Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 30 Jun 2015 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:44 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 30 Jun 2015 at BWW Gibson in ABQ

Worn-Up Round
1. ‘From Hell’s heart, I stab at thee’ is a line spoken by Captain Ahab in this U.S. classic: MOBY DICK. 2. To interpolate is to: INTERJECT. 3. In World War II, ___ traveled in groups called ‘wolfpacks’: U-BOATS. 4. Leslie Gore was only 16 when she recorded this, her biggest hit, in 1963: IT’S MY PARTY. 5. A blacksmith but trade, this American was a pioneer in the steel plow industry: JOHN DEERE. 6. ‘Finders Keepers’ is the latest fiction best seller by: STEPHEN KING. 7. Which fish is used to make Lox, gravlax and sashimi? SALMON. 8. Pope Gregory XIII introduced the calendar named after him in this year: 1582. 9. Which statement about the dodo bird is false? IT WAS NATIVE TO HAWAII. 10. This small republic is an archipelago of ten islands. CAPE VERDE.

Most of these questions were answered with pre-calls, where the correct answer was blurted out before the five choices appeared on the screens. The others required awaiting the choices to start the process of elimination, and they were handled with dispatch.

Ground-down Round

1. Born in Minnesota in 1955, Ann Bancroft became a famous: POLAR ADVENTURER. 2. ‘Kaibab’ is a Native American tribe’s name for this geographical wonder: GRAND CANYON. 3. The U.S. Treasury has announced plans to put a woman on a new ___ bill: 10 DOLLAR. 4. It is the name of a soft mass of chewed food that slides down the esophagus: BOLUS. 5. Completed in 1499, it is housed in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome: PIETA. 6. What sort of item is the Bic Yakka 120? KAYAK. 7. According to legend, whoever untied the Gordian Knot would rule all of: ASIA. 8. Dart Tag and N-Strike Blasters are products of this toymaker: NERF. 9. Andrew McLaglen directed ___ in such films as ‘Hellfighters’ and ‘Chisum.’ JOHN WAYNE. 10. A chaplet is a form of: PRAYER. 11. In clothing manufacture ‘bespoke’ is synonymous with: CUSTOM-MADE. 12. If a Canadian is talking about ‘TSX’ it’s most likely they’re interested in: BIG BUSINESS.

With BLZBUB in the room, the team didn’t have a PRAYER of answering GD 10 correctly. But except for GD 1, all of the other questions fell at a feather’s touch to our unticklish team.

Scatology Round

S1. Painters v FIRST LADIES
Which First lady was born in Georgia? ROSALYNN CARTER. {She married for peanuts.}

S2. Canadian Cities v RELIGIOUS FIGURES
Maya was the name of this religious figure’s mother: BUDDHA. {DUFF made this call.}

S3. FRENCH KINGS v ethnic cuisine
Who became King of France in 1322 after the death of his brother Philip V?
CHARLES IV. {DUFF, after a false start on Louis VIII, jumped us unto Chaz.}

S4. Religious figures v PAINTERS
French artist Paul Gauguin did much of his painting on this island: TAHITI. {Greek chorus.}

S5. ETHNIC CUISINE v Canadian cities
Tagliatelle is a type of traditional Italian: PASTA. {Greek chorus?}

S6. FIRST LADIES v French kings
First married to Daniel Parke Custis, she was a widow before marrying a future President: MARTHA WASHINGTON. {BLZBUB, aided by DUFF, put the team here.}

Frightening Round

1. What is the cube root of 216? 6. {BLZBUB laughed and laughed, because he knew that roots are not cubes, but mostly cylinders.} 2. ‘Theory and Construction of a Rational ___’ is a book by Rudolf Diesel: HEAT MOTOR. 3. In 1999, this Mercury space capsule was found in the Atlantic 38 years after it sank: LIBERTY BELL 7. 4. Algae are members of the ___ kingdom: PROTISTA. 5. What is the capital city of Senegal? DAKAR. 6. Dinah Rouseff, President of ___, is facing a growing corruption scandal: BRAZIL. 7. This famous hockey player was known as the ‘Golden Jet.’ BOBBY HULL.

The team diesel-powered through this round until arriving at F7, at which point our biggest sports geek made a horrendous error. Moral: never try to diesel-power a Golden Jet.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. Which brand name was coined by an Atlanta bookkeeper named Frank Robinson in 1886? COCA COLA.
{There was general agreement that Atlanta pointed directly to coca-cola, and the rest could be discounted.}

P2. The Second and Third Dukes of Guise are known in French history for persecuting:
PROTESTANTS. {DUFF and MEERA made near-simultaneous calls here.}

P3. Judge Irwin and Cass Mastern are characters in this novel published in 1946:
ALL THE KING’S MEN. {DUFF was speculating that this would be the correct answer before the five choices appeared. He was proven correct.}

P4. Which of these world cities is on the Vltava River?
PRAGUE. {On what should have been a slam-dunk answer, the team was torn between Warsaw and Prague. Rivers, it seems, are not our strong suit.}

P5. This Spanish slave ship was discovered of the coast of New York in 1839:
AMISTAD. {This was the only reasonable choice on the list. Three others were Columbus’ three first-voyage ships, and the fourth was ‘Armada.’}

FINAL TRAGEDY
Tonight’s Topic: OPERA {Groan}

‘O Patria Mia’ is an aria from this famous opera by Giuseppe Verdi:

1. Dido and Aeneas
2. La Boheme
3. Don Carlos
4. Aida
5. Orfeo

The order of the eliminations was 2, 5, 3, and 1, leaving #4, AIDA, as the correct answer. Although a bit slow to make the call, the team did get all of their boxes on about 90% of the wagered points.

The final six top scores were 58128, 56985, 56685, 56481, 56002, and 55547. The team composite was 56,630 points. This would be good enough for THIRD place in the Mt/Pac zone of play. This also ranked EIGHTH system-wide.

Congrats to Chicago Loop for #1 system-wide and Danny K’s for 2nd overall. A tip of the cap to Tilted Kilt in Scottsdale for their #2 finish in the Mt/Pac zones.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 30 Jun 2015 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thank you for the recap, BLZBUB.

I took this Tuesday off. Will try to get involved next Tuesday, whether on a team or solo.

I am curious about the Canadian Cities questions on the Category Round. Also, in spite of myself, I am also curious about the second Religious Figures question.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:37 pm 
U > 100 * 2

S2- Canadian Cities: It has the ;argest population of the cities in Canada's Maritime Provinces?

Halifax. I precalled this, my was stationed there while in the Air Force.

S4 - Religious Leaders: He was chosen to lead the Mormons following the death of founder Joseph Smith?

Brigham Young

S5 - Canadian Cities: The Canadian city of Calgary has something called "Plus 15". What is it?

System of Walkways

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:12 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

In the recap I wrote:

"P5. This Spanish slave ship was discovered of the coast of New York in 1839:
AMISTAD."

Of course that should have been "This Spanish slave ship was discovered OFF the coast of New York in 1839."

When I write the recaps on Thursdays, in my haste to post the recap I sometimes don't take the time to proofread my text. I'm sure you all figured out what I meant, but apologies anyway for the error.

You bastards!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

EARLZ pointed out that the president of Brazil is actually DILMA Rousseff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I would add some alter-gories here, but we had an identical experience with your team (right down to struggling to get Charles IV).