New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 12 Dec 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:35 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 12 Dec 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ

Once again, the Ragged Rascals made a boxless-enforced migration from the familiar confines of the BWW Gibson to the noisy, claustrophobic environs of the BWW on Montgomery Blvd. BLZBUB wondered when, and if, the box refurbishment at the Gibson location would be accomplished. The longer the team plays at the Montgomery location, the more it begins to feel comfortable in spite of its limitations.

The team was relatively well settled in by the time the Showdown quest began, But that was in spite of a major traffic disruption on Wyoming Blvd that nearly delayed some team members arrival to beyond the start of the game. We played with 14 people in the house, manning 16 machines including some on the cell-phone app.

Worn-up Round

1. The Gateway Arch is a 630-foot-high structure that overlooks the ___ River. MISSISSIPPI.
2. ‘Exploitation of Mexico by Spanish Conquistadors’ is a mural by: DIEGO RIVERA.
3. The meerkat is a small carnivore also known as the: SURICATE.
4. Which popular singer of the 1960’s was a huge success in both Latin and mainstream pop? VICKI CARR.
5. Which of these is a type of rock? GNEISS.
6. The title of this Shakespeare comedy alludes to the winter holiday season: TWELFTH NIGHT.
7. The hippogriff is a mythical creature with the head of an ___ and the body of a horse. EAGLE.
8. Hermosillo is to Sonora as ___ is to ___. AUSTIN – TEXAS.
9. Which U.S. political figure published a book this year titled ‘What Happened’? HILLARY CLINTON.
10. To swim in the Sea of Galilee, you’d need to take a trip to: ISRAEL.

The team blew this round away. The pre-calls predominated the answer set. It is with some pride the BLZBUB says the team went 10 for 10 correct.

Ground-down Round

1. From which animal do we get the word ‘vaccine’? COW.
2. The Jules Verne Trophy is given to these sportsmen: YACHTSMEN.
3. In what state do tourists flock to the Pocono Mountains? PENNSYLVANIA.
4. Porramatur is a traditional food dish in: ICELAND.
5. Amelia Bloomer gained fame as a fighter for women’s rights during the: 19TH CENTURY.
6. It is the capital and largest city of Tajikistan: DUSHANBE.
7. Contumacious is a synonym of: DISOBEDIENT.
8. Prince Prospero tried to avoid a deadly plague in a famous short story by: EDGAR ALLAN POE.
9. ‘Disjecta membra’ is a Latin term used to refer to: FRAGMENTS.
10. In the 19th Century, ‘The Lightning’ and ‘The Flying Cloud’ were ___ known for their speed. CLIPPER SHIPS.
11. What does the ‘R’ in the medical condition ‘SARS’ stand for? RESPIRATORY.
12. In ancient Scandinavia, a servant or slave would be called a: THRALL

This round was above-average in correct responses. The team scored 9 of 12 correct, with delayed calls or third-clue saves on #’s 4, 6, and 7.

Scatology Round

S1. U.S. cities v GENERAL SCIENCE
Diathermy is a process most commonly used in this field: MEDICINE. {DUFF and BLZBUB}

S2. 20TH CENTURY BOOKS v French cuisine
Snowball, a character in the classic novel ‘Animal Farm,’ is a: PIG. {HEBEGB and BRICK}

S3. WORLD HISTORY v 20th century singers
The Cisalpine Republic, which lasted from 1797 to 1802, had ___ as its capital city. MILAN. {CSICOP (aka CHILL) and DUFF}

S4. French cuisine v U.S. CITIES
Which city is located in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula area? MARQUETTE. {BRICK}

S5. 20TH CENTURY SINGERS v 20th century books
Born in Germany, this 1960’s singer and actress was an Andy Warhol superstar: NICO. {MEERA actually pre-called this.}

S6. General science v WORLD HISTORY
From 1223 to 1240, Kievan Russia was overrun by the: MONGOLS. {DUFF}

The team scored a perfect 6 for 6 on this round. That was a bit surprising given the difficulty of this round.

