New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: We *MIGHT* be dropping Buzztime
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:42 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Congratulations on your new level of success! :D

Post subject: I absolutely agree...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:
B O D wrote:

At this juncture I would have a hard time arguing with my partner to keep Buzztime. I have talked to most of my regular trivia players and they have no problem with switching. Any comments?

I don't know if I'm a typical player, so you can take or leave my comments as you wish. I can tell you that I would never set foot in a BWW, for example, if they did not have Buzztime, and they same goes for most other places. The main reason is not just that it's playing trivia, but the network-wide nature of it, and the premium games like Showdown.

If I may ask a question in return, what is the nature of the extra costs associated with the tablets?

I absolutely agree. The only reason why I frequent BWW restaurants, is that they all have Buzztime trivia. Without that, I wouldn't ever go to them, certainly not for the food. I think that BWW knows this applies to many more people that me, and that is why all of their resaurants have Buzztime trivia.

Post subject: Re: I absolutely agree...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
ANON wrote:
B O D wrote:

At this juncture I would have a hard time arguing with my partner to keep Buzztime. I have talked to most of my regular trivia players and they have no problem with switching. Any comments?

I don't know if I'm a typical player, so you can take or leave my comments as you wish. I can tell you that I would never set foot in a BWW, for example, if they did not have Buzztime, and they same goes for most other places. The main reason is not just that it's playing trivia, but the network-wide nature of it, and the premium games like Showdown.

If I may ask a question in return, what is the nature of the extra costs associated with the tablets?

I absolutely agree. The only reason why I frequent BWW restaurants, is that they all have Buzztime trivia. Without that, I wouldn't ever go to them, certainly not for the food. I think that BWW knows this applies to many more people that me, and that is why all of their resaurants have Buzztime trivia.

I seriously doubt that. I imagine BWW would thrive with or without buzztime.

But it's a profitable venture for them, that's why they have it. Obviously it's win-win for both sides as buzztime would be just about dead without BWW.

Post subject: TAP TV Trivia...?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TAP TV Trivia...?

Is this a serious, viable replacement to Buzztime Trivia? I don't think so. Yep, it's trivia, but you can play trivia on the Internet anytime you want. What TAP TV Trivia doesn't have are thousands and thousands of people, who have gotten used to playing trivia on Buzztime for many years. They have lots of Players Plus points as well as medals and badges that they are proud of, and other things such as personal and bar pride playing against the entire country. I don't see these thousands and thousands of people giving these things up to play TAP TV Trivia.

Bars switching to TAP TV Trivia, is tantamount to trading in a Mercedes for a Yugo, because they had some problems with the Mercedes and the Yugo was a lot cheaper.

No, TAP TV is not where to go, it is not a serious, viable replacement to Buzztime Trivia.

Image..........Image

Take your choice...

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Buzztime used to be a Mercedes, now it is more like a Pontiac Azteca. Looks good from the front, but going forward it looks like shit..

Post subject: Cute
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
Buzztime used to be a Mercedes, now it is more like a Pontiac Azteca. Looks good from the front, but going forward it looks like shit..

Cute.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 am 
Centenarian

mrgray wrote:

Thanks! While we still have a ways to go to get back our investment in the expansion, it appears likely it will happen quicker than we anticipated. Heres hoping that the new found customers remain loyal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:
mrgray wrote:

Thanks! While we still have a ways to go to get back our investment in the expansion, it appears likely it will happen quicker than we anticipated. Heres hoping that the new found customers remain loyal.

Good job BOD, but the question I have is how many of these new customers have tried Buzztime? Have you added any new BT regulars?

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

Post subject: Re: TAP TV Trivia...?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:
TAP TV Trivia...?

Is this a serious, viable replacement to Buzztime Trivia? I don't think so. Yep, it's trivia, but you can play trivia on the Internet anytime you want. What TAP TV Trivia doesn't have are thousands and thousands of people, who have gotten used to playing trivia on Buzztime for many years. They have lots of Players Plus points as well as medals and badges that they are proud of, and other things such as personal and bar pride playing against the entire country. I don't see these thousands and thousands of people giving these things up to play TAP TV Trivia.

