New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SD 10/18/11
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 am 
Centenarian

We were hugely pissed off by the chess questions in the Category Round last night. They were insultingly easy and would not have been out of place in "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?". Why BT feels that chess is some fantastically obscure game that few Showdown players could possibly know about is beyond me. The rest of the game was at an adult level - why single out chess for the dumb treatment?

I was looking forward to those questions, as were my teammates. We were expecting some challenging questions about current players, former champions, possibly even particular openings or qualification standards for the various chess titles (GM, IM etc) - something imaginative. Not what color the pieces are (well, that would have been the next question had there been three).

Post subject: Re: SD 10/18/11
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 am 
Himself Fodder

That's happened before with chess questions in SD. How silly were the other choices vs. 8 pawns? LOL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 am 

We made all the same comments! As a fellow player said last night, how the heck could they think that a group this nerdy has never played chess?

Also note that the "factoid" given after the first question (the 64 squares are arranged in the 8x8 grid) essentially gave away the answer of the second question (how many pawns?).

Sad, indeed. But, I'm still utterly bitter that I studied stage designers for 10+ hours these past few days and didn't get Erte. The dude is known for movies and fashion! Arg! I did note however in an earlier round that mentioned Follies that Aronson won the Tony for THAT set design. :)

Thank goodness we finally went five for five on Pyramid... I'm looking foward to next week's match up!

I'm not bad -- I'm just drawn that way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:20 pm 

Also - not sure if we are getting a recap via Coaches - but does anyone have the alternative categories questions?

We selected Business twice (I think) and the answers were Red Lobster (I think) & some care rental.. Dollar Thrifty.

We got both chess questions (# of squares # of pawns)

We chose 1 India and it had to do w/ an old region of India that started with M...

We chose 1 stage designer. The questions was along the lines of working on or with Ziegfried Follies. Answer was Erte. I still dissent. :)

Who were the architects? Other stage designer?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:40 pm 
Centenarian

RABBIT wrote:
Also - not sure if we are getting a recap via Coaches - but does anyone have the alternative categories questions?

We selected Business twice (I think) and the answers were Red Lobster (I think) & some care rental.. Dollar Thrifty.

We got both chess questions (# of squares # of pawns)

We chose 1 India and it had to do w/ an old region of India that started with M...

We chose 1 stage designer. The questions was along the lines of working on or with Ziegfried Follies. Answer was Erte. I still dissent. :)

Who were the architects? Other stage designer?

We diligently avoided stage designers.

Architect #1 was: Charles Bulfinch was a ___ architect: EARLY AMERICAN

Current Politics #1 was: This country just elected its first female prime minister: DENMARK

The Indian kingdom was Magadha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:44 pm 
Himself Fodder

Architects #2 gave some name and asked what type of building he was known for. Answer was skyscraper, other choices were pretty asinine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 pm 

Hm. I forget the matchups but with my fumble, I think our better choice woulda been architects. Sounds like we woulda figured it out. C'est la vie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

RABBIT wrote:
Hm. I forget the matchups but with my fumble, I think our better choice woulda been architects. Sounds like we woulda figured it out. C'est la vie.

Actually the other choice was Current Politics, and would have been the Denmark question. No biggie, though--we all sincerely do appreciate your studying for it.

Here's hoping the categories this week include "Horses," "Russian Weightlifters," and "Ohio History" :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:01 am 

ANON wrote:
Here's hoping the categories this week include "Horses," "Russian Weightlifters," and "Ohio History" :D

No, you mean it would be HORRIBLE to have those categories... worst choices ever! wink, wink.