New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RIP StringZ & WingZ, Streetsboro,Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:30 pm 
Centenarian

I hate to write this RIP.

I feel like I should have been a funeral director, having bid RIP to three sites in less than one year.

But, this one really hurts. StringZ & WingZ (capitalizing the Z's out of respect to their branding) was perhaps the best host site a trivia team could ever have. "Chef Bill" Thompson and wife/manager/owner Cindy were incredibly gracious to our team during their time as our host site, and treated us better than any team in North America may have been honored with their hospitality and warmth.

StringZ was not in good health fiscally, and shut its doors January 13, 2014 after a long battle with financial illness.

Cindy and Chef Bill always went beyond hospitality to welcome us at both of their locations, old and new. StringZ had become a Mecca for Buzztime players, having drawn visitors from miles and nations away.

One reviewer on their website called their food "Gourmet Bar Food," and that was the fact. I always used to tell visitors "There's no such thing as bad food at StringZ," and until people were setting the over/under on this site's demise, that was gospel.

Some in a small blue-collar town may spread allegations and even truths about the demise of StringZ, but, although I do not in any way speak for The Fellowship being merely a member, StringZ, Bill, Cindy and all of the staff who have served us over the years will be sorely missed.

A cynic could point to some of this restaurant/bar/concert club's moves and say they could teach a university business course in "How Not To," but this is the time to focus on the hospitality given to us, and how they were invaluable in putting us atop, or near atop, Showdown boards on Tuesday nights for years.

RIP StringZ and WingZ, and the best to Bill, Cindy and all of the staff who were incredibly gracious. You are already missed.

Last edited by bigdog216 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RIP StringZ & WingZ, Streetsboro,Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 pm 
Himself Fodder

The sad news has already been posted.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2534

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:58 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Sorry to read this. Sounds like an ideal site.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 am 
King or Queen Postalot

ranger wrote:
Sorry to read this. Sounds like an ideal site.

Oh, it was. I had the honour of being ANON's guest after the 2012 Triviapalooza (what kind of nut goes from Cincinnati to Cleveland by way of Tupelo and Atlanta?), and BIGDOG's guest on the way to the Cleveland bus station. The ANON family, Fellowship, servers, and owners alike were all wonderfully hospitable during my short stay in the Cuyahoga vicinity. I am truly sorry I won't be able to make it back for another Tuesday trivia night at StringZ and WingZ, but I trust The Fellowship shall rise as strong as ever!

I hope so, anyway. I was counting on coming by Clevelandland this summer . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:15 pm 
Centenarian

This is only the tip of the iceberg ...

http://fox8.com/2014/01/24/bar-owner-in ... ic-legend/