New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sandbag Tourney 2011 Rules and Sign-up
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Chapter 1: A Long-Expected Tourney

When the Fellowship of Strip-Mall End announced that it would shortly be holding a tournament of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Buzztimedom. The Fellowship was very rich in answers and very peculiar, and had been the wonder of the Showdown world for several years, ever since its remarkable appearance in the first Sandbag Tournament…

The Sandbag Showdown Tournament’s origins are rooted deep in the history of those beings most skilled in answering arcane questions: the world of those who showed their Riddle Worth. The First Age of Riddle Worth was one in which legendary sages with powerful minds ruled. However, in the Second Age Riddle Worth found itself threatened by the rise of Google, The Dark Lord of Fourcore. He (with the help of his lieutenants Encarta, AltaVista, WebCrawler, Lycos, and Magellan) used the Things of (Computing) Power in his attempt to subjugate all Riddle Worth races to his will. In response, a mighty alliance of those uncorrupted by the Dark Lord arose and forged the Sandbag Trophy, a prized chalice over which Google and the dark forces of Fourcore could have no power.

Thus, in the venerable history of the Sandbag Showdown Tournament, there had always been

One Rule to rule them all,
One Rule to find them,
One Rule to bring them all,
And in the Contest bind them.

That rule, the reason for the tournament itself, was that participating teams would test their Riddle Worth exclusively by their assembled brainpower, in order that the Dark Lord Google may be banished.

Official Rules:
The One Rule: teams must use assembled brainpower only. No computers and no references of any kind during gameplay, either paper or electronic (or telecommunication from outside the location). Using the Buzztime Playmaker app on electronic devices such as iPhones, iPads, or Droid phones is fine, of course, as long as this is the only purpose for which the device is being used, and it is being used in and for the location of the team.

All teams that abide by The One Rule are welcome to play, either by signing up on ScaRatings or BadBart or otherwise contacting ANON. All teams must register no later than MIDNIGHT (EST) ON WEDNESDAY, September 7. We reserve the right to personally invite additional qualified teams after the deadline for the sole purpose of rounding out the round-robin rosters.

Play will commence on September 13 and will continue weekly until the end of the tournament, with one exception: Should the tournament extend into November, there will be a one-week break for Election Day (this was done at the suggestion of several players from past tournaments). The tournament will have two phases: a round-robin qualifying phase and a single-elimination knockout phase. In the round-robin phase the field will be divided up into as many leagues as necessary to have a short (preferably three to five week) round robin contest in which each team plays every other in the league. The winners of each league will be the one with the best won/loss record and will have automatic seeds in the bracketed tournament that follows. Should there be a tie for first place in any league, the tiebreaker will be head-to-head record, and the second tiebreaker will be overall score during the round-robin phase. The league winners will get guaranteed spots in the knockout phase, with the remaining spots assigned on a wild-card basis using as many of the highest-scoring teams from the qualifying round as necessary to fill in the bracket of 16 finalists. The team with the top overall score during the round-robin phase will receive the Pink Pig Memorial Trophy (currently held by Danny K’s). Again, having taken into account the suggestions of players from past tournaments, seeding in the knockout phase will be in order of combined score during the round-robin phase (N.B.: this is different from some past tournaments in which the league winners received the top seeds regardless of score). Specifics of the league setups will be posted when a final count of teams is available. The bracketed portion will be in a traditional knockout format (1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, etc.).

Should Buzztime have a system-wide repeat game during the tournament, that week’s scores will be ignored and the tournament will be extended by a week. Otherwise, The Fellowship takes no responsibility for and offers no solution nor redress for localized problems (i.e. power outages, lack of players due to illness or vacation, etc.). Teams faced with a sudden close or loss of Buzztime at their home location may play at another location as long as they notify ANON in advance of the game and continue to follow The One Rule in the new location.

Of course, a day may come when the courage of true trivia players may fail, when we forsake our brains and break the bonds of trivia fellowship—But it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered scores when the age of brainpower comes crashing down—But it is not this day! This day, we play! By all that you hold dear in testing your Riddle Worth, I bid you stand and participate, Men (and Women) of the Wetware!

Post subject: Re: Sandbag Tourney 2011 Rules and Sign-up
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sorry for the delay in posting this, the fault for which I will take full responsibility. Those that signed up on the other thread are assumed to be counted here as long as they are in accordance with the rules (from what I understand, I will need to seek clarification from one of these teams).

