New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 29 Aug 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:43 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 29 Aug 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ

BLZBUB has returned to his den with the rest of the Ragged Rascals. True to form, the BWW on Gibson in the hinterlands of this great nation has its environment set to ‘arctic’ to ward off the warm summer breezes of the desert. A group of twelve fellow triviots has assembled to welcome Him home.

Worn-up Round

1. A trite or stereotyped expression is known as a: CLICHÉ.
2. A TARDIS is a time machine in the science fiction world of: DR. WHO.
3. In which sport would you most likely see a haymaker: BOXING.
4. ‘Oh, Susanna’ is a famous 19th Century song written by: STEPHEN FOSTER.
5. Puget Sound is an inlet of the ___ and part of the Salish Sea. PACIFIC OCEAN.
6. Where would you most likely find an alien symbiote: IN A MARVEL COMIC.
7. At first a 4th Century Bishop, over the years he mutated into a ‘jolly, fat elf’: ST. NICK.
8. When the Erie Canal opened in 1825, it connected the cities of Albany and: BUFFALO.
9. Find the spice among the animals: GALANGAL.
10. This 1930 novel was penned by British writer W. Somerset Maugham: CAKES AND ALE.

The team blithely ran through the first nine, but came to a confused halt on WU #10.

Ground-down Round

1. The MaCavity Awards are given to ___ writers: MYSTERY.
2. The Battle of Lake Trasimene was a decisive victory for the forces of: HANNIBAL BARCA.
3. ‘A Drop in the Bucket’ is a phrase that traces its roots back to which literary work: THE BIBLE.
4. This planet’s largest moon is Triton: NEPTUNE.
5. James Cash Penny opened his first department store in ___ in 1902: WYOMING.
6. Which country is bordered by South Africa and Mozambique: SWAZILAND.
7. The ___ is the male voice that shares the same range of a female contralto: COUNTERTENOR.
8. By definition, someone described as rubescent would be: BLUSHING.
9. HPV is responsible for this undesirable growth: WART.
10. Incresingly popular, Nilgiri tea is grown here: SOUTHERN INDIA.
11. Born in New York City in 1922, Murray Kaufman went on to become a famous: DISK JOCKEY.
12. This term refers to a design feature in a system that mitigates damages: FAIL-SAFE.

The team did well on this round. However there were splits or third-clue saves on GD’s 1, 3, 5, 6, and 10.

Scatology Round

S1. A TRIP TO SPAIN v what is it?
Order these in a café to get a variety of typical Spanish mini-snacks: TAPAS. {MEERA}

S2. MEDICINE v poetry
Andropause is a controversial condition said to be caused by a drop in: TESTOSTERONE. {SCOOTR}

S3. MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS v NASCAR drivers
Drone reeds and chanters are parts of this musical instrument: BAGPIPE. {Greek chorus}

S4. Poetry v A TRIP TO SPAIN
Segovia, about 40 miles northwest of Madrid, is famous for its: ROMAN AQUEDUCT. {BALDRC}

S5. Nascar drivers v MEDICINE
The first successful artificial pacemaker implantation took place in this year: 1958. {split with 1968.}

S6. WHAT IS IT? v musical instruments
What the heck is Hepatica? GENUS OF PLANTS. {JAX}

The team went 5 for 6 for the full 1000 points, and narrowed down the choices on S5 to the two best candidates.

Frightening Round

1. What is the name of Chris Riccobono’s fashionable label of men’s shirts: UNTUCKIT
2. The Grey Cup is both the Championship Game and Trophy awarded in: CANADIAN FOOTBALL.
3. Bill Clinton, Douglas MacArthur, and Johnny Cash were all born in this U.S. state: ARKANSAS.
4. The U.N. Security Council imposed severe sanctions on ___ earlier this month: NORTH KOREA.
5. In what year was the Island of Alcatraz first used as a Federal Prison: 1934.
6. When Phillip Mountbatten married the soon-to-be Queen Elizabeth II in 1947, he became the: DUKE OF EDINBURGH.
7. What indie rock band from Canada hit #1 this summer with their new album, ‘Everything Now’? ARCADE FIRE.

Yowsa! The team went perfect on this round, a hallmark event.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. ‘Essay on the Origin of ___’ is a noted literary work by Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
Choices: Languages, Continents, Species, Worlds, Matrimony
A: LANGUAGES. {BLZBUB influenced half the team to go with this, while the rest maintained their splits.}

P2. First discovered in 1856, mauveine was the first synthetic organic chemical:
Choices: Antiseptic, Preservative, Bleaching Agent, Beverage, Dye
A: DYE. {SCOOTR got this.}

P3. The Fortune was a ship that followed this famous ship a year after it left England:
Choices: Mayflower, Lusitania, Mary Celeste, Titanic, Santa Maria
A: MAYFLOWER. {SCOOTR conducted the Greek Chorus on this one.}

P4. An icon of French Romanticism, ‘The Raft of the Medusa’ is a famous:
Choices: Poem, Drama, Ballet, Painting, Novel
A: PAINTING. {SCOOTR & DUFF in a dead heat.}

P5. This 17th Century figure became known as ‘The Father of Microscopic Anatomy’:
Choices: Bix Biederbecke, Marcello Malpighi, Amedeo Avogadro, William Wright, Geronimo Gimenez
A: MARCELLO MALPIGHI. {After a hilarious call for Bix Biederbecke, DUFF soon corrected himself to put us onto Malpighi.}

This round was a bit gut-wrenching, as few of the answers were “a lock” with the exception of P3 and P4.

FINAL TRAGEDY
Topic: WORLD GEOGRAPHY

The Strait of Messina connects the Tyrrhenian Sea and the ___ Sea.

