New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 26 Apr 2016 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:53 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 26 Apr 2016 at BWW Gibson in ABQ

Hey there all my cool cats and kitties, it’s time to riff rhapsodically on our little trivia jones. I want to bring in some hep-cats who dig the idea of urinating in the sandbox that Buzztime has so carefully built to baffle us. Although sparse by the reckoning of some of those big city coffee houses, our audience of 14 is plenty soulful in the ways of obscure thoughts. Now while your espresso-revved minds prepare to be tortured by knowledge-addled Buzzheads, I’d like to bring up to the stage an old friend, the Great Ginsberg.

Worn-up Round

1. Which present-day U.S. state was designated ‘unorganized territory’ until 1890? OKLAHOMA.
2. Maurice White was one of the founders of this soul music group: EARTH, WIND AND FIRE.
3. Tinder is a ___ application using Facebook: DATING.
4. Which city lies at the mouth of the Vistula River: GDANSK.
5. Sidereal time is a key time-keeping system used by: ASTRONOMERS.
6. Which Robert B. Parker character is a Western fast gun? EVERETT HITCH.
7. Which company introduced the first drive-in theater in-car speakers in 1941? RCA.
8. What in the world is an oculus rift? VIRTUAL REALITY SYSTEM.
9. This Fox TV series features the Lyon family? EMPIRE.
10. Which type of camel provides the hair for camel hair suits? BACTRIAN.

{The team got WU 6 wrong and split 2-ways on WU 9 and 10. An OK round.}

Ginsberg: Dig this, writing is hard man. Here’s an early draft of my poem.

“I saw the best minds of triviadom destroyed by sadness, sadness at bypassing the correct choice, screaming hysterical nonsequitur, dragging my ass across the pavement of errant multiple choice at Showdown, looking for an easy Six,
fatheaded answers burning for the nirvana of blessed correction by the satrap polymath of success,”

But after some deep soul-searching and inspiration I revised it all to…

“I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,”

<smattering of finger snapping and a hand clap by one neophyte>

Ground-down Round

1. In the world of business, what is a Y Combinator? SEED ACCELERATOR.
2. Harmony is to amity as turpitude is to: DEPRAVITY. {BLZBUB, not wanting to confirm the team’s suspicions, waited for someone else to answer this.}
3. What in the world would you learn by the Rassias Method? FOREIGN LANGUAGE.
4. Served over roast chicken or other meats, Pipian Sauce is part of ___ cuisine: MEXICAN.
5. Rose of Sharon saves a starving man with her breast milk in this American novel: THE GRAPES OF WRATH.
6. Which war took place in the first decade of the 20TH Century? RUSSO-JAPANESE.
7. The ‘E’ in the 1970’s phenomenon ‘EST’ refers to this name: ERHARD.
8. Which type of element is magnesium classified as? ALKALINE EARTH.
9. Khaleda Zia and Sheik Hasina are feuding women politicians in this country: BANGLADESH.
10. The bee-eaters are a group of ___ in the family Meropidae: BIRDS.
11. It is one of the three films that have won 11 Oscars: TITANIC.
12. Whose Futurama exhibit at the 1939 New York World’s Fair was a popular draw? GENERAL MOTORS.

{The team did well here, scoring high on 11 of 12 questions. The klinker was #4.}

Host: Thanks Brother Ginsberg. Our next guest is a mere tyro who wants to show his poetic prowess. So let’s welcome little Jimmy Morrison. Oh I see he's worn the requisite black turtle-neck and beret. How droll.

Morrison:
I’m a poet, singing ringing verses I sew it,
The words show people are strange and blow it,
where the answers add points as they grow it.
I’m a poet, I know it, I know it, I know it.

Host: Umm yeah maybe you could get some tips from Ginsberg…

Scatology Round

S1. English royalty v GENERAL SCIENCE
A Wheatstone Bridge is designed to measure: ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE {SCOOTR made the call.}

S2. GREEK MYTHOLOGY v Yiddish terms
In Greek Mythology Cadmus and Cilix were brothers of: EUROPA. {Splits ruled.}

S3. BEST-SELLING AUTHORS v NBA players
Best-selling author Mary Higgins Clark is known as the Queen of: SUSPENSE. {DUFF was the closet to the correct answer.}

S4. Yiddish terms v ENGLISH ROYALTY
England’s King Henry II was the father of: RICHARD THE LIONHEART. {DUFF, for sure.}

S5. NBA PLAYERS v Greek mythology
Kristas Porzingas, the first round pick of the New York Knicks in 2015 was born in: LATVIA. {KURGAN.}

S6. GENERAL SCIENCE v Best-selling authors
Transverse and ___ are types of sound waves: LONGITUDINAL. {DUFF was quicker than BLZBUB and SCOOTR to this science answer.}

{This round scored approximately 5 ½ for six, taking into account the delay on S2.}

Host: Our next guru is Dylan. Bring it on up Bob.

