New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 22nd Annual McCarthy Cup: Rules, Sign-ups, Results
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 am 
Barbara Feldon

Happy MLK Weekend to everyone! It is that time of year again, and I am pleased to announce that the 22nd annual McCarthy Cup Showdown tournament will begin on Tuesday, 10 March.

The rules for this year’s tournament are mostly unchanged from last year’s (and spelled out in full below). We will have a four-week qualification phase, in which each team's best three scores will be used for qualification for, and seeding in, the single-elimination phase. As with last year, in the single elimination phase, each week the highest remaining seed will play the lowest remaining seed, and so forth (think NFL playoffs) rather than having teams move through a pre-populated bracket. The one change is that, based on some of the discussion surrounding last year’s Sandbagger, I have tweaked “in the event of major Buzztime screw-up” clause to allow for the re-running of individual games or an entire week—as written previously, the options were throw out all the scores, or let all the scores stand.

After the Yahoo group changes, I don’t know if BadBart is even a thing anymore, but if it is, I’d appreciate one of you cross-posting this over there (or sending it to the mailing list, or whatever is appropriate)—and then also to pass along the names of any teams signing up over there. Similarly, feel free to forward this announcement to teams that may not be on any forum or mailing list but may nonetheless be interested in the tournament.

OFFICIAL RULES:

As has become customary for this tournament, it is for wetware teams only. This means no computers and no references of any kind are to be used during gameplay, either paper or electronic (or telecommunication from outside the location). Using the Buzztime Playmaker app on electronic devices such as iPhones, iPads, or Droid phones is fine, of course, as long as this is the only purpose for which the device is being used, and it is being used in and for the location of the team. Just to be clear, if a team violates this rule or engages in any form of cheating, it is a disqualifying offense.

All teams that abide by this primary rule are welcome to play, either by signing up on ScaRatings or BadBart (assuming someone is willing to pass that information along to me) or otherwise contacting TIMUR. All teams must register no later than MIDNIGHT (EDT) ON SUNDAY, MARCH 8. We reserve the right to personally invite additional qualified teams after the deadline to round out the field. Play will commence on March 10 and will continue weekly until the end of the tournament. If past years are any guide (and barring unforeseen circumstances), the probable ending date of the tournament will thus be APRIL 28.

There will be two phases to the tournament. First, a four-week qualifying phase will start on March 10 in which the total points for each team will be tracked. Each team will be able to drop one low score for the final cumulative total after the March 31 game. The top teams thus calculated will advance to the knockout phase of competition. This will give teams the ability to stay in the competition even if a glitch or system crash knocks them out one week (this seems to have happened to at least one team in almost every past tournament). In such cases, the week of the glitch/crash will serve as the dropped score for those teams.

The second phase will be a single elimination phase. The number of teams in the knockout round will depend on how many teams sign up (for example, if only 18 teams sign up, we would be more likely to have 8 rather than 16 in the final round). Seedings for the single-elimination will be determined by the cumulative score described above. In each round, the highest remaining seed will face the lowest remaining seed, second highest vs. second lowest, etc.

Should Buzztime have a system-wide repeat game (or other disruptive glitch affecting much or all of the system) during the qualifying phase of the tournament, that week’s scores will be ignored and the tournament will be extended by a week. Should such a glitch occur during the single-elimination phase, those games whose results were affected by the glitch shall be replayed; results of the games that were not affected by the glitch (if any) shall stand. Teams faced with a sudden close or loss of Buzztime at their home location may play at another location as long as they notify TIMUR in advance of the game and continue to follow contest rules in the new location. In general, we take no responsibility for and offer no solution nor redress for localized problems (i.e. power outages, lack of players due to illness or vacation, etc.) with one possible exception: If a team in the semi-finals or finals suffers a documentable and unavoidable mid-game crash, its victorious opponent may invite that team to a rematch, but is under no obligation to do so.

