New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 7 Aug 2018 at BWW Montgomery in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:17 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 7 Aug 2018 at BWW Montgomery in ABQ

BLZBUB is looking for a volunteer to take over the duties of writing and posting the Showdown Recaps. He has been posting to three sites for the last few years. These include ScaRatings, BadBart on Yahoo Groups, and BadBart on Facebook. And while this workload is not onerous, BLZBUB feels that seven years at the helm of the Chroniclers of Showdown is enough. The thought of another deadline has become a bile-inducing experience.

BLZBUB would like to thank his many predecessors for showing the way to a successful recap. Kudos to LEWSER, BLUMAX, GIRLIE, TSMACK, SEKA, LILJOL, GRIFF, and many others for undertaking the role of Chroniclers of Showdown before BLZBUB’s seven+ year run.

Anyone of the hundreds of followers on the Showdown blogs could do this job at least as well. In addition, you’d gain Trivia Immortality, or maybe just the undying enmity of some guys in New York. Either way, it could be a defining moment in your life, like it has been for Old Scratch.

BLZBUB will do the recap for 14 Aug 2018, but after that He is going on an extended vacation. Volunteers have, thus, TWO weeks to step forward.

Worn-out Round

1. The District of Colombia is bordered on the south by the ___ River. POTOMAC.
2. A kettlebell is designed to be used in: BODILY EXERCISE.
3. Which animal would you most likely find sticking to the side of a boat? QUAGGA MUSSEL.
4. Swords were once made in the Near East of this famous material: DAMASCUS STEEL.
5. A famous boxing match featuring ___ took place on July 4, 1910. JACK JOHNSON.
6. Boba, an increasingly popular tea-based drink, comes to us from: TAIWAN.
7. Which word would most likely mean ‘sweet-smelling’? REDOLENT.
8. He served over 21 years as Prime Minister of Canada: MACKENZIE KING.
9. Which professional would be most likely interested in a Kilanova? ASTRONOMER.
10. The Pink Palace was a mansion designed and owned by this celebrity who died in 1967: JAYNE MANSFIELD.

Ground-down Round

1. Tellus Mater was an ancient Roman goddess of the: EARTH.
2. The Moomba is an annual tradition in this city: MELBOURNE.
3. Piccolo, Vegeta, and Trunks are characters in the ___ series. DRAGON BALL.
4. Malus Pumila is the scientific name for the ___ tree. APPLE.
5. On a visit to France, what should one do with a quenelle? EAT IT.
6. Duff McKagan is the bass guitarist for this famous band formed in 1985: GUNS N’ ROSES.
7. Several species of the genus Lutjanus are marketed as: RED SNAPPER.
8. Who would likely suffer from Caisson Disease? SUBA DIVER.
9. Which restaurant chain was founded in London in 1971? HARD ROCK CAFÉ.
10. The Czech Republic’s short official name is: CZECHIA.
11. Which person played a role in the Watergate Scandal of the 1970’s? ROSE MARY WOODS.
12. Lord Peter Wimsey is a sleuth created by this writer: DOROTHY SAYERS.

The team finished the first two rounds with an average of 12500 points out of a possible 17000.

Scatology Round

S1. WORLD CAPITALS v big trees
This nation’s two capitals are Sucre and La Paz: BOLIVIA.

S2. Human anatomy v INVENTIONS
In the Western World, eyeglasses were invented in the late ___ Century. 13TH.

S3. Literary characters v FUN WITH FLAGS
The flag of South Korea has a large circle made of these two colors: RED AND BLUE.

S4. Inventions v WORLD CAPITALS
What city serves as the capital of Kenya? NAIROBI.

S5. FUN WITH FLAGS v human anatomy
This country’s flag consists of four white stars on a blue field: MICRONESIA.

S6. Big trees v LITERARY CHARACTERS
Julia Wolf, a secretary of Clyde Wynant, is murdered in this Dashiell Hammett tale: THE THIN MAN.

The team picked uo an additional 5200 points by average on this round.

Frightening Round

1. The Food Network’s ‘Chopped’ just added this celebrated food maven to its judges: MARTHA STEWART.
2. A weak and ineffective person would best be described as: FECKLESS.
3. She was a legendary pin-up girl of the 1950’s: BETTIE PAGE.
4. What is now called Universal Time was once called ___ Mean Time. GREENWICH.
5. Shoo-fly Pie, Apple Pandowdy, and Funnel Cake are gifts to U.S. cuisine from the: PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH.
6. This filmmaker based movies on ‘Macbeth’ and ‘Othello’: ORSON WELLES.
7. Razz is a form of this card game: STUD POKER.

The team picked up an average of 7500 points on this round.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. Norman Mailer’s ‘Armies of the Night’ deals with the 1967:
Choices: March on the Pentagon; Democratic Convention; Kennedy Assassination; Zodiac killings; Bay of Pigs Fiasco
A: MARCH ON THE PENTAGON.