Unfortunately, organizing these kinds of things has become harder with the passing of the Buzztime private messaging system, through which one could seek out representatives from teams that don't usually frequent ScaRatings or BadBart. If anyone has an acquaintance from another team which might be interested, please pass on contact information to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:01 pm 
Centenarian

Might as well throw SRO OT into the hat. Rules appear to be of a nature acceptable to all of the squad here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:50 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The In-The Zoners of Tampa would like to participate. We hearby pledge not to cheat, Ever. At no time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:27 pm 
Centenarian

Adams Mill is in, This is the year w :D e pull off the Big upset

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 am 
Centenarian

I say again, since it wouldn't be Autumn at Fletcher's without Michigan football and the Sandbag Tournament, please sign us up.
CTCOOK

BTW-- Kudos to CLIPPER at Teaser's for protecting a rare and endangered species: "...harmless and gentle conservatives who unfailingly conduct themselves as ladies and gentlemen..."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:01 am 
King or Queen Postalot

You have my sword, and Rembrandt's axe :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

The rules look great. As it is now, the gaggle at the Blue Goose is planning on playing...

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Just a reminder that Wednesday is the last day to sign your team up for the Sandbag Tourney.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:05 pm 

Hey Anon,

You can sign up Danny K's. Gracias.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:39 am 
Colt

Scooter's in Las Vegas would like to participate.

ESB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:32 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

The Showdown game and other non-sports-channel games weren't working this week at Mad River. Hope they can be fixed by next week. If not, I'll try to get together a team at Broadway Station for the tournament. Is this OK? We'll play at one or the other location, not both. Thanks.
XTrain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
The Showdown game and other non-sports-channel games weren't working this week at Mad River. Hope they can be fixed by next week. If not, I'll try to get together a team at Broadway Station for the tournament. Is this OK? We'll play at one or the other location, not both. Thanks.
XTrain

This is fine, of course, according to the rules. As long as I am notified before the game, any location that can't play at their regular location for some reason can play at any other location abiding by the rules.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hey Anon,
How many teams do you have signed up?
If you need a filler, let me know and I could run a solo effort somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Hey Anon,
How many teams do you have signed up?
If you need a filler, let me know and I could run a solo effort somewhere.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the offer immensely.

However, we quite fortuitously had a nice round 36 valid teams sign up before the deadline, which will make nine leagues of four each. I'll try to post the leagues and schedule as soon as I can.

Post subject: Leagues and Pairings
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The Lord of the paiRings is pleased to announce the leagues and matchups for the round-robin phase of the 2011 Sandbag Tournament:

Gandalf League
The Fellowship (Stringz and Wingz, Streetsboro OH)
Mad River, NY NY
New Edinburgh Pub, Ottawa ON
Scooter’s Pub, Las Vegas NV

Frodo League
Danny K's, Orange CA
Fletcher's Pub, Kalamazoo MI
Old Chicago Overland Park, KS
Rembrandt's, Calgary AB

Samwise League
In The Zone, Tampa FL
SRO OT, Houston TX
End Zone, Ironton OH
Hokie House, Blacksburg VA

Galadriel League
Jilly's, Ellicott City MD
Houlihan's, Brick NJ
Holiday Inn, Vancouver BC
West Park Station, Cleveland OH

Aragorn League
Houlihan's, Westbury NY
Tailgate Sports Café, Minneapolis MN
Stadium Café, Addison TX
Old Barn, Portland OR

Gimli League
Varsity Grill and Bar, Tallahassee FL
Teaser's, Chicago IL
Touch of Class Gaming Room, Edmonton AB
Primetime Sports Grill, Tampa FL

Eowyn League
Concert Pub, Houston TX
Beef O'Brady's, Newburgh IN
Adam's Mill, Manchester CT
Old Town Tavern, Goleta CA

Legolas League
Grand Slam, Washington DC
Henry Hudson's Grill, Oklahoma City OK
Duke's Sports Grill, Scottsdale AZ
Alibis, Indianapolis IN

Elrond League
Coaches Sports Grill, Albuquerque NM
Blue Goose Sports Café, Cincinnati OH
8th Street Grill, Minneapolis MN
Baxter's, Fairview Heights IL

For those interested in the mechanics, placement into leagues was according to average score for the year based on Don Denton’s stats. A few teams had moved one or more times this year, their team averages included their scores from all locations. The top nine are the first in each league, the next nine are second, etc.