Typically, in this part of the announcement, I respond participants that is the winner's responsibility is to host the next McCarthy Cup—the 23rd such—next year. Given where the company’s been headed, it may turn out that the winner’s responsibility is to find a permanent home for the Cup—which, I feel obligated to remind you, is perhaps the ugliest awarded in any field of human endeavor.

Normally, the last line of these tournament announcements is the host’s statement that they will be participating. However, at this time, with all of the most convenient sites to our team members having given up Buzztime, we are not sure where, or even if, we will be playing. However, I can nonetheless announce the first entrant: based on communications on Scaratings last month, Tailgator’s of Fargo, ND will participate.

Post subject: Re: 22nd Annual McCarthy Cup: Rules, Sign-ups, Results
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:42 am 
Lotsa Posta

Teasers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The Fellowship at the Red Fox Grille, Cuyahoga Falls, OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:05 pm 
Himself Fodder

Stadium Cafe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:04 pm 
Scarcolyte

The Kzoo Krew, now back at BWW-Kalamazoo after a short absence.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:25 am 
Lotsa Posta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:34 pm 

KC's Time Out Lounge, Evansville Indiana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:13 am 

Reb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:10 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I want to call to your attention the fact that the second week of the tournament will fall on March 17, sometimes known as Amateur Night. It is highly likely that our bar, Mad River, and perhaps others will become a danger zone where patrons may slip and fall on floors covered with green vomit. At Mad River in particular it may be difficult to impossible to get the bar manager to turn the televisions to Buzztime games, and those of us who play on teams will have to resort to sign signals to communicate answers (correct or otherwise) to fellow team members. That is, if the bar hasn't been turned over to raucous partiers. Could you please make a ruling that games played on this night will not count toward the tournament results?
XT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

our team would never play on st. patrick's day as that is a family day for all of us. the notion of even trying to play at west park station on that day would be preposterous. i will say that i did not expect any accommodation because of that. i just assumed that if we decide to play, that game will be our dropped score.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:35 pm 
The Meaning of Life

I shared the post in the BadBart FB group. Big Guys and Scooters are both in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:25 pm 
Lotsa Posta

One vote:

I have previously lobbied on this site to not hold national tournaments on days of significant religious observance. While I do not believe St. Patrick's Day qualifies on that score per se, it is a day of significant distraction. I remember one year playing in a tournament on St. Pat's with a live bag-piper adjacent.

Therefore, while I would play if it is decided to hold the tournament on Mar 17, in order to promote an even playing field, I would support if Mar 17 is made a bye week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:09 pm 
Barbara Feldon

Two things:

First, regarding the 17th, I have no problem injecting a bye that week. If anyone strongly objects to that, please either let me know by PM, or post here.

Second, here is the current list of participating teams:

Big Guys (Winnipeg, MB)
Danny K's (Orange, CA)
The Fellowship (Red Fox Grille, Cuyahoga Falls, OH)
KC's Time Out (Evansville, IN)
K'zoo Krew (BWW, Kalamazoo, MI)
Lumpy's (Oklahoma City, OK)
Old Barn (Portland, OR)
Scooter's (Las Vegas, NV)
Stadium Café (Addison, TX)
Tailgator's (Fargo, ND)
Teasers (Chicago, IL)
Time Out West (Hanover Park, IL)

Thanks to those who have been intermediaries with BadBart, as a third of our entrants have joined via that route.

I'll yet you know for certain what's going on with 17 March this weekend, after folks have had time to weigh in.

--Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:44 pm 
Pythagorus' First

Tailgator's Fargo happy with March 17th bye. Irish's Band will be playing at Dempsey's that night.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:28 am 
Barbara Feldon

No new entrants since Tuesday, so the list of participants I posted then is still valid.

Since no one has weighed in with any opposition to skipping St. Patrick's Day, we will do so. So the new schedule is:

10, 24, 31 March, 7 April: Qualifying rounds

14, 21, 28 April, (probably) 5 May: Single-elimination phase.

