New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 17 Jan 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:02 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 17 Jan 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ

The New Year has seen the team somewhat in flux. But we were happy to see the return of the two Teds (KURGAN & ELJEFE) and Jim (BALDRC) for this week’s edition of ‘bust your brain.’ The team consisted of 11 players, with a few double-manning boxes. Also attending were CHILL, LOONEY, MEERA, DUFF, WALACE, HEBEGB, BLZBUB, and JAX. Tales of holiday adventures shared or not shared filled the room, to the detriment of team play during Showdown. Nevertheless to some degree, fun was had by all.

Worn-up Round

1. In which industry is the manager called a pit boss? GAMBLING.
2. Which word is most similar in meaning to ludicrous? FARCICAL.
3. Ole Rolvaag’s ‘Giants in the Earth’ is a classic novel about ___ immigrants to the U.S. NORWEGIAN.
4. In which field of science would a Venn Diagram most likely be used? LOGIC.
5. The boxing weight class between Cruiserweight and Super Middleweight is: LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT.
6. Vitis is the name of the genus that produces this fruit: GRAPE.
7. The Bahamian tradition on Paradise Island which entices people to dance and have fun is called: GOOMBAY.
8. According to Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet,’ ‘Conscience does make ___ of us all.’ COWARDS.
9. The Cherokee National Forest is located in: TENNESSEE.
10. To Englishman Henry Cole, we owe this winter holiday staple: CHRISTMAS CARD. {Oddly enough, one cannot get them at Staples. A trip to Hallmark is in order.}

[Most of the team got 8 of 10 correct on this round. Some got lucky on the 2-way split on WU7, while everyone missed WU10…foolishly thinking anyone would get credit for fruitcake.]

Due to concerns about discord within the team, as the nation approaches the Presidential Inauguration, BLZBUB felt that a sort of parable was in order. He told the following story:

Three Southern Belles, all widows, were sitting on the veranda of the mansion of the youngest. She had just inherited the house from her recently deceased father. The other two, older women had come over to pay a consolation visit. Naturally the conversation eventually turned to all of their inheritances.

Ground-down Round

1. In average income among residents, the richest U.S. county is Teton County in: WYOMING.
2. Smyrna, Miletus, and Ephesus were cities founded by: GREEKS.
3. Which obscure name from the past won a Nobel Peace Prize in 1926? GUSTAV STRESEMANN. {This query put us under a lot of stress, man.}
4. Calvaria, the body part, is commonly called the: SKULLCAP. {Another 5-way scramble ensued.}
5. In what year did the Red River Rebellion begin in Canada? 1869.
6. The newly opened Gahcho Kue diamond mine is located in: CANADA. {Asking us to get two ‘Canadian’ questions correct, back-to-back was just too much for the group.}
7. ‘Father Goriot’ is an 1835 French novel written by: BALZAC. {“That is STENDAHL,” said DUFF. A very rare miscue on his part.}
8. Maras are mammals that are large relatives of the: GUINEA PIG.
9. “Two Trains Running,” is a play by ___ that opened on Broadway in 1992: AUGUST WILSON.
10. If you’re standing on the Kitsap Peninsula, you’re pretty close to this body of water:
PUGET SOUND.
11. ___ tomatoes have joined white asparagus and purple carrots as new style crops: BLACK. {JAX made an excellent call here.}
12. NASA’s Dawn spacecraft discovered water ice on this heavenly body in 2016: CERES. {This must be fake news…if you put water ice on Jennifer Lawrence’s body, it would melt in seconds.}

First, the gray-haired doyen of them all said, “I just love the view from your veranda, sweetie. I can look across the river and see the plantation manor and grounds that my dear departed husband left to me. Did you know it holds over 10,000 acres?”
The young girl replied, “Thaaat’s niiice,” in her thick Southern drawl.

