New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Divorcing my Home Site?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:24 am 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:
My point is that you are operating under the assumption that we have been fed "the true story" on the WMD question, and the Al-Queda/Iraq questions (among many, many others). Just because the "popular" news media and so forth have "proven" all these things as "facts" just goes to show who is so-called "informed" and uninformed". There is a fairly large (and ever-growing) segment of the population that recognizes that there are so many behind the scenes things occuring that we never find out anything about more than what they want us to, that renders the mainstream news services as poor sources at best as to what is really going on. Do I really care or base any of my world-wide views on some survey that purports PBS viewers to be better informed than FOX viewers? Methinks you have a rather naive view of what is really happening in the world today

Distrust of all media, as you mostly imply there, should lead to agnosticism, though, not conspiracy theories or historical revisionism.

All I know is that politics, news channels and trivia don't mix. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 pm 
Centenarian

Well, after things looked like they would work out after a trial separation, the divorce is final.

Faux "News" reared its ugly head again there, and after I was informed that it would continue to be shown there, I pulled my name and my stats out of Wing Warehouse in Northfield (formerly Scorchers), and transferred the account to another site as of Monday, May 24.

Amazing what happens when a mediocre site loses a decent player. After I transferred, Wing Warehouse's trivia rating had instantly dropped from the high 700s or low 800s to 1202nd. Without my saying another word, other players will also evaporate.

I conservatively (no pun intended) estimate that airing Faux News will cost the old site at least $400 a month.

Tonight, Tuesday, May 25, I played at the new site.

Well, they say revenge is a dish best served cold. I was not looking for revenge, but I was happy to show my now-former site where BIGDOG had gone, with Countdown finishes of 12th and 7th, and new site scores of 10th and 12th in North America. I guess if I had to serve revenge, dishing it out was definitely enjoyed over a few cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ales.

One of the guys at the new place has actually appeared on Jeopardy, and although the greater distance to the new site will restrict my play, I am now facing a higher level of competition, so my lessened play will be more enjoyable.

I told him I am there for now after divorcing my old site. He asked why, and I said "Irreconcilable differences. Fox News."

He said "That would make me divorce a site, too."

Tim and wife Amy at Harpo's? Thanks for the warm welcome, and I look forward to friendly and spirited competition.

Birther bartender at Wing Warehouse who insisted on reinstating that pestilence to the monitors? Consider the last tip you received from me to be your severance payment.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

F'ing lame. I am sure making a stink about something so stupid they are glad you bailed. Anybody who makes such a hassle over something so trivial, probably has them thanking their lucky stars that something so menial pissed someone off so much as to make them leave. Really, over one stupid channel? Most of my friends are about as far from me politically as anyone could possibly be, if they, or I did something like this me/they would be mocked unmercifully until they cried. I hope you enjoy your new site, may they not have the toilet paper go over the top of the roll, instead of under. Wouldn't want to have anyone leave butthurt.

p.s. I am also sure they could give two sh!ts that you made the big board to show them up.

:o

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:41 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I read and re-read and re-re-read the posts on this thread. One phrase stands out, that of the original post.

"all politics aside".

No, it's not. You are not putting politics aside. You are putting your personal taste aside. Want to leave a bar because of what is on one TV, go right ahead. Put politics aside....ignore the TV and pay attention to the TV's that have trivia and other shows. Ask to have one of the other TV's put on the Cartoon Network, Weather Channel or Discovery Channel so you can watch something between games. If the owner of the place wants to put a particular channel on a particular television, it's his/her right. Don't like it, don't watch it. Can't put politics aside, leave.

Perhaps Fox News is more Republican, CNN is more Democratic, and MSNBC is more horse manure. You go to a trivia bar to play trivia. You go to a bowling alley to play bowling. You go to a kareoke bar to prove you can't sing. If there's something on TV you don't like, and you like the bar, don't watch that TV. THAT SIMPLE.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:

...and although the greater distance to the new site will restrict my play...

So, rather than putting your money back into the local economy, you'll instead turn it over to the oil companies to cover your expenses to get to the new site?
By your thinking, isn't that just what Fox News would want...? :o

Seriously though, who has time to watch the news when they're playing trivia? Focus, BIGDOG, focus. :P :mrgreen:

Enjoy your new site.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:12 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Just a simple p.s. to my previous post.

I once quit a bar too, and I'm sure there are others here who have promised to never set foot in another bar again. Mine is (was, they are closed now) Trumps in Georgetown, KY. Reason? Wasn't "all politics aside".

