New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 11 Apr 2017 at BWW Gibson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 11 Apr 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ

Ah, the joy of Spring is upon us. The team was able to endure the climate on the patio of our BWW on Gibson Blvd with the roll-up doors flung open to the ambient air. Gone were the icicles of the overzealous air conditioner. The Ragged Rascals managed to round up 12 individuals for this night’s game, and to keep them free of jacket and blanket.

Another ritual of Spring, however new it may be, is the annual induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. BLZBUB is going to recognize the efforts of Mark D. Hess, aka GOD, in disseminating the acceptance speech by Rick Wakeman. Although normally aghast to a cut and paste approach to the Recap, BLZBUB includes this one for its hilarity and honesty.

Rick Wakeman gave what may be the greatest Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech ever last night.

Worn-up Round

1. The city of Incheon lies on the shores of the ___ Sea: YELLOW.
2. Studio 54 in New York City was a world famous nightclub and: DISCO.
3. ‘Bwana’ is a word you would most likely hear spoken in this part of the world: EAST AFRICA.
4. Tilapia is a name given to several species of: FISH.
5. To praise someone is to ___ them: EXALT.
6. Tomas de Torquemada is associated with this historical phenomenon: SPANISH INQUISITION.
7. Which of these terms is *not* Latin: EN MASSE.
8. Dixieland is a popular style of ___ music: JAZZ
9. The Navajo Nation is located mostly in this U.S. state: ARIZONA.
10. These nations are all correctly matched with their parliamentary body except: SWEDEN – BUNDESRAT.
{The team breezed through this round like an airy Jimmy Buffett song. 10 for 10.}

Rick Wakeman:
"I’m very happy for a couple of reasons to be inducted. One is the fact, obviously to be a part of Yes and getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the other is something I really probably shouldn’t tell you: Less than half a mile away from this very building is where I had my very first meaningful sexual experience. No, no, no. Please. It wasn’t very good — it never is when you’re on your own.

Ground-down Round

1. Dentists call any pointed part of a canine tooth or molar the ___ of the tooth: CUSP.
2. The controversial Corrib Field gas project is located off the coast of: IRELAND.
3. Arepa, pupusa, and gordita are all things to: EAT.
4. What nationality was famed musical composer Franz Joseph Hadyn: AUSTRIAN.
5. The Teapot Dome Scandal in the U.S. occurred in the early years of what decade? 1920’s.
6. Edward Judson, born in the early 1820’s, became famous using this pseudonym: NED BUNTLINE.
7. ‘The Boys from Syracuse’ is a Rodgers and Hart musical based on this Shakespeare play: THE COMEDY OF ERRORS.
8. Lavash is the most widely eaten ___ in countries like Armenia, Iran, and Turkey: BREAD.
9. Who sang Bob Dylan’s ‘A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall’ at the Nobel Prize ceremony in 2016? PATTI SMITH.
10. Born in Greece in 1906, Athanosios Karvelas went on to invent: SOFT ICE CREAM.
11. In zoology, the more common expression for ‘ectothermic’ is: COLD-BLOODED.
12. What is the name of Hester Prynne’s illegitimate child in ‘The Scarlet Letter’? PEARL.
{The team had its difficulties with this round again. There were third-clue saves on WU 2, 6, 7, and 10. Actually it would be more appropriate to say WU #10 was a missed answer, as BLBZUB was pumping for everybody to get in the hot tub, AIY!}

Rick Wakeman :
Anyway, as Steve [Howe] said a thank you to his wife, I will say a thank you to mine. Unfortunately, she’s not here tonight. When I left her this morning, I think she was in a coma actually. The sex was still the same, but the washing was piling up.

