New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 13 Feb 2018 at BWW in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 13 Feb 2018 at BWW in ABQ

The Ragged Rascals convened again within the warm and inviting nook at the back of the BWW on Montgomery. This alternate location has the advantage of having seating indoors which is a bit more comfortable than the patio at the BWW on Gibson. However, the noise levels are much higher, primarily due to the staff’s insistence on having the music played at ear-bleed inducing levels.

Once again, this game would be played on Mardi Gras night. As is our tradition, one of the players supplies beads and decorations for the table. This year LOONEY went the extra step to buy the first round for the team members. He also brought chocolate for the servers. JAX also pitched in with lemon mini-tarts which were quickly gobbled up. These efforts were all appreciated by the nine players (manning 14 boxes) who were able to make it to the venue for Showdown.

Worn-up Round

1. Which word would most likely be used to refer to a movie director? AUTEUR.
2. Cedar Breaks National Monument is located in this U.S. state: UTAH.
3. Germany’s Angelique Kerber is a prominent figure in this sport: TENNIS.
4. Ammonia is made with hydrogen and: NITROGEN.
5. Who, what, or where is ‘Cardi B’? HIP-HOP SINGER.
6. Which word comes from the Latin verb for ‘to burn’? INCENSE.
7. Cultured pearls were first produced in the early Twentieth Century in this country: JAPAN.
8. What sort of gadget is the Abilix Everest 5? EDUCATIONAL ROBOT. {Whiff!}
9. In what year did the United States officially implement the Good Neighbor Policy? 1933. {Another whiff}
10. Which board game has play promissory notes and stock certificates? LIFE.

The team scored eight for ten correct, and used a split to salvage points on WU8. The good neighbors apparently sabotaged our score on WU9.

Ground-down Round

1. Mount Kinabalu is the highest point on this island: BORNEO.
2. ‘Piers Plowman’ is a classic of English literature of this period: MEDIEVAL.
3. Who gave the famous ‘wind of change’ speech in South Africa in 1960? HAROLD MACMILLAN. {Rats, a third-clue save for some, and disappointment for the slow.}
4. What is the capital city of Guyana in South America? GEORGETOWN. {A good save by BRICK cut through the confusion.}
5. Marfan Syndrome is a genetic disorder of the ___ in humans. CONNECTIVE TISSUE.
6. ‘Panache’ is a word that was made popular by this 1897 play: CYRANO DE BERGERAC.
7. During what century did Alexander the Great live? 4TH CENTURY B.C.
8. ‘Arhat,’ or ‘Perfected One,’ is a status in this spiritual tradition: BUDDHISM.
9. In the world of science, what is an alkane? HYDROCARBON.
10. Parietal Art is also known as ___ art. CAVE.
11. ‘The Death of Artemio Cruz’ is a classic novel by this Mexican writer: CARLOS FUENTES.
12. In the Seventeen Century, parts of what are now Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania made up: NEW SWEDEN.

The team did pretty well on this round by scoring eight of 12 for the full score. There were a couple of 5-way splits (GD 10 and 11) and a 2-way split on GD 6. The stumper was GD 3, which needed the dreaded third-clue save.

Scatology Round

S1. Literary characters v U.S. RIVERS
Through which part of the United States does the Lehigh River flow? EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA. {SCICOP}

S2. NAME THAT YEAR v where do they live
In what year did Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels write the Communist Manifesto? 1848. {DUFF}

S3. China v ANCIENT ARCHITECTURE
In architecture, Achaemenid refers to a style developed in the: PERSIAN EMPIRE. {DUFF}

S4. WHERE DO THEY LIVE v Literary characters
Where do the Garifuna people live? CENTRAL AMERICA. {2-way split w/ S. Africa}

S5. Ancient architecture v NAME THAT YEAR
The projected overthrow of Egyptian President Nasser prompted the Suez Canal Crisis of: 1956. {BRICK and DUFF}

S6. U.S. RIVERS v China
What river forms part of the border between Illinois and Indiana? WABASH. {Very quick pre-call by BRICK}

This round also went well, with the team scoring perfectly on five of the six. The Garifuna can transport themselves to southern Africa for all we care.