For each league, pairings will follow this schedule:

WEEK 1: 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3
WEEK 2: 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4
WEEK 3: 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4

Thus, for this week, the pairings will be:

Gandalf League
The Fellowship vs. Scooter’s
Mad River vs. New Edinburgh Pub

Frodo League
Danny K's vs. Rembrandt’s
Fletcher's Pub vs. Old Chicago

Samwise League
In The Zone vs. Hokie House
SRO OT vs. End Zone

Galadriel League
Jilly's vs. West Park Station
Houlihan's Brick vs. Holiday Inn Vancouver

Aragorn League
Houlihan's Westbury vs. Old Barn
Tailgate Sports Café vs. Stadium Café

Gimli League
Varsity Grill and Bar vs. Primetime Sports Grill
Teaser's vs. Touch of Class

Eowyn League
Concert Pub vs. Old Town Tavern
Beef O'Brady's Newburgh vs. Adam's Mill

Legolas League
Grand Slam vs. Alibis
Henry Hudson's vs. Duke's

Elrond League
Coaches Sports Grill vs. Baxter’s
Blue Goose vs. 8th Street Grill

The leagues look pretty competitive this year, and because of this even the top seeds would be wise to follow Elrond’s Blessing: “Look not too far ahead, but go now with good hearts!”

Good Skill to all this week!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:23 pm 
Centenarian

It is kind of comforting to see so many of the usual suspects taking part this year, and encouraging to see some new teams joining the fun.
Good luck to all -- but not too much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

CTCOOK wrote:
It is kind of comforting to see so many of the usual suspects taking part this year, and encouraging to see some new teams joining the fun.
Good luck to all -- but not too much.

Love the Avatar, Earl. Now maybe someone can do one of his patented tournament handicap updates (hint, hint).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:43 pm 
Centenarian

ANON wrote:

Love the Avatar, Earl.

Too bad there's no Gollum League.

Well, I suppose he can still refer to the Sandbag Trophy as "my precious."

--Rick Magnus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

What the...?
The "Fellowship" is hosting a tourney with nine leagues and they are not named for the nine members of the Fellowship?
It's like I'm living in a bad dream...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
What the...?
The "Fellowship" is hosting a tourney with nine leagues and they are not named for the nine members of the Fellowship?
It's like I'm living in a bad dream...

I know, I know--the irony is not lost on me. The thing is, we did not know last Tuesday when we picked names how many would be participating--it looked like it might be only 32. Thus, the team picked their 8 favorite characters, plus a ninth if it came to that. At least this configuration has the advantage that it is not a complete sausage-fest.

Besides, the entire Fellowship is already represented--in the Gandalf League ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:40 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

In the spirit of things, I've updated my avatar (at long last)

Week 1: "Weather" a "Top" assault from the Witch-K's of Or-Ang-mar
Week 2: Deep in the mines of 'Mazoo-ria, an epic battle looms with a large group of nasssty orcses bearing Fletched arrows
Week 3: One does not simply walk over Overland Park into Mordor

So, this is probably what I'll look like by about 7:30, each of the next few Tuesday evenings :/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:03 pm 
Centenarian

“Now maybe someone can do one of his patented tournament handicap updates (hint, hint).” -- ANON

Not wanting to disappoint our beloved Lord of the paiRings, here is one handicapper’s
assessment of the 2011 Sandbag (followed by Week 1 predictions):

Gandalf League

The Fellowship (Stringz and Wingz, Streetsboro OH), "formerly of Damon's Twinsburg, and former-ormerly of Damon's Stow, and former-ormer-ormerly of Bennigan's Cuyahoga Falls," was last week's top team by nearly 1,000 points, posting the first seven best individual scores. So why are they seeded first? Well, with them closing down bars left, right and sideways it's impossible to get an accurate ranking or average. Let's just say that they're hosting this year and their's was the first name that came to mind.

Mad River XTRAIN leads a team that has slipped from some of its glory, but watch out when they're on a roll. With three Showdown wins this year (tied for third-most), I suspect that they want the Sandbag trophy on their shelf. And they'll take the PINKPG trophy too, thank you. But can they defeat the Fellowship?

New Edinburgh Pub of Ottawa boasts a Showdown average ranking of #30, but is 14th best in Place Points, which means they show up on the board week after week. They are the best Canadian team in the Sandbag. They stunned Fletcher's in the 2011 McCarthy Cup and proved that they can play with the best anywhere. If that's true, then let me introduce them to The Fellowship and Mad River.

Scooter’s Pub This team seems to have become the go-to Showdown spot in Vegas, replacing BWW-Rhodes Ranch. They're Showdown record this year is up and down, which sounds all too familiar to me. While they deserve a sincere wish of "Good luck," they're playing Vegas odds against some of the best.

