New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown 13 December 2011
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Congrats and curses to Mad River--The former for their decisive win on a tough game, the latter for breaking up our chance for a three-peat. If we had to lose, though, we are glad that it is to a class act like you.

Post subject: Re: Showdown 13 December 2011
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:44 pm 
Himself Fodder

Glad to see a thread on tonight's premium game sandwiched between the numerous free-for-all crap.

Thought the Pyramid Round was surprisingly simple (for that round) and Final Strategy was a ball-breaker.

Both sports guys didn't feel at all comfortable with Boxing Currents so we avoided it, but would love to know what the questions were.

Was the theremin question in SD? Thank you Big Bang Theory! :D

BO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Glad to see a thread on tonight's premium game sandwiched between the numerous free-for-all crap.

Thought the Pyramid Round was surprisingly simple (for that round) and Final Strategy was a ball-breaker.

Both sports guys didn't feel at all comfortable with Boxing Currents so we avoided it, but would love to know what the questions were.

BO

Big Bang Theory?
*sigh*
Your pseudogeekery is showing. A real nerd would have gone straight for the jugular with The Day the Earth Stood Still, most likely following that up by fainting at the sight of blood.
You whippersnappers and your fancy "theremins"... calling 'em etherophones was good enough when I was a kid and it's still good enough now...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 am 
New Driver

The first Boxing Question was roughly what country is Juan Manuel Marquez from? Mexico
Had to beg for a vote my way on that one. Even though we all got 1k and I was confident I would get the other question right, the team apparently decided that one question a night is good enough for me and didn't get to see the second question.

L PATO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

BO

I didn't see a theramin question in SD last night--although I would have preferred to see one rather than some of the ones we got. If it wasn't in the category round it was probably in another game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I recall a "theramin" question, probably in Brainbusters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Thanks, ANON. We bled points like crazy on the second round, but felt pretty good when we aced the Pyramid. (Like BO said, it was fairly easy, but they're all easy when you know the answers.) HPYNDG was great all night. (That's pronounced "happy ending," btw.) Then when we saw OPERA for the final, we knew we had a good chance, because two of our players are buffs, including my wife DAR. I believe she pre-called Manon Lescaut (sp?) and we got full points. Incidentally, it's good that the Buzzies seem to be writing more questions lately that take too long for the borgs to Google. Keep it up, guys!
XT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:18 am 
Himself Fodder

xtrain wrote:
Thanks, ANON. We bled points like crazy on the second round, but felt pretty good when we aced the Pyramid. (Like BO said, it was fairly easy, but they're all easy when you know the answers.) HPYNDG was great all night. (That's pronounced "happy ending," btw.) Then when we saw OPERA for the final, we knew we had a good chance, because two of our players are buffs, including my wife DAR. I believe she pre-called Manon Lescaut (sp?) and we got full points. Incidentally, it's good that the Buzzies seem to be writing more questions lately that take too long for the borgs to Google. Keep it up, guys!
XT

IMO, that's a heckuva good precall. Our classical music guru was stumped.

Somebody else mentioned that question was borg-resistant, but I disagree. You type in Puccini and Massenet and it auto-completes Manon, and then most of the first page mentions at the very least the first word of the piece. However the borgs did quite poorly last night, which reinforces the notion the current drones are dumb as neanderthals.

I'm not mistaken that the question gave both composer's names am I?

BO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
xtrain wrote:
XT

IMO, that's a heckuva good precall. Our classical music guru was stumped.

Somebody else mentioned that question was borg-resistant, but I disagree. You type in Puccini and Massenet and it auto-completes Manon, and then most of the first page mentions at the very least the first word of the piece. However the borgs did quite poorly last night, which reinforces the notion the current drones are dumb as neanderthals.

I'm not mistaken that the question gave both composer's names am I?

BO

Merkin from Teasers joined us Tuesday for SD and he precalled the answer. If you are an opera fan you probably knew it. I had absolutely no idea. We all got it. Thanks Merkin.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:20 am 
Himself Fodder

FrankC wrote:
Merkin from Teasers joined us Tuesday for SD and he precalled the answer. If you are an opera fan you probably knew it. I had absolutely no idea. We all got it. Thanks Merkin.

Say what? If you had no clue how would you have any idea about whether opera fans would have known it or not? As I said, our classical music guru was clueless, and a couple others are certainly opera fans and we had no idea as well. You can't base your statement on the fact that the one opera fan you were with on one night happened to know it.

Judging by the overall scores and the fact that many SD players are opera fans, It's pretty obvious that most opera fans didn't know it.

It was an excellent question however.

BO