I do realize that 5 May is another day on which circumstances may not be ideal for NTN play. But since we'll be down to just two teams by then, I will just consult with those teams at that time and see if there is a need to postpone the final a week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Mad River will play.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:52 pm 
Centenarian

The Ragged Rascals will play from Turquoise Trail in Albuquerque.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Whispers Pub, Ottawa ON would like to play.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:03 pm 
Barbara Feldon

We are now about three weeks out from the first day of the tournament. It looks like the former BWW-Crystal City team will be playing at Kilroy's in Springfield, VA. That may change, but I am certain enough that we will be playing somewhere that I will sign us up for the tournament. So the field is now:

Big Guys (Winnipeg, MB)
Danny K's (Orange, CA)
Kilroy's (Springfield, VA)
Mad River (New York, NY)
Old Barn (Portland, OR)
Ragged Rascals (Turquoise Trail, Albuquerque, NM)
Tailgator's (Fargo, ND)
Teasers (Chicago, IL)
Whispers (Ottawa, ON)

Plenty of time for more to join the fun--remember, sign-up deadline is midnight on 8 March.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:36 pm 
Himself Fodder

The long time Stadium Cafe crew is probably moving. The last two weeks we have played at Austin Ave. in Plano. Will confirm a location by tournament time.

The move isn't set in stone yet, but pretty much all team members would like to move to a non-smoking location. Will be sad if it happens as we have been playing SD at Stadium since July 2000. QB1 starting in 1997.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:48 am 
The Meaning of Life

Per BadBart, Wallaby’s is in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:59 pm 
Barbara Feldon

The addition of Wallaby's brings us up to 17 teams with about a week and a half left to sign up. Frankly, I'm not anticipating a huge rush before the end; assuming we end up at 23 or lower (as seems likely), we will go with 12 teams advancing to the single elims (1st round bye for the top 4). If we get to 24 or higher, we will revert to 16 qualifiers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:31 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

you can include rivals in middleburg heights ohio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:22 pm 
First Palindrome

Reduced to barely enough players to fully qualify for inclusion,the former team from Humperdinks, who went out of business, Buffalo Wild Wings, Lemmon Avenue, which dumped buzztime, we still soldier on at DaBoyz Sports Bar of Garland, Texas, bloody but unbowed. Accordingly in keeping with the spirit of the Alamo, we will defend our site to the last human, confident that God will protect the Right. We wish to announce that DaBoyz has 20 new tablets, prepared for the coming struggle should wanderers happen by on Tuesday nights.

Include us, as we are, in your tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:09 pm 
Barbara Feldon

Thanks in no small part to ANON's assistance in reaching to some teams who are apparently not on any of the various NTN-related fora, we are now up to 23 teams (one short of expanding to a 16-team playoff) with a week or so to go to sign up. The current roster:

Big Guys (Winnipeg, MB)
Broadway Bar and Grill (Nepean, ON)
Cedar Cottage (Vancouver, BC)
Da Boyz Sports Bar (Garland, TX)
Danny K's (Orange, CA)
Kilroy's (Springfield, VA)
Mad River (New York, NY)
Old Barn (Portland, OR)
Pockets (Tallahassee, FL)
Primetime Sports Grill (Tampa, FL)
Ragged Rascals (Turquoise Trail, Albuquerque, NM)
Rivals (Middleburg Hts, OH)
Tailgator's (Fargo, ND)
Teasers (Chicago, IL)
Wallaby's (Lenexa, KS)
Whispers (Ottawa, ON)

If you think you have signed up and you are not listed, please contact me. Also, as there are teams playing who are not on ScaRatings or BadBart, I will be sending out e-mail updates to those teams mirroring what I post here, beginning with a post next Monday with the final list of competing teams. If any of you would like to receive those, let me know--if you don't want them filling up your e-mail, that's fine too.