New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for Feb 27,2018
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:23 pm 
Centenarian

I haven't seen the summary, so here it is.

Showdown Feb 27, 2018
WARMUP
1. This game involves making figures out of string: CAT'S CRADLE
2. To make something sore by rubbing is to: CHAFE
3. This mountain's highest elevation is known as 'uhuru' in Swahili: KILIMANJARO
4. Captain ____ is the name of a narrator in Joseph Conrad's 'Lord Jim' and 'Heart of Darkness.' MARLOW
5. Which familiar English surname refers to a person who cuts wood for a living? SAWYER
6. A vehicle that combines features of an SUV with those of a passenger car is dubbed a: CROSSOVER
7. What separates the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan? STRAITS OF MACKINAC
8. Madame Morrible is a character in which musical play? WICKED
9. This confederacy of native American tribes is based in Oklahoma: CADDO
10. Rick Riordan has written a popular series for young readers featuring: OLYMPIAN GODS

COUNTDOWN
1. 'VX' is a lethal: NERVE AGENT
2. Which historical figure is associated with Pottawatomie Creek? JOHN BROWN
3. 'The First Four Years' and 'On the Way Home' are books by this writer born in Wisconsin: LAURA INGALLS WILDER
4. Scientists discovered in 2017 that the dwarf planet Haumea has: SATURN-LIKE RINGS
5. The late Wayne Cochran was known for his contribution to this music genre: BLUE-EYED SOUL
6. Which country of the Balkans is largest in area? ROMANIA
7. Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' is a sequence of four: VIOLIN SONATAS
8. A collection of items lumped together in a mass is called a: CONGRESS
9. Which African-American was a photojournalist, composer, novelist and filmmaker? GORDON PARKS
10. Green mantella and Panamanian golden are two striking varieties of: AMPHIBIANS
11. Edgar A. Poe's detective C. Auguste Dupin appears in 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' and: THE PURLOINED LETTER
12. The 1963 Clean ____ Act was designed to control pollution on a national scale. AIR

CATEGORY (Last week's categories shown on TV screen)
1. (HUMAN BONES over French Companies)
The incus is a tiny bone in the human: EAR
2. (SYNONYMS over 16th Century Battles)
Erratic and capricious are synonyms of: VAGARIOUS
3. (1990's MUSIC over Literature)
Which of these 1990's songs was a hit for the Irish alternative band the Cranberries? LINGER
4. (HUMAN BONES over Synonyms)
Which bone is found in your skull? OCCIPITAL
5. (16th CENTURY BATTLES over Literature)
The Battle of Flodden Field, fought in 1513 resulted in the death of this Scottish King: JAMES IV
6. (1990's MUSIC over French Companies)
'Sweet Surrender' is the title of a 1998 hit by Canadian singer: SARAH McLACHLAN

LIGHTNING
1. Open Society Foundations is an international grantmaking foundation founded by: GEORGE SOROS
2. It announced last month that it would buy tequila brand Patron for $5.1 billion: BACARDI
3. Baozi, jiaozi and congee are all types of: CHINESE DIM SUM
4. His name is Eric Holcomb and he is currently the: GOVERNOR OF INDIANA
5. Tenochtitlan was the capital of the ____ empire. AZTEC
6. What historical character does Gary Oldman play in the movie 'Darkest Hour'? WINSTON CHURCHILL
7. 2018 is the Chinese Year of the: DOG

PYRAMID
1. What organization was originally called the North-western Police Agency? PINKERTON
2. In mythology, Omphale was a Queen of Lydia who enslaved ____ for the period of a year. HERCULES
3. Born in England 1866, Ernest Starling introduced this word to the scientific world: HORMONE
4. It is the only living species of the Order Tubulidentata: AARDVARK
5. 'Malaeska, the Indian Wife of the White Hunter' is the title of the first: DIME NOVEL

FINAL SHOWDOWN
Category: (unknown)
Q: This is the term used to refer to the American ships arriving in Japan in the 19th century:
1. YELLOW SHIPS
2. WHITE SHIPS
3. BLACK SHIPS
4. ORANGE SHIPS
5. RED SHIPS

Takeaway order: 5, 1, 2, 4 (BLACK SHIPS)

BLUMAX

Last edited by blumax on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Showdwon Recap for Feb 27,2018
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 am 

blumax wrote:
3. (1990's MUSIC over Literature)
Which of these 1990's songs was a hit for the Irish alternative band the Cranberries? LINGER

5. (16th CENTURY BATTLES over Literature)
The Battle of Flodden Field, fought in 1513 resulted in the death of this Scottish King: JAMES IV

I am pretty sure The Fellowship took Literature on both of these questions, but I am struggling with the questions.

Based on ANON's copious notes... we had answers of The House of Spirits and Horace McCoy... both of which fit this category and don't appear on the rest of the recap. ARBEZ got the Allende novel and AUDREY the McCoy answer.

I'm not bad -- I'm just drawn that way.

Post subject: Re: Showdwon Recap for Feb 27,2018
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Thanks for establishing this thread, BLUMAX.

I've heard a whispered rumor - 'technical issues' - why BLZBUB hasn't been posting. But not a word here from the Devil himself. He and ANON have been the wellsprings of the best conversation on the Topic of Showdown for many years, and most of us can't get anything going without their initiating it.

Can you provide another recap for the March 6 Showdown? I whiffed on half of the last ten questions in that quiz, but apart from the Nokia question, I can't recall any of them. By the time I stumbled out of the Tailgate, I'd taken so many blows to the head that I actually tried to hand my car keys to ARKUAT, who drives a car about as often as he renews his driver's license. Here in Minnesota, that's once every four years.

I'd like to see those March 6th questions again. The Nokia question was a knockout, but Buzztime landed a couple other shots that many of us would like to re-examine.