Frightening Round

1. The riverboat in Disneyland is named for what famed writer? MARK TWAIN.
2. Founded in 1977, Sea ___ is a leading marine wildlife conservation organization. SHEPHERD.
3. What was the name of puppeteer Wayland Flower’s main puppet? MADAME
4. The Human Development Index assesses countries by life expectancy, per capita income, and: EDUCATIONAL ACCESS.
5. What 1990 movie was the first feature film to be given an NC-17 rating by the MPAA? HENRY AND JUNE.
6. Russet Burbank and Purple Majesty are types of: POTATOES
7. ‘Carry Fire’ is the latest music release from this former Led Zeppelin front man: ROBERT PLANT.

The team missed #5 and had a 2-way split between ‘education access’ and ‘literacy rate’ on #4.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. Which obscure word would best describe an arrogantly insolent person?
Choices: Parturient, contumelious, hortatory, lentando, enstatite
A: CONTUMELIOUS. {OK, we don’t know if they did this intentionally, but the BUZZHEADS telegraphed the answer to this question by their choice of its next-of-kin, contumacious, back in Question 7 of the second round.}

P2. M.P. Shiel’s ‘The Purple Cloud’ is a classic:
Choices: Children’s tale, Surrealist painting, Science Fiction novel, Poem, Ballet
A: SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL. {This one prompted calls for a 5-way split.}

P3. Functional and numerical are two types of ___ in mathematics.
Choices: Knot Theory, Analysis, Pythagorean Triples, Game Theory, Coordinates
A: ANALYSIS. {As BLZBUB took a two-semester sequence in both of these as an undergraduate, he is once again proud to say he “doesn’t need to mail his diploma in math back to Nicholls State University on the grounds that it didn’t take.”}

P4. Which literary character makes a living as a Magipeel salesman?
Choices: Eugene Henderson, Kilgore Trout, Harry Angstrom, Roy Gallagher, Richard Schiller
A: HARRY ANGSTROM. {There was an almost-too-late call by MEERA on this question that proved to be trivia gold.}

P5. The Royal coat of Arms of the United Kingdom has phrases in Latin and:
Choices: German, Gaelic, Greek, Welsh, French
A: FRENCH. {Our moderator put us on a two-way split with Welsh and French as choices. It was only in retrospect that we realized that the Norman Conquest made the latter the best choice.}

This round conformed to the team’s historical average; there were three correct, one 2-way, and one 5-way split for answers.

BLZBUB was heard to comment, “That last question crushed our dreams, like those of a young girl expecting a pony for Christmas.”

FINAL TRAGEDY
Topic: MARSUPIALS

This marsupial animal would be found in the wilds of Australia:

1. Gerenuk
2. Okapi
3. Kiwi
4. Cuscus
5. Torgot

The order of the eliminations was 2, 3, 5, and 1, leaving #4, CUSCUS as the correct answer. The group was able to eliminate okapi and kiwi rapidly. The others were not so easy to dismiss. A Google search conducted while writing this recap revealed a ‘torgot’ to be a furry animal on the Star Trek fictional planet of Rura Pente. Well played, Buzzie. The gerenuk is a long-necked gazelle aka the giraffe gazelle, from the Horn of Africa. So finally, the cuscus is an Australian possum.

The top individual scores for the night were 48442, 44430, 39025, 35723, 31487, and 30064 points.

Practically nobody scored more than 30% of the points they wagered, and more than half the team took a negative score on this question. Of the few that succeeded:
The box coming into the Final in fifteenth place jumped to FIFTH;
the box at fourteenth place jumped to SIXTH place;
the box at ninth place jumped to SECOND;
the box at sixth jumped to FOURTH;
the box at fourth place jumped to FIRST;
and the box at first fell to THIRD.
Never before in the history of the team has this type of scrambling of the rankings happened.

The team’s average score for this game was 38,195 points.

The Ragged Rascals’ system-wide ranking was TWELFTH Place.