P2. Fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing is the process for creating:
Choices: pearls, Lead, Tin, Vitreous Enamel, Pewter
A: VITREOUS ENAMEL

P3. Isoroku Yamamoto was the Japanese naval leader involved in both Pearl Harbor and: MIDWAY.
Choices: Midway, Iwo Jima, Dunkirk, Cape Spada, The Gulf of Tonkin
A: MIDWAY.

P4. At 464 square miles in area, the Tiburon Island is the largest island in:
Choices: Indonesia, Mexico, Chile, The Gambia, Norway
A: MEXICO.

P5. Vincent Van Gogh’s famous ‘Starry Night’ painting can be seen at a museum in:
Choices: Beijing, San Francisco, Edmonton, New York, Paris
A: NEW YORK.

The team got all five of these correct.

FINAL TRAGEDY
Topic: LIBRARIES

The Biblioteca Marciana, one of the oldest European libraries, is located in this city:

1. London
2. Venice
3. Madrid
4. Lisbon
5. Nice

The order of the eliminations was 5, 4, 1, and 3, leaving #2, VENICE, as the correct answer. The team went down hard by choosing Madrid as their answer.

The top individual scores for the night were in The Abyss.

The team’s average score for this game was DISMAL.

The Ragged Rascals’ systemwide ranking was 99 Place overall and irrelevant in the wetware-only competition.

Thanks again to my predecessors LEWSER, BLUMAX, GIRLIE, TSMACK, GRIFF, LILJOL, SEKA, and many other contributors, for making this a true community and preparing the way for my (remarkable) run of seven + years.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 7 Aug 2018 at BWW Montgomery in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell... :(

S2 - HUMAN ANATOMY - A medical student should know that the rib cage is also called the _____ cage. THORACIC

S4 - INVENTIONS - The sea truck, the ballbarrow and the dual cyclone vacuum cleaner were inventions of: JAMES DYSON

S6 - BIG TREES - Their leaves may reach 80 feet long and nine feet wide: RAFFIA PALM.

Whilst in the highly honored presence of special guest ANON from BWW-Kent at BWW Sports Arena, my tablet chose to freeze at S5, thus that other altergory question is not included. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:17 pm 
Centenarian

S1. World Capitals v BIG TREES
The world's oldest tree, a bristlecone pine can be found in which country: UNITED STATES

S5. Fun with flags v HUMAN ANATOMY
The cremaster muscle is found where: GROIN

We picked Literary Characters on Question 3 but I'll be damned if I can remember it now :oops:

Thanks for the last seven years of recaps! How time flies. I might be willing to start doing recaps again, as long as I can figure out a way to record the games when I'm on the road.

Griff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Category Round Q3: Lemuel is the Christian name of the protagonist of ________________. Answer: Gulliver's Travels. Please note that I have not recorded the Q&A on camcorder, but just took written notes during the game, so the exact wording has not been reproduced.

As I compile BRAINBUSTER Game and SHOWDOWN Game Q&A, with references (usually Wikipedia), and email them to my team members and friends, I may be able to submit future game summaries here on scaratings. I thank BLZBUB for his efforts and humorous references in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:47 pm 
Lotsa Posta

To REACH and GRIFF or anyone else who has the strength to lift ZLZBUB's sword and shield, it would be wonderful if you could carry this thread forward. It would be pointless to request that you do so, so poetically. Just the facts would be enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Although at our home bar, I usually use a standard tripod, and a small video camera. When I am on the road I use one of those portable gorilla tripods. They stand on any tabletop and can hold my mini video cameras. I use a small handheld that has a quarter-twenty screw hole on the bottom for mounting.

These cams are about 5 x 3 x 1.5 inches , record at 780 or 1040 pixels wide ( the lower resolutions are fine for this task.) They can be had for about $60 these days.

I find that using the portable tripod allows me to aim at the screen of the new tablets from as close as four to six inches from the screen. You should have a zoom function to fill the visual field of the recorder. Also, I find the can heats up and shuts down if I try to record the whole game. I record 2 Rounds, turn it off during the commercials, record 2 more, turn off, and then record the 2 final rounds and the rankings.

Once I get home, I pop the SD Card into my laptop, play the video in one window, and transcribe the game into a text window. After that it's just a cut and paste into the blog sites. I find that whole process takes about an hour and a half...more if I'm feeling creative with my commentary.

This process could go faster if you have a talk to text software package. I haven't tried that.

I hope these tips help.

Ken Z aka. BLZBUB.

You bastards!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:13 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Hi BLZBUB and others!
How do you cut and paste your text and then post here at scaratings.com? I am an old guy who used my first personal computer for two years before a former student told me that there is such a thing as a Right Click.

I do not wish to type anything more than once. As a chemistry teacher, I liked using WordPerfect for the subscripts and superscripts, and can convert the typed text to a pdf file. Is there any way I can Attach such a document or pdf file for a posting here?

I do not use Microsoft Word for documents I want to keep (unless that's what I'm using here) because of the subscript/superscript issue and the run-on sentence lengths. Please dumb down any response to specific key strokes (and don't use f-numbers or Control strokes which I don't understand).