime player's review of the game,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

B O D wrote:
Does it pay for itself? Possibly...We have some daytime players who drink heavily...

This, folks, is the importance of Lunchtime Trivia. ;)

Carry on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:31 am 
Phosphorus

B O D wrote:
UPDATE:

<snipped>

I also called several more sites that were listed on the app. Out of about 10 places that I called only one was dissatisfied with it. The other nine or so were very enthusiastic. I still would like a diehard Buzztime player's review of the game,

Well, here we go.

A few days ago, I went to the 4th and Goal Sports Bar in Grill in Winston, where they had this going. There were two of their TVs on this, although I came in at a slow time (early Friday afternoon). The game schedule for the time was a thing called "Trivia U", which had some pop culture and some tricky questions. I only got to play this one - there is a schedule, and perhaps I'll aim to get a premium or different game some other time.

The Trivia U game is laid out like "Late Shift" and old Wipeout. 4 answers, decreasing score, no clues. 12 questions, short 2 minute break between groups of 6. The TV would show scores for the question being answered, but not for the total every time like the Buzztime layout would.

The app worked well for the most part - there's an icon denoting Apple/Android, although this can be incorrect, as when I used the iPod touch later, it didn't change from the Android icon. It didn't drop me off like the playmaker app did at times when it first started. However, in order to see stats, you have to rotate the phone (this shows past questions/scores), and several times it locked up my older Android phone, and I missed being able to enter two-three questions before I could get things back. This is highly unacceptable IMO.

Not many people playing: it said 120 usually nationally on the TV (although my screenshots had more for a couple of games, not sure why), and it appears to calculate the site score based on how many you have and averaging that. IOW, you have one person, your site avg is just that. You have four people, and one is absent and has 0 points, you get hit for that. (I got a #1 in the country, and the three-four playing at our site got #1 in one game, although it wasn't very hard to do) It appears there is a true national component - no east/west split.

The workers at the bar were aware of the game, and as I said, had it on the TV already. Talking to a couple of locals, I wasn't too sure of how many repeat questions/games they had, although they may have had some.

My thinking is this is a decent first attempt, but if you have been used to Buzztime and the stats/etc they have, you probably aren't going to be happy with this *yet*. I know you may not want a carbon copy of Buzztime, but certainly the presentation and all is not up to snuff in my mind, at least for this game. I especially think the quality and number of people yet needs to grow before most people will be happy about it (I got there for 5 of 12 questions at once and still was a top 20 national one). And there isn't a website yet to keep your results and such.

BT has been doing this for a while, and it shows. However, this is something that might get some traction down the road, but the interface needs to improve a lot I think to get the hardcore trivia people, especially from ones brought up w/Buzztime. IMO.

A couple of app screenshots. The TV screen pic I had was too big to be uploaded. Gotta size it first.

Attachment:
Screenshot_2014-01-17-17-36-39.png
Screenshot_2014-01-17-17-36-39.png [ 79.84 KiB | Viewed 2802 times ]

Attachment:
Screenshot_2014-01-17-17-08-06.png
Screenshot_2014-01-17-17-08-06.png [ 48.25 KiB | Viewed 2802 times ]

Warren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 pm 
Centenarian

Thanks for your effort in posting this review.

I was especially curious as to how national rankings were handled. Apparently not as well as Buzztime.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:03 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Interesting.

Thanks to WOOF and B O D for the updates.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:

I was especially curious as to how national rankings were handled. Apparently not as well as Buzztime.

Thanks again.

You know it is bad when it isn't as good as Buzztime, especially when Buzztime doesn't even have National rankings for a majority of the day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:09 pm 
Phosphorus

B O D wrote:

Thanks again.

No problem. I was curious, and in a position to help (and have a beverage or two during it, so....)

Again, there wasn't a lot of people, so the whole "national rankings" wasn't much at all, and that's what it looked like to me to be doing when it did the "site" scores. I'd be curious to see if they have screens up during heavier crowd times, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I have a friend that owns a small bar in the area, and has been looking at trivia options. While buzztime is expensive to install, he may be going that direction. He talked to the folks at AMI about installing TAPTV and although it is far less expensive to install and has lower monthly costs for the trivia, they want royalties from every song played on the jukebox and used for karaoke. Bottom line is AMI is too invasive into other operations to make it worth his while.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:03 pm 
Centenarian

Sorry for not updating this thread for a while. I have simply not had the chance to logon to the site lately.

First of all, our expansion into the neighboring space and adding a kitchen has been wildly successful. Sales (food and alcohol) have been more than double our pre-expansion numbers. While rent, utilities, payroll etc, rose, we are more profitable than ever.

As far as dropping Buzztime goes, it won't happen as long we are making the money we are now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next