New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 28 Apr 2015 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:00 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Scene 1) A group of kids, Boss Man, Spirit Girl, Timid Boy and Valley Girl were cruising in an old Chevy, looking for something to do. After getting bored with cruising Central Avenue and yelling our rude insults to the homeless bums and crack whores, Boss Man asked what else could they do. Spirit Girl suggests that they go to the old BWW place, where rumors of ghosts eliminated from the McCarty Cup are said to reside.
Upon arriving, Timid Boy is coerced into asking an assistant manager if there used to be a McCarthy team in the establishment. The manager says, “Oh yeah, they used to hang out in that side room.” Then Valley Girl pops off, “Yo bro, why’d they hang out in there, it looks like a garage.” The manager sighs and says, “It’s an enclosed patio. And I guess they were embarrassed to carry on like they did in front of the regular customers.”

Worn-up Round

1. A triumvirate is a group or association usually made up of: THREE POWERFUL PEOPLE. 2. Ladysmith Black Mambazo is a male choral group from: SOUTH AFRICA. 3. The rock lobster is also known as the ___ Lobster: SPINY. 4. “Free gifts,” “revert back” and “foreign imports” are common: REDUNDANCIES. {This question has been brought to you by Buzztime’s Department of Redundancy Department.} 5. In the medical acronym “BMI” the ‘M’ stands for: MASS. 6. First published in 1936, ‘Jamaica Inn’ is a historical novel by: DAPHNE DUMAURIER. 7. Commercial fishing, naval, and recreational are three forms of this type of boat: TRAWLER. 8. ___ Ham is a prosciutto, or dry-cured, uncooked ham: PARMA. 9. The world’s top tennis stars played at the PNB Paribas open in ___ earlier this year: CALIFORNIA. 10. Who wrote the famous nonsense poem ‘The Owl and the Pussycat’? EDWARD LEAR.

A perfect round…well almost, but isn’t the PNB pair-a-bras a female doubles team? And how could that be played in California, where no women wear a bra?

Scene 2) Just after sunset the cruising kids enter the side room. It looks normal enough, but it has an air of despair permeating it. Not knowing just what to do, the decide to start a séance. Not long after, Spirit Girl is spooked by an eerie groan. She says she could swear she heard it say BLZBUB.
Valley Girl asks “Whoa sista. Can you really hear the spirits, for reals?” Then asks her if she’s some kind of medium or something. Spirit Girl says although she hates to admit it, she can feel and sometimes hear spirits. She goes on to explain that there were once strong spirits in this room. Just then a strong wind buffets the windows, and the whole sky becomes nearly black with ominous clouds. “Aw, it’s just the NM spring windstorms,” says Boss Man as he laughs it off.

Ground-down Round

1. In urban slang, the ‘rubber ear’ is roughly equivalent to this familiar expression: COLD SHOULDER. 2. In medicine, an ‘AFT’ is commonly called: AMNIOCENTESIS. 3. ‘The ___ Orchard’ is an acclaimed play by Anton Chekov: CHERRY. 4. Vernon and Irene ___ were the premier ballroom dance team of the early 20th Century. CASTLE. 5. How many character alignments do you have in Dungeons and Dragons? NINE. 6. In the world of food, spelt is a type of: WHEAT. 7. Klezmer music is the music of: EASTERN EUROPEAN JEWS. 8. Eiders are large: SEADUCKS. 9. Ancient Egypt’s Hathor, Canaan’s Molock, and the Celtic Cernunnos are all ___ gods: HORNED. {Hey you Buzzhead bastards, what about Hebrew’s Ba’al Zevuv, modern day’s Beelzebub?} 10. ___ results from the lack of melanin: ALBINISM. 11. Born in Wales in 1862, Bartholomew Roberts was the most successful ___ of his day: PIRATE. 12. Kodo is a Japanese ___ known worldwide for its excellence: DRUM ENSEMBLE.

There were communications difficulties on GDs 1, 2 and 9. Otherwise most of these were pre-calls. However, I have it on good authority the BLZBUB, Lord of the Barflies, will demand compensation for his exclusion.

