New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for {NOT} Coaches, 25 Oct 2011
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

This recap is so late, because I played the game at Banditos Cantina in Aiea, HI and have just recently returned to the mainland. There will only be brief snapshots of the game as I was not able to position the video device to record the game, and I had to resort to paper notes. I played with my wife and my two travel buddies Chris and Carol, and we did pretty well for the night.

Warm-up Round
Just had credit rating reduced: ITALY. 2. ? 3. Welterweight FLOYD MAYWEATHER. 4 through 10?( but we got them right, so they couldn’t have been too hard.

Trivia Team Management Lesson 1: A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is finishing up her shower, when the doorbell rings. The wife quickly wraps herself in a towel and runs downstairs. When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the next-door neighbor. Before she says a word, Bob says, 'I'll give you {the answer to Question 3} to drop that towel.' After thinking for a moment, the woman drops her towel and stands naked in front of Bob, after a few seconds, Bob hands her {the answer to Question 3} and leaves.
The woman wraps back up in the towel and goes back upstairs. When she gets to the bathroom, her husband asks, 'Who was that?' 'It was Bob the next door neighbor,' she replies. 'Great,' the husband says, 'did he say anything about the {the answer to Question 3} he owes me?'
Moral of the story: If you share critical information pertaining to credit and risk with your teammates in time, you may be in a position to prevent avoidable exposure.

Ground-down Round
1. Named 2 guys just released from prison in: IRAN (right)
2. Something…the new journalism: GAY TALESE (3rd clue)
3. Peter J. McGuire started concept: LABOR DAY (3rd clue)
4. Brit., Rich Hamilton: POP ARTIST (3rd clue)
5. Psychoprophylaxis: CHILD BIRTH (noodled it out, correct)
6. Kepler 16-B: PLANET (right)
7. Gave names of 3 sets of TWIN BROTHERS (right)
8. Giant, sea and (one other?): OTTERS (Chris got it right)
9. Archtop and flattop are classes of: GUITARS (right)
10. Havaianas: BRAZIL (lucky guess)
11. Phrase that marks you as an outsider: SHIBBOLETH (Chris again)
12. Sir Joseph Lister: ANTISEPTIC SURGERY (right)

Lesson 2: A priest offered a Nun a lift. She got in and crossed her legs, forcing her gown to reveal a leg. The priest nearly had an accident. After controlling the car, he stealthily slid his hand up her leg. The nun said, 'Father, remember Psalm 129?' The priest removed his hand But, changing gears, he let his hand slide up her leg again. The nun once again said, 'Father, remember Psalm 129?' The priest apologized 'Sorry sister but the flesh is weak.' Arriving at the convent, the nun sighed heavily and went on her way. On his arrival at the church, the priest rushed to look up Psalm 129. It said, 'Go forth and seek, further up, you will find glory.'
Moral of the story: If you are not well informed in your job, you might miss a great opportunity.

CATEGORY ROUND
1. RECENT DEATHS v Renaissance
Troy Davis was recently executed in this state: GEORGIA (3rd clue)
2. DWARF PLANETS v Spanish poets
Discovered in 2005, Makemake has an orbit of 310 years. (right)
3. JAZZ v German Films
This trumpet player went insane early in life and spent the rest of it in an asylum: BUDDY BOLDEN (right)
4. Spanish poets v RECENT DEATHS
? Rabbani the ___ Vice President was assassinated: AFGHAN (RIGHT)
5. German films v DWARF PLANETS
Dysnomia…dwarf planet: ERIS (3rd clue)
6. Renaissance v JAZZ
“The Zodiac Suite” is among compositions by jazz pianist: MARY LOU WILLIAMS (BLZBUB, bazinga)

Lesson 3: A female player, a pedantic male player, and the team moderator are walking to the smoking area when they find an antique oil lamp. They rub it and a Genie comes out. The Genie says, 'I'll give each of you just one wish.' 'Me first! Me first!' says the female player. 'I want to be in the Bahamas , driving a speedboat, without a care in the world.' Puff! She's gone.
'Me next! Me next!' says the male player. 'I want to be in Hawaii , relaxing on the beach with my personal masseuse, an endless supply of Pina Coladas and the love of my life.' Puff! He's gone.
'OK, you're up,' the Genie says to the moderator. The moderator says, 'I want those two back in the seats after the Category Round.'
Moral of the story: Always let your boss have the first say.

Frightening Round
1. Strangles disease: HORSES (yup). 2. Michael Stipe: R.E.M. (my wife, cha-ching). 3. (garbled notes) Giant African: SNAILS (good guess). 4. Robert Kiyosaki book: RICH DAD, POOR DAD (right). 5. Sloheim (garbled) WOMEN CYCLE? (2-way split. 6. The first solid state laser: RUBY (right). 7. Deciduous tree: BEECH (right)

Lesson 4: An eagle was sitting on a tree resting, doing nothing. A small rabbit saw the eagle and asked him, 'Can I also sit like you and do nothing?' The eagle answered: 'Sure, why not.' So, the rabbit sat on the ground below the eagle and rested. All of a sudden, a fox appeared, jumped on the rabbit and ate it.
Moral of the story: To be sitting and doing nothing, you must be sitting very, very high up.

