New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 5 Dec 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 5 Dec 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ

Once again the team-in-exile has repaired to its alternate refuge, the hide-in-plain-site, the BWW on Montgomery Blvd for a new session of “Teach the Borg a Lesson.” BLZBUB was able to ascertain the continuing lack of Playmakers at our usual establishment and put out the word for the migration in time to assure full attendance. Tonight’s quest saw thirteen bodies in place at the start of the game.

Worn-up Round

1. The Keystone State is a nickname of: PENNSYLVANIA.
2. What do you load on a bandolier? AMMUNITION.
3. ‘Like a hot knife through butter’ is a phrase that describes something that is: EASY.
4. This mineral gets its name from its yellow-green color: OLIVINE.
5. It’s the capital and largest city of Papua New Guinea: PORT MORESBY.
6. if you depurate something, you ___ it. PURIFY. {DOH! We went with the antonym, ‘degrade.’}
7. The mudskipper is an amphibious: FISH.
8. In 1889, the Centennial of ___ was met with huge celebrations in America’s big cities. WASHINGTON’S INAUGURAL. {BRICK was the first to suggest this, but it didn’t get relayed to the opposite end of the table.}
9. Wellington, chukka, and cowboy are three types of: BOOTS.
10. Pepita is another word for: PUMPKIN SEED. {JAX was the only one who knew this, but this one did get broadcast to the entire group.}

This round drew ‘Greek chorus’ responses on # 1, 2 and 9. Duff got #3 and 5. BRICK got #4 and 8. JAX got #7 and 10. The Sixth question drew a questionable response, resulting in no points earned. Most of the team finished with 4500 points for this round.

Ground-down Round

1. In which country did women begin voting in 1893? NEW ZEALAND. {DUFF and BRICK get credit here.}
2. A pika looks like a combination of a ___ and a ___. BABBIT – GUINEA PIG {JAX}
3. Who would most likely execute a move called ‘Port de Bras’? BALLET DANCER. {MEERA}
4. Named after the original inhabitants, Klamath Falls is a city in this state: OREGON. {LOONEY}
5. After saffron, this is the world’s most expensive spice: VANILLA. {GRIMM reaped this one.}
6. HAWKS is the name of this country’s top law enforcement organization: SOUTH AFRICA. {5-way split}
7. This climbing vine is native to the Far East and the eastern United States: WISTERIA. {DUFF clung to this one early on.}
8. Lord & Taylor is the oldest ___ in the U.S. LUXURY DEPARTMENT STORE. {MEERA}
9. Laird Hamilton is the biggest name in this water sport: BIG WAVE SURFING. {MEERA, again.}
10. The Japura River is a major tributary of the ___ River. AMAZON. {Most of us got sent down the Irrawaddy without a paddle.}
11. Which English King was known as the ‘Hammer of the Scots’? EDWARD I. {DUFF and CHILL, (playing as BCNIAN)}
12. In diameter, Jupiter is about ___ times larger than the Earth. ELEVEN. {DUFF}

The team did really well on that round, going 10 for 12 correct, with only two Third-clue saves on #6 and 10.

Scatology Round

S1. Word origins v CURRENT EVENTS
Emmerson Mnangagwa recently became the President of: ZIMBABWE. {MEERA}

S2. 1960’S SONG LYRICS v scientists
‘I’ll buy you a diamond ring, my friend’ is a line from what song by the Beatles? CAN’T BUY ME LOVE. {DUFF literally led the chorus on this one.}

S3. NAME THAT CENTURY v world geography
In which century did Joan of Arc live? FIFTEENTH. {DUFF not only pre-called the answer, he pre-called the QUESTION!}

S4. Scientists v WORD ORIGINS
‘Nostalgia’ is a term that was coined by Johannes Hofer, a 17 th Century Swiss: MEDICAL SCHOLAR. {Third-clue save.}

S5. World geography v 1960’S SONG LYRICS
In Simon & Garfunkel’s ‘At the Zoo,’ who was skeptical of changes in their cages’? ORANGUTANS. {BCNIAN}

S6. Current events v NAME THAT CENTURY
Gustavus Aldolphus ruled as the King of Sweden during the ___Century. SEVENTEENTH. {History-boy, DUFF did not pre-call this question, just the answer.}

The team got 5 of 6 for the full points. The confusion on #4 was not relieved until the third clue bailed us out.

Frightening Round

1. ‘The Rooster Bar’ is a current bestseller by: JOHN GRISHAM. {DUFF}
2. Online retailer Brandless sells everyday essentials, each item for the same price of: THREE DOLLARS. {Brandless? Call us CLUELESS on this one, but five lucky guesses profited from their choice.}
3. The ribosome is where the human body makes: PROTEIN. {DUFF}
4. Which instrument was Jazz legend Art Blakey famous for playing? DRUMS. {GRIMM and BLZBUB}
5. In England, ___ Day is observed annually on November 5. GUY FAWKES. {BCNIAN}
6. Which letter identifies the main character in the 2017 movie ‘Blade Runner 2049’? K {Greek chorus, led by GRIMM.}
7. The 2017 Nobel Prize went to ICAN, an organization devoted to abolishing: NUCLEAR WEAPONS. {BLZBUB, saved the team’s score from destruction.}

The team did a great job on this round, but clearly, we have no internet shoppers scouring the net for discounted products. However, five boxes made it a perfect round of 7 for 7, while the rest stayed at 6 for 7 correct.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. ‘Ten Tragic Days,’ which took place in 1913, was a pivotal moment in the history of:
Choices: Luxembourg, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, Uruguay
A: MEXICO. {BRICK made the mental link to Pancho Villa, and got this answer. Five other players followed his lead for points.}

P2. Who was the first living scientist to have an element named after him?
Choices: Niels Bohr, Ernest Rutherford, Albert Einstein, Glenn Seaborg, Max Planck
A: GLENN SEABORG. {BRICK and DUFF had the most influential calls here.]

