New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone travel to play trivia?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:27 pm 
Babylon

So far this year I've been to 86th St. Pub in Indianapolis IN, Bargo's in Cincinnati OH, Brittany's in Woodbridge VA, The Arena in State College PA, and twelve different Buffalo Wild Wings throughout the state of Michigan. Anyone else do any traveling out of state to meet the best players and locations? I'd like to hear your stories!

Dan aka GO NYG (one of two of us, and obviously the only GO NYG who plays trivia actively! For the record, yes, I'm a HUGE New York Giants fan!)

http://www.buzztime.com/profile?pid=5295

Last edited by GO NYG on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Anyone travel to play trivia?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:40 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

LILJOL probably has everyone beat here as far as traveling for trivia. If I go out of town which is rare, I do try to find a place to play. I have probably visited 40-45 sites over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:55 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'll be at the Stained Glass in a couple of weeks. That will make four Triviapaloozas and two West Virginia opens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ranger wrote:
I'll be at the Stained Glass in a couple of weeks. That will make four Triviapaloozas and two West Virginia opens.

I think I made it to a couple of 'paloozas & those events in Hillbillyville. Hit 86th, Bargos, Peanuts, countless BWWs and sites that have closed (RIP Pargos).

Yea, I travel for trivia.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 am 

Several years ago I walked into the Up Country Saloon in North Conway NH and asked the bartender for a playmaker. A couple seated away from the bar overheard me and waved me over. They were XTRAIN and DAR, also on vacation. We played a nice Brainbuster and didn't struggle with Showdown until the final question, regarding the Guari Dam in Venezuela. Our low 40's were good for second or third page; but what made my night was that DAR pre-called all five questions in the Pyramid Round, to the letter. Never seen one player do this before or since. Two weeks later, I'm back home and we've just struggled into the mid-40's on another Showdown, when someone asked me how my trip had been.

"I met a woman who is hands down the best Showdown player I've ever encountered," I replied. "Her handle is DAR, and she plays at B4 in New York...and there she is!"

The Final Leaderboard had appeared on screen, and DAR had posted as 2nd high individual in the nation with a fine 62. My unqualified, unprovable assertion had just been vindicated. I wouldn't have been more pleased if DAR's 62 had been my own!

XTRAIN would have no reason to remember me. I was playing, in company with MOM, as YOJO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 am 
Lotsa Posta

When I travel or go on vacation, I usually make sure that a trivia site is nearby. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mudee wrote:
LILJOL probably has everyone beat here as far as traveling for trivia. If I go out of town which is rare, I do try to find a place to play. I have probably visited 40-45 sites over the years.

Well, hell. Image Cuing up my best Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebs...

YOU RANG?? :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

My home site is exactly 100 miles away from home.

Fortunately, in normal conditions, I can get there in under 2 hours.

And LILJOL thinks he's site-poor :o :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:53 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I played in Gulf Breeze FL last week, about 5 hours from my home in Atlanta. I try to visit a local site when I travel, which is not that often.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:01 pm 
Centenarian

tiefly wrote:
Yea, I travel for trivia.

Not to mention a couple of trips to hit every site in West-By-God (and a few in Western MD as well)...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:57 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I am currently sitting at 296 places in 24 states. With the trip to Baltimore for Palooza, I will break 300. Places I loved include West Park Station (Cleveland), Blue Goose (Cincinnati), Bargos (current home site) and the Buffalo Wild Wings I got stuck in a blizzard at in Grand Rapids MI. Of course there was this one time, at Nerd Camp, when 20 of us invaded a restaurant in Denver who had never been on the board and their manager said we will buy you a round if you are number one. The College Inn was never the same after we went.

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:16 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'm no LILJOL but I'm well into the hundreds. I think I've played trivia in 42 states. Recent trips include Nashville, Enterprise Alabama (to meet fellow Beef O' Brady's Six maven DAVE, who almost always seems to just beat me although he says the same about me so confirmation bias there), St. Louis and Louisville. I'm not as frequent a traveler as I was before I lost some mobility, but I still get out and about quite frequently. Thinking of a Carolinas trip in late fall culminating in a visit to PMAN. I tend to focus on places with strong, preferably solo players when I make dedicated trivia trips but otherwise just play on business/family trips where I can.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:47 pm 
Ending Symphony

Along with visiting all 401 units of the National Park System, KENT and ZERO
have played in all 50 states, Washington DC, American Virgin Islands, Puerto
Rico and 5 Canadian Provinces.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:18 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Yeah, I've been around a little. My current total is 480 locations visited. My dear wife, though, probably has a rather unique record: she has accompanied me to 210 Buzztime locations without ever playing a game.

You've outplayed her but she's probably been to more NTN bars than you have.

That's like LILJOL's unapproachable record of the most trivia bars ever played in without purchasing an alcoholic beverage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
Yeah, I've been around a little. My current total is 480 locations visited. My dear wife, though, probably has a rather unique record: she has accompanied me to 210 Buzztime locations without ever playing a game.

You've outplayed her but she's probably been to more NTN bars than you have.

That's like LILJOL's unapproachable record of the most trivia bars ever played in without purchasing an alcoholic beverage.

Image Image Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!