New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: July 19 Showdown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:17 pm 
Barbara Feldon

Dr. Phil followed by Shirley Temple in the middle of Lightning Round? Please tell me this is not the beginning of a trend. As someone on the team said, at least it wasn't Pyramid.

--Rick

Post subject: Re: July 19 Showdown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

WTG to Wingz and Stringz in Streetsboro, Ohio for top bar score and individual score on the first night for the new location for ANON's Showdown team.

Now Timur, Dr. Phil was OK since it was about a book. But I agree on Shirley Temple because that's pop culture.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:15 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Pyramid and Final seemed a bit more Googleable than they have been of late.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
WTG to Wingz and Stringz in Streetsboro, Ohio for top bar score and individual score on the first night for the new location for ANON's Showdown team

Thanks, Mitch! I have to thank our friends from West Park Station and GOGETM and GUTZ from CA for swelling our ranks tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

timur wrote:
Dr. Phil followed by Shirley Temple in the middle of Lightning Round? Please tell me this is not the beginning of a trend. As someone on the team said, at least it wasn't Pyramid.

--Rick

These little bouts of "class warfare" in determing what should or should not be in Showdown are tiresome.
Shirley Temple has been a part of the American consciousness for 80 years now. Given the fact that she was also an ambassador, she is completely fair game even for Showdown.
Pretty soon I'm sure someone will complain about the validity of having Richard Nixon questions appear in Showdown simply because he was on Laugh-In...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:48 am 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:
timur wrote:

--Rick

These little bouts of "class warfare" in determing what should or should not be in Showdown are tiresome.
Shirley Temple has been a part of the American consciousness for 80 years now. Given the fact that she was also an ambassador, she is completely fair game even for Showdown.
Pretty soon I'm sure someone will complain about the validity of having Richard Nixon questions appear in Showdown simply because he was on Laugh-In...

...and as a gesture of goodwill towards its core players, BT threw in a question about walkers at the end of lightning round. Not that any of my team, even with its average age of 50-55, had any clue what a "rollator" is, which cost us 3000 points on the night. But it's the thought that counts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
WTG to Wingz and Stringz in Streetsboro, Ohio for top bar score and individual score on the first night for the new location for ANON's Showdown team.

Now Timur, Dr. Phil was OK since it was about a book. But I agree on Shirley Temple because that's pop culture.

We need a sarcasm icon I hope, because I'm assuming I missed some here. Because if you seriously think taking fake TV "expert" self-help shite and putting it onto dead trees makes it not pop culture shite any more, you shouldn't be capable of even accessing the internet let alone posting quite snazzily on it....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:37 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:
timur wrote:

--Rick

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Surely hope so. Shirley Temple would get nothing but a mild grumble from me (although it's worth noting they didn't ask about her ambassadorship but about her saccharine kid's schlock) - it's the damn stupid embarrassing-to-humanity TV "let's call slack-jawed losers total idiots on camera to make other slack-jawed mouthbreathing losers who watch this crap feel better about themselves", in whatever format it's presented, that is unacceptable. "Dr". Phil's lowest-common-denominator bread and circuses crap does not change because it's in print, any more than Jerry Springer becomes high art because somebody tongue-in-cheek decided to write an opera about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:52 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

LOL! Hey, Rhino, that's just flat great opinionation there. Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations to IkeB and Anon and the rest of the Fellowship at their new location. I hope that you have found one that will last! Congrats also to New Edinburgh Pub for the top Canadian site, and to Applebee's Capitol Circle for getting a team that seems to be able to win the Applebee's competition consistently.
I don't know if Timur was being ironic or not, but many of us certainly agree with that opinion. We were doing all right until we hit the pop culture round (er, I mean Lightning) where we started with the queen of beach novels (whom none of us had heard of) and went through "high and low explosives' (whatever they are) to Dr. Phil (5 of 6 guessed wrong), through Shirley Temple (a movie question that we were astonished to find we all knew) to Rollator. One of our party volunteers at a hospital and knew that but did not think of it fast enough for the rest to get it in in the 4 seconds. Then Pyramid starts with two questions on Gothic novels and a current American biography. And then we learned that Polovtsian is apparently an acceptable alternate spelling of Polovetsian, at least in the US. Oh well, maybe next week!

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.