P3. This Samuel Richardson novel is subtitled ‘Or, The History of a Young Lady’:
Choices: Matilda, Katherine, Clarissa, Rebecca, Pamela
A: CLARISSA. {DUFF pre-called, ‘either Pamela or the other one’ which resulted in a split when both Pamela and Clarissa appeared on the list.}

P4. In days gone by, cotton that was used for extra padding or stuffing in clothes was called:
Choices: Grout, Bombast, Percale, Dearth, Nostrum
A: BOMBAST. {DUFF was much more confident on this question than the last, and he made the proper call with the appropriate verbal bombast.}

P5. Of his 41 numbered symphonies, only two are in the minor key:
Choices: Wagner, Liszt, Mozart, Schubert, Tintoretto
A: MOZART. {DUFF was the fastest of the Greek chorus to sing out on this one.}

The team managed to push three boxes through on 5 for 5 correct in this round. There were six boxes with 4 for 5 correct. The remainder were on 3 of 5.

FINAL TRAGEDY
Topic: MONARCHIES

Which current nation I a monarchy?

1. Chile
2. Bermuda
3. Haiti
4. Chad
5. Bahrain

The order of the eliminations was 4, 1, 3, and 2, leaving #5, BAHRAIN as the correct answer.
BRICK and BLZBUB, a natural diarchy, teamed up to rule the roost on this question.

The top individual scores for the night were 59355, 59230, 58986, 52452, 52027, and 51478 points. The rapidity at which the call on the Final question was issued ensured that all of the top nine boxes got a ton of points.

The team’s average score for this game was 55,588 points.

The Ragged Rascals’ systemwide ranking was FIRST PLACE, A#1, Top of the Heap, Head of the List, King of the World…yeah we were happy to see our first uncontested #1 of the year. Take that, you toad-sucking, Borg losers!

Congratulations to all of the wetware-only teams out there this week. Best among them were: Tilted Kilt, Scottsdale, AZ @ 522715; Old Barn, Portland, OR @ 51820; Teaser’s, Chicago @ 51711; Fellowship, BWW Kent OH @ 50833; Scooters, Las Vegas, NV @ 50408, and BWW Blacksburg, VA @ 48976.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 5 Dec 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. This lil old grump made his last Vegas visit for this year, though being lil if any help to the Scooter's team. :|

S1. WORD ORIGINS - Castigate, radiance and obscene are words that _____ is credited with bringing into usage. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE

S3. WORLD GEOGRAPHY - The Khyber Pass is a famous spot on the border of _____ and Pakistan. AFGHANISTAN

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 pm 
Lotsa Posta

liljol wrote:
This lil old grump made his last Vegas visit for this year, though being lil if any help to the Scooter's team.

LILJOL, you could not have possibly disappointed Scooter's worse than I skunked up the Tailgate. Let's look at the results, and draw down the one or two obvious conclusions.

LILJOL 49,411
MICE 35,661

First, there is no way on God's green earth that MICE should have the #1 ranked Showdown account, and I'm happy to be relieved of that burden. I did reclaim the #1 ranking in Brainbuster, but that was only because SAM took the night off.

Second, I scoff at multi-board players who split their answers. Well, the joke is on me. BLZBUB's Ragged Rascals split their answers with the discipline of the University of Michigan marching band - unlike the Fellowship, which splits like a termite colony, and could barely scrape up a 50K site score. Easy for me to criticize: after all, I did land a superb 35K.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:17 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Don't you mean The Best Damn Band in the Land from The Ohio State University?

INVENTORS: (paraphrase) Vint Cerf is one of the inventors of? THE INTERNET.

What a great category week. Didn't even vote for two World Geo and one CUrrent Events.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:58 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
Don't you mean The Best Damn Band in the Land from The Ohio State University?

I was, you know, kind of like, um, flaming the Ohioans. Ohio State having been drummed out of the football championship, I just thought I'd pile on. The Fellowship is built to take the punishment.

GONE D wrote:
...unlike the Fellowship, which splits like a termite colony...

So I figured, why stop now?

ANON has rescued me from my follies so often on these pages that it would be ungentlemanly not to acknowledge my error of attribution.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Speaking for myself, your post made me grin. I particularly liked the termite analogy; although our usual move is to call a split, and then all lemming off to the wrong answer at the slightest suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 am 
Lotsa Posta

Gone D,

Why did we win the Civil War if they're just going to let Alabama in over Ohio State? Of course, my family was still getting its ass kicked by the Tsar at the time.

By the way, how has Minnesota football done this century?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
By the way, how has Minnesota football done this century?

The connoisseur of low comedy has to pleased whenever the Gophers show up on his team's schedule. Just yesterday one of our former quarterbacks, Chris Streveler, who transferred to South Dakota State, was named first team FCS All-American. South Dakota State is in the same conference that produced Carson Wentz. So, unlike either of the lads who QB'ed the Gophers this year, Rhoda and Croft, you may hear Streveler's name again.