Scene 3) In the back of the room several TVs suddenly spring to life. They are showing the logo of something called Buzztime, and as questions begin to appear on the screens, there is a dull murmur of disembodied voices in the room. Spirit Girl, the girl medium, says she hears someone who calls himself DUFF yelling “question up!”
Just then an apparition wearing a jersey with the number ‘82’ enters the room, and Timid Boy gives a startled yelp.

Scatology Round

S1. THE WILD WEST v Presidential museums
This Dodge City saloon, notorious for its gunfights, burned down in 1885:
LONG BRANCH {Nobody knew this for sure, but most all of us grew up watching “Gunsmoke” on TV, so it seemed reasonable.}

S2. Greek mythology v ENGLISH KINGS
In what year did King George III ascend to the British throne? 1760. {DUFF, our Time Lord, landed our TARDIS on this one.}

S3. Insects v TV’S MAD MEN
What character does actress Elizabeth Moss play on ‘Mad Men’?
PEGGY OLSON. {There was a brief commercial interlude before the June Taylor dancers spelled this one out for the points.}

S4. ENGLISH KINGS v the wild west
All these statements about English King William I are true except: FORMER KING OF DENMARK. {DUFF and CHILL ruled on this query.}

S5. TV’s mad men v GREEK MYTHOLOGY
Pasiphae, Queen of Crete, is the mother of Ariadne, Phaedra, and this monster: MINOTAUR. {DUFF knew the Minotaur was a cretin. You know what I mean.}

S6. PRESIDENTIAL MUSEUMS v insects
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum is in ___, California. SIMI VALLEY. {Cali native LOONEY pre-called this one.}

That perfect round more than makes up for the first two.

Scene 4) The apparition has unnaturally golden hair and approaches the group. “Hi, my name is Louie, and I’ll be your server tonight,” he says. There’s a relieved twitter from the kids. Then Boss Man snidely asks, Dude, what’s up with the hair. Valley Girl punches the Boss in the arm and says, “Hey, chill B.M., Louie is stylin’, and I like it. For reals.” This is followed by Timid Boy asking Louie if he knows anything about the rumors of the dead McCarthy team.

Frightening Round

1. In March 2015, the U.S. Ambassador to ___ was the victim of a knife attack: SOUTH KOREA. {HEBEGB!} 2. ‘Bringing It All Back Home’ is a seminal 1965: BOB DYLAN ALBUM. {MEERA!} 3. Jose Eduardo Dos Santos is the controversial President of: ANGOLA. {BLZBUB, you schmuck } 4. The classic short con called ‘Find the Lady’ is commonly called: THREE-CARD MONTE. {After correctly answering this question CHILL volunteered to demonstrate the FULL MONTE.} 5. The Xingu River is a tributary of the ___ River. AMAZON. {BLZBUB!} 6. The hero of Hans Christian Andersen’s ‘The Tinder Box’ is a: POOR SOLDIER. {Poor choice } 7. The idiograms called emojis were invented by the: JAPANESE.

Well the team had brain farts on F 2 and 6, but did well enough to keep our hopes of a huge score alive.

Scene 5) Louie informs them that they used to frequent the place, but they were wiped out by a street gang that goes by the name of the Danny K’s. “Wow, was it horrible?” asks the girl medium, “because I can feel a chill in the room when you talked about them.” Sure enough, the Valley Girls shivers and says, “C’mon bro, that jus’ got real chill in here.” Boss Man chuckles and confidently says, “Aw, that’s just the air conditioner vent kicking on.” He looks less than confident however.

“Oh’” says Louie, “CHILL used to be one of their leaders, but he died trying to protect the team. In the end they all died.”

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. Wars fought between the U.S. Army and various ___ nations lasted from 1849 to 1886. APACHE. {CHILL’s arrow went straight to the heart of this one.}

P2. Which structure’s address is 600 Montgomery Street? TRANSAMERICA PYRAMID. {LOONEY pre-called this self-referential question about a pyramid in the Pyramid Round.}

P3. The choroid is the vascular layer of the human: EYE. {Sadly we couldn’t see our way clear to putting everyone on this answer.}

P4. It began as a delivery business in 1850 in Buffalo, New York: AMERICAN EXPRESS. {MINRVA made the earliest call on this one, seconded by BLZBUB and LOONEY.}

P5. Francis Blair, Amos Kendall and Roger Taney were all members of the:
KITCHEN CABINET. {CHILL called it and then speculated on how they all fit in there.}

This round finished with six boxes on 5 of 5 and all the rest on 4 of 5 correct. A clean final round would lock in a big score.