I came in late to play trivia, only to find that all 20+ TV's had one sporting event on. It wasn't a University of Ky game (that I could almost understand, since the bar was 20 miles from the home city of UK). I think it was a second or third game of an NBA championship. No problem. I agree it was a very important game to watch. But to have every single TV in the bar on the same channel was amazing. I could move my eyes, not my head, and watch the same event on 3 TV's at the same time. When I asked to have one, ONE TV on Trivia, I was told by the bartender, "Sorry, not until after the game is over".

I wasn't asking to change 1/2 the TV's that no one was watching. I wasn't asking to change any two TV's that were so close together than a roach couldn't fit between. All I asked was one TV in the corner of the place that no one could care less about, and could still see the game without moving their head. What did I do? I paid for my one beer, didn't finish it, and left. I respect the decision of the bar owner to monopolize all of his televisions on one channel, and I'm sure he respected my decision to go somewhere else. I didn't argue, I didn't whine, and I didn't plaster my opinions of the NBA on anyone else's web forum. I did what I felt was right, and case closed.

Big Dog, I respect your decision to leave a bar because they have one television on a channel you don't like. Agree with it, no. But I do respect it. But don't say "all politics aside" then go on a rant about politics. If it is trivia you want to play, play it, and tune out the other TV's. I couldn't tell you what score is on what TV on any given night because frankly I don't give a hoot about sports, or politics, or anything else. I go to play trivia, and that's my only focus.

Yoda........and now, I must get some sleep. 4:30 am comes early in the am.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:
Well, after things looked like they would work out after a trial separation, the divorce is final.

I know I've said it before, but you are welcome to play with us any Tuesday, BIGDOG. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:33 pm 
Centenarian

Let's put it this way:

I was privileged enough to grow up reading intelligent conservatives, such as William F. Buckley, James Kilpatrick, William Friedman, George Will, Ayn Rand and even Ron Paul when he was a younger man and essentially founded the Libertarian Party.

While I cannot always agree with a conservative argument, if it's well crafted, I can certainly respect it. When Faux News goes so far over the edge that even my own Republican congressman (Steve LaTourette, OH-14) feels the need to call them out on their blatant lies with a "what are you smoking?" comment on the House floor, methinks if I was a conservative, I would not want that bastion of mindless propaganda on my side.

I'm progressive on some matters and conservative on others. I make up my mind on the issues, and I rely on accurate information to make my decisions. Said accuracy is sadly lacking in Faux News. I can honestly say this, given my professional background: If I had ONCE put into print the blatant lies Faux News broadcasts every day, I would have been fired immediately, and my employer would likely have been sued out of existence.

Fueled by people like Glenn Beck, Shawn Hannity and Bill O'Reilly, in difficult times, misguided wackos have made a record number of threats to members of Congress and other government officials.

A fatal shooting at a Tennessee Unitarian church and the murder of a Kansas OB/GYN while attending services in his own church were committed by disturbed right-wing nuts reading, watching and listening to the work of libelous and slanderous conservative demagogues, all of which had association with Faux News or right-wing talk radio (Michael Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly).

When I go to a bar and have the bartender telling me our president is not an American citizen and other patrons saying that global warming does not exist (when it was 80+ in April in Cleveland), they are obviously Faux News watchers. And yes, I'll drive 20 miles the other way to not have to tolerate them.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:54 pm 
Himself Fodder

bigdog216 wrote:
and other patrons saying that global warming does not exist (when it was 80+ in April in Cleveland), they are obviously Faux News watchers.

Holy crap. Are you saying global warming does exist simply because it was 80+ in April in Cleveland?

This thread is going to get really funny really fast.

BO

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:10 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
bigdog216 wrote:
and other patrons saying that global warming does not exist (when it was 80+ in April in Cleveland), they are obviously Faux News watchers.

Holy crap. Are you saying global warming does exist simply because it was 80+ in April in Cleveland?

This thread is going to get really funny really fast.

BO

Maybe, I'm here to entertain. April in Cleveland is customarily rainy and 40 or so for a high temp at the start of the month, and 62 or so by the end of the month, but 80 is freakish. Lilacs in my neighborhood that once took until mid-or late-May to bloom were out before the end of April. Sorry, global warming IS real, no matter what Faux News says.

Yes, we've had 70s in March here, but only one one or two days at a time, and we've recently set records for pre-Summer temps. Of course, you may side with the reactionary folks who say "Look at those snowstorms! There IS no global warming!"

Nonetheless, out of mutual respect, I will no longer discuss another right-wing talking point, except to respectfully submit that you may be misinformed.

Of course, so may I. Didn't Jesus ride a dinosaur down to the temple to drive the moneychangers out?

Sorry.

I just read a rough draft of a 2014 Texas history book. My bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 pm 
Himself Fodder

bigdog216 wrote:
Maybe, I'm here to entertain. April in Cleveland is customarily rainy and 40 or so for a high temp at the start of the month, and 62 or so by the end of the month, but 80 is freakish. Lilacs in my neighborhood that once took until mid-or late-May to bloom were out before the end of April. Sorry, global warming IS real, no matter what Faux News says.

