New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for Black Angus on 14 Oct 2014
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Worn-up Round

1. In North America, a form of millet called proso millet is mostly grown for: BIRDSEED. 2. Which vehicles are classified as rigid, semi-rigid and non-rigid? AIRSHIPS. 3. The first full moon in October is called the hunter’s moon or the ___ moon: BLOOD. 4. This Canadian lake is the world’s eighth largest by surface area: GREAT BEAR LAKE. 5. Despite its name, it may have under 20 or as many as 300 legs: CENTIPEDE. 6. Which European country is nicknamed ‘the Hexagon’? FRANCE. 7. The Southern Hemisphere’s equivalent of the Aurora Borealis is the Aurora ___: AUSTRALIS. 8. Which film studio created the Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Wile E. Coyote cartoons: WARNER BROTHERS. 9. Which Florida city is located on the state’s West Coast: ST. PETERSBURG. 10. Belinda Bencic, Martina Hingis and Stan Warwinka are all tennis aces who have represented: SWITZERLAND.

Ground-down Round

1. Argentine writer Manuel Puig wrote this acclaimed book: KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN. 2. Philip II of Macedon was assassinated by: ONE OF HIS BODYGUARDS. 3. The International Astronomical Union recognizes exactly ___ dwarf planets: FIVE {They are Pluto, Eris, Haumea, Makemake, and Ceres.} 4. The Aramaic alphabet and writing system were derived from the ___ system: PHOENICIAN. 5. In which sport are there shots called ‘boast,’ ‘nick shot’ and ‘Philadelphia’? SQUASH. 6. Knuckle-busters were once widely used to: PROCESS CREDIT CARDS. 7. The Gulf of Darien is part of the: CARIBBEAN SEA. 8. This Civil War General ran against Abraham Lincoln in the 1864 Presidential election: GEORGE MCCLELLAN. 9. The ___ bullfrog is a large amphibian known to eat birds and rodents: AFRICAN. 10. Which composer wrote the Mercury, The Surprise and Farewell Symphonies? JOSEPH HAYDN. 11. In cell biology, the cytoplasm’s three main components are cytosol, organelles and: INCLUSIONS. 12. Which fellow star actress was the sister and rival of Olivia de Havilland? JOAN FONTAINE.

Scatology Round

S1. Famous speeches v AMERICAN ARTISTS
John Steuart Curry, Grant Wood and ___ led the U.S. regionalist art movement.
THOMAS HART BENTON

S2. WORLD FLAGS v the Middle East
Dating back to 1219, the flag of ___ is the oldest European national flag:
DENMARK.

S3. Women novelists v U.S. PRESIDENTS
Which U.S. President commanded troops in the War of 1812?
ZACHARY TAYLOR

S4. The Middle East v FAMOUS SPEECHES
Who gave the so-called ‘Atoms for Peace’ speech before the U.N. on December 8, 1953? DWIGHT EISENHOWER.

S5. U.S. PRESIDENTS v world flags
John F. Kennedy was the second President to die before the age 50. Who was the first? JAMES GARFIELD.

S6. American artists v WOMEN NOVELISTS
She was a pioneer in writing realistically about Ireland and for children:
MARIA EDGEWORTH.

Frightening Round

1. Which rock group has played concerts on all seven continents? METALLICA. 2. Turmeric is a spice that is ___ in color: ORANGE-YELLOW. 3. The boomslang is a/an ___ native to sub-Saharan Africa: SNAKE. 4. Which actor will be an honoree at the upcoming Kennedy Center Honors in December? TOM HANKS. 5. The city of Whitehorse is located in this part of Canada: YUKON. 6. Widely eaten in Mexico, the nopal is a type of: CACTUS. 7. Piper Kerman’s popular book is titled ‘___ is the New Black’: ORANGE.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. Called the oldest city in Germany, it was founded at the behest of Augustus in 16 B.C.: TRIER.

P2. Which animal is a close relative of the capybara? GUINEA PIG.

P3. Coined by Clarence Dutton, the term ‘isostasy’ is used mainly in this science:
GEOLOGY.

P4. Insular and continental are the categories into which this language group is divided: CELTIC.

P5. Born circa 1505, Thomas Tallis was England’s premier composer during this period: RENAISSANCE.