Frodo League

Danny K's Love 'em or hate 'em, these guys are soooo good. They currently own the PINKPG trophy for the best cumulative score in last year's Sandbag Round Robin, and took the McCarthy Cup this past Spring. Ranked #1 in Showdown Average and #2 in Place Points, Danny K's wants the Trifecta and perhaps only The Fellowship stands in their way.

Fletcher's Pub It's been a tough summer for the Kzoo Krew, with last week being one of its best in a while. Easily Michigan's best Showdown team, Fletcher's has a history of surprisingly strong showings when they were needed. They always come to win, and at full strength are always in the running. Can they get it up in Week 3 against Danny K's?

Old Chicago-Overland Park QUAGGA and EQUUS lead a solid team that used to play at Johnny's Tavern. Don Denton ranks them at #41 in Showdown Average. They'll need to be at their best to move on in this league.

Rembrandt's, Calgary The best Showdown average in Calgary, so folks stampede to play there. [Ahem] Showdown ranking is #62, according to Don Denton. PENGWN has migrated to Rembrandt's, but he and his flock are outmatched in this league. This year.

Samwise League

In The Zone Place Points = #1. Showdown Average = #2. That's damn fine playing. Perhaps due to The Fellowship's multiple moves, these rankings are inaccurate, but In The Zone IS the 3rd seed here and have the second highest number of Showdown wins this year. TIMUR leads a terrific group of folks who know how to win.

SRO OT This is where DINGO and AARDVK play. Mad River bumped them in last year's Round Robin in a close game. They want back into the Big Dance. None of this league's teams should be overlooked for an upset, especially SRO OT.

End Zone I'm guessing here, but if this is the former BWW-Ironton team at a new home, then this is the team that had everyone in the 2011 McCarthy Cup doing their best Paul Newman-as-Butch Cassidy impression, saying, "Who are these guys?" If I'm wrong, then never mind. As BWW-Ironton, they swept their league, beating Grand Slam and Blue Goose. These guys could be sleepers.

Hokie House VIKING leads a solid team that Don Denton ranks as 58th in Showdown Average and 33rd in Place Points. They lost to Fletcher's and Tailgate last year for a 1-2 record. This year's no picnic again with its three other league-mates. But this is the Old Dominion and they're fighters.

Galadriel League

Jilly's As Sullivan's or Jilly's, this is an elite team as evidenced by their 4th seed overall. Led by DAIMYO and PYRE, they'll be tough to beat, as they were last year when they went 3-0. A class team that lost its first Sweet Sixteen game last year to eventual Sandbag champions The Fellowship. I'll bet that they're still pissed about that.

Houlihan's-Brick Seeded 8th last year, the Garden Staters were stunned by West Park Station and finished 1-2 for the Round Robin. Again higher ranked than their Cleveland league-mates, I think that they're looking for redemption and will come out swinging.

Holiday Inn-Vancouver is the Sandbag's west-est and BC's bestest, ranked 35. But last year they went 0-3 against Grand Slam, Blue Goose and BWW-Muskegon. They're doing well this year in Showdown and want some redemption too. But it's a tough league.

West Park Station Nice folks and friends of fellow Buckeyes The Fellowship, these Clevelanders have steadily improved over the years. WONK and TRVGRL et al will be tested early by Jilly's, then Houlihan's-Brick. They won their league last year, so perhaps Iron Chef Michael Symon can spice up their game.

Aragorn League

Houlihan's-Westbury BEEL and MUTTS have led this team to heights undreamed of by New York’s mortal men -- they outrank Mad River! Seeded fifth overall this year, with a Showdown win under their belts, they're tough. But Tailgate and Stadium Cafe await, so a Houlihan's win will be well earned.

Tailgate Led by GOD himself, they're the best in the Gopher State and have two Showdown wins this year. They finished 5th last week. Ranked 19th in Showdown Average and Place Points this year, they won their 2010 Sandbag Round Robin league by beating some clowns from Kalamazoo and going 3-0. Look for them to do well again this year.

Stadium Café At the turn of the millennium, this team was the top wrangler at the rodeo, winning the 2000 McCarthy Cup. Though other posses have moved ahead of them since, this Addison, TX team should not be under-estimated. Can the once-king return in the Aragorn league?

Old Barn in Portland is representing Oregon this year rather than Gator's Pub. Old Barn seems to be fairly consistent in Showdown scoring, but these 61st-ranked Sandbag rookies face three veteran teams. We wish them luck.

Gimli League

Varsity Grill and Bar Just because you don't recognize the location, know that KENDO and crew have re-located to Varsity from BWW-Tallahassee, no doubt due to Blazin' Wings overload. But the team is hot enough without the sauce -- #1 in the Sunshine State. They’ll be hard to beat.