Bars switching to TAP TV Trivia, is tantamount to trading in a Mercedes for a Yugo, because they had some problems with the Mercedes and the Yugo was a lot cheaper.

No, TAP TV is not is where to go, it is not a serious, viable replacement to Buzztime.

Take your choice...

Agreed. The more I looked into TapTV the less viable as a replacement for Buzztime it seems to be. Having a very small national footprint is one drawback. Also, some of the bars that I contacted who were saying it was a good thing now mysteriously have dropped it. Not a good sign.

Though my business partner and I have not discussed it for a while I'm thinking since we're doing well that we will keep Buzztime for the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 am 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
B O D wrote:
mrgray wrote:

Good job BOD, but the question I have is how many of these new customers have tried Buzztime? Have you added any new BT regulars?

Just from my nonscientific observations we have increased play somewhat. How many of these will become Buzztime regulars remains to be seen. As of right now we do not have the new section set up for BT but that will change soon and we'll see how that affects playership. At this point it is up to us to promote BT. We haven't really done so since we opened the bar.

Anyone seen any effective promos from the bar/restaurant side?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:18 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Quote:
Just from my nonscientific observations we have increased play somewhat. How many of these will become Buzztime regulars remains to be seen. As of right now we do not have the new section set up for BT but that will change soon and we'll see how that affects playership. At this point it is up to us to promote BT. We haven't really done so since we opened the bar.

When I was in college we went to a place called The Bell Tree Tavern many times even though it was over 30 minutes away because of what they did for Tuesday nights. Everyone played Brain Buster, Showdown, a game called Speed (I think there was a 4th game but maybe not?) all back to back. At the end of each game they had an employee go around and write down scores and whoever had the highest total score (all games combined) won a $25 credit to the place (couldn't be used for alcohol). And every 3rd week of the month, the person with the 3rd highest score won, just to shake things up I guess. My proudest moment in Buzztime trivia so far is during the final game I started answering incorrectly on purpose then got up to pretend to go to the bathroom in order to land the 3rd top score during a third week. If I recall I was 2nd in Showdown so I had some work to do to get 3rd haha. It was just really fun to go every week. The competition was damn good and during Showdown's ending they had a regular get up and grab a mic and say funny things depending on if the person got the correct or not. For me, I was either Mr. Right or Mr. Wrong.... when my friend Skitz got it wrong it was Skitz on the Fritz. It was just a really nice touch that made it seem like the place cared about trivia. As a bonus, it really made the whole restaurant aware of their trivia night.

Unfortunately all good things come to an end. I would have moved on from there after graduation anyway because I live out of state, but it started to erode quickly after ownership changed hands. He put an end to the money prize... I think after stipulating all boxes had to be out for the full 25 or something. It just went downhill very quickly. I think they still have it but the last time I snooped on their location page...nobody was really playing anymore. It was a damn solid group of players too. A shame, really.

Looking for them now, I see BTT finally dropped trivia. Ugh.

If I were to try to do something similar (schedule changed since then), I would hold it Wednesday or Thursday because you really do want a long run of good trivia games. Tuesday is too lean now, imo. If you didn't want to add total scores you could award points per game depending on length. Like for every 15 minutes a game is, 1 point. If someone took Sci-Files, Pastimes and Lexitopia while someone else took Six, they could have a tie breaker next game. Just a thought... total score might just be better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 pm 
Himself Fodder

mrgray wrote:
If I were to try to do something similar (schedule changed since then), I would hold it Wednesday or Thursday because you really do want a long run of good trivia games. Tuesday is too lean now, imo.

Tuesday is too lean? Is lean now a synonym of difficult for most players?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

-BO- wrote:
mrgray wrote:
If I were to try to do something similar (schedule changed since then), I would hold it Wednesday or Thursday because you really do want a long run of good trivia games. Tuesday is too lean now, imo.

Tuesday is too lean? Is lean now a synonym of difficult for most players?

Not at all. Showdown and Brainbuster is not ideal, no matter how difficult. As a business you'd want to shoot for somewhere over 1.5 hours....heading towards two. The longer people are there, the more likely they are to spend on food/drinks. The real difficulty will ideally come from competition more than the game itself. It's easier for someone to dominate two games as opposed to four games in a room full of fierce competition.