Frightening Round

1. Born in Manhattan in 1955, he is an acclaimed novelist: CALEB CARR.
2. 28 degrees Fahrenheit is the approximate freezing point of: MARINE WATER.
3. Daniel-Day Lewis plays a dressmaker in this 2017 historical drama: PHANTOM THREAD.
4. In which country is a food spread called vegemite hugely popular? AUSTRALIA.
5. What instrument is Jazz musician Chris Botti famous for playing? TRUMPET.
6. Michael’s Stores, Inc. is a large ___ retail chain. ARTS AND CRAFTS.
7. The World Economic Forum was held last month in: DAVOS, SWITZERLAND.

The team flat out missed F2, because while we were discussing whether mercury solidified so near 32 degrees, no one considered the possibility that marine water did so.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. What literary character lives at 7 Eccles Street in Sandycove?
Choices: Sherlock Holmes, Wilkins Micawber, Leopold Bloom, Sydney Carton, Jacob Marley
A: LEOPOLD BLOOM. {HEBEGB, nice call.}

P2. Which two countries have the same colors in their national flag?
Choices: Madagascar – Nicaragua; San Marino – Monaco; Iceland – Chile; Finland – Egypt; Ukraine – Vietnam
A: ICELAND – CHILE. {While DUFF and many others looked expectantly at BLZBUB, a Sheldon Cooperesque expert on flags…BRICK supplied the answer first.}

P3. Hirundo Rustica is the scientific name for the:
Choices: Great white shark, Monarch butterfly, Barn swallow, Centipede, Spotted hyena
A: BARN SWALLOW. {JAX pre-called this answer, as is her privilege as an ornithologist.}

P4. A matador named Escamillo is a key character in this opera that debuted in 1875:
Choices: Rigoletto, Aida, Carmen, The Magic Flute, L’Orfeo
A: CARMEN. {DUFF and SCICOP, both deserving of credit}

P5. On March 18, 1857, Liberia annexed the Republic of:
Choices: Mogadishu, Manitoba, Mauritania, Malawi, Maryland
A: MARYLAND!!!
The factoid following the appearance of this answer was, “Maryland was first settled in 1834 by freed slaves from the U.S. state of Maryland,”
{We intended to use the 5-way split, but everyone was suckered by the choice of Mauritania.}

Half of the team finished this round with 4 for 5 correct. The rest of the team scored 3 for 5 correct. We suspect we will need a monster score on the Final Strategy to remain in contention for a Top Ten finish.

FINAL TRAGEDY
Topic: FLOWERING PLANTS

Both the sunflower and the ___ belong to the Aster family of plants.

1. Rhododendron
2. Dandelion
3. Lily of the Valley
4. Catalpa
5. Oleander

The order of the eliminations was 5, 1, 3, and 4, leaving #2, DANDELION as the correct answer. A few of the team got all the points wagered, but most got around 85% of the points wagered. While not quite as much as hoped for, this would result in scores better than the last two weeks’ games.

The top individual scores for the night were 48738, 46194, 46007, 44396, 44241, and 44200 points.

The team’s average score for this game was 45,639 points. That was nearly 1000 points greater than either of the scores from the last two weeks.

The Ragged Rascals’ systemwide ranking was TWELFTH Place. However once extracting the Borg teams from the computation, the Ragged Rascals finished Eighth in the wetware-only competition.

Omitting the Borg collectives, the wetware rankings were
1. Sonoma’s of Columbia, MD @ 53787
2. The Fellowship, BWW Kent, OH @ 50256
3. Houlihans of Westbury, NY @ 49564
4. Tailgate of Minneapolis, MN @ 48541
5. Tilted Kilt of Scottsdale, AZ @ 47279
6. Old Barn of Portland, OR @ 46831
7. Fab Ferns of St. Paul, MN @ 46181
8. The Ragged Rascals of BWW Montgomery, Abq, NM @45639
9. West Park Station of Cleveland, OH @ 45541, and
10. Danny K’s of Orange, CA @ 45529.

All teams are hereby alerted to the pending start of another fan-supported, wetware-only tournament. Get your registrations in!