Scatology Round

S1. CHEMISTRY CLASS v Vincent van Gogh
Chemically ___ is called Calcium Hydroxide. SLAKED LIME. {DUFF & CROEM got it.}

S2. Mexican history v VOCABULARY QUIZ
Which word means ‘good death’? EUTHANASIA. {DUFF}

S3. STEPHEN KING v the Florida Keys
Stephen King’s ‘Salem’s Lot’ features what type of horrific creatures? VAMPIRES. {Again, DUFF}

S4. Vocabulary quiz v CHEMISTRY CLASS
In chemistry, flocculation is closest in meaning to: COAGULATION. {We needed the third clue on this one. Was it because the question was a vocabulary question masquerading as a chemistry question?}

S5. THE FLORIDA KEYS v Mexican history
In what year did a Category 5 hurricane wreak havoc in the Florida Keys? 1935/ {BLZBUB blew this one away.}

S6. VINCENT VAN GOGH v Stephen King
Many of Vincent van Gogh’s best works were painted in this city in the south of France: ARLES. {MEERA}
{The team got 5 of 6 without the need of clues, but S4 was a surprise.}

Rick Wakeman:
I’d like to thank, apart from all the guys in Yes that I work with, my father, who played a massive part in my career. Like my family, we were all in the entertainment business. We generally were very, very poor. My father was an Elvis impersonator. But there wasn’t much call for that in 1947. He taught me a lot. I remember he sat me down once, he said: “Son, don’t go to any of those really cheap, dirty, nasty, sleazy strip clubs because if you do, you’ll see something you shouldn’t.” So, of course I went. And I saw my dad.

Frightening Round

1. What is the title of the spinoff from the CBS TV series ‘The Good Wife’? THE GOOD FIGHT.
2. The first computer to be marketed as a ‘laptop’ was the ___ in 1983. GAVILAN SC. {Nope, never heard of it, but probably accurate for ‘marketed as a laptop.’}
3. ‘A Book of Common Prayer’ is a 1977 novel by: JOAN DIDION.
4. In cricket, what are the two crosspieces called that bowlers attempt to knock off? BAILS. {No one could bail us out on this one.}
5. Like ‘Titanic’ this film earned 14 Oscar nominations: LA LA LAND.
6. Which of these was hut down from 1967 to 1975? SUEZ CANAL. {ACK! A man, a plan, a canal…SUEZ?}
7. Pomegranate juice was the original main ingredient of this bar syrup: GRENADINE.
{Oh shit, oh dear, the team blew S2, S4, and S6 on this round.}

Rick Wakeman:
I’m glad that we’re actually out third [in the order on inductees] because as you get older, the old things like the prostate start acting up a bit. What I would like to say quite seriously is how important it is to have the odd examination, which I had indeed on Monday. You ladies, you don’t know, it’s really tough.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. The Popul Vuh is the corpus of mythic narratives of a ___ Kingdom.
Choices: Middle Eastern, Mesoamerican, Inuit, SE Asian, Central African
A: MESOAMERICAN. {Having no clue whatsoever, we scrambled our choices.}

P2. Which creature is a tracheal breather?
Choices: Chimpanzee, Parrot, Cheetah, Grasshopper, Koala
A: GRASSHOPPER. {Yay JAX. Nice call.}

P3. St. Gallen is one of 26:
Choices: Swiss Cantons, Catholic Dioceses, Caribbean Islands, Irish Counties, French Departments
A: SWISS CANTONS.

P4. Carrier, membrane, and vesicular are types of transport:
Choices: trains, molars, proteins, chlorophylls, asteroids
A: PROTEINS. {JAX transported us to the winning answer.}

P5. ‘Les Demoiselles D’Avignon’ is a famous:
Choices: Morisot Mobile, Colson Collage, Picasso Painting, Baudelaire Book, Stendahl Short Story
A: PICASSO PAINTING. {DUFF}

Rick Wakeman:
You have to get in the old fetal position, you hear the old plastic glove go off or the rubber glove. And then it’s like the gopher going on holiday inside. Whilst I was having my examination, the doctor said to me, “Mr. Wakeman, there’s no need to be embarrassed. It’s not unusual to get an erection with this kind of procedure.” I said, “I haven’t got an erection.” He said, “I know, but I have.”"

Guess after being ignored by the Hall for over twenty years Rick wasn't too impressed with the grandeur of the event.