The most you could do for Tuesday to work is lump in Glory Days. But don't expect a younger trivia crowd every week if they will be gimped by older players knowing answers just for having lived through the asinine pop culture shit they ask.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:36 pm 
Himself Fodder

mrgray wrote:
Not at all. Showdown and Brainbuster is not ideal, no matter how difficult. As a business you'd want to shoot for somewhere over 1.5 hours....heading towards two. The longer people are there, the more likely they are to spend on food/drinks. The real difficulty will ideally come from competition more than the game itself. It's easier for someone to dominate two games as opposed to four games in a room full of fierce competition.

The most you could do for Tuesday to work is lump in Glory Days. But don't expect a younger trivia crowd every week if they will be gimped by older players knowing answers just for having lived through the asinine pop culture shit they ask.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man that is some hilarious stuff.

You do know you can add the CD game after BB don't you? That way it's 2 solid hours of nothing but general trivia. Can't get more fair than that.

And by the way, your age excuse for GD is the same type shit BT has been using for years to dumb down a formerly great product. For what it's worth I've been kicking people's asses in GD since I was your age.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Team Lucky Break played Tuesdays for several years. We always got there early and played 2 or 3 countdown games, glory daze, showdown, and brain buster. Sometimes we would stay for the countdown after brain buster. We have a great cross section of players, the youngest is 16 and the oldest is in their 70's with a diversity of ages in between them when everyone shows up.

Nothing wrong with Tuesdays.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
mrgray wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man that is some hilarious stuff.

You do know you can add the CD game after BB don't you? That way it's 2 solid hours of nothing but general trivia. Can't get more fair than that.

And by the way, your age excuse for GD is the same type shit BT has been using for years to dumb down a formerly great product. For what it's worth I've been kicking people's asses in GD since I was your age.

I would have to agree with BO on this. GD has always been one of my two favorite games along with Showdown and I was born in 1982. Maybe I'm just predisposed to playing well at the game because I like the era, the history, pop culture, and such. I think the age excuse is a weak one, people living now didn't live during other times of history but still know of events and pop culture of the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I just remember Glory Days having a lot of pop culture questions the times we got to the bar a bit early... but I will trust the judgement of you all since you played it more than I did. And yeah you could have a daily game in the mix; my mind was just focused on premium games when trying to get two hours.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:35 am 
Centenarian

I seem to see more TapTV sites being added than Buzztime sites being added.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Well, I just checked my stats and I haven't played Showdown or BB in the last 6 months. I did have 1 Glory Days, though.

That's hard for me to believe. I used to love Tuesdays. I guess I can't legitimately comment on the lean or not issue !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:50 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I am kind of wanting to play Glory Daze to get a real feel for it. I will never have Tuesdays off though. :p

Post subject: Here are some ideas...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:

(Edit: BO has informed me that you already have an established trivia bar, with a great clientelle, so you don't have to waste your time reading this post.)

Don't rely on NTN to give you serious support once they have got you to sign the contract. It seems that after the NTN rep has made the sale, he moves on to try to make another sale. After signing that contract, you are pretty much on your own. The tremendous number of small local bars that drop Buzztime after their contract runs out kind of supports this.

I will give you a few ideas that might help you to establish a regular trivia playing clientele. Here they are:

1- Most people, who come into your place, will have no idea what Buzztime trivia is. They will never start playing it on their own. Logging on and creating a Players Plus account is more work that they want to waste their time on. What needs to be done, is to have your bartenders/servers offer them a trivia box once they are seated and have their drinks in front of them, and then explain to them how it works. If the customer seems interested the bartender/server needs to help them log on, and most importantly help them create a Players Plus Account. Getting them into Players Plus is a hook, because they will want to come back to watch their total points grow.

They might want to explain to them that by creating a Players Plus account they might win something from Buzztime. (I've won some T-shirts and baseball caps, and a gal, who played with us at T.G.I. Friday's, actually won $4,000 after being randomly selected from those playing a new game that NTN was promoting.)