Dylan:
“JAX answers just like a woman.
TRI’s also correct just like a woman.
And then MEERA saves us just like a woman.
And then the team squeals just like a little girl.”

<Unenthusiastic shifting in chairs and hurried orders for another espresso follow>
Host: Oh shit, that was jejune and I can see the crowd knows the meaning of ennui.

Frightening Round

***Missing in Action, due to operator error on the videocam.***
***Can somebody supply the questions for the Lightning Round?***
{The team got 6 of the 7 for this round without trouble. But S5 was our bugaboo for this round.}

Host: I see that if we are to save this night, it’s going to take some more Ginsberg…

Ginsberg: I have another small excerpt I believe sums up the experience at the Showdown coffee house...

“yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes and eyeball kicks and shocks of hospitals and jails and wars,
whole intellects disgorged in total recall for seven days and nights with brilliant eyes, meat for the Synagogue cast on the pavement, “

Host: My sentiments exactly.

Py-Ram-It Round*
*Questions paraphrased from notes taken.

P1. George Boole’s “Laws of ___” contain the basis of Boolean Logic.
THOUGHT. {DUFF didn’t even need deductive logic to get this. He just pre-called it.}

P2. Which famous island became a peninsula because of a landfill?
CONEY ISLAND. {This answer was arrived at by a simple process of elimination.}

P3. ‘The Madonna of Bruges’ was his only sculpture to leave Italy during his lifetime:
MICHELANGELO. {DUFF and MEERA agreed that this was the answer.}

P4. Horace Greely ran for U.S. President during the election when ___ won:
ULYSSES S. GRANT. {This was collaboration between CHILL and DUFF. But BLZBUB, in his normal state of confusion, suggested a split with Franklin Pierce.}

P5. ‘Cry havoc, and let slip the ___’ is a line from Shakespeare’s play ‘Julius Caesar’
DOGS OF WAR. {Greek chorus.}

{At least half of the team scored 5 for 5 on this round, with the remainder on 4 of 5.}

FINAL TRAGEDY**
Topic: THE MIGHTY HERCULES

Traditionally, the first labor of Hercules is the slaying of the Nemean:
**BLZBUB did not record the five choices for this question.

The answer was pre-called by several people on the team, so it cannot be awarded to any single individual. Given the run of correct answers from the Category through the Final Strategy, the top six scores looked phenomenal. They were 60853, 60346, 60217, 58852, 58765, and 58324 points. The team score computed to 59,559 points.

Since this score was nearly 10,000 points higher than the average team score for the last two weeks, the group was expecting a Top 10 finish. We were pleasantly surprised to see PANCHO’s Paunchos ranked THIRD of all teams playing this game.

A big shout-out goes to the #1 and #2 teams: BWW’s of Arlington, VA @ 60,367 points and Danny K’s of Orange, CA @ 59,868 points.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 26 Apr 2016 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell...

S3 - NBA PLAYERS - Blake Griffin is a star basketball player for the: LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS.

<--or, as some here in Buzztime's Site-Poor Backyard have to say, san diego relocated clippers. :lol:

S4 - YIDDISH TERMS - Tchotchke is a Yiddish term for a: MISCELLANEOUS ITEM.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:26 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell...

S3 - NBA PLAYERS - Blake Griffin is a star basketball player for the: LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS.

<--or, as some here in Buzztime's Site-Poor Backyard have to say, san diego relocated clippers. :lol:
Or as some of us in Get Off My Lawn Land say, Buffalo Relocated Braves.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The first "Yiddish Terms" question asked for the word that meant bursting with pride: KVELLING

The second Greek Mythology question gave two names (one was Castor, and I can't remember the other) and asked to which group they belonged: THE ARGONAUTS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:13 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

the second best selling authors question asked, ian rankin created this police inspector. rebus
we had no clue