1. Ionian
2. Ligurian
3. Black
4. Palermo
5. Aegean

The order of the eliminations was 5, 4, 3, and 2, leaving #1, IONIAN, as the correct answer.
This has to be the simplest Final Strategy question the team has EVER frakked up. There are no words for the self-loathing and butt-hurt feelings that followed this failure. The team went into this question with an opportunity to easily surpass 55,000 points for the game. It didn’t happen.

The top individual scores for the night were 19703, 19657, 19440, 19152, 18984, and 18903 points
The team average score was 19,306 points.
The team’s ranking was 109TH Place.

Congrats go to the winners, HOULIHANS of Westbury, NY with a creditable score of 60,039 points. Then came the hordes of Borgs and some other teams rarely seen in the Top Ten, rounded out by the decidedly non-Borg unit at the Tailgate in Minneapolis, MN.

A lot of the teams signed up for this Fall’s ‘Sandbagger Trophy’ struggled to make it into the Top 50. It would be nice it some of those responded by telling what questions knocked down their scores.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 29 Aug 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It was a similar story at BWW-Kent. We were on pace for a 57k finish, but the last question did us in. Congrats to Houlihans for the impressive score and win!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell... :|

S1 - WHAT IS IT? - An auger is a: DRILL SET

S3 - NASCAR DRIVERS - Who is driving the #11 FedEx Toyota in this year's Monster Energy Cup Series? DENNY HAMLIN

S4 - POETRY - "A Far Cry From Africa" is a 1962 poem by: DEREK WALCOTT

S5 - NASCAR DRIVERS - Kyle Busch got into a major spat with _____ after a 2017 NASCAR race in Las Vegas. JOEY LOGANO

S6 - MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS - The viola da gamba is a musical instrument that is played like a: CELLO

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Well, we at Cameron's were literally all over the map on that final... I don't really see what was all that "simple" about that question...

Looking futher to remind myself of what the q's were in the other rounds, I also thought Bix Beiderbecke as a choice was pretty funny (considering I play as BIX)

We had only two or three boxes get 12k on the Pyramid (I think). One (or maybe two) was mine. As far as "which question got us" goes in that round, I think it was one of those deals where splitting, etc. had different players miss different ones. Most got three or four correct.

Anyway, I ended up leading the team with 45k after going into Final with a shot at 54-55k. If the team had gotten it right with consensus, we probably could have cleared 50k but ended up settling for 37k.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:59 pm 
Himself Fodder

BLZBUB wrote:
A lot of the teams signed up for this Fall’s ‘Sandbagger Trophy’ struggled to make it into the Top 50. It would be nice it some of those responded by telling what questions knocked down their scores.

It was just me and HELIX playing at Stadium this week. Our mistakes - In the last three rounds we got half the boxes on Alcatraz in Lightning, Rousseau and Malpighi in Pyramid, and then just didn't know Final Strategy. It was the first three rounds that really hurt us. Flat out missed Marvel Comics, Galangal, and Cakes and Ale in Warm Up. (we did think that an alien symbiote could have been found in multiple choices listed. In the CD round we missed Macavity, Hannibal, JC Penney, and Rubescent. Crashed on both Poetry questions and Hepatica in Category.

We didn't stick around for the rankings, but since a couple of boxes got points on Final perhaps we beat BWW Gibson? :o :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:58 am 
Centenarian

Was 2 for 2 on the NASCAR questions.
All we needed was 1 more NASCAR question for the Final.

RAY J.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:37 am 
Lotsa Posta

Wikipedia's "List of Linguists" includes Jacob Grimm, but not Jean-Jacques Rousseau. On P1, I took MATRIMONY, knowing that Rousseau took some interest in the subject of marriage. BLZBUB's conjecture, LANGUAGE, was brilliant. I would be surprised if anyone playing this quiz might have known that answer cold unless equipped with an MA in French Lit. And even then...

On the Final Tragedy I pre-called LIGURIAN. ARKUAT, sitting next to me, calmly pointed out that Genoa is at the other end of the boot from Sicily. Still, I was stubborn enough to squander 10K.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:48 am 

I didn't think the Final Question was an easy question at all. At BWW-Bloomingdale we were having one of our best Showdown games in recent memory and were headed for a 56k+ finish if we nailed the Final Question. We got all 5 of the Pyramid Round questions on 6 boxes, and only missed the Alcatraz question in the Lightning Round.

On the Final Question, I quickly eliminated Black, Palermo, and Aegean as possible answers, leaving me with Ligurian and Ionian. I knew that the Tyrrhenian Sea was along the west coast of Italy, and that the Strait of Messina separated Italy from Sicily. Problem was I didn't know where the Ligurian Sea was. I associated the Ionian Sea with Greece, and pictured it as being further east.

I convinced everyone to go with Ligurian, and the wipe out order at our bar left us with Ligurian and Ionian as our last 2 choices.

Reb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:40 am 
Centenarian

reb6 wrote:
I didn't think the Final Question was an easy question at all. At BWW-Bloomingdale we were having one of our best Showdown games in recent memory and were headed for a 56k+ finish if we nailed the Final Question. We got all 5 of the Pyramid Round questions on 6 boxes, and only missed the Alcatraz question in the Lightning Round.

On the Final Question, I quickly eliminated Black, Palermo, and Aegean as possible answers, leaving me with Ligurian and Ionian. I knew that the Tyrrhenian Sea was along the west coast of Italy, and that the Strait of Messina separated Italy from Sicily. Problem was I didn't know where the Ligurian Sea was. I associated the Ionian Sea with Greece, and pictured it as being further east.

I convinced everyone to go with Ligurian, and the wipe out order at our bar left us with Ligurian and Ionian as our last 2 choices.

Reb

A Dick Trickle question would have been better.