2- I would also suggest that trying to create a team of players, who share answers is a good idea. This is because it will create a camaraderie for players, who devlope a feeling of bar pride, waiting to see where they ranked nationally, and hoping to make the top 20 for all to see. Playing as a team will also improve everyone's scores on games, and make them feel better about playing the game instead of saying to themselves, "I don't know shit. I'm never going to embarrass myself playing this stupid game again."

There is another benefit to having a trivia team. Once your regulars get into it, they will start recruiting friends to join the team. For the most part, these recruits will be new customers, who would never come into your bar, until a regular invited them to join the trivia team.

3- Here's something that Damon's did. They had a 14" trophy that they would move in front of the person, who won the last game. You could put a little plaque on it that says something like, "Game Winner!" That will feed players' egos, and make them want to play again. (They don't get to take the trophy home with them. It stays at the bar for others to feel proud about, as it sits in front of them.)

4- You can try to beg little trinket handouts from NTN or your liquor distributers to give to your trivia players every once in a while. (T.G.I. Friday's in Louisville used to do this.)

5- If your state and local laws allow you to give alcoholic drinks away, you can tell your trivia team that if the bar ranks in the top (You decide the ranking, based on how good the team is. Obviously, you won't want to pick a ranking that they can make most of the time, but one that is attainable every once in a while.) in the country your next round is free. (Elsa's in Dayton does this.)

6- I believe that NTN still allows you to sell advertising spots that pop up on the TV between Games. Obviously, you can sell them to help reduce the expense of Buzztime Trivia. However, there is another thing you can do with one of those ad spots. (This was my idea at the old T.G.I Fridays in Louisville.) Give one of those ad spots to your trivia players. Get a list of their Buzztime handles, and randomly select one of them each week to show up on the TV that says something like, "TinaZ welcomes you to Buzztime trivia. Get a box and play the game." The rule was that you could not be randomly selected twice in the same month, to enable as many as possible to get their one week of fame. Besides being very proud of seeing her name up on the TV every day for a week, TinaZ is very likely to bring her friends in, so they can see it too. Some of those friends may very well keep coming into your bar, and start being regular trivia playing customers. (T.G.I. Fridays would also give the randomly selected "Trivia Greeter of the Week" a free appetizer.)

The concept here is to create an atmosphere that makes people feel happy playing trivia, making it easy for them to get started, giving them a reason to bring friends in, and giving them a reason to keep coming back.

p.s. Others may disagree with this, but I strongly feel that if your bar becomes a dog-eat-dog individual competition place, Buzztime trivia will fail to attract enough people to make Buzztime worth what it costs you. (That is unless your bar is within walking distance from Mensa's International headquarters.) :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 pm 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy, BOD owns a restaurant that has had BT for many years and has built up an extensive player base. Those who watch the national rankings see them frequently.

Post subject: Well, he didn't sound like that...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy, BOD owns a restaurant that has had BT for many years and has built up an extensive player base. Those who watch the national rankings see them frequently.

Well, he didn't sound like that. I thought he was asking for suggestions to help get Buzztime Trivia take root in a new bar. Seeing that he has already arrived, I guess he can forget my suggestions, because he doesn't need them.

Post subject: Re: Well, he didn't sound like that...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Well, he didn't sound like that. I thought he was asking for suggestions to help get Buzztime Trivia take root in a new bar. Seeing that he has already arrived, I guess he can forget my suggestions, because he doesn't need them.

If you read the WHOLE thread, he was in a bind if he should drop BT due to the cost of expanding his restaurant and thinking of getting something less expensive to cut costs.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

Post subject: Re: Here are some ideas...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:17 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:
B O D wrote:

(Edit: BO has informed me that you already have an established trivia bar, with a great clientelle, so you don't have to waste your time reading this post.)

Don't rely on NTN to give you serious support once they have got you to sign the contract. It seems that after the NTN rep has made the sale, he moves on to try to make another sale. After signing that contract, you are pretty much on your own. The tremendous number of small local bars that drop Buzztime after their contract runs out kind of supports this.

I will give you a few ideas that might help you to establish a regular trivia playing clientele. Here they are:

1- Most people, who come into your place, will have no idea what Buzztime trivia is. They will never start playing it on their own. Logging on and creating a Players Plus account is more work that they want to waste their time on. What needs to be done, is to have your bartenders/servers offer them a trivia box once they are seated and have their drinks in front of them, and then explain to them how it works. If the customer seems interested the bartender/server needs to help them log on, and most importantly help them create a Players Plus Account. Getting them into Players Plus is a hook, because they will want to come back to watch their total points grow.

