New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hard Times Germantown MD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well hello to all that made it over to Scarland.

I little about Hardtimes for those that haven't been there yet.

Hard Times is a huge bar/pool hall. All the usual beers and about 10 craft beers on tap that change often. 2 happy hours, from 4 to 8pm & 9pm to close. Good prices.

The main food is chili served in many ways. Texas, Cinncinnati, chili macs, plus the usual burgers, wings, steaks and stuff.

The BT players all sit at the bar which is a large horseshoe shape. We play team and shoot for a top score which gets us all a free shooter. There are about 25 pool tables, 8 dart boards, 2 Golden Tees, video games and an outdoor tiki bar/smoking area. (no BT out there) There are 2 big 30' floor to roof tv screens and many other plasma tvs.

Germantown is about 20 miles NW of DC in the suburbs. Hardtimes is very close to I-270, the main interstate heading into DC. There are 3 hotels in walking distance to the bar.

If anyone is coming through DC please stop in for a few games. The best nights to find us are Wed, Fri & Sat. Send a PM and I'll round up the troops.

See you on the boards.

BUD - Hardtimes Germantown MD

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

Post subject: Re: Hard Times Germantown MD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

An update on that 1st Hardtimes post from 2 years ago today.

Not much has changed, the food and beers are the same. The BT players still all sit at the big bar, playing as a team, yelling answers up and down the bar bothering the non playing customers. :mrgreen: It is possible to get BT on a TV over at the tables it's just doesn't happen much.

The late night happy is gone, HH is just 4 to 8pm now.

We now have Live Trivia on Wed. from 730 to 930. Very good, challenging game. We play BT at the same time against about 12 teams who are not playing BT. It's very strange, these other teams are good at trivia yet have never picked up a playmaker and only come in on Wed nights for the live trivia. ??

Wed, Fri & Sat nights are still the best times to find players at Hardtimes Cafe if you happen to be coming through the DC area.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

On those live trivia teams choosing not to bang away at NTN BT, I'd suggest that they don't because there is no immediate prize available if they win (am also assuming that the live trivia host provides a prize or prizes of bar cash/script).

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
On those live trivia teams choosing not to bang away at NTN BT, I'd suggest that they don't because there is no immediate prize available if they win (am also assuming that the live trivia host provides a prize or prizes of bar cash/script).

Very true my ILL buddy. :mrgreen:

Live trivia pays $50, $15 & $10 in house cash good for drinks/food.

When are you making your next trip to the DC area? Bill is waiting to drive you around in his Viper. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:

We now have Live Trivia on Wed. from 730 to 930. Very good, challenging game. We play BT at the same time against about 12 teams who are not playing BT. It's very strange, these other teams are good at trivia yet have never picked up a playmaker and only come in on Wed nights for the live trivia. ??

Getaway has Live Music Trivia once a month, on a Friday or Saturday (usually Saturday). The place often gets pretty packed for that, although surprisingly -- and thankfully since it starts during Playback -- rarely do any of the teams pick up a playmaker to play buzztime.

Although, when they first debuted this event at Getaway, a lot of teams mistakenly thought they had to use the playmaker to play Live Trivia. As a result, I think we barely had 5 boards for Playback that night. That made us grumpy that night :x

The live trivia game is very weak (Playback is a real trivia game) so we never play it unless we're really bored or they're short on teams.

The prizes are also extremely weak - usually there's three rounds played per night. For reach round, $5 off your bar bill is given to the first place team, $3 to the second place team, and $1 to the third place team. And that's not even per player - it's for the entire team.

Despite the meager prizes, the place still often gets jam packed for the event. We don't understand why either.

But it's definitely a cash cow for the bar's bottom line.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:53 pm 
Centenarian

Hey, BUD. Saw the post about Hardtimes, and just wanted to say hi.

A group of trivia players from Shenanigans took a week-long trip to DC this fall, and we tried to sqeeze a visit to Hardtimes into our schedule, but we just didn't get there. There was just too much to do in such a short trip. We flew in on a Wednesday, and out the following Wednesday, so it was all but impossible to join you for Six. Maybe we can get there again. It was a very enjoyable trip.

B O D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:
Hey, BUD. Saw the post about Hardtimes, and just wanted to say hi.

A group of trivia players from Shenanigans took a week-long trip to DC this fall, and we tried to sqeeze a visit to Hardtimes into our schedule, but we just didn't get there. There was just too much to do in such a short trip. We flew in on a Wednesday, and out the following Wednesday, so it was all but impossible to join you for Six. Maybe we can get there again. It was a very enjoyable trip.

B O D

Hey B O D, too bad we missed your trip to the area. We do play on other nights besides Wednesday. Fri and Sat. would have worked if you had time. Also we would have come out on any night that was good for you, just let me know next time that you'll be around and we will gather on whatever day you like.

Same goes for any other players coming through the DC/MD area. Just send me a PM with the days you'd like to visit and I will get the red carpet out. :mrgreen: The main team does normally play on Wed, Fri & Sat evenings but we would play any day you like. Free shots for #1s.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 am 
Centenarian

Our schedule was pretty tight. We tried to cram a month's worth of sights into a week trip. We hit all the main Smithsonians and most of the monuments as well as the Capital, LOC, and the Archive. Plus a day trip to Gettysburg. Another week would have been nice, but alas.

We play other nights as well, but Wednesday is by far the favorite. That harkens back to the old Passport days.

My wife wants to go back to DC so if we do I will let you know. And if, for any strange reason, you find yourself in West Texas let me know and we will take care of you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:50 am 

So close and yet so far. You have to go through Germantown to get to Gettysburg from DC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 pm 
Centenarian

We were painfully aware of that fact. Instead of renting a van for the Gettysburg run, the group opted to take a bus tour. A van would have allowed us to stop by on the return trip.

But the tour was nice, too. Truly felt as if we were standing on hallowed ground. It even sparked my history-challenged wife to start reading up on the Civil War. That, my friends, is an accomplisment!