New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T.G.I. Friday's, Linn Station Road, Louisville, KY
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Chapter 1: Yeah, I know Friday's hasn't been my home bar for about a year now, but it was for so many years that I will always think of Friday's as my home bar. The owner screwed up when he dragged his heals for months to convert to NTN's new system a couple years ago, and drove off many of the best players, who went elsewhere to be able to play and show up on network rankings.

Chapter 2: The owner was less than forthright when he canceled NTN without telling anyone (players, bartenders, and managers) about a year ago. I wasn't there that night, but as I was told. players came in and couldn't log on. The managers and bartenders did everything they could to get trivia up on the TV's, but nothing worked. Finally, they called NTN for help. NTN told them that trivia wasn't coming on, because their bar had canceled NTN trivia. Needless to say, this was something more than a surprise to everyone, who was there that night, players, bartenders, and managers. Geeze, why did the owner keep this a secret from all? Was he just trying to squeeze the price of one last drink out of his trivia patrons?

Last Chapter: YODA called me tonight with some news... T.G.I. Friday's on Linn Station Road in Louisville, KY. will be closing its doors tomorrow. Supposedly, they plan to relocate. However, why the big surprise again? I wonder how far along the construction is on Friday's new location, and assuming that it isn't already in place and ready to open, I wonder what will happen to the managers, and all of the phenomenal bartenders that once took care of all us customers so well...?

p.s. There was a time when the team that played at Friday's was one of the very best in the nation. They were legend, respected, and a force to be contended with. It was a place that many other great players from hundreds, and yes, even thousands of miles away would travel to play. Sadly, it looks like the wrecking ball will soon reduce this one time temple of trivia to splinters and dust.

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: T.G.I. Friday's, Linn Station Road, Louisville, KY
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:07 am 
Moderating Hobbit

[quote="Cloudy"

p.s. There was a time when the team that played at Friday's was one of the very best in the nation. They were legend, respected, and a force to be contended with. It was a place that many other great players from hundreds, and yes, even thousands of miles away would travel to play. Sadly, it looks like the wrecking ball will soon reduce this one time temple of trivia to splinters and dust.[/quote]

I will miss those days. By far and away the most fun I ever had playing NTN. I still enjoy going out, but definitely isn't anything like it was back then.

Post subject: One of the Great Visitors...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ERIC wrote:
Wow.... Is all I can say :(

ERIC, you were one of the great out-of-town trivia players, who burned up a lot of gasoline to drive all the way to Louisville to play with us at Friday's. It was great with you and everyone else shouting out the answers and all of the number 1 rankings we had. I wonder if those days will ever come again...???

Post subject: Oh Yes, Those Were The Days...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
[quote="Cloudy"

p.s. There was a time when the team that played at Friday's was one of the very best in the nation. They were legend, respected, and a force to be contended with. It was a place that many other great players from hundreds, and yes, even thousands of miles away would travel to play. Sadly, it looks like the wrecking ball will soon reduce this one time temple of trivia to splinters and dust.

I will miss those days. By far and away the most fun I ever had playing NTN. I still enjoy going out, but definitely isn't anything like it was back then.[/quote]
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DANTE,

This will probably piss off some of the other great Friday's players, but when it came to the "Showdown" game, you were the team's franchise player. (I have to digress and give SCOT his due. SCOT was the team's "Showdown" franchise player before you arrived, but his job relocation meant he had to leave just as you were moving in. Hell, we were just like the New York Yankees. Joe Dimaggio retires and Mickey Mantle shows up...)

p.s. I too look back to those days when so many great trivia players would belly up to the bar at Friday's.

"Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And think of all the great things we would do

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
"

Go with 3, It's 3 guaranteed...!

La la la la la la

Oh yes, those were the days...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 am 
Lord of Scaratings

MaryM was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:30 am 
Centenarian

I, too, have fond memory of my (and my wife's) visit to Linn Station Road. That was one of my best ever trivia-playing experiences. Would have liked to make it back there again before they pulled the trivia.

Post subject: Re: Oh Yes, Those Were The Days...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Cloudy wrote:
This will probably piss off some of the other great Friday's players, but when it came to the "Showdown" game, you were the team's franchise player.

Nah, I just read faster than everyone else and was recently in or out of college, so I remembered more of it. If I were to vote a franchise player for the effect on the team, I'd have to say MM. She would pull out crazy answers!