Scatology Round

S1. World geography v 2016 MOVIES
‘Come Hell or High Water,’ a 2016 film starring Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges, is a: MODERN WESTERN. {Greek chorus}

S2. Fictional characters v NBA STARS
An NBA fan would know that ‘CP3’ is the nickname of a current: POINT GUARD. {KURGAN, with a confirmation from WALACE, made this call.}

S3. CATOLICISM v Animal kingdom
In Catholic theology, the terms ‘invincible’ and ‘vincible’ are applied to: IGNORANCE. {DOH!}

S4. NBA STARS v world geography
Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs is a hero in his home country of: ARGENTINA. {KURGAN shoots and scores.}

S5. G-d-p-f-v Animule kinkdom v FICTIONAL CHARACTERS
A hardware salesman named Theodore Hickman is a famous character created by: EUGENE O’NEILL. {KURGAN made this suggestion, but few followed it.}

S6. 2016 MOVIES v Catholicism
‘___ and the Two Strings’ is a 2016 animated film. KUBO. {WALACE pre-called this answer.}

[The team was saved by the third clue on S3 and S5. Correct on the other four.]

Then the bleach-blonde, middle-aged belle said, “That’s all fine and proper, but I much prefer my inheritance.”
“Oh, what is that?” asked the young girl.
“Well my husband gave me a whole shopping mall. I get first pick of all the new merchandise. And of course all of the profits of the mall come directly to me.”
The young girl replied, “Thaaat’s niiice.”

Frightening Round

1. Gopro is a company best known for making: ACTION CAMERAS.
2. What numerical album was released by Adele in 2011? 21.
3. Cava is a sparkling wine from: SPAIN.
4. Tommy Lee Jones plays a sheriff named Ed Bell in this 2007 movie: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.
5. This expression refers to something people are sure will be of short term interest: NINE DAY WONDER.
6. Tinder is a popular ___ app: DATING.
7. What is the 17th letter in the English alphabet? Q.

[The team was happy to experience no flubs on this round. After the trials of the first three rounds, this was a welcomed respite.]

At this point the doyen turned to the young girl. “We know your family had fallen on hard times recently. Did you inherit anything of value besides this old house from your Daddy?”
The young girl was taken aback by this question, but in true Southern style, she did not let it show. She answered, “Well, not long before he died my Daddy sent me to the finest finishing school in New Orleans.”
“And what of value did you learn there?” asked the blonde.
“Well, they taught me a lot,” said the young girl pensively. “For example, they taught me whenever I was offended, that I should always say ‘thaaat’s niiice’ when I really want to say ‘Fuuck Youuu.’”

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. Which instrument is included in a string quartet?
Choices: Trombone, Cello, Guitar, Harp, Zither
A: CELLO. {DUFF was the first to sight-read this answer.}

P2. Yellow, black, and gray are the major types of:
Choices: Tin, Sandstone, Marble, Nickel, Arsenic
A: ARSENIC. {BLZBUB got this one, but hedged with ‘tin’ as an alternative.}

P3. The Betsiboka River flows 326 miles through this island nation:
Choices: Cyprus, Ghana, Indonesia, Estonia, Madagascar
A: MADAGASCAR. {CHILL called for a two-way split with Cyprus, which of course in retrospect couldn’t be large enough to host a 326 mile river.}

P4. Charles Starkweather and Caril Fugate were a duo most similar to:
Choices: Bogart-Bacall, Burns-Allen, Simon-Garfunkel, Bonnie-Clyde, Holmes-Watson
BONNIE – CLYDE. {DUFF killed on this one.}

P5. Which of these famed writers is buried in Poet’s Corner in England?
Choices: John Updike. John Steinbeck, John Bunyan, John Milton, John Dryden
A: JOHN DRYDEN {Splits with Milton were inevitable.}

[The team got crushed pretty badly by this round. Five boxes finished on 4 of 5 correct. Another five got 3 of 5, and the last six machines only got 2 of 5 correct.]

Upon finishing this story, BLZBUB turned to the culprits most likely to harm team unity with politics and counseled, “Whenever someone from the other side of the aisle brings up something political, you should just turn to them nod and say, “Thaat’s niiice.”

