New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It should be awesome!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:06 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I'm waiting for BO's head to explode tomorrow night. One of the announced categories is "Pop Songs."

Post subject: Re: It should be awesome!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:19 pm 
Himself Fodder

S O B wrote:
I'm waiting for BO's head to explode tomorrow night. One of the announced categories is "Pop Songs."

Fuck 'em. It'll be up against History and Geography.

The product continues to worsen. Way too many ways to cheat in trivia, BT doesn't give a shit about getting Topix and SIQ in the HOF, they continue to cater to brain-dead teeny-boppers who wouldn't be caught dead playing trivia. If there was any competition whatsoever in the market, BT would be getting lapped. But they can survive with a lessened product because it's the only game in town.

They make sure categories are posted in good stead because it drives traffic to the site, but yet they'll wait until 2012 to get the appropriate games in the HOF.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:50 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
S O B wrote:

Fuck 'em. It'll be up against History and Geography.

The product continues to worsen. Way too many ways to cheat in trivia, BT doesn't give a shit about getting Topix and SIQ in the HOF, they continue to cater to brain-dead teeny-boppers who wouldn't be caught dead playing trivia. If there was any competition whatsoever in the market, BT would be getting lapped. But they can survive with a lessened product because it's the only game in town.

They make sure categories are posted in good stead because it drives traffic to the site, but yet they'll wait until 2012 to get the appropriate games in the HOF.

"Preach it, Brother"!! I agree with everythig you've said. If I were'nt so hopelessly addicted to this stuff I would have hung it up a long time ago. It's not like there's not tons more productive things that I could be doing with my time. But I enjoy it so much I keep coming back to a watered down product catering to a demographic that I have absolutely nothing in common with, and quality control that would get folks fired or the whole business shut down if it were performed like that in the field that I work in. Ive been very close to the end of my rope many times but I have kept coming back for more. Frustrating though it often is, its still trivia and on certain nights can be a helluva lot of fun. I cant help but long for the "old days" though, or at least pre 8 - 8 -08 days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:

I eager to find out what questions will show up on it.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Out of idle curiosity, does BT have the technology to determine how many players nationwide chose each category?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
Out of idle curiosity, does BT have the technology to determine how many players nationwide chose each category?

They have the technology, but whether they use it or not is another question. It's just a few lines of code.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:

Agreed. If it's a question about a pop standard (like a songwriting question or a factoid question about something like, say, "White Christmas"), then I think that would be okay for Showdown.

But if it's something fluff, like who sings "Born This Way" and "Love Game"...then there's no way something like that should be in Showdown.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:59 am 
Moderating Hobbit

poman wrote:
MitchWolf wrote:

Agreed. If it's a question about a pop standard (like a songwriting question or a factoid question about something like, say, "White Christmas"), then I think that would be okay for Showdown.

But if it's something fluff, like who sings "Born This Way" and "Love Game"...then there's no way something like that should be in Showdown.

If it's Jersey Shore, I expect to see all of you on the news Occupying Carlsbad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 pm 
Lotsa Posta

So...did anyone bite?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

My team--who I should make clear I love dearly--by one vote chose pop music over HISTORY. Fortunately it was one that we knew, something like "Which song was a hit for Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Nina Simone."

Anyone take any of the currency questions?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:33 pm 
Himself Fodder

ANON wrote:
My team--who I should make clear I love dearly--by one vote chose pop music over HISTORY. Fortunately it was one that we knew, something like "Which song was a hit for Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Nina Simone."

First one wanted the year the U.S. paper currency act was signed.

Any SD team that chose pop music over history should be severely penalized IMHO. I think every member of your team should be subjected to Trendalicious this Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
ANON wrote:

The second currency question asked for the face on the $100 bill. Three of the other choices were George Washington, John Adams, and Paul Revere. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 pm 
Colt

The second music question asked which George Harrison song is on Abbey Road.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Any SD team that chose pop music over history should be severely penalized IMHO. I think every member of your team should be subjected to Trendalicious this Friday.

One takes what one gets with a chaocracy, and the three history professors at our table were actually laughing as we got outvoted. As it was, we got full credit for it on the precall--fortunately we are a pretty deep chaocracy, and some of us (not me, I suspect) might actually thrive on Trendalicious.

Just for grins, though, what was the first history question?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:22 am 
Scarcolyte

ANON wrote:

I shall here remind you that Screamin' Jay was from Cleveland.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:28 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congrats to the StringWingers again. Very nice score in a very difficult game. Only two bars broke 49k. Our little half-team at Dagwoods had precious few correct answers on the last six questions. <sigh.> You guys must be smart!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:30 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

First history question was something like "Gustavus Adolphus the (second? third?) presided over the golden age of ____. Answer Sweden.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
Congrats to the StringWingers again. Very nice score in a very difficult game. Only two bars broke 49k. Our little half-team at Dagwoods had precious few correct answers on the last six questions. <sigh.> You guys must be smart!

Only one bar broke 50k that wasn't looking up answers, nice score Stringers...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:11 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I was expecting to see the borgs all over the top ten. A lot of the pyramids were googleable but I guess the final was worded in such a way that you'd have to search the five choices. Something like: which of the following was a 16th C. essayist?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:39 pm 
Himself Fodder

lewser wrote:
S O B wrote:

Only one bar broke 50k that wasn't looking up answers, nice score Stringers...

Or magically added a bunch of boxes between BB and SD. I still can't believe that a few people here (who are aware of all the facts) still think that place is legit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
Congrats to the StringWingers again. Very nice score in a very difficult game. Only two bars broke 49k. Our little half-team at Dagwoods had precious few correct answers on the last six questions. <sigh.>

Thanks! We mostly choked on the critter question in Pyramid, and so were a bit surprised to see ourselves at the top.

Quote:
You guys must be smart!

Aw, shucks :oops: We do indeed have a lot of smart cookies on the team, and I am very glad they let me play with them anyway. We were also helped by the fact that a couple of us know one of the guys who worked on the team that discovered and wrote up Ardipithecus ramidus, so the last Pyramid question was a bit of an early Christmas gift.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ARBEZ wrote:
ANON wrote:

Not a reminder to me, because I did not know that! Thanks for the precall, by the way--the team obviously made a good choice on that question.

(Like I said, we have some smart cookies :) )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
I was expecting to see the borgs all over the top ten. A lot of the pyramids were googleable but I guess the final was worded in such a way that you'd have to search the five choices. Something like: which of the following was a 16th C. essayist?

Just a cursory look over the scores seems to show that it was not a particularly borg-friendly game: Zack's at 19th, Home Turf at 27th, Ram Family Restaurant in 50th, Spectators at 54th, and McGillacuddy's at 100th. And this during the last week of the traveling trophy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:
Just a cursory look over the scores seems to show that it was not a particularly borg-friendly game: Zack's at 19th, Home Turf at 27th, Ram Family Restaurant in 50th, Spectators at 54th, and McGillacuddy's at 100th. And this during the last week of the traveling trophy.

At least 2 of the top 11 were BORG..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:03 pm 
Scarcolyte

ANON wrote:
ARBEZ wrote:
ANON wrote:

Not a reminder to me, because I did not know that! Thanks for the precall, by the way--the team obviously made a good choice on that question.

(Like I said, we have some smart cookies :) )

There were several possibilities, but I was pretty sure Nina Simone never recorded "Constipation Blues."