Py-ram-it Round
P1. Ferdinand Bardamu is the protagonist in a novel by: LOUIS-FERDINAND CELINE (Missed it.)
P2. Eructation is aka: BURP (right)
P3. Physicist Harry Nyquist was a pioneer and major contributor to: INFORMATION THEORY (good one Chris)
P4. Responsible for popularizing Montessori schools in the U.S.: DOROTHY CANFIELD FISHER (missed)
P5. Minarchism is a/an: POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY (Missed it, but one box got a lucky guess.)

Lesson 5: A turkey was chatting with a bull. 'I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree' sighed the turkey, 'but I haven't got the energy.' 'Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?' replied the bull. They're packed with nutrients.' The turkey pecked at a lump of dung, and found it actually gave him enough strength to reach the lowest branch of the tree. The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. Finally after a fourth night, the turkey was proudly perched at the top of the tree. He was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot him out of the tree.
Moral of the story: Bull S#!t might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there.

FINAL TRAGEDY on the Topic of: ASSASSINATION ATTEMPTS

In 1918 Fanya Kaplan shot at and wounded:
NIKOLAI LENIN (flailing away here, and one box had a lucky strike)

Lesson 6: A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold the bird froze and fell to the ground into a large field. While he was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on him. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, he began to realize how warm he was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him.
Morals of the story:
(1) Not everyone who dumps on you is your enemy.
(2) Not everyone who gets you out of doo doo is your friend.
(3) And when you're in deep doo doo, it's best to keep your mouth shut!

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for {NOT} Coaches, 25 Oct 2011
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:47 pm 
Himself Fodder

You're in Hawaii and you play SD during the middle of the day when you should be on a beach? Are you fucking mad?

By the way, did you spend some time on the North Shore? I refuse to spend any time in Honolulu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

My rough notes can add a little to this (in colour below)

BLZBUB wrote:
This recap is so late, because I played the game at Banditos Cantina in Aiea, HI and have just recently returned to the mainland. There will only be brief snapshots of the game as I was not able to position the video device to record the game, and I had to resort to paper notes. I played with my wife and my two travel buddies Chris and Carol, and we did pretty well for the night.

Warm-up Round
Just had credit rating reduced: ITALY. 2. 'The Bunny Years' is a movie featuring (The Playboy Club)? 3. Welterweight title recently taken from Victor Ortiz by FLOYD MAYWEATHER. 4 through 10?( but we got them right, so they couldn’t have been too hard. 4. This character was in 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea and something else (Captain Nemo). 5. The burqua was recently banned in (The Netherlands). 6. Stephen King's first novel was (Carrie). 7. This President desegregated the U. S. Armed Forces (Truman). 8. The B of the BRIC group stands for (Brazil). 9. A cockerel is a (rooster). 10. These two cultures had an ancient Book of the Dead: Egypt and (Tibet).

Trivia Team Management Lesson 1: A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is finishing up her shower, when the doorbell rings. The wife quickly wraps herself in a towel and runs downstairs. When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the next-door neighbor. Before she says a word, Bob says, 'I'll give you {the answer to Question 3} to drop that towel.' After thinking for a moment, the woman drops her towel and stands naked in front of Bob, after a few seconds, Bob hands her {the answer to Question 3} and leaves.
The woman wraps back up in the towel and goes back upstairs. When she gets to the bathroom, her husband asks, 'Who was that?' 'It was Bob the next door neighbor,' she replies. 'Great,' the husband says, 'did he say anything about the {the answer to Question 3} he owes me?'
Moral of the story: If you share critical information pertaining to credit and risk with your teammates in time, you may be in a position to prevent avoidable exposure.

Ground-down Round
1. Named 2 guys just released from prison in: IRAN (right)
2. Something…the new journalism: GAY TALESE (3rd clue) A new journalist and leader in creative non-fiction
3. Peter J. McGuire started concept: LABOR DAY (3rd clue)
4. Brit., Rich Hamilton: POP ARTIST (3rd clue)
5. Psychoprophylaxis used in preparing for: CHILD BIRTH (noodled it out, correct)
6. Kepler 16-B is a newly discovered : PLANET (right)
7. Gave names of 3 sets of TWIN BROTHERS (right) Aegyptus & Danaus, Castor & Pollux, and ?
8. Giant, sea and (one other?): OTTERS (Chris got it right) The other one gave it away - Northern River ___
9. Archtop and flattop are classes of: GUITARS (right)
10. Havaianas are flip-flops made in : BRAZIL (lucky guess)
11. Phrase that marks you as an outsider: SHIBBOLETH (Chris again)
12. Sir Joseph Lister: ANTISEPTIC SURGERY (right)

Lesson 2: A priest offered a Nun a lift. She got in and crossed her legs, forcing her gown to reveal a leg. The priest nearly had an accident. After controlling the car, he stealthily slid his hand up her leg. The nun said, 'Father, remember Psalm 129?' The priest removed his hand But, changing gears, he let his hand slide up her leg again. The nun once again said, 'Father, remember Psalm 129?' The priest apologized 'Sorry sister but the flesh is weak.' Arriving at the convent, the nun sighed heavily and went on her way. On his arrival at the church, the priest rushed to look up Psalm 129. It said, 'Go forth and seek, further up, you will find glory.'
Moral of the story: If you are not well informed in your job, you might miss a great opportunity.

