New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: showdown 7 September 2010
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:14 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Note that on the individual scoreboard, PKPIG, who is dead, beat BO, who was avowedly using one or more computers. I would love to hear what Bill would say about that, but I feel it accurately reflects the relative ability of the two players.
XTrain

Post subject: Re: showdown 7 September 2010
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:37 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Yea, Stadium Cafe! Although you haven't been "using" for a long time, you haven't lost your touch. You kicked all the other cheaters' asses! Yo!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:18 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

It was a good game..the Pyramid Round was very difficult. I got only one correct :roll: ..and no one at our bar had more than 3.

I got a chuckle at one of the Roger Clemens answer choices.

The Military History final question could have been better written. If you are going to ask a question about the Gallic campaigns, you could have at least had more than one Roman as a possible answer. Didn't need to borg to get the correct answer - just a little common sense

I'm certain that PNKPIG would have cringed at the wording of the bacteria question as well (was that BB or SD?)

I'll try to post alternative category answers once blumax has posted the game summary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
Yea, Stadium Cafe! Although you haven't been "using" for a long time, you haven't lost your touch. You kicked all the other cheaters' asses! Yo!

You may have missed the announcement on the other thread, but Stadium is "using" for the month of September (the duration of the regional tournaments), with plans to go back to all-wetware in October.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:23 pm 
Special

A good, tough, challenging game last night. I don't think anybody on our team got more than three Pyramid questions. We also had a chuckle at one of the Roger Clemens possibilities--Steve, were you laughing at the "Big Train" choice too?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:12 pm 
Himself Fodder

Spoons wrote:
A good, tough, challenging game last night. I don't think anybody on our team got more than three Pyramid questions. We also had a chuckle at one of the Roger Clemens possibilities--Steve, were you laughing at the "Big Train" choice too?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but the other choices were all nicknames of HOF (or soon to be) pitchers.

BO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:16 pm 
Octogenarian

-BO- wrote:
Spoons wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but the other choices were all nicknames of HOF (or soon to be) pitchers.

BO

Wasn't choice 4 "Bonehead"? I thought that was what Steve was referencing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:54 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

scannon wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Spoons wrote:

BO

Wasn't choice 4 "Bonehead"? I thought that was what Steve was referencing.

Yes, choice 4 was "Bonehead". We all cracked up especially since one of us precalled it as an answer.

Although Walter Johnson was known as "Big Train", this is Lionel Conacher's nickname. Conacher was Canada's outstanding athlete of the half-century and football player of the half-century (1900-1950). Spoons was probably referring to him..as that would make the reference to the wrong sport

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

xtrain wrote:
Note that on the individual scoreboard, PKPIG, who is dead, beat BO, who was avowedly using one or more computers. I would love to hear what Bill would say about that, but I feel it accurately reflects the relative ability of the two players.
XTrain

I dunno. I have to give props to anyone who uses more than one computer at a time to look up answers. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:06 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Dante wrote:
xtrain wrote:
XTrain

I dunno. I have to give props to anyone who uses more than one computer at a time to look up answers. :)

Not if you've got half a dozen people at the table using them.
XT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:07 pm 
Special

stevej84 wrote:
Although Walter Johnson was known as "Big Train", this is Lionel Conacher's nickname. Conacher was Canada's outstanding athlete of the half-century and football player of the half-century (1900-1950). Spoons was probably referring to him..as that would make the reference to the wrong sport
That was exactly why we were laughing. We precalled Clemens' nickname, so that was no problem. But "Big Train," being both Conacher and someone who played another sport, made us laugh. Only after our laugh did we see that there was also "Bonehead," which