New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Red Vineyard
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Van Gogh is the subject of Final Showdown, and I'm sitting opposite an art history major (prior to her career as a writer of YA fantasy fiction) and we're shaking our heads. While politically liberal, we are cultural reactionaries. Brother Theo; briefly an evangelical; roomed with Gauguin in Arles; it was the right ear; Dr Gachet, the homoeopath; shot himself in the chest. CARO and I are running through this litany, and then we are asked to identify a painting which neither of us, in apology, would have had the curiosity to pursue.

ONE OF VAN GOGH'S MOST FAMOUS PAINTINGS IS THE RED _______? River, Barn, Church possibly. But no.

"The excesses of Modern Art are without limitation," I sighed, after we had flatlined.

"There are red grapes," Caroline persisted. Much to my annoyance, she had found the hook.

Post subject: Re: The Red Vineyard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:47 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

According to some site that I just looked up, the "red" in the Red Vineyard comes from the fact that the harvest is in the fall, and the leaves on the vines are turning red and orange. Red grapes aren't really red; they're purple.
Not surprising that the first-place team last night was a borg. Thanks, Buzzies!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:28 pm 
Lotsa Posta

https://www.vangogh.net/the-red-vineyard.jsp

Alas, I am not expert in art overall, but Van Gogh is practically an obsession, inherited from my mother. I have five prints on walls at home. The Red Vineyard is one of Van Gogh's most famous paintings from a historical/trivia sense, as it has long been purported to be the only one of his paintings sold in his lifetime. See Van Gogh: The Life by Naifeh and Smith.

Such a great moment it would have been to see that question come up, but I chose to while away my time watching the second best Dodger left-hander whose name starts with a K beat the White Sox 1-0.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:11 pm 
Lotsa Posta

It might have been a walkaway for Teasers, had MERKIN not chosen a more passive entertainment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 pm 
Lotsa Posta

So here is what I get for implicitly defending Buzztime by pointing out The Red Vineyard is a fair question. Czarge reported last night that he knew the answer immediately as the question in reverse (Who painted The Red Vineyard?) was asked in Countdown between 9 and 10 the night before.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:50 am 
Lotsa Posta

I hear you, MERKIN. That's bass-akwards in more ways than one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Merkin wrote:
Such a great moment it would have been to see that question come up, but I chose to while away my time watching the second best Dodger left-hander whose name starts with a K beat the White Sox 1-0.

Man, I wish Brickyard Kennedy was a lefty so I could throw his hat into the ring here...
Some could make an argument that you did see the best Dodger lefty that starts with a "K".
The problem is that, in the regular season, Kershaw pitches like Sandy Koufax
but in the post-season he pitches like Sandy Duncan.