FINAL TRAGEDY, on the Topic of: EXTINCT ANIMALS

Which member of the canus genus is extinct?

1. Basenji
2. Dire Wolf
3. Dingo
4. Golden Jackal
5. Ethiopian Wolf

The order of the eliminations was 5, 4, 1, and 3, leaving #2, DIRE WOLF, as the correct answer.

Top six boxes: 46243, 45420, 44674, 44635, 44211, and 43786.
Team score: 44,828
Rank: TENTH in the Mt/Pac Zone and 24TH for all teams playing.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for Black Angus on 14 Oct 2014
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:37 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Only difference I had was first Famous Speeches:

Which noted speech of 1963 quoted the Declaration of Independence?

Despite a momentary flicker of interest in Kennedy's Berlin speech, further reading of the list secured the correct answer of "I have a Dream" for full points. Really should have been a precall but I had it stuck in my head that that speech was earlier than 63 for some reason.

I was tempted twice with Middle East but chickened out fearing current events minutiae. Especially interested if anyone has those.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:19 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

One of the Middle East questions was, Where is Mosul? And the answer was Iraq. If I recall the other I will post it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:10 am 

The first middle east question (S1): The Yazidi are a tribe centered in what country? Again, Iraq.

We took American artists for S6. I had no point of reference. The question involved three artists (more obscure than Dale Chihuly, eg) and asked which medium they worked in. As I recall, the answer was glass, but more specific. So if anyone dropped a few points on Maria Edgeworth (as I would have), the other option might not have played any better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MICE wrote:
We took American artists for S6. I had no point of reference. The question involved three artists (more obscure than Dale Chihuly, eg) and asked which medium they worked in. As I recall, the answer was glass, but more specific. So if anyone dropped a few points on Maria Edgeworth (as I would have), the other option might not have played any better.

Was Dominick Labino one of the examples? If so we would have been better served taking that one--most of us lost most of our points on Edgeworth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:47 pm 

ANON wrote:
MICE wrote:

Was Dominick Labino one of the examples? If so we would have been better served taking that one--most of us lost most of our points on Edgeworth.

Don't hold a gun to my head, but the answer might well have been, "Studio Glass," and names like Mills, Patchen and Labino were likely identified in the question. I had to look up Labino, and learned thereby that Toledo was at one time known as the "Glass Capitol of the World." You guys down in Kentishtown might claim the impoverished hamlet of Cleveland as a fifth-tier suburb (or visa-versa), but likely not Toledo, so the points you missed on "Studio Glass" (presumptively) don't really qualify this as a homeboy question. The really good news for BWW-Kent is that your group lives to fight another day, and next week you'll all be geared to select between Lesbian Soviet Poets vs Sulawesi Cave Painters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

MICE wrote:
You guys down in Kentishtown might claim the impoverished hamlet of Cleveland as a fifth-tier suburb (or visa-versa), but likely not Toledo, so the points you missed on "Studio Glass" (presumptively) don't really qualify this as a homeboy question.

I lived in Toledo for 10 years, and the Toledo Museum of Art has a lot of work by Labino, so it would have been a kind of former-homeboy question for me. It doesn't make any difference now, of course, but it is always interesting to know what the path not taken leads to. As far as the Category Round goes, from what I've read here, we'd probably be about 50/50 on the questions that we split heavily on if we chose the other category.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:07 pm 
Centenarian

MICE wrote:

I lost the video for this question, but it asked for the name of a 'famous collagist'. I don't have the detractor answers, but the answer was Romare Bearden. MAKI got us on it.

BLUMAX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:30 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

blumax wrote:
MICE wrote:

I lost the video for this question, but it asked for the name of a 'famous collagist'. I don't have the detractor answers, but the answer was Romare Bearden. MAKI got us on it.

BLUMAX

Thank you, BLUMAX! I wondered if my memory was going when I saw the "glass" answer and the one provided earlier for "women writers," because I could not recall answering either question. You snapped me out of it with Romare Bearden, the collagist. That indeed was the question we answered at our bar.
XT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:14 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

the last flag question asked what object was pictured on the liechtenstein flag. crown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:59 pm 
Scarcolyte

Nuts. There is a Bearden in the lobby of my building.