The only game I'd accept franchise player status on was the old Brainbusters, before it changed. Nowadays I'm pretty miserable at it. I don't know what the nickname for the 3rd antennae on an obscure Malaysian bug is. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:22 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Bigsky wrote:
I, too, have fond memory of my (and my wife's) visit to Linn Station Road. That was one of my best ever trivia-playing experiences. Would have liked to make it back there again before they pulled the trivia.

That was a fun night. Weren't you like top 5 network in Showdown that night ?

Post subject: Re: Oh Yes, Those Were The Days...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
This will probably piss off some of the other great Friday's players, but when it came to the "Showdown" game, you were the team's franchise player.

Nah, I just read faster than everyone else and was recently in or out of college, so I remembered more of it. If I were to vote a franchise player for the effect on the team, I'd have to say MM. She would pull out crazy answers!

The only game I'd accept franchise player status on was the old Brainbusters, before it changed. Nowadays I'm pretty miserable at it. I don't know what the nickname for the 3rd antennae on an obscure Malaysian bug is. :D
"

That is my excuse "the younger guys read faster and and have faster fingers".

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Dante wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

"

That is my excuse "the younger guys read faster and and have faster fingers".

Oh yes, back then you were young and fast. However, my "leprechaun friend" I think you are just being humble. We were all young and fast in days gone by, but few of us were ever as good as you.

p.s. Yep, Mary (MM is what I think her handle was.) was unbelievable.

p.p.s. My "leprechaun" comment is just between DANTE and me. It goes way back to a time when we were playing at Damon's. It still is something that embarrasses and shames me to this day. I think it bothers me more than DANTE, who simply laughed it off.

Post subject: Re: One of the Great Visitors...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ERIC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
ERIC wrote:
Wow.... Is all I can say :(

ERIC, you were one of the great out-of-town trivia players, who burned up a lot of gasoline to drive all the way to Louisville to play with us at Friday's. It was great with you and everyone else shouting out the answers and all of the number 1 rankings we had. I wonder if those days will ever come again...???

For sure! I will be back in Louisville in the future to play, whether it's at a BWW, Old Chicago or Bungalow Joes. Not sure when I'll be back. But I'll let u know.

Come on down ... We can use your answers...! Though there is no longer one best place to play trivia in Louisville, you can still find pockets of Friday's trivia player survivors still banging away on their Playmakers scattered here and there around the city.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
MaryM was awesome.

Indeed, Mary (MM) was awesome. If we can ever get the team back together someplace, I will do me best to try to contact her, and ask her to come out of retirement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bigsky wrote:

BIGSKY,

I hope to meet you and your wife again sometime. Few have traveled as far as you guys did to play trivia with us here in Louisville. Though Friday's is gone, your old buddies are still here, and all of us would love to see you again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:34 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Cloudy wrote:
Chapter 1: Yeah, I know Friday's hasn't been my home bar for about a year now, but it was for so many years that I will always think of Friday's as my home bar. The owner screwed up when he dragged his heals for months to convert to NTN's new system a couple years ago, and drove off many of the best players, who went elsewhere to be able to play and show up on network rankings.

I remember many sites took a while to change over to the new system. Not all Fridays fault.

Chapter 2: The owner was less than forthright when he canceled NTN without telling anyone (players, bartenders, and managers) about a year ago. I wasn't there that night, but as I was told. players came in and couldn't log on. The managers and bartenders did everything they could to get trivia up on the TV's, but nothing worked. Finally, they called NTN for help. NTN told them that trivia wasn't coming on, because their bar had canceled NTN trivia. Needless to say, this was something more than a surprise to everyone, who was there that night, players, bartenders, and managers. Geeze, why did the owner keep this a secret from all? Was he just trying to squeeze the price of one last drink out of his trivia patrons?

I was there for lunch the day they took it out. Kelli knew about it and told me when I first came in.

Last Chapter: YODA called me tonight with some news... T.G.I. Friday's on Linn Station Road in Louisville, KY. will be closing its doors tomorrow. Supposedly, they plan to relocate. However, why the big surprise again? I wonder how far along the construction is on Friday's new location, and assuming that it isn't already in place and ready to open, I wonder what will happen to the managers, and all of the phenomenal bartenders that once took care of all us customers so well...?

See my post in December under local news. General manager told me then they would be closing sometime this year.

Wow, this is the biggest piece of fiction I have read in some time. Well, if anyone wants to see the bartenders and wish them well. They will be hosting a party at Brownies Friday night starting at 5:00.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:02 am 
Moderating Hobbit

cards wrote:

Wow, this is the biggest piece of fiction I have read in some time.

