New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown 07/20/2010
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Congrats to Jilly's for top site. Margin of victory was 6,809..quite impressive.

Based solely on the HOF I'm guessing that the final question was not a complete lay-up or there was something a little bit difficult than usual in the game.

My homeys made it to 88th despite not posting a score over 45,000

Additional comments appreciated

Post subject: Re: Showdown 07/20/2010
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:29 am 
Centenarian

stevej84 wrote:
Congrats to Jilly's for top site. Margin of victory was 6,809..quite impressive.

Based solely on the HOF I'm guessing that the final question was not a complete lay-up or there was something a little bit difficult than usual in the game.

My homeys made it to 88th despite not posting a score over 45,000

Additional comments appreciated

Final question was not too tough. I'm guessing a lot of teams had trouble with a pyramid round question about one Erwin Piscator and what theatrical concept he pioneered. We didn't get a single box on that one, so I was a mite surprised when we showed up in 9th place. Perhaps theatre history is a collective black spot among the those of the Showdown persuasion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:20 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Final Q category was Men In Science

"What scientist released a paper titled 'On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" in 1905" or words to that effect

We know this paper better as the Theory of Special Relativity, thus the correct answer was Albert Einstein. The 1905 date was the tip-off for me, but I wasn't sure enough to convince more than two other players

As Dingo mentioned, the theatre question was the game-breaker for us at Melrose. Nobody in the place was on the correct answer - even the soloists

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:25 pm 
Special

Erwin Piscator was a tough one. We all guessed (incorrectly), and after the answer came up, our resident theatre expert said he had no idea what "epic theatre" was. Oh, well. On the final question, we found the 1905 date to be the tipoff as well, so that was no problem. What was a problem was when I forgot that Warren Harding was president during the Teapot Dome scandal. D'oh!

Still, we managed 32nd place, and we were pretty happy that we did that well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:30 pm 
Himself Fodder

One of our players who is a voracious reader always brings a book to read if there is down time. Here is the book he brought last night. http://www.amazon.com/Teapot-Dome-Scand ... 455&sr=1-1

Needless to say we laughed our asses off when we saw the question. However I suppose our 7th place score will now be debunked because we used references. :(

We crashed on the Piscator question as well, only got 1 of 15 boards on it.

BO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm 
Lotsa Posta

We aced the 'Lightning' round, but crashed and burned on the 'Pyramid ' round. The final was a no-brainer for me as I precalled it. So, again, we weren't to be seen. The well-endowed waitress didn't help our scores either. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 am 
Centenarian

stevej84 wrote:

Thanks. Based on the winning margin I figured the "EPIC THEATER" was the separator. GAIJIN "guessed" Epic Theater and 8 boxes went with it. Honestly, I'll take one of his guesses over most folks' "guaranteeds" any day of the week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:56 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
One of our players who is a voracious reader always brings a book to read if there is down time. BO

I'm guessin' you're referring to JIMMYJ. I haven't played with you guys for almost 12 years now but I recall he always had at least one book with him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:12 pm 
Centenarian

I missed this game (excessive hospitalization), but I noticed that Warmup 7 jerked my ever-growing chain. 7. Etymologically, the term 'avuncular' refers to this family member: uncle. I don't think this is correct; it refers to the grandfather. The etymological root of 'avuncular' is a Latin word meaning 'grandfatherly'.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Pink Pig wrote:
Etymologically, the term 'avuncular' refers to this family member: uncle. I don't think this is correct; it refers to the grandfather. The etymological root of 'avuncular' is a Latin word meaning 'grandfatherly'.

Doesn't the Latin siffix "-ula" make it a diminutive, meaning, "little grandfather," rather than, "grandfather?" I was under the impression that "avunculus" actually meant "uncle" and "avus" was "grandfather."
Pink Pig wrote:
I missed this game (excessive hospitalization)
Hope all is well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 am 
Centenarian

Pink Pig wrote:
I missed this game (excessive hospitalization), but I noticed that Warmup 7 jerked my ever-growing chain. 7. Etymologically, the term 'avuncular' refers to this family member: uncle. I don't think this is correct; it refers to the grandfather. The etymological root of 'avuncular' is a Latin word meaning 'grandfatherly'.

Here's what Chambers' Dictionary says:

avuncular adj relating to or like an uncle, especially in being kind and caring.
ETYMOLOGY: 19c: from Latin avunculus maternal uncle, from avus grandfather

Honors even, I would say.