New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blacksburg VA back from the dead
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Blacksburg VA has a new site after losing their BWW and other bars years ago.

The Beast of Blacksburg made good use of the holiday night yesterday and made off into the dark of night with the win. Two Canuk bars that weren't celebrating anything tried to fight off the Beast but couldn't. Red Fox had plenty of players but seemed to blow the final?

Congrats to Viking and Blue Jay, glad to see Blacksburg VA back in the game. Long overdue. If you 2 are on here, please tell us how you got this Beast bar to buy the full BT package as most new places are just getting the streaming w/o tablets? Any info on the Beast?

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

Post subject: Re: Blacksburg VA back from the dead
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Blacksburg VA has a new site after losing their BWW and other bars years ago.

The Beast of Blacksburg made good use of the holiday night yesterday and made off into the dark of night with the win. Two Canuk bars that weren't celebrating anything tried to fight off the Beast but couldn't. Red Fox had plenty of players but seemed to blow the final?

Congrats to Viking and Blue Jay, glad to see Blacksburg VA back in the game. Long overdue. If you 2 are on here, please tell us how you got this Beast bar to buy the full BT package as most new places are just getting the streaming w/o tablets? Any info on the Beast?

Great news about Blacksburg, and about our old friend VIKING being back among the players--here's hoping the site sticks, and the Blacksburg team can be the kind of presence it used to be in The-Before-Times.

I was not at Red Fox last night, but from what I understand they indeed went all-in for the wrong choice on the last question. Ouch. It wouldn't be the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last, either, so I hope they don't feel too bad about it. Looking at the location page for last night, I'm guessing they probably had about a dozen actual players, with a few folks multi-boxing.

Again, Congrats to The Beast of Blacksburg, and may we see a lot more of them on the boards now!

Last edited by ANON on Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:00 am 
Like to the lark at break of day arising

Beast has been a pizza delivery place for years. They just expanded into vacant storefront next door to have seating and a bar.

I've known the owner for years, his wife even played on my dart team before they were married, prob 15 years ago.

I didn't get a chance to talk to Lee much on Tuesday, he was cooking, and then even serving us by the end.

I was wondering if Buzztime is running some intro discount, because a place in Christiansburg called Lost in Taste apparently picked it up as well. I haven't been there but they seem to be a retro themed sports bar.

I'm glad people remember us after all this time, and I hope these places can keep Buzztime. I have a bad feeling if they are on a discount now, they won't be able to afford the regular price.

I'll pass the message along to BLUEJAY, I doubt he checks this site.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The VIKING wrote:
Beast has been a pizza delivery place for years. They just expanded into vacant storefront next door to have seating and a bar.

I've known the owner for years, his wife even played on my dart team before they were married, prob 15 years ago.

I didn't get a chance to talk to Lee much on Tuesday, he was cooking, and then even serving us by the end.

I was wondering if Buzztime is running some intro discount, because a place in Christiansburg called Lost in Taste apparently picked it up as well. I haven't been there but they seem to be a retro themed sports bar.

I'm glad people remember us after all this time, and I hope these places can keep Buzztime. I have a bad feeling if they are on a discount now, they won't be able to afford the regular price.

I'll pass the message along to BLUEJAY, I doubt he checks this site.

Bill

Thanks for the info on The Beast, Bill, a good pizza place is great. So it seems that you did have to ask your friend Lee to get Buzztime? Is that how they started the process?

I don’t know about discounts but I do believe they are waiving install fees basically making it free till the 1st bill comes in. I hope your group can play more than just Tues. it will take several days a week or a few different groups to support The Beast. The normal price is about $400 a month. Let us know if you hear a price that Lee pays.

Hope you can get enough players in there throughout the week. Maybe recruit some college kids to play, esp on the days you aren’t there. It takes a big marketing and recruiting effort in order to keep BT in a bar.

In case you don’t know there is a cheaper version of BT with no tablets, phn app only but that doesn’t support Showdown or Spotlight. It’s only $100 a month. So stay away from the streaming no box bars if you are trying to play Showdown. If you see a New bar pop up and the listing online has the old blue box icon they are streaming app, no tablets. Also if they list Buzztime Mini game they are streaming not the full elite tablet package.

Good luck and please follow up on here with whatever Lee can tell you.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:09 pm 
Like to the lark at break of day arising

Honestly, I didn't ask him about getting Buzztime, I had given up on that several years ago. Being in the restaurant biz, it just seems hard to make Buzztime seem reasonable. If Buzztime 'only' costs $400 a month, you'd want a $1200/month bump in business to make it worthwhile, and our Showdown group playing once a week doesn't spend $300 a night. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the game generated that much other use.

And that's assuming a fee of $400 a month, when I was asking bars about it in the past the number was in the 800-1200 range, or even higher.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The VIKING wrote:
Honestly, I didn't ask him about getting Buzztime, I had given up on that several years ago. Being in the restaurant biz, it just seems hard to make Buzztime seem reasonable. If Buzztime 'only' costs $400 a month, you'd want a $1200/month bump in business to make it worthwhile, and our Showdown group playing once a week doesn't spend $300 a night. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the game generated that much other use.

And that's assuming a fee of $400 a month, when I was asking bars about it in the past the number was in the 800-1200 range, or even higher.

From what I understand, BT's plan is to get all the games on the app and then phase out boxes entirely, which will bring the overhead (and costs to locations) down considerably. Here's hoping they are able to do this sooner rather than later.