If that's true, I have to get a subscription to the Courier Journal! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:10 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:
cards wrote:

Wow, this is the biggest piece of fiction I have read in some time.

If that's true, I have to get a subscription to the Courier Journal! :)

Now you're confusing stupidity with fiction. :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:17 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Just an update from the party. Both the general manager and manager turned down jobs with Friday's in other cities. Both will be looking for another job here in Louisville. Most of the bartenders are moving downtown for now. A few have other jobs elsewhere. I guess most of the servers are out looking for a new job. Friday's has already stripped the old location of signs and fixtures. I don't see anything going in there anytime soon. The building is in really bad shape and there are several empty locations in that area. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:44 am 
Lord of Scaratings

I've seen one server behind the bar at Brickhouse, and heard Lindsay works there.

Post subject: Guess I'm wrong again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I remember many sites took a while to change over to the new system. Not all Fridays fault.

I was there for lunch the day they took it out. Kelli knew about it and told me when I first came in.

See my post in December under local news. General manager told me then they would be closing sometime this year.

Wow, this is the biggest piece of fiction I have read in some time. Well, if anyone wants to see the bartenders and wish them well. They will be hosting a party at Brownies Friday night starting at 5:00.

Guess I'm wrong again. Thought I was passing on something that was true. However, I have never known CARDS to be wrong (not joking), so please accept my apology for my post that turns out to be fiction.

I can't make it, but where is Brownies?

Post subject: All fiction aside...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

All fiction aside... I've got a feeling that the Friday's on Linn Station Road will soon be just a memory. It was a wonderful place for trivia players to meet and have a great time. I will remember those days and those people forever...

Those were the days my friend...

Post subject: Re: All fiction aside...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:01 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Cloudy wrote:
All fiction aside... I've got a feeling that the Friday's on Linn Station Road will soon be just a memory. It was a wonderful place for trivia players to meet and have a great time. I will remember those days and those people forever...

Those were the days my friend...

Does anybody here remember Fridays Linn? Remember how she said that we would meet again some sunny day?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 pm 
Golden Tee Master

scar wrote:
I've seen one server behind the bar at Brickhouse, and heard Lindsay works there.

Lindsay will now be working there full time. Now if someone can talk Brickhouse into putting in trivia.

Post subject: Bob, that's your job...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
scar wrote:

Lindsay will now be working there full time. Now if someone can talk Brickhouse into putting in trivia.

Bob, that's your job. You are one of the most convincing people I know. Just go down to the Brickhouse and explain to them that they need to put NTN trivia in. Heck, let me know, and I'll go with you. Better yet, maybe we could get SCAR and DANTE to go there with us. I don't know much about the Brickhouse, or even where it is, but if it could be a place, where a group of us could once again congregate and play as a team, it would be great. Whether it's the Brickhouse or someplace else, Louisville trivia players must find a place to play as a team again, and regain our national reputation.

Post subject: Re: Bob, that's your job...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Bob, that's your job. You are one of the most convincing people I know. Just go down to the Brickhouse and explain to them that they need to put NTN trivia in. Heck, let me know, and I'll go with you. Better yet, maybe we could get SCAR and DANTE to go there with us. I don't know much about the Brickhouse, or even where it is, but if it could be a place, where a group of us could once again congregate and play as a team, it would be great. Whether it's the Brickhouse or someplace else, Louisville trivia players must find a place to play as a team again, and regain our national reputation.

Cloudy, I wish you guys can get a place to call your own so i can see it that is the Top Sci-Files team that plays there. Its gonna be well recognizable for other players in NTN world playing.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:15 pm 
Octogenarian

Sucks to hear about Fridays....I knew they pulled trivia...didn't know they closed....Was my home bar (even though I never kept my points there, I played there so often, even had my own table reserved for me at the bar) will miss Friday's very much. I feel bad for the wait & bar staff. Will miss all of them especially, (in no particular order) Jeremy, Kelli, all the Mikes, Lindsay, and Dawn (I think now Dawn can apply to be an elementary schoolteacher (I always told her she'd make a great techer, but she said she didn't want to, can't remember why though))

Well, the wild cats of Friday's, although disbanded upon my moving to Kansas, the ends of both the BT forums & Friday's removing trivia is officially ended, I guess

Mike, Jesse, Adam, Tim, and, of course our only honorary member, Jamie!

The Wild Cats, Gone But Not Fogotten!

"I Just Smoked Your @$$!!!" (Jes. 4:20)