New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: StringZ and WingZ, Streetsboro, OH
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:14 pm 
Centenarian

Why, in the age of $4/gallon gas, would I make a bar 15.8 miles away my home site? They've earned it.

When The Fellowship was looking for a new Showdown home after Damon's in Twinsburg had closed, we tried numerous places who were either indifferent or inadequate. StringZ owner "Chef Bill" Thompson offered to become a 20-box site if we made the commitment, and last year, The Fellowship voted overwhelmingly to make StrngZ their Tuesday night home. Chef Bill, true to his word, went to 20 boxes, and there's no buyer's remorse.

For tournaments, they bring extra boxes in.

On other nights, the play is hit or miss, but some strong players in the area for business have stopped in, including COLTFN from the legendary TGIFriday's in Louisville. Local play has also stepped up, as some of the regulars have picked up Playmakers after seeing the Fellowship in action, and some have joined our benevolent chaocracy.

There are numerous hotels nearby, and on big party nights, StringZ will shuttle its patrons, free of charge, to their destinations up to 15 miles away.

StringZ serves a small blue-collar town, and its prices are wallet-friendly. It promotes its "Happy Dayz," instead of Happy Hour, and from opening until 8pm seven days a week, a 22-ounce Sierra Nevada can be yours for $4. The tap selection is not extensive, but it features two Great Lakes Brewing Company beers at all times, along with an offering from Thirsty Dog Brewing as well as Sierra Nevada, along with the standard fare including Yuengling.

There's no such thing as bad food at StringZ, and the portions can conservatively be described as generous. From the ovens of StringZ come the biggest calzones I've ever seen, and Chef Bill's ribs are extraordinary.

When Chef Bill announced his plans to move to new digs in that city to The Fellowship, ANON said "You're the best host we've ever had. And we've played plenty of places!"

I, myself, have never played in a more inclusive, trivia-friendly bar, and StringZ would make a great host for a trivia bash. Thus, even at 15.8 miles at $4 a gallon and 50 cents on the Turnpike, StringZ is my new trivia home. If your travels take you to Greater Cleveland, PM me here, and I'll try to get a game or three in with you.

Post subject: Re: StringZ and WingZ, Streetsboro, OH
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

bigdog216 wrote:
There's no such thing as bad food at StringZ, and the portions can conservatively be described as generous. From the ovens of StringZ come the biggest calzones I've ever seen, and Chef Bill's ribs are extraordinary.

When Chef Bill announced his plans to move to new digs in that city to The Fellowship, ANON said "You're the best host we've ever had. And we've played plenty of places!"

I, myself, have never played in a more inclusive, trivia-friendly bar, and StringZ would make a great host for a trivia bash. Thus, even at 15.8 miles at $4 a gallon and 50 cents on the Turnpike, StringZ is my new trivia home. If your travels take you to Greater Cleveland, PM me here, and I'll try to get a game or three in with you.

Pretty good words there. I'll definitely drop by next time I'm up that way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:22 am 
Lotsa Posta

I might add that a couple of hotels are within walking or stumbling distance. We stayed at one of them when we were there and it was an enjoyable experience. It will be hard to find a friendlier group of players.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:57 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

I've been wanting to join The Fellowship on a Tuesday for a while now, and I'll be in Ohio for Triviapalooza anyway. I don't suppose any of you live near the Akron or Cleveland bus terminals?

(I tried to work out something with Anon last year, but the scheduling didn't work. This year, however, I'm going west-to-east)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:

One of the things that prompted this exchange was how Chef Bill is accommodating us on the move to the new (larger) location in April. Two things stand out:

1) They were originally planning on closing the old location on Sunday, April 15, moving everything over the next few days, and opening in the new location (not far down the road) on Wednesday, April 18. When I told him that this was going to be in the middle of the new Traveling Trophy tournament, he said (without a moment's hesitation), "Oh, OK--we'll let you in to the old place that Tuesday night so you can play." This would, I assume, mean they will be paying staff to attend just to us for that night, too. Wow.

2) When they were doing the interior redesign of the new location, they went out of their way to create a special room--away from the noise and with its own large screen--that will be our playing area. Double Wow.

Such attention to the concerns of trivia players is rare, and I believe ought to be rewarded. I drive even farther than Bigdog to get there, but I think it is well worth the trip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
I've been wanting to join The Fellowship on a Tuesday for a while now, and I'll be in Ohio for Triviapalooza anyway. I don't suppose any of you live near the Akron or Cleveland bus terminals?

Let me know when we get closer to the date, and I'm sure we'll be able to arrange a ride for you. We sincerely hope you can make it, and look forward to playing with you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:33 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

ANON wrote:
1) They were originally planning on closing the old location on Sunday, April 15, moving everything over the next few days, and opening in the new location (not far down the road) on Wednesday, April 18. When I told him that this was going to be in the middle of the new Traveling Trophy tournament, he said (without a moment's hesitation), "Oh, OK--we'll let you in to the old place that Tuesday night so you can play." This would, I assume, mean they will be paying staff to attend just to us for that night, too. Wow.

2) When they were doing the interior redesign of the new location, they went out of their way to create a special room--away from the noise and with its own large screen--that will be our playing area. Double Wow.

Such attention to the concerns of trivia players is rare, and I believe ought to be rewarded. I drive even farther than Bigdog to get there, but I think it is well worth the trip.

If you can also arrange a meeting with Chef Bill so I can shake his hand, that would be appreciated, too. This is the gold-pressed latinum standard of customer service!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Visiting your site is on my list for this summer, if I remain welcome. I'd probably drop by some weeks before the Triviapalooza crowd.

If necessary to earn my welcome, I would bring cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

WB TANAKA wrote:
Visiting your site is on my list for this summer, if I remain welcome. I'd probably drop by some weeks before the Triviapalooza crowd.

If necessary to earn my welcome, I would bring cookies.

But of course you are quite welcome! Cookies are not necessary, but if you bring some I'm pretty sure you'd have some takers. Your first beer, on the other hand, is on me.

Please let me know when you plan to come and we'll make sure you get a warm reception.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
If you can also arrange a meeting with Chef Bill so I can shake his hand, that would be appreciated, too. This is the gold-pressed latinum standard of customer service!

Will do. By the way, I hope you don't mind that I passed on this quite appropriately geeky assessment of the situation on to the team in this week's update. I'm pretty sure no one will need a translation. :D