New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rivals Waikiki
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:48 pm 
Babylon

Aloha Kakou!

Hope you're all having a 'bright Hawaiian' Christmas day if only in spirit.

I haven't posted before on Scaratings but did previously on the Buzztime website.

My home site is now Rivals Waikiki. Rivals added Buzztime in late August and it has been fairly popular since then. I like it there because it's fairly laid back but still a new and very nice sports bar/lounge. Lots of big screen TVs; decent pub food and always drink specials. Servers are friendly and fairly knowledgeable about Buzztime. In fact, most of them, including the owners, love to play. There's a decent crowd of regular players, too. All in all, not a bad place by any means.

And please, if any of you ever find yourself in the neighborhood, don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Aloha nui,
PKLOLO

P.S. MELE KALIKIMAKA!

Post subject: Re: Rivals Waikiki
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Merry Christmas PKLOLO. Welcome to SCAR.

Playing in Hawaii would be great. But how is the play at those times of day when the premiums games are on?

What mainland bars do you see the most?

Opiee and I will look for Rivals if we get to Hawaii.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:40 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

My visits to Hawaii preceded my becoming acquainted with NTN, but if I ever get back, will certainly play at Rivals and locations on the other islands.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if you've ever come across a player who moved to Hawaii a number of years ago. His handle (ALOHA) was more exotic when he played with us at Catbirds, so that alone probably wouldn't distinguish him, but his name is Brad and he works in the cruise industry. I think his plans were to settle on Maui rather than Oahu, but I thought maybe you might have seen him on the boards.

Brooke/AARDVK.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:59 pm 
Babylon

Hi Bud -

Thanks. Glad to be here.

Premium game play is practically nil here in the islands. Probably more tourists on vacation than any locals. I personally would love to play them more often but my schedule just does not allow for that.

As far as mainland bars I see - besides the myriad, indistinguishable BWWs on the leaderboards the one bar that sticks out in my mind is the 1007 Club in Santa Cruz (think I got that right). It must be a place I'd like to visit one day, I guess. And I do tend to recognize individual handles for those who post here (or get posted about) frequently, most notably LILJOL for some strange reason. But pretty much after 8p it's just Hawaii bars up there.

Hi Brooke -

Sorry, I am not familiar with Brad (ALOHA). If he went to Maui, he's out of luck. There has not been any Buzztime location there for some time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:21 pm 
Himself Fodder

AARDVK wrote:
My visits to Hawaii preceded my becoming acquainted with NTN, but if I ever get back, will certainly play at Rivals and locations on the other islands.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if you've ever come across a player who moved to Hawaii a number of years ago. His handle (ALOHA) was more exotic when he played with us at Catbirds, so that alone probably wouldn't distinguish him, but his name is Brad and he works in the cruise industry. I think his plans were to settle on Maui rather than Oahu, but I thought maybe you might have seen him on the boards.

Brooke/AARDVK.

I think I played with this guy here in DFW back in the 90's, would probably be about 60 now and always wore a Hawaiian shirt? The ALOHA I played with moved down to Corpus I believe. Just can't remember where all I would run into him at though....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:58 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
I think I played with this guy here in DFW back in the 90's, would probably be about 60 now and always wore a Hawaiian shirt? The ALOHA I played with moved down to Corpus I believe. Just can't remember where all I would run into him at though....

That's the guy, as he was based in the DFW area; I'm pretty sure his home location was Ernie's. He also had a wife, Ann, who I believed played under MAHALO, but they split up when she wouldn't follow him to Hawaii.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:14 pm 
Himself Fodder

AARDVK wrote:
-BO- wrote:

That's the guy, as he was based in the DFW area; I'm pretty sure his home location was Ernie's. He also had a wife, Ann, who I believed played under MAHALO, but they split up when she wouldn't follow him to Hawaii.

Brooke/AARDVK

Yep, Ernie's was it. I did run into him at a couple other places as well, but he always seemed to be at Ernie's when I stopped in.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:35 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

PKLOLO wrote:
Aloha Kakou!

Hope you're all having a 'bright Hawaiian' Christmas day if only in spirit.

I haven't posted before on Scaratings but did previously on the Buzztime website.