CATEGORY ROUND
1. RECENT DEATHS v Renaissance
Troy Davis was recently executed in this state: GEORGIA (3rd clue)
2. DWARF PLANETS v Spanish poets
Discovered in 2005, Makemake has an orbit of 310 years. (right)
3. JAZZ v German Films
This trumpet player went insane early in life and spent the rest of it in an asylum: BUDDY BOLDEN (right)
4. Spanish poets v RECENT DEATHS
? Rabbani the ___ President was recently assassinated: AFGHAN (RIGHT)
5. German films v DWARF PLANETS
Dysnomia…dwarf planet: ERIS (3rd clue)
6. Renaissance v JAZZ
“The Zodiac Suite” is among compositions by jazz pianist: MARY LOU WILLIAMS (BLZBUB, bazinga)
6. Renaissance This philosopher and astronomer was condemned by the Roman Inquisition (Giordano Bruno).

Lesson 3: A female player, a pedantic male player, and the team moderator are walking to the smoking area when they find an antique oil lamp. They rub it and a Genie comes out. The Genie says, 'I'll give each of you just one wish.' 'Me first! Me first!' says the female player. 'I want to be in the Bahamas , driving a speedboat, without a care in the world.' Puff! She's gone.
'Me next! Me next!' says the male player. 'I want to be in Hawaii , relaxing on the beach with my personal masseuse, an endless supply of Pina Coladas and the love of my life.' Puff! He's gone.
'OK, you're up,' the Genie says to the moderator. The moderator says, 'I want those two back in the seats after the Category Round.'
Moral of the story: Always let your boss have the first say.

Frightening Round
1. Strangles disease: HORSES (yup). 2. Michael Stipe: R.E.M. (my wife, cha-ching). 3. (garbled notes) Another Florida invasion of Giant African: SNAILS (good guess). 4. Robert Kiyosaki book: RICH DAD, POOR DAD (right). 5. Sloheim Cup is awarded for (garbled) WOMEN CYCLE? (I think that it was Women's Golf) (2-way split. 6. The first solid state laser invented in 1960: RUBY (right). 7. Deciduous tree: BEECH (right)

Lesson 4: An eagle was sitting on a tree resting, doing nothing. A small rabbit saw the eagle and asked him, 'Can I also sit like you and do nothing?' The eagle answered: 'Sure, why not.' So, the rabbit sat on the ground below the eagle and rested. All of a sudden, a fox appeared, jumped on the rabbit and ate it.
Moral of the story: To be sitting and doing nothing, you must be sitting very, very high up.

Py-ram-it Round
P1. Ferdinand Bardamu is the protagonist in a novel by: LOUIS-FERDINAND CELINE (Missed it.)
P2. Eructation is aka: BURP (right)
P3. Physicist Harry Nyquist was a pioneer and major contributor to: INFORMATION THEORY (good one Chris)
P4. Responsible for popularizing Montessori schools in the U.S.: DOROTHY CANFIELD FISHER (missed)
P5. Minarchism is a/an: POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY (Missed it, but one box got a lucky guess.)

Lesson 5: A turkey was chatting with a bull. 'I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree' sighed the turkey, 'but I haven't got the energy.' 'Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?' replied the bull. They're packed with nutrients.' The turkey pecked at a lump of dung, and found it actually gave him enough strength to reach the lowest branch of the tree. The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. Finally after a fourth night, the turkey was proudly perched at the top of the tree. He was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot him out of the tree.
Moral of the story: Bull S#!t might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there.

FINAL TRAGEDY on the Topic of: ASSASSINATION ATTEMPTS

In 1918 Fanya Kaplan shot at and wounded:
NIKOLAI LENIN (flailing away here, and one box had a lucky strike)

Lesson 6: A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold the bird froze and fell to the ground into a large field. While he was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on him. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, he began to realize how warm he was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him.
Morals of the story:
(1) Not everyone who dumps on you is your enemy.
(2) Not everyone who gets you out of doo doo is your friend.
(3) And when you're in deep doo doo, it's best to keep your mouth shut!

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:46 pm 
Centenarian

Third set of twins was Romulus and Remus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The first Renaissance question's answer was Erasmus, but I can't remember the question.

The first German film question asked which movie starring Peter Lorre was about a child murderer. The answer was "M"