Teaser's If you want to play Showdown in Chicago and likely win, you play at Teaser's. CLIPPR and MERKIN (look it up) et al may not have Varsity's numbers, but they bring Da Bears and Da Bulls when they need to. It's a tough team and the best in the state.

Touch of Class There is nothing north of Edmonton except tundra, so these folks practice their trivia. They have a Showdown ranking of #39 and the best average in Alberta of teams with more than 10 games this year. If they bring an Alberta Clipper with them, they compete well.

PrimeTime It's gotta be tough in Tampa to compete against In The Zone, but PrimeTime does well. Seeded 4th in their league last year, they beat Heroes-Wichita and Adam's Mill and won their league. Their only loss then was to Teaser's, so the re-match will be one to watch.

Eowyn League

Concert Pub Don Denton lists 29 locations in Texas (the most of any state) worthy of his list. And Concert Pub is the best of 'em, posting an 11th best Showdown Average and 8th best Place Points ranking. BBBB and CLAVIN finished just behind crosstown rival SRO OT last week. I'll bet that's got their dander up for this first week. And maybe for the tournament.

Beef O'Brady's, Newburgh IN Never heard of them? Well, this is where CONDOR landed and finished 11th last week. As Old Chicago-Evansville last year, this team was just getting settled and went 0-3 in the Sandbag. But they ain't the second seed in the Eowyn League this year for nuthin'.

Adam's Mill There are only three Showdown spots in The Nutmeg State and Adam's Mill is the best of 'em. RICHTE, TIM and the rest can surprise ya -- last year, third seeded in their league, they beat Heroes-Wichita and Teaser's, ultimately losing their league title on the tie-breaker. They come to play.

Old Town Tavern is not the best team in the Sandbag, but they always show up ready to compete and can surprise anyone. Last year they went 1-2 last year in the Round Robin proving that they can win.

Legolas League

Grand Slam One of the grand ole teams and perennially among the best. Ranked 10th in Showdown average, they are always a team anyone loves to beat . . .and seldom does.

Henry Hudson's Seeded 11th in last year's Sandbag, these Sooners were upset by BWW-Tallahassee (now Varsity) in the Round Robin. They should do well in games one and two, but can they pull the upset trick against Grand Slam? It's truly possible.

Duke's of Scottsdale is a comer to watch. From 0 Top 100 finishes in 2006-09, last year they posted 17 Final Board appearances and they rank 30th in Place Points. Their work is cut out for them against Grand Slam and Henry Hudson's.

Alibis I don't know much about this Indianapolis team -- they're relatively new. Don Denton's stats are: #103 in Showdown average and #106 in Place Points. Playing against Grand Slam and Henry Hudson's will be lesson in elite play.

Elrond League

Coaches Albuquerque's best went to the Elite Eight last year and they want more. They're the fourth highest ranked team in Place Points and 12th in Showdown Average. BLZBUB and MENTAT will give their league and all of the rest all that they can handle this go-around.

Blue Goose ROOROO and the Gaggle are real gamers, ranked 31 in Showdown average and 22 in Place Points. They’re here every tournament and always win games, if not the title. Coaches better keep their eyes on the Gaggle in Week 3.

8th Street Grill Watch out for these guys -- you never know when they'll rear up and bite ya. In the Sandbag 2010, they lost to SRO OT, but bounced back to defeat Mad River (!!!) and Old Chicago-Evansville, losing their league on points. They can play.

Baxter's, Fairview Heights IL Another newcomer -- or maybe not. MITCHWOLF(of BWW-O'Fallon and GRIFF(of Laclede Street) are playing here, bringing Sandbag experience with them. Dueling with the top three seeds in this league is going to be a challenge.

PREDICTIONS:
I’m picking favorites in the first week, especially with the #1 seeds facing the #4s. For upset possibilities, I’d look to Holiday Inn-Vancouver and Stadium Café to surprise us all.

Good luck all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

CTCOOK wrote:

Baxter's, Fairview Heights IL Another newcomer -- or maybe not. MITCHWOLF(of BWW-O'Fallon and GRIFF(of Laclede Street) are playing here, bringing Sandbag experience with them. Dueling with the top three seeds in this league is going to be a challenge.

MITCHWOLF is a SANDBAGGER?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 pm 
Centenarian

Congrats to all teams tonight. We missed the last question in the 5th round and bled a lot on the final. We were on Sri Lanka or Myanmar, with one on Indonesia.