New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The North-Western Police Agency
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:44 am 
Lotsa Posta

The absence of BLZBUB's recap won't stop me. If anyone reading this successfully paired the North-Western Police Agency with the Pinkerton Agency rather than the Canadian Mounties (a choice requested in the first Pyramid question), please let me know where you are. I need to know in what direction I should bow.

I'll definitely be bowing in the direction of BLUMAX if he is able to fill the breach, and post the quiz.

Post subject: Re: The North-Western Police Agency
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 am 

I don't know if the question was genius or evil. Considering that ARBEZ pre-called "the Mounties" and ARBEZ is rarely incorrect, I am leaning towards "it was an evil question".

I was hoping for the recap to recall the exact name presented in the question to confirm that Buzztime had it correct.

Wiki indicates that the prior name of RCMP was "Royal Northwest Mounted Police" and the prior name of Pinkerton was "The North-Western Police Agency."

Obviously, the question did not use the word "Mounted" - but I don't recall if they correctly used "Northwest" vs. "North-Western"

Either way - the Fellowship was crestfallen. As was ARBEZ, whom we forgave immediately.

ETA: Keep in mind, the Fellowship is full of historians... and we still couldn't make this distinction! I wonder if the our Canadians friends had any advantage in eliminating RCMP?

I'm not bad -- I'm just drawn that way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
The absence of BLZBUB's recap won't stop me. If anyone reading this successfully paired the North-Western Police Agency with the Pinkerton Agency rather than the Canadian Mounties (a choice requested in the first Pyramid question), please let me know where you are. I need to know in what direction I should bow.

I'll definitely be bowing in the direction of BLUMAX if he is able to fill the breach, and post the quiz.

Go look somewhere else. We bit hard on the RCMP: hook, line, and sinker.

That being said, the date should have been a giveaway that it wasn't them. The RCMP was formed after Canada got its independence, which a moment's thought would have told us was later than the 1850s prompt in the question. It's too bad we didn't have a decent U.S. History professor on the team last night...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:16 pm 
Lotsa Posta

ANON wrote:
GONE D wrote:

Go look somewhere else. We bit hard on the RCMP: hook, line, and sinker.

That being said, the date should have been a giveaway that it wasn't them. The RCMP was formed after Canada got its independence, which a moment's thought would have told us was later than the 1850s prompt in the question. It's too bad we didn't have a decent U.S. History professor on the team last night...

I couldn't remember whether the date was included or not. Thanks for including that bit of info.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 pm 
Lotsa Posta

GONE D,

You must bow to Clipper, who called Pinkerton. Did not stop me from wasting a board on RCMP, though.

------------------------------------

Buzztime recently horrible in various ways:

Fri, Feb 16: No national totals published for any premium games.
Mon, Feb 19: Rerun games for both premium games (Cinema, Pulse). Rerun games counted to monthly Buzztime box of crap tournaments.
Tue, Feb 20: Arguably two correct answers on final question. Editing must be fascist.
Fri Feb 23 and Tue Feb 27: Categories for final question and category round on 27th are previous weeks' categories. An annoyance on final questions but a factor on category round,

Buzztime, what does it take to do the job right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:54 am 
Lotsa Posta

ANON wrote:
We bit hard on the RCMP: hook, line, and sinker.

That being said, the date should have been a giveaway that it wasn't them. The RCMP was formed after Canada got its independence, which a moment's thought would have told us was later than the 1850s prompt in the question.

Why did Canada need to have been granted its independence before a group of Mounted Police, or any other group known as "Royal Canadian," could be formed?

The Texas Rangers, an imperfect analog, were formed in 1823. The Pony Express (Orphans Preferred) ran through contested territory which wouldn't achieve statehood for decades.

And what does a moment's thought buy these days? For MERKIN, it provided him the opportunity to hedge his bet on sound advice.

The North-Western Police Agency was formed in Chicago. CLIPPR may have been tapping a deep reserve of local history. Regardless, I bow to him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:07 am 
Babylon

I remember fondly the cases I cracked working alongside Dash (Dashiell Hammett). After that, I began a long flirtation with left wing causes, was blacklisted by the HUAC and then vanished into obscurity, using the handle CLIPPR. All power to the proletariat!

