New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Final Strategy: Languages
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

French is an official language in how many countries?

Twenty-nine.

While I admire NTN whenever they come up with a final question that would annoy the Googlers, I have to question if this is trivia or minutia. Would anyone actually know this answer or was it just something to be guessed?

And I guess it didn't work well enough as we saw in the rankings that cheating lookup sites landed in the top two positions.

Post subject: Re: Final Strategy: Languages
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
And I guess it didn't work well enough as we saw in the rankings that cheating lookup sites landed in the top two positions.

Um, Sweet Old Bob, are you sure you weren't seeing last week's rankings? Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Nope. Last week the two Portland lookups won. This week it was one of them and the Arkansas borg.

Congrats this week to BWW Bowling Green for the highest team score in the wetware division. And to our guy TIMUR who led them to victory while on vacation. Come home soon, Rick, we miss you.

At In The Zone, we were ably assisted by visitor PHRED from the Kzoo Krewe but couldn't count those Frenchie speakers well enough on the finale and only managed 16th. If you're interested in excuses, which I know you're not, we were distracted during Showdown by the Lightning-Boston NHL game which also didn't work out too well for us.

s o b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:33 am 
Lotsa Posta

FWIW, after the game was over and we got the correct answer on the 2nd guess, I googled the question on my IPhone and got BT's answer in seconds. Nope, not a very good final question, if you ask me, but nobody did ask me. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:40 am 
Himself Fodder

The first question of the game sucked balls, Lollapalooza LOL. The last question of the game sucked balls for totally different reasons. In between seemed pretty solid however.

Minutia questions are pathetic any time, but to have one as the final question in BT's flagship game is asinine.

BO

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
Nope. Last week the two Portland lookups won. This week it was one of them and the Arkansas borg.

I'll concede Home Turf; unfortunately my first lil peek showed last week's results. Image However, is there any solid evidence of Zack's?? If so, then my bad for missing it. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 am 
Himself Fodder

liljol wrote:
I'll concede Home Turf; unfortunately my first lil peek showed last week's results. Image However, is there any solid evidence of Zack's?? If so, then my bad for missing it. Image

Zack's is borg just as sure as your lil' area is site poor.

BO

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 pm 
Lotsa Posta

S O B wrote:

Twenty-nine.

While I admire NTN whenever they come up with a final question that would annoy the Googlers, I have to question if this is trivia or minutia. Would anyone actually know this answer or was it just something to be guessed?

I happen to be reading a popular history of the evolution and spread of French, so I was looking for 33, which is quoted in the book. Took a few seconds to settle on 29, but already had a crappy game going, so it didn't matter. In any event, I liked this question a hell of a lot more than the obscure astronomer questions that seem to come up every fifth week.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:29 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

S O B wrote:

Congrats this week to BWW Bowling Green for the highest team score in the wetware division. And to our guy TIMUR who led them to victory while on vacation. Come home soon, Rick, we miss you.

At In The Zone, we were ably assisted by visitor PHRED from the Kzoo Krewe but couldn't count those Frenchie speakers well enough on the finale and only managed 16th. If you're interested in excuses, which I know you're not, we were distracted during Showdown by the Lightning-Boston NHL game which also didn't work out too well for us.

s o b

The Bruins game and the final worked out quite well for us at Adam's Mill. #11 overall.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
The Bruins game and the final worked out quite well for us at Adam's Mill. #11 overall.

That's because the Bruins game was in the corner of the bar and hardly anyone was watching it! Instead I had to watch the Evil Yankees. If there is a hell, it consists of bars that only show games involving the Yankees and the Cowboys. :x

I thought the final question was okay, but not great. I started with 45, which was the first choice eliminated. I decided to go with the highest number remaining, so fortunately my second choice held up.

(I'm glad the Bruins won; I'm hoping for a Bruins-Canucks final.)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
I happen to be reading a popular history of the evolution and spread of French...

Good God, why?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:
I happen to be reading a popular history of the evolution and spread of French...

Good God, why?

Probably for the same reason I read an obscure book called "The History of The English Language".

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:38 am 
Lotsa Posta

spotes wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

Good God, why?

I was tired of the pedantic ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
spotes wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

Good God, why?

I was tired of the pedantic ones.

A popular history of the evolution and spread of French toast would be infinitely more compelling... and quite possibly scratch & sniff.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:56 pm 
Lotsa Posta

spotes wrote:
A popular history of the evolution and spread of French toast would be infinitely more compelling... and quite possibly scratch & sniff.

From Wikipedia, attirbuted to Apicius: "Aliter dulcia: siligineos rasos frangis, et buccellas maiores facies. in lacte infundis, frigis [et] in oleo, mel superfundis et inferes"

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:29 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

S O B wrote:

Twenty-nine.

This was a fair final question in my opinion because of the options they offered for answers. If they had choices such as 27, 29, 30, 32, and 34, that would have required detailed knowledge of what might be considered minutiae - the exact answer. However, all that was needed was an approximate idea, since the only plausible choices were 21, 29, and 45. Most would be former French colonies,so my initial thought was 30-35. We selected 29, but were worried about 45 until it disappeared. Of course we had been wiped out by the first Pyramid question anyway, so it didn't matter much.

If Home Turf is a borg bar, they must have upgraded their computer lately, or cheated and brought in some new wetware! They have certainly been doing amazingly well for the past few weeks.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:27 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Home Turf only Borgs during the occasional "Traveling Trophy" tournaments, like the one that's going on this month. Someone at Home Turf is friends with someone at the Borg-every-Tuesday McGillacuddy's across town, and they take up the Borg Challenge during those events.