My home site is now Rivals Waikiki. Rivals added Buzztime in late August and it has been fairly popular since then. I like it there because it's fairly laid back but still a new and very nice sports bar/lounge. Lots of big screen TVs; decent pub food and always drink specials. Servers are friendly and fairly knowledgeable about Buzztime. In fact, most of them, including the owners, love to play. There's a decent crowd of regular players, too. All in all, not a bad place by any means.

And please, if any of you ever find yourself in the neighborhood, don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Aloha nui,
PKLOLO

P.S. MELE KALIKIMAKA!

Hey there PKLOLO.

Weren't you playing at Kelley Oneil's a couple years back when I wandered over and said hi ?

Scar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:28 pm 
Babylon

Hello SCAR -
Yep, that was me.

And to add to my previous response to Bud regarding mainland sites we see. Basically, as far as I can tell, we’re not sync’d up game-wise with the eastern feed at all so I can’t recall the last time we ever competed directly with any eastern sites. And we’re sync’d up with the western feed, oh, maybe 6 hours a day? Definitely for the premium games and for Countdown maybe an hour before and a couple hours after and then we get the west coast stragglers for Late Shift…. And that’s it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:58 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

PKLOLO wrote:
And to add to my previous response to Bud regarding mainland sites we see. Basically, as far as I can tell, we’re not sync’d up game-wise with the eastern feed at all so I can’t recall the last time we ever competed directly with any eastern sites. And we’re sync’d up with the western feed, oh, maybe 6 hours a day? Definitely for the premium games and for Countdown maybe an hour before and a couple hours after and then we get the west coast stragglers for Late Shift…. And that’s it.

I'd've thought that you were competing coast-to-coast through lunchtime--you don't have LTT at all, do you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:59 pm 
Himself Fodder

WB TANAKA wrote:
I'd've thought that you were competing coast-to-coast through lunchtime--you don't have LTT at all, do you?

Sure he does, he's just finishing with them as you're starting a premium game though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:10 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
WB TANAKA wrote:

Sure he does, he's just finishing with them as you're starting a premium game though.

BO, they didn't have LTT in Hawaii when the .pdf schedules still available at the Buzztime site were released in 2010. Has it changed?

http://www.buzztime.com/images/pdfs/buz ... edules.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:37 pm 
Babylon

WB TANAKA wrote:
-BO- wrote:
WB TANAKA wrote:

BO, they didn't have LTT in Hawaii when the .pdf schedules still available at the Buzztime site were released in 2010. Has it changed?

http://www.buzztime.com/images/pdfs/buz ... edules.pdf

HI WB -

I'm not sure that schedule was correct back in 2010 and it certainly is not correct now. It seems we've always had LTT but as BO notes since we're either two or three hours behind the pacific coast depending on the time of year, that game is almost never in sync with the mainland with the possible exception of Alaska.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:56 pm 
Himself Fodder

And considering I looked at PKLOLO's stats and saw LTT games there, I was relatively certain they were offered.

And Hawaii has had them for quite a while, I remember delving into some data a couple of years ago trying to figure out where that dickbag ROGUE was getting his LTT answers from and trying to use times in Hawaii as a checking system of sorts since Arizona and Hawaii are the only two states that don't do DST.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:57 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Wasn't the last change to Lunchtime all part of the split feed/badge announcement package? (The infamous date February 28, 2012). They extended Lunchtime out to 2pm everywhere (it had been 11a-1pm?). And they announced the Lunchtime feed would be unique games even as the time window rolled across the continent. Which was total bullshit the one time I spotchecked and proved that California received the same 3-hour package of Lunchtime questions (badges) that Virginia received 3 hours prior.
Maybe that's not still true, but I never touched Lunchtime again after that.
Anyway, yes a pdf from 2010 would be defunct, toss it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:48 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

whales wrote:
Anyway, yes a pdf from 2010 would be defunct, toss it.

Toss it? It's still the only .pdf schedule available at the Buzztime site.

I was just asking questions, and it's good to know that it's changed--probably "The Split" was the chosen moment--but the very latest .pdf available shows no LTT. I did point out the date myself.