Scene 6) Just as Louie talks about CHILL, the whole group can hear an agonized cry that sounds like “Five Way!” followed by exclamations of disgust. The teens look up to see the TV screen displaying something called “Final Strategy.” As the question gives way to five possible answers, the murmurs increase in intensity. The five answers slowly drop away until just one is left on the screen…Loudly enough for all the kids in the room to hear, the DUFF voice yells, “FUCK.” The murmurs give way to the death groans of a McCarthy team dying in the night.
“Let’s get out of here,” says Timid Boy. “This place gives me the creeps.”

FINAL TRAGEDY
Tonight’s topic: LITERARY CHARACTERS {“so this is going to be a question about Truman Capote,” says BLZBUB}

Which literary character commits suicide?

1. Newland Archer
2. Henry Fleming
3. Jake Barnes
4. Hedda Gabler
5. Molly Bloom

The order of the eliminations was 3, 1, 5, and 2, leaving #4, HEDDA GABLER as the correct answer. Yeesh, the tension was palpable. Clearly no one had a clue on this one.

The final individual scores of the top six boxes totally scrambled the rankings going into the final round. These scores were 52557, 52004, 49222, 49039, 48693 and 48493. The team broke the 50K barrier by the slimmest of margins. The final team score was 50,001 points. This would be good enough for FOURTH place in the Mt/Pac zone of play. System-wide the team came in at FOURTEENTH place.

Kudos to the Mt/Pac top team, DANNY K’s, as they also finished First system-wide. The Ragged Rascals at the BWW in Albuquerque can honestly say we were eliminated from the McCarthy Cup (two weeks ago) by the very best.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 28 Apr 2015 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:32 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Missed a couple of floating softballs on the first two options you chose...

Which Presidential Museum recently opened in Springfield IL?...not bothering to type the answer, if anyone doesn't know it they are likely illiterate....

Which figure in Greek mythology was a Titan?.....pick Atlas from a bunch of Olympian gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:43 am 
U > 100 * 2

Enjoyed the "Mad Men" questions. Definitely in my wheel-house.
Was finally able to contribute to our team.
Husker Du,
RAY J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:19 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Question 3 - Insects: This creature from Madagascar is one of the world's most beautiful insects?

Sunset Moth

Question 4 - Old West: This stagecoach Robber was notorious for taunting authorities by leaving behind poems?

Black Bart

Question 6 - Insects: Leks are locations where various species of insects go to?

Find mates

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 pm 
Nonagenarian

The second Mad Men question was along the lines of "The advertising agency on the show is Sterling-___: COOPER"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BLZBUB wrote:

P2. Which structure’s address is 600 Montgomery Street? TRANSAMERICA PYRAMID. {LOONEY pre-called this self-referential question about a pyramid in the Pyramid Round.}

These kinds of regional/local questions are so incredibly lame.
They might as well ask you to pick out the phone number for the KFC down the street from my house.
So lazy...

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

spotes wrote:
BLZBUB wrote:

They might as well ask you to pick out the phone number for the KFC down the street from my house.
So lazy...

We answered this question correctly immediately. Montgomery Street is a term used to refer to the financial district of San Francisco ,like Wall Street in NY. I've never been to SF and the answer seemed obvious to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

CLIPPR wrote:
spotes wrote:
BLZBUB wrote:

So lazy...

We answered this question correctly immediately. Montgomery Street is a term used to refer to the financial district of San Francisco ,like Wall Street in NY. I've never been to SF and the answer seemed obvious to me.

All right, smarty pants... what is the phone number for the KFC down the street from my house? :P

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:01 pm 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

I used to know it , but not since they started doing extra crispy chicken. :P

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:53 am 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:

All right, smarty pants... what is the phone number for the KFC down the street from my house? :P

I don't know, but I am guessing it has a 317 area code. I guess the Showdown writer decided to throw you a bone during Lightning Round this week. :o