New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 6/14/11
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I am really tired of astronomy questions that can only be answered by professional astronomers. I just read the Wikipedia entry for extrasolar planets, and couldn't find the answer of the question that I CALLED correctly this evening for my team. I just picked the right answer because I knew it wouldn't be any star that I had ever heard of. I persuaded the team not to pick the category a second time, since I knew I couldn't be that lucky. Really, has anybody ever heard of these, unless you are a pro astronomer? Really?
XT

Post subject: Re: 6/14/11
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:59 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I convinced the gang to take the 1st one. We got it, somehow. The 2nd time, "take the other one"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:14 pm 
Lotsa Posta

xtrain wrote:
I am really tired of astronomy questions that can only be answered by professional astronomers. I just read the Wikipedia entry for extrasolar planets, and couldn't find the answer of the question that I CALLED correctly this evening for my team. I just picked the right answer because I knew it wouldn't be any star that I had ever heard of. I persuaded the team not to pick the category a second time, since I knew I couldn't be that lucky. Really, has anybody ever heard of these, unless you are a pro astronomer? Really?
XT

I'm sick of the astronomy questions, as well, but it reminds me of a Showdown story.

We are a solo bar for the most part, including the Tuesday games. A few people might share answers among themselves, but there is no team action for Showdown. One of my best rivals at Showdown happens to be a professional astronomer. A few years ago "Astronomers" was the Final category in a game I had been leading throughout. Needless to say, the astronomer beat me. When we spoke after the game, he said, "I felt kind of bad about it; not only did I know the answer before it came up, I knew the guy."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I took last night off. What was the final question? To me it sounds like it was interesting. :D

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I took last night off. What was the final question? To me it sounds like it was interesting. :D

-- RWM

Astronomy wasn't final just categories - final was the Koppen classification system of.........................................

Answer: Climates

The astronomy question referred to was which extrasolar star has three orbiting planets (paraphrased). 55 Cancri X or something similar being the answer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rhino, thank you for the quick response and clarification. It sounds like I should have played last night. Does anyone recall the other Astronomy question from that round?

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Yeah, they asked what year the first non-solar planet was discovered. 1995, I think. All the choices were different decades, I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 am 
Lotsa Posta

The other Extrasoalr Planets question was along the lines of, "Which star is known to have five planets orbiting it?"

1)Sirius
2)Polaris
3)Rigel
4)(Something Else)
5) 55 Cancri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:53 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations to Tailgates for their Showdown win last night. Boy, what a tough game!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:33 pm 
Centenarian

xtrain wrote:
I am really tired of astronomy questions that can only be answered by professional astronomers. XT

In that case why didn't you just pick the other categories?

Not that they were all that attractive either......