New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Sandbag Tourney 2011 Rules and Sign-up
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 pm 
Himself Fodder

Wow, both teams finished 1-2 again. That's what the finals are supposed to be like. Great job by both crews.

And the trophy will come in handy the next time a hurricane threatens the ship channel!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

In what was the closest and most fitting final game in the history of the Sandbag Tournament (and pending official confirmation in the HOF tomorrow), Concert Pub finished #1 in the network, prevailing by a mere 242 points over the #2 Fellowship of Stringz and Wingz (55,405 to 55,163). Thus, "The Precious" will be making its first trip across the Mississippi River to reside with the best All-Wetware team in the world (for a year at least). Sincerest congratulations to the worthy champions from The Fellowship. Your quest is at an end, and please drive safely on your way back from Mount Doom.

Before signing off for the year I would like to take this opportunity to express some well-deserved thanks to a number of people:

First, my sincerest thanks to ALL the teams who participated and made this such a terrific tournament. I hope you will take part in the McCarthy Cup when Danny K's runs it this spring.

I would also like to thank Earl (CTCOOK) from Fletcher's for his help. I would like to, but unfortunately I'm too preoccupied with cursing him for setting the bar impossibly high for hosting this tournament. I can only hope I came close to the standard he set.

Deep appreciation must go, too, to the wonderful people at West Park Station who made the long trip to Streetsboro to play with us. Win or lose, it is always wonderful to have you with us.

Last, I must extend immense thanks and appreciation to my teammates. I know how fortunate I am to be surrounded by such a wonderful group of people. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: there is no group of people I would rather play with week in and week out than the benevolent chaocracy that is The Fellowship.

Congrats once again to the new Cup-holder, The Concert Pub. We look forward to playing in your tournament next year.

*flame slowly extinguishes as the music swells and dewy-eyed observers look on*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Nicely done to all the folks who made 1/2. Fine scores too on a game many, my home bar included, obviously found a tad challenging.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Way to go Concert Pub!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 am 
Centenarian

Rhino wrote:
Nicely done to all the folks who made 1/2. Fine scores too on a game many, my home bar included, obviously found a tad challenging.

A tad? There were times when I felt we had stumbled into an alternative reality (front section of Countdown Round, entire Pyramid Round). On the morning after, I'm still feeling bewildered! A team average of 55k strikes me as not far short of miraculous. Congrats to both finalists.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

It was a very satisfying result seeing the top two teams finish 1-2 together the last two weeks of the tournament. It validates the quality of the entire tourney and certainly leaves no doubt who are the most deserving.

Might as well just let the borgs in the event. They couldn't beat these two anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:19 am 

What a great score and great match, Concert Pub! It was awesome having a great opponent and such a close final match up... what great work!

For my part, I'd like to echo ANON's thanks to all -- we could never have had a tournament without the dozens of willing teams to took to the PMs and upheld their honor to remain borg-free. Well done!

I would like to add, however, a very very big THANKS to ANON for his work, not only on this tournament but also on each and every week of play with The Fellowship. ANON is too humble to discuss it, but he works his tail off to lead our chaocracy. He helps recruit and retain players. He coordinates with management for sticky issues like making sure to turn down music and coaxing the money out of our home base to literally DOUBLE their number of playmakers. He welcomes the team, performs weekly announcements, tracks Handle names, keeps the Napkin of Fame, remembers questions and scores from years ago, leads the team chant and call to BATTLESTATIONS!, excuses with grace the occassional slip ups, humors our weekly & superstitious over-played jokes, assigns topics for team members to cram for the next week, memorizes the NYT Obits each week, rallies The Fellowship when points are bleeding, swaps out the low-charged boxes, coordinates schedules with the team and the rest of the trivia world, and diligently, each week, for literally years and years sends out a witty, well-crafted update recounting the game, the MVPs, and the next challenge. (You can read many in our archives at www.ohio-trivia.info).

I stumbled into The Fellowship while (not kidding) on a date in our erstwhile homebase of Damon's Stow, circa 2006. Since that time, I have followed ANON, et. al. north to Twinsburg, east to Independence, and now as far as Streetsboro. I've brought in friends and others to play because it's FUN, and I love to share it. We have dedicated, weekly players traveling 40-60 miles roundtrip because this is THE BEST DAMN TEAM IN THE WORLD. ANON made it that way and works weekly to keep it that way.

For that--from all of The Fellowship -- thank you.

Hey, ANON, can I log off now? :)

I'm not bad -- I'm just drawn that way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:28 am 
Himself Fodder

Get a room. :D :shock: :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

RABBIT wrote:
For that--from all of The Fellowship -- thank you.

:oops:

Thanks, RABBIT. It's been my pleasure and honor.

Hey, ANON, can I log off now? :)[/quote]

NO!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:19 pm 
Centenarian

I want to thank Anon for putting together this great tournament. We enjoyed each round and had a wonderful time playing. It was great finally getting to talk to you last night and thank you for you graciousness. We hope you can make a visit sometime! Thanks also goes out to Dmob and Slotek from the Mezzanine, who've played the last 3 weeks, and to Aardvark and Coogs from SRO OT for joining us last night. We honestly thought that was a difficult game and we were ready to call and say well done. Thanks to everyone who played and here's to the next one!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6