Yes, we've had 70s in March here, but only one one or two days at a time, and we've recently set records for pre-Summer temps. Of course, you may side with the reactionary folks who say "Look at those snowstorms! There IS no global warming!"

Nonetheless, out of mutual respect, I will no longer discuss another right-wing talking point, except to respectfully submit that you may be misinformed.

Of course, so may I. Didn't Jesus ride a dinosaur down to the temple to drive the moneychangers out?

Sorry.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Are you sure you didn't get evicted from your former home site for doing drugs?

In regards to global warming, insert comment on valid sample size here.

BO

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:

Sorry.

Let me say, I DON'T watch any of those leaning 'news' channels, be it CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, or any of those. But, since you brought up some anomaly about Cleveland being abnormally hot. Dec. 16, 2008, wait for it, we had about 7" of snow, yes, SNOW in my yard, wait for it in VEGAS that seems a bit 'freakish' to me. I guess it is okay for YOU to point out that Cleveland was 'freakishly' hot in April, is it not okay for someone to respond with SNOW in Vegas? So, global warming is a NATURAL trend.

One more thing, how do you explain the glaciers melting after the Ice Ages, and then returning? I guess it could be a natural cycle of mother Earth, or maybe the Dinos farted too often. I am a conservative, I don't watch Fox, I don't believe that Jesus rode in on a Dinosaur (but, he did come in with a rake and shovel in his hand). These are not talking points for me, I will just respond.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:06 pm 
Centenarian

Sorry, too late to dig up all of the annual stats for the region here ... pushing 1am EST.

However, in the Great Depression, (1930s, not 2000s), people drove their cars across Lake Erie from Ohio to Ontario and back to smuggle booze during Prohibition. A friend of mine has pics from his grandfolks' era. In the 1970s and early 1980s, Lake Erie froze over most years, but sometimes not enough to support a motor vehicle. Thank Heaven for the 19th Amendment!

I remember reading an article, circa 1982, about someone doing an ice-skating marathon in January across the lake to Canada in January. Try it now. Splash!

By the mid 1980s, the lack of lake effect snow we could always have counted on (due to Lake Erie freezing) by January or February was not always to be counted on. Now, Lake Erie rarely freezes. Rarely.

By January 1 in my childhood, 8 of 10 years, Lake Erie would be frozen over. Now, Lake Erie freezes over maybe 2 of 10 years, if that. Sorry, Señors Beck and Limbaugh, global warming exists, it's real, and it's happening.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Who knew Earth goes through warming and cooling cycles and has for millions of years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

This paper gets into the issue of statistical significance of changes in lake ice freeze and thaw dates in both North America and elsewhere, particularly Finland. While there's evidence that BIGDOG may be right in general, if not in the specific case of Lake Erie, the authors comment on the change to a persistent Aleutian low pressure system leading to the mix of changes evident on the maps, not to anthropogenic global warming. Still, this paper does list many cases of statistically significant change, most in the direction of less ice.

http://118.97.161.124/perpus-fkip/Perpu ... 1.full.pdf

This paper studies the changes in Lake Erie ice cover. Actually, the 1930's were an ice minimum for the lake, just as one would expect given that the Dust Bowl years remain among the hottest on record. The 1920's, Prohibition, did feature more Lake Erie ice, and the 1960's were the peak decade for Lake Erie ice for the years covered. Notably, though, no decade featured regular, complete ice cover of Lake Erie.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext ... 900009.pdf

As an aside, Lake Superior has shown an increased tendency to freeze over in the past two decades...and, of course, this spring was among the coldest on record in much of the United States.

My BWW has Buzztime and THE on the two big screens facing me, with the three center screens dedicated to captioned sports talk shows from various networks until the games start, with the exact channels selected each day being a function, as best I can tell, of how attractive the women look. I should threaten to boycott: those channel selections lead me to get 994 points on too many questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I think ALL BWW give 994 too often...distractions aside.

But it's the only option in town. And with all the goofball decisons BT makes, why I would I try to foist it on another location other than selfish reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:01 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
I think ALL BWW give 994 too often...distractions aside.

But it's the only option in town. And with all the goofball decisons BT makes, why I would I try to foist it on another location other than selfish reasons.

Humor aside, newer BWW installations I've visited seem not to have that infamous BWW lag. My home site in Farmville has no server lag: scores of 994 are my own fault.

And regarding "the only option in town," the only Buzztime site less than an hour from my home is BWW Farmville...I'll forgive their choice of lunchtime television...today including Heidi Watney of the MLB Network.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Go back 6 months after the BWW is installed, then you will see the lag. It is like clockwork.