New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown 7/26/11
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:59 pm 
Himself Fodder

I don't remember the precise wording of Final Tragedy, but didn't it basically ask which island nation has a population of Euros, Indians, Chinese, and Africans? If so, every choice is correct.

Just shook my head at Q2 in Warmup regarding the year Captain America was introduced. Comics in conjunction with current movies in SD, awesome. Although the overall game content was not bad.

Noticed lots of nefarious teams in the top 12.

BO

Post subject: Re: Showdown 7/26/11
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Does anyone recall the second Category Round question on "The Planet Venus"? (The first was the year the first spacecraft visited Venus. We nailed that but on the second question I got outvoted.)

I don't want the answer, just the question.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 pm 
Himself Fodder

_____ Terra is a prominent geographic feature on Venus. And Aphrodite was not a choice.

And no, I'm not thinking of the version of that Q from BTT last night!

BO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Ishtar. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:05 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
I don't remember the precise wording of Final Tragedy, but didn't it basically ask which island nation has a population of Euros, Indians, Chinese, and Africans? If so, every choice is correct.

BO

Agreed. That was exactly the comment at our location. As we had been discussing The Maldives before the game (July 26 is their Independence Day) and our last two choices were The Maldives and Seychelles (both the most likely choices from the beginning), most of us lost half of what little we had. Perhaps they were trying to get a final that was not borgable, but it should also be one that has one clear answer.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 am 
Himself Fodder

Falcon wrote:
-BO- wrote:

BO

Agreed. That was exactly the comment at our location. As we had been discussing The Maldives before the game (July 26 is their Independence Day) and our last two choices were The Maldives and Seychelles (both the most likely choices from the beginning), most of us lost half of what little we had. Perhaps they were trying to get a final that was not borgable, but it should also be one that has one clear answer.

At our location Maldives was eliminated first and at the end we were left with Melanesia IIRC, which was most unlikely.

As we've said for many years, it's absurd that answers are wiped out differently across the network. Had our group been playing at your site it's likely our score would have dropped by 10-15k. And vice-versa I'm sure.

BO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:16 am 
Lotsa Posta

-BO- wrote:

Just shook my head at Q2 in Warmup regarding the year Captain America was introduced. Comics in conjunction with current movies in SD, awesome. Although the overall game content was not bad.

BO

I don't want to defend the question too much, as I agree it was sloppy, but a quick check on the CIA World Factbook shows that of the choices given, the Seychelles is the only one with a truly heterogenous mix of the ethnicities described. Still sloppy, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 am 
Centenarian

We didn't have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:54 pm 
Centenarian

Venus's highest point is on _________________ terra.

zog741 wrote:
Does anyone recall the second Category Round question on "The Planet Venus"? (The first was the year the first spacecraft visited Venus. We nailed that but on the second question I got outvoted.)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm 
Barbara Feldon

-BO- wrote:

BO

Really? I only saw a couple of confirmed nefarious (although those were near the top), plus one team I'm not familiar with at all. But I found your comment interesting in concert with the following from the Buzztime Blog:

"What makes Buzztime so great at the location and in the Bar is that it's still a game that makes it impossible (if you want to do well) to use Google to cheat. It's trivia that really values acquired knowledge and not acquired smartphones."

I suppose that's true for regular Countdown or Buzztime Trivia, but for Showdown, not so much.

--Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 pm 
Himself Fodder

timur wrote:
-BO- wrote:

BO

Really? I only saw a couple of confirmed nefarious (although those were near the top), plus one team I'm not familiar with at all. But I found your comment interesting in concert with the following from the Buzztime Blog:

"What makes Buzztime so great at the location and in the Bar is that it's still a game that makes it impossible (if you want to do well) to use Google to cheat. It's trivia that really values acquired knowledge and not acquired smartphones."

I suppose that's true for regular Countdown or Buzztime Trivia, but for Showdown, not so much.

--Rick

A good googler could increase his or her score in nearly every game BT offers. Wouldn't help in Speed Freaks or Ask it Already just off the top of my head.

LOL at the acquired smart phone statement. With a bit of recon and a mobile PM I could ace every game BT offers. (dependent on category choices in some games)

BO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

RickM wrote:
Venus's highest point is on _________________ terra.

zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

Thank you (and BO) for your replies. Definitely would have nailed it, regardless of the category selected. :)

-- RWM

[Edited: Typos, typos...]

Last edited by zog741 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.