They might want to explain to them that by creating a Players Plus account they might win something from Buzztime. (I've won some T-shirts and baseball caps, and a gal, who played with us at T.G.I. Friday's, actually won $4,000 after being randomly selected from those playing a new game that NTN was promoting.)

2- I would also suggest that trying to create a team of players, who share answers is a good idea. This is because it will create a camaraderie for players, who devlope a feeling of bar pride, waiting to see where they ranked nationally, and hoping to make the top 20 for all to see. Playing as a team will also improve everyone's scores on games, and make them feel better about playing the game instead of saying to themselves, "I don't know shit. I'm never going to embarrass myself playing this stupid game again."

There is another benefit to having a trivia team. Once your regulars get into it, they will start recruiting friends to join the team. For the most part, these recruits will be new customers, who would never come into your bar, until a regular invited them to join the trivia team.

3- Here's something that Damon's did. They had a 14" trophy that they would move in front of the person, who won the last game. You could put a little plaque on it that says something like, "Game Winner!" That will feed players' egos, and make them want to play again. (They don't get to take the trophy home with them. It stays at the bar for others to feel proud about, as it sits in front of them.)

4- You can try to beg little trinket handouts from NTN or your liquor distributers to give to your trivia players every once in a while. (T.G.I. Friday's in Louisville used to do this.)

5- If your state and local laws allow you to give alcoholic drinks away, you can tell your trivia team that if the bar ranks in the top (You decide the ranking, based on how good the team is. Obviously, you won't want to pick a ranking that they can make most of the time, but one that is attainable every once in a while.) in the country your next round is free. (Elsa's in Dayton does this.)

6- I believe that NTN still allows you to sell advertising spots that pop up on the TV between Games. Obviously, you can sell them to help reduce the expense of Buzztime Trivia. However, there is another thing you can do with one of those ad spots. (This was my idea at the old T.G.I Fridays in Louisville.) Give one of those ad spots to your trivia players. Get a list of their Buzztime handles, and randomly select one of them each week to show up on the TV that says something like, "TinaZ welcomes you to Buzztime trivia. Get a box and play the game." The rule was that you could not be randomly selected twice in the same month, to enable as many as possible to get their one week of fame. Besides being very proud of seeing her name up on the TV every day for a week, TinaZ is very likely to bring her friends in, so they can see it too. Some of those friends may very well keep coming into your bar, and start being regular trivia playing customers. (T.G.I. Fridays would also give the randomly selected "Trivia Greeter of the Week" a free appetizer.)

The concept here is to create an atmosphere that makes people feel happy playing trivia, making it easy for them to get started, giving them a reason to bring friends in, and giving them a reason to keep coming back.

p.s. Others may disagree with this, but I strongly feel that if your bar becomes a dog-eat-dog individual competition place, Buzztime trivia will fail to attract enough people to make Buzztime worth what it costs you. (That is unless your bar is within walking distance from Mensa's International headquarters.) :lol:

Sorry for any confusion, but yes I've been a Buzztime player for nigh on 20 years and a Buzztime bar owner for about eight years. We, my partners and I, recently reevaluated keeping Buzztime as we expanded into a neighboring space. The verdict for now is to keep it. Now I would like to expand our player base to keep my partners happy.

Currently we have players throughout the day. Most are regulars and the rest are people who idly pick up a playmaker to see what it's all about. We have two regular groups that play. One on Monday and one on Wednesday nights.

I would like to 1) increase regular players throughout the day and 2) expand the regular groups or add other groups for other nights.

Seeing butts in bar stools playing Buzztime with lots of drinks and food in front of them will really help my case for keeping Buzztime!

Cloudy, your suggestions are sound, and we have used, and still use many of them. However, with staff turnover and other factors, it may be time to review what we are doing. Thanks, sometime we lose sight of the fundamentals!

What I'm looking for is some truly original bar originated promotions to increase BT playership. The suggestion of an individual per game trophy might be something we could look at.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next