FINAL TRAGEDY
Topic: SCIENTIFIC EFFECTS

This phenomenon involving magnetic fields was discovered in 1933:

1. Verdun Effect
2. Doppler Effect
3. Meissner Effect
4. Butterfly Effect
5. Coriolis Effect

The order of the eliminations was 2, 5, 4, and 1, leaving #3, MEISSNER EFFECT, as the correct answer. BLZBUB was anticipating the ’Hall Effect,’ but that wasn’t a choice. While he sorted, DUFF was busy running the eliminations and got to the correct answer just a breath ahead of Old Scratch.

The top individual scores for the night were 54174, 49906, 44649, 43024, 42999, and 42689.
The team average score was 46,240 points.
The team’s ranking was TWENTY-FOURTH Place.

The Fellowship scores yet another win with a score of 59076, Tailgate was second at 58657, and BWW Arlington, third at 57237 points.

Congrats to all team who competed honestly, without the aid of little silicon buddies.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 11 Apr 2017 at BWW Gibson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell... :roll:

S3 - THE FLORIDA KEYS - The ____ Highway allows visitors to cross the countless islets of the Florida Keys: OVERSEAS

S4 - VOCABULARY QUIZ - A person who designs or sells women's hats is known as a: MILLINER

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:17 pm 
Lotsa Posta

S5: MEXICAN HISTORY: For what are Vincente Guerrero, Pedro Negrete, and Miguel Barragan remembered? Politics, art, exploration, invention, science? I may have bitched up one of the three named individuals or an item in the drop down box. They were all early 19th C Presidents of Mexico.

S6: STEPHEN KING: Which was the first film adaptation of a Stephen King novel which he directed? Carrie was in the drop-down box, but the quiz writers were looking neither to Carrie, nor to Pet Cematary, nor to any other title I've ever heard of. They were looking for a film entitled, "Maximum Overdrive."

Now that I'm no longer sitting at a table of 3-4 intellectual snobs, but rather among 10-12 philistines, I'm grateful to KAYFAB, our Librarian in Residence, that he was able to save most of us 900 points on the Stephen King question. The alternate question (Van Gogh, Arles) was an easy grand.

Thanks to BLZBUB for acknowledging my site, the Tailgate, and best of luck to everyone advancing in the McCarthy Tournament. I'm pleased to have a front row seat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:54 am 
Lotsa Posta

Van Gogh: After his breakdown in 1889, Van Gogh spent time in the care of: DR GACHET

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:

S6: STEPHEN KING: Which was the first film adaptation of a Stephen King novel which he directed? Carrie was in the drop-down box, but the quiz writers were looking neither to Carrie, nor to Pet Cematary, nor to any other title I've ever heard of. They were looking for a film entitled, "Maximum Overdrive."

RABBIT had actually seen this movie and assured us all that it was one of the worst movies she has ever seen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:23 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

ANON wrote:
GONE D wrote:

RABBIT had actually seen this movie and assured us all that it was one of the worst movies she has ever seen.

Most of the actors in the movie "Maximum Overdrive" agree it was one of the worst films they'd ever performed in. They laid the blame directly on Mr. King, who they said gave them no useful direction, preferring instead to play with the trucks' choreography.

For those uninitiated into schlock cinema, the premise of the movie was that machines become intelligent enough to begin to murder people. From that point on, it is mostly a parody of the zombie movies of the 70's - 80's, with trucks, wheat harvesters, and lawn mowers standing in for the undead.

The movie was a staple of late-night movie programs like Joe Bob Briggs' 'At the Drive-in' and Rhonda Shears' 'Up All Night.'

Needless to say, this question would have been a slam-dunk for Old Scratch.

You bastards!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:01 pm 
Centenarian

King freely admitted it was an awful piece of shit years later. Being coked out of his mind probably had something to do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BLZBUB wrote:

For those uninitiated into schlock cinema, the premise of the movie was that machines become intelligent enough to begin to murder people. From that point on, it is mostly a parody of the zombie movies of the 70's - 80's, with trucks, wheat harvesters, and lawn mowers standing in for the undead.

I tend to think of it as more of a take on the "revenge of nature" horror films of the 70s.
The only thing it was missing was Bradford Dillman...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:54 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

spotes wrote:

I tend to think of it as more of a take on the "revenge of nature" horror films of the 70s.
The only thing it was missing was Bradford Dillman...

PEOPLE...Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

You bastards!