New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BWW-Norman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:06 am 
Colt

I tried posting this not longer after I got back, but apparently it got eaten.

Over Christmas I went to go visit my friends in Norman. Because the usual gathering site at Sooner Legends was closed that day (apparently planning for the usual New Year's Eve party plus an OU playoff game requires an entire day to shut down and get ready), we headed across town to the "new" Buffalo Wild Wings on the southeast side of Norman off of Highway 9 at Classen Boulevard.

(I don't know how new it actually is; it was not there when I last visited Norman 18 months ago. AFAIK it wasn't even on the radar at that point, but I don't keep track of BWW all that religiously.)

Pluses:
--it's relatively easy to get into (it would have been even easier if I had realized I could now go straight off of the Classen exit directly into the parking lot, but that was not an option when I lived there, so I turned right and then realized my mistake. Fortunately it's still not bad to get in there.)
--they still have Playmakers instead of tablets
--for a BWW, they seemed relatively happy to have trivia players
--it's 100% nonsmoking (this was always one of the big drawbacks about Sooner Legends. While Legends is not nearly as smoky as some Vegas venues I could mention--*cough*Torrey Pines*cough*--and the SL management tries reasonably hard not to let the gas cloud overwhelm us, it's still a smoking bar, and tough to forget it.)
--the service was spot-on

Minuses:
--it's not easy to get out--for some reason the exit from the parking lot forces a right turn south on Classen away from the Highway 9 interchange and the rest of Norman. A U-turn on this side proved not to be as easy as the one to get into the place.
--while the server was quite happy to change a TV to trivia for us, apparently only the manager(s) can do that--and it took her quite a while to locate one
--it's a BWW--while that doesn't bother me every once in a while, I'm glad we still have alternatives

Sadly although all 4 of us came in over 50K the Norman group still firmly adheres to the idea of one box per person, even when they know they don't have six in play (which as I understand it has become an increasing problem in recent years), so we missed the national overalls.

We encountered another interesting story regarding Buzztime's attitude towards playmakers, but I'll post that in a separate message in the appropriate forum.

ESB