New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: R.I.P. Beer Haus, Akron, OH
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:01 pm 
Centenarian

A lift of the paw and a wag of the tail to the Beer Haus in Akron, and a lift of the leg on its new owners who are dropping Buzztime.

For the first time in months, I stopped by the Beer Haus September 26 after work to decompress, enjoy a craft beer and play a couple of games of Countdown. I recognized none of the staff, although newbie to me Jessica behind the bar was both personable and professional. She told me the Beer Haus, having changed ownership, was closing for a week and reopening as Merchant's Tavern.

Man, did my Jon Taffer brain get going! I thought of a concept with vintage advertising on the walls and a celebration of Akron's retail and industrial heritage, but ... Jessica told me when I asked that the retention of Buzztime on the reopening was "To Be Determined," which, to my experience, means "Probably Not."

After work this evening, I played again as an alter ego in tribute to one of the greatest television shows of all time, and "To Be Determined" had turned into "Probably Not," which translates into "Definitely No."

The Beer Haus enjoyed some sporadic but spirited play in its day, but tracking the site showed Buzztime play had become rare there. In four games over two days, HSNBRG made the house board three times.

Good luck to Merchant's Tavern, and RIP to the Beer Haus, a place to get a good craft beer and German food after a scenic drive from the north through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Ironically, the first time I ever saw the show "Bar Rescue" was earlier this year, when I and two other customers watched it at The Beer Haus on a Sunday afternoon along with two bartenders, a cook and a server.

O Mein Gott! Another Buzztime site is kaput!