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 13 Feb 2018 at BWW in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell... :|

S1 - LITERARY CHARACTERS - Which oddly named literary character was created by Thomas Pynchon? TYRONE SLOTHROP

S3 - CHINA - Sampans are Chinese: BOATS

S4 - LITERARY CHARACTERS - Captain Dana Holmes and First Sergeant Milt Warren are characters in this 1951 novel: FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

S6 - CHINA - 'The Golden Lotus' is a classic Chinese: NOVEL

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 am 
Lotsa Posta

The alternate questions for S2 and S5 were both a bit strange, in my estimation.

S2: WHERE DO THEY LIVE: WHERE WOULD YOU FIND THE GALLA PEOPLE? EAST AFRICA. And if you look them up on Wikipedia, you'll be redirected to Oromo. The Oromo largely regard the term "Galla" as an ethnic slur!

S5: ANCIENT ARCHITECTURE: WHAT STYLE OF ARCHITECTURE WAS REVIVED IN ENGLAND AND THE UNITED STATES IN THE 19TH CENTURY? ROMANESQUE. This style of architecture isn't ancient but medieval. Go figure.

liljol wrote:
S1 - LITERARY CHARACTERS - Which oddly named literary character was created by Thomas Pynchon? TYRONE SLOTHROP

Lt. Slothrop, the handsome American subaltern and fool of fate in "Gravity's Rainbow," is the victim of a triple Poisson Distribution. Most prominently, he keeps a wall map charting the location of his sexual conquests, as he meanders about wartime London, which map is identical to and predictive of the locations where German V2 rockets land.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 pm 
Lotsa Posta

@#$%^&*!

While we had no problem with the Lehigh River, I am heartbroken at having missed the chance at a Gravity's Rainbow question!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Like MERKIN, I was on the Lehigh question. My best advice to those of you who were with us, is to take the money and run.

The question persists: given any two Scattergories, how does your group decide which Category to take?

I have my preferences, but if I'm not in love with a Category I'll generally defer to BETH, who enjoys strong opinions and whose 49K average justifies those opinions.

Sometimes other players have strong opinions, where BETH and I don't, and we'll both defer. Sometimes the Categories are, "What Did Gone D Have For Lunch" vs. "Classical Music." When this happens I go into a state of panic. I don't remember what I had for lunch. Has anyone picked up on the Bohemian composer Jan Dussek? A contemporary of Mozart and a proto-Romantic, he's caused me to forget half the names of Rossini's operas. I'm more likely to win the lottery than to fetch a question regarding Dussek, but I'm equally confident that MERKIN shall sooner be gratified by names like Herbert Stencil, Pig Bodine, and Oedipa Maas.

So there I sit with the Classical Music question. Everyone around me is drumming their fingernails on the table, until a couple hundred points have ticked down, and I finally decide on some really obscure answer such as....Beethoven!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
The question persists: given any two Scattergories, how does your group decide which Category to take?

Well, hell. :roll: Since this lil old grump has been banging away by himself on Tuesdays since his former teammate moved back to The Rose City and The Old Barn, nowadays my choice of Scattergories is to try to pick the opposite of what those Ragged Rascals do. :lol: Sometimes this becomes impossible, such as whenever some other annoying player(s) choose(s) to flail away at BWW Sports Arena. :(

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:

This is one of the reasons I often refer to The Fellowship as a Benevolent Chaocracy. There is almost never a unanimous vote on these things. Apart from a few categories that are right up someone’s alley, it’s often a crapshoot what we’ll vote for. In fact, if it is close, a few wiseacres keep switching votes back and forth so it really is unpredictable what we’ll get.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 am 
Lotsa Posta

ANON wrote:
...a few wiseacres keep switching votes back and forth so it really is unpredictable...

When players do that at the Tailgate, we cut off their fingers.

liljol wrote:
...nowadays my choice of Scattergories is to try to pick the opposite of what those Ragged Rascals do...

That's hilarious! Now on my bucket list, sitting at the feet of LILJOL during a Scattergories Round while he parses his options.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
When players do that at the Tailgate, we cut off their fingers.

An elegant solution. Unfortunately, I'm thinking it might negatively impact our team morale. :)