FINAL TRAGEDY
Topic: ROMAN MYTHOLOGY

In Roman mythology the Parcae were the female personifications of:

1. Love
2. Destiny
3. Disease
4. War
5. Artistry

The order of the eliminations was 3, 1, 4, and 5, leaving #2, DESTINY, as the correct answer. Since our chief go-to person for all things mythological was stumped by this question, the team had no choice but to go to their splits.
The top individual scores for the night were 41347, 40275, 39434, 37876, 33651, and 31815. Unfortunately, all of the top six boxes coming into this Final Tragedy got the wrong answer and were bounced out of scoring position. The boxes that entered this round in scoring positions 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, and 16 wound up in the top six for the team at the end of this game.

The team average score was 37,333 points.
The team’s ranking was TWENTY-SIXTH Place immediately after this game, but bumped up to 24TH in Buzztime’s official rankings.

Congratulations go out to Teaser’s in Chicago for the win with 49,066 points. The Fellowship came in second among the wetware-only teams with 46,172 points. After that, it appears to have been a Borg-fest. At least the Tailgaters of Minneapolis appear in the Top Ten with their 43,547 points.

With zero teams finishing above 50,000 points, this has to rank as a very tough game.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 17 Jan 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 pm 
Lotsa Posta

The Tailgate deserves no credit. I felt obligated to send RHINO an e-mail congratulating him and Jess (K SERA) for putting the six of us at the Tailgate away, not neglecting to observe that Jack the Ripper must have had quite the time when, strolling through Whitechapel,, he composed a number of the questions which drew so much blood this Tuesday. John Milton, by the way, is buried in Cripplegate.

The Tailgate would have done much better if our best brains hadn't been gerrymandered into the White Street Brewery.

Nice job by some brilliant Brainbuster players this Tuesday. But...that was last quiz. Get over yourselves.

I have no idea what happened in the Scattergories Round. A competent hypnotist, versed in psychotherapy, might be of help. But that would require public subsidence, and as MERKIN and I have discovered to our chagrin, you can't even crowdsource a breeding ground for three-legged pigs these days. Guess I'll be wandering the streets, dressed in rags and babbling nonsense, as usual.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell... :|

S1 - WORLD GEOGRAPHY - The southernmost limit of the Chukchi Sea is formed by the _____ Strait. BERING

S3 - AMINAL KINGDOM - Whch of these is a common type of fish? CHUB

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:12 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Further CATEGORY questions:

FICTIONAL CHARACTERS: Lady Brett Ashley is in this novel. THE SUN ALSO RISES

WORLD GEOGRAPHY: Where is the Mahgreb? NORTHWEST AFRICA

CATHOLISM: This class of male saints is second to martyrs. CONFESSORS

Sorry if the questions are not exact, but that is their essence.

Congratulations to CLIPPR, the Paul Bunyan (and cutest guy) of Chicago trivia, especially for powering through Dryden and Parsae. Luck is the residue of design!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:01 pm 
Lotsa Posta

According to RHINO, there's a memorial to Milton in Westminster Abbey parish church, for those who like me are seeking excuses for not taking Dryden. When it came down to 17th C English poets, CLIPPR donne gud. But he didn't get there alone. Strooth, MERKIN: No man is an island, entire of himself.

That Branch Rickey quotation ("Luck is the residue...") is one of my favorites. Merit shall express itself across a level field of play.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

MERKIN says: Sorry if the questions are not exact, but that is their essence.

Rest assured, BLZBUB and most of his acolytes are not concerned with the exact wording of the Alter-gory questions (unless the specific wording plays into the specific answer.)

BLZBUB, in particular loves to use the altergory questions in the following manor:
He prints them out, without including the answers,
He shows up next week for Showdown and looks for the biggest whiner that complained about their choice for Category being ignored,
He slams the paper down in front of said whiner, and shouts, "Could you have answered this one, BITCH?" :oops: :evil: :twisted:

So once again MANY THANKS for sharing those altergory questions, MERKIN and LILJOL.

You bastards!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:07 am 
Lotsa Posta

MERKIN: No man is an island, entire of himself.

Good point GONE D. I am proud to point out that my first exposure to John Donne's quote 'No man is an island...Do not send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee" was when Bookworm tied Robin to the clapper of the bell in the Wayne Memorial Clock Tower.