Congrats to Houlihan's of NY for the best score @47868 points. Next best was BWW Oklahoma City @ 46861. Third goes to Mad River of NYC, NY @44115. Those are all pretty low scores for a Showdown game, but they were considerably above that gained by the Ragged Rascals.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 12 Dec 2017 at BWW Gibson in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell... :roll:

S1 - U.S. CITIES - Escondido is a city of more than 100,000 people in: CALIFORNIA (heh, heh, heh) :lol:

S3 - 20TH CENTURY SINGERS - Which legendary singer was born in Philadelphia in 1915? BILLIE HOLIDAY

S6 - Where would you likely find a corm? PLANT

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 pm 
Lotsa Posta

S2: FRENCH CUISINE: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CROQUE MONSIEUR AND A CROQUE MADAME IS THAT A CROQUE MADAME IS SERVED WITH_____: A FRIED EGG

Two miles downstream from JOHNL/GOPHER's aerie above the St Croix River, there's a Belgian waffle joint called L'Etoile du Nord, which sometimes serves a killer version of this breakfast sandwich (ham, veloute, gruyere, braised greens), served not on bread, but instead on a savory waffle. The menu changes on a daily basis, and the owner of the place, a bicycling fanatic, will sometimes shut down his restaurant in favor of a race or rally. The service can be slow. Unfortunately L'Etoile du Nord shares a kind of harmonic resonance with its next-door neighbor, Bayport BBQ, which may be the only place in Minnesota to serve authentic Texas barbecue, with its distinctive vinegary tang, but the proprietor of Bayport BBQ is even more eccentric than his Belgian neighbor. Bayport BBQ locks up at 8 PM. Customers who insist to linger are dragged past the threshold and advised not to come back.

The St Croix River valley abounds with such eccentrics. It's former Congressional Representative, Michelle Bachmann, renounced her Swiss citizenship owing to Switzerland's socialized medical care, but while being paraded down Main Street in Stillwater, invited small children to shoot her with water pistols, which were distributed courtesy of Congresswoman Bachmann's superb talent for fundraising, coupled with her fiscal discipline.

Last edited by GONE D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:44 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Ah, Minnesota politics, which has given us Jesse Venture, AL Franken and other stars. I would continue to list them but, residing in Illinois, I have a feeling I would lose that battle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 pm 
Lotsa Posta

MERKIN names two political figures for whom I voted. While the rules of New Scaratings proscribe political content, what is established history can be reported as fact.

Like many Minnesotans, I think pro wrestlers are a lot like clowns: less entertaining than scary. I took a flyer on Jesse Ventura, who was running on the Reform Party ticket against two uninspired political professionals, because I trusted that both the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (DFL) and the Republican Party were frightened by him. In consequence of their fright, coupled with their view of him as an empty vessel, both parties would, in the event of his election, offer their best and brightest to his administration. And that is precisely what happened.

Governor Ventura received a yet better gift, the best a governor can receive: he sat from 1999-2003, and apart from a short-lived stock market panic over Y2K, his administration was blessed with four years of regional and national prosperity. He was fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and his administration is generally regarded by his electorate as a success. He went to China to promote Minnesota agriculture, with excellent results. He championed mass transit. He reduced vehicle registration taxes and provided a sales tax rebate every year he sat. His talented administrators, DFL and GOP, worked collaboratively, without press-worthy ideological contention.

I'm very confident, gazing back 15 years in my rear view mirror, that my vote for Ventura was not misplaced.

As for Franken: there is little to no historical perspective. In regard his resignation in the face of the current, tumultuous, and largely justifiable feminist outrage, the sad irony is that Franken has been a staunch advocate for women's rights. I first met Franken when he and I were about 15 years old. He (like his partner Tommy Davis) were shy, polite boys. If in 1967, you had asked me to look around my German Language class and rank everyone in it according to the likelihood that he or she would pursue a career in politics, that ethereal young man, whose face even then looked like Mr Toad with a hangover, seated off to the side and prone to stutter, would have ranked in the 20th percentile. Every turn in his career has come as a surprise. For those of us, such as MERKIN and me, who were of the opinion that Franken could not possibly segue from broad comedy to political distinction - our factual justification comes with an asterisk.

Al Franken could be the next Donald Trump.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:17 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I don't recall the other French Cuisine question, but MERKIN tossed in a curious tease. I spelled Quisine. He spelled Venture. MERKIN, I surrender. I made the correction, from Quisine to Cuisine, to my earlier post. You might want to leave "Venture" on this thread, as a lesson to us all regarding exactitude. Mea culpa.