CLIPPR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
ANON wrote:
We bit hard on the RCMP: hook, line, and sinker.

That being said, the date should have been a giveaway that it wasn't them. The RCMP was formed after Canada got its independence, which a moment's thought would have told us was later than the 1850s prompt in the question.

Why did Canada need to have been granted its independence before a group of Mounted Police, or any other group known as "Royal Canadian," could be formed?

Good point: it is not necessarily true that one would have to precede the other. Alas, my shame comes from the fact that sometime way back in the last century I actually took a course in Canadian History, in which I learned that the Canadian Parliament created what became the RCMP in the wake of the Riel Rebellion, which I knew was around 1870 or so. As RABBIT pointed out, ARBEZ precalled this, which you can almost always take to the bank, so I made the rookie mistake of not giving it a "moment's thought."

As RABBIT also mentioned, The Fellowship is quick to forgive such transgressions, for which I am extremely grateful.

And besides, I guess we did OK, anyway, which salves the wound a bit. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:04 am 
Lotsa Posta

ANON wrote:
I guess we did OK...

Tough to argue with your first place site score.

Stoic wrote:
I remember fondly the cases I cracked working alongside Dash (Dashiell Hammett). After that, I began a long flirtation with left wing causes, was blacklisted by the HUAC and then vanished into obscurity, using the handle CLIPPR. All power to the proletariat!

This declaration rather deepens than resolves any mystery. But then, I would expect nothing less than mystery from any of MERKIN's associates.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:00 am 
Lotsa Posta

His mystery comes not from being my associate. It is I who sit at his knees as he regales us with stories of washing dishes in Paris with George Orwell and Ho Chi Minh, roadie-ing for Woody Guthrie and sneaking off to the beach with Lillian Hellman when Dash had been drinking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:07 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Anybody who's been reading this thread has to see what I mean.

I'm half-tempted to post Harry Mathews' short story, "The Novel as History." But I'm confident that GYPSY has a copy, by reason that I sent her one. You Chicagoans should bestir yourselves to track her down, and force her to divulge her secrets. Between pulling down a six figure income and attending law school, GYPSY has too little time on her hands, and seems to have fallen out of the fold.

(The remainder of this message censored due to facetious overreach.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:58 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

To RABBIT: The three of us at Moose McGuire's, Ottawa CANADA reflexively went with North-West Mounted Police as the intended name in the question (I remember a Final Question once where CARBON DIOXIDE was the intended right answer, and only CARBON MONOXIDE was a Choice - there's really a big difference to a chemist like me between CO2 which is 3% = 30,000 ppmv in exhaled air, and CO which is fatally toxic in small ppmv). However, on assuming that North-West Police Agency (or North-Western Police Agency - I can't remember the exact wording) was not a misprint, I split my two boards between Pinkerton and RCMP. Alas, on another Pyramid Round Question I split my two boards the other way, so ended up with only 4 out of 5 Right in the Pyramid Round on the two boards.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-West_Mounted_Police , the NWMP was formed in 1873, and we weren't sure if our first Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald might have called it something else in a previous draft proposal. The "Royal" was added in 1904, after the Boer War in South Africa (in which Canada as a former British colony participated). The RCMP was formed in 1920; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Can ... ted_Police .

Re the previous week's Final Question about French Guiana as a part of the EU, French Guiana is like the two small islands St. Pierre & Miquelon off the coast of eastern Quebec, considered part of France. We Canadians don't think that Bermuda is considered part of Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland), so this question was easier for us (although a wrong call of Switzerland slowed us down).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:41 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Thanks for joining SCAR's forum, REACH. I don't recall that Moose McGuire's has ever been represented on these pages. But your site is seriously competitive, and I, especially, am happy to hear from you.

You've done fine work to establish the process of arriving at a correct answer, in regard to the questions you mentioned. This factual sifting out is of keen interest to me, perhaps tangentially to everyone who follows the Showdown page, or the Six page, and I don't understand why so few are willing to investigate the process through which they adduced, or failed, a correct answer. RABBIT, of course, enjoys global admiration. I've been trying to land a place on her dance card for the last five years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:37 am 
Lotsa Posta

GONE D wrote:
Thanks for joining SCAR's forum, REACH. I don't recall that Moose McGuire's has ever been represented on these pages.

Now, I've long considered myself the official representative of Moose McGuire's on these boards, by virtue of the fact that I play there exactly once a year. More truthfully, the gang at Moose M's (and formerly the New Edinburgh Pub) graciously allow me to join them during my annual Skat pilgrimage to Canada. A nicer group you'll never find.

Roger: It's great to see you here! I look forward to seeing you and the gang in about seven weeks! And I hope I'm not overstepping your hospitality with this next comment...

Gone D: If you want to see more truly wonderful commentary, insight and background on Tuesday night questions, PM Roger/REACH to see if he'll add you to his E-mail list. It's fascinating and almost makes me feel like a member of their team instead of the slower American cousin whose visits they suffer each spring.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:10 am 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
...as he regales us with stories of washing dishes in Paris with George Orwell and Ho Chi Minh, roadie-ing for Woody Guthrie and sneaking off to the beach with Lillian Hellman...

Robinson was seated in front of the fire.

I knew Johns, he said. I met him in Detroit in '38. We were trapped together in a bar by the great blizzard of that winter. It was the only time he ever spoke to me of his past life - of his adventures as sailor and shepherd, of the extraordinary enterprises he had founded in various parts of the world, and of that encounter with Rouxinol you just mentioned, when he lay sick with fever in New Guinea. Rouxinol's devoted care of him, he told me, expressed the silent acknowledgement of a moral debt that the old man contracted twenty-odd years before: first alpinist to accost the Himalayas, he too had been succored in the helpless aftermath of a solitary fall by one he did not know - Borgmann, the Danish lepidopterist.

At the time he saved Rouxinol's life, Borgmann was travelling with old Jeremiah Keats, who is best remembered as having been confidential secretary to Kuromato, the original Japanese ambassador to St Petersburg. The fact has eclipsed his earlier and remarkably versatile career as diplomat and man of letters - Keats was, for instance, instrumental in persuading Ketchum, who until then, using the pen name Clarissa Rivers, had achieved only a mild notoriety as an author of sentimental novels, to leave England and come to Chile...

Since nobody remarked on Harry Mathews, I'll keep peeling that onion. Dig down a couple centuries and one arrives at...

...It was Mongiat who as a young man set down the description, so precious to musicologists, of the singing of the Dublin-born Ahearne, when the latter joined the suite of Philip of Burgundy. Ahearne left writings of his own, but they have nothing to do with music...

...The poem, as you will recall, is dedicated to Omo di Lucca, a Dantean scholar known to have spent nearly all his life in Florence, far from the haunts of Alaric - a fact which has bemused historians until recently, when it was discovered that Omo had accompanied Tomasso Portinari to Bruges as tutor to his eldest daughter Benedetta...

Mathews is long dead. The story was published in the collection, "Country Cooking and Other Stories," by Burning Deck Press of Providence RI in 1980. To the best of my knowledge, Burning Deck is still an ongoing enterprise, and the copyright hasn't been transferred.

AKBAR has had no better success drawing comment on his game of preference, SKAT. It's possible that he and I are dealing with an obstinate readership, enjoying a collective talent for selective deafness. But it's more likely that our audience consists chiefly of Yankee puritans, who believe, within the limitations of their faith, that they have too many vices already.

This cannot possibly be true.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:21 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Hi AKBAR! Thanks for the kind comments. We always enjoy your company when you're in Ottawa. I send BRAINBUSTER Q&A, and SHOWDOWN Q&A (thanx for the latter to BLZBUB at BWW Albuquerque), with Wikipedia or other links for the answers to team and former team members. These include Neil (LETHE) who plays at Whispers in Ottawa, and Alex (MADMAN, DUMLUK) & Dorothy (RADFEM) at Big Guys in Winnipeg whose knowledge and quick thinking I respect, as a retired teacher. I can add others on request to me at rtaguchi@rogers.com (one person per Site, please, as I'm up to about 28 on my email list already).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:58 am 

GONE D wrote:
RABBIT, of course, enjoys global admiration. I've been trying to land a place on her dance card for the last five years.

I must have mis-placed the card...

I appreciate the compliment...or jest, whichever it was or was meant to be.

All I am, I owe to the Fellowship and our Cat-Herder-in-Chief, ANON.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Scarcolyte

ANON's and RABBIT's generosity are representative of the rest of The Fellowship's, but I have yet to crawl out from under the table. It may have been an evil question, but I need to knock the rust out of my synapses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Evidently there were even more evil questions on March 6. Anybody there get the Nokia question?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 pm 
Lotsa Posta

No, we went with Thomasville Furniture, with confidence. I did research the company and BT was correct.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I have often referred to The Fellowship as a "benevolent chaocracy," an organizational strategy (or more accurately, a lack-of-organizational strategy) that makes Tuesdays entertaining and has granted us a degree of success over the years.

But what the chaocracy giveth, the chaocracy can also taketh away; and last night was a prime example of this. We called a split on the last question, and RABBIT helpfully went the extra mile in reminding people that that meant to stick to your number until it got wiped out. Yet everyone--including the Nokia folks--merged onto Thomasville when someone mentioned that it was the most likely answer. Sometimes being lemmings is how we roll; and if that is the price we pay for making Tuesdays as fun as they always are, I am surprisingly OK with it.

In the end, though, it really is my own fault: During tournaments, I almost always make sure before the pyramid round to remind everyone of how to divide more or less evenly when we have the choices narrowed down to two, and I just completely forgot to do it last night. Had it not been for that lapse, we would have done just terribly rather than catastrophically. Sometimes I wonder how well the team would do if I wasn't holding them back...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I feel your pain.

I had such a good explanation on Andorra (the President of France and the Spanish Bishop of Urghel and all that). Worthless and weak.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:20 pm 

I can't let ANON's self-flagellation go too far. The Fellowship heartily stands by him... even if he imagines some failure of leadership on Tues. March 6. (There was no failure of leadership... The Fellowship simply refused to be led!) Week in and week out, he is what keeps the team in competition shape!

Even though our strategy was blown up on the final - we had plenty of struggles before then. An oft-correct teammate pre-called Andorra. Doh! And we couldn't all find "Saccharin" in time, either.

Shucks.

There is a lot of tourney play, remaining though. And, I couldn't play with anyone better than ANON and The Fellowship.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
I had such a good explanation on Andorra (the President of France and the Spanish Bishop of Urghel and all that).

When Andorra turned out not to be the right answer, my hair stood on end. If I had two hairs, the other one would have stood up as well.

ARBEZ wrote:
I need to knock the rust out of my synapses.

So, ARBEZ, you failed to knock 'em dead in Charlotte? I had hoped to catch up with you down there, and with RHINO in the Raleigh-Durham research triangle. But I'm stuck in neutral. A series of setbacks have kept me tied down in Minnesota. And has anyone heard from RHINO? Such a wonderful player! He seems to have wandered off, but in what direction I can't conjecture. In any event, ARBEZ - welcome back! Always a pleasure to hear from you.

xtrain wrote:
Anybody there get the Nokia question?

Apparently none of the commentators on these pages were that far-sighted. It was a brilliant question, which only a handful of sites were able to collect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:11 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I mistakenly assumed the company was in America, so went with Thomasville Furniture, but when it was down to only Nokia and Samsung, it was obvious that Nokia was the right answer. For its population, Finland has an outstanding number of great hockey players (important for us Canadians), great inventors of the sauna and the biathlon (ski a bit, shoot a Russian, ski a bit more, shoot another Russian, etc.), a great composer (Sibelius), and lots and lots of trees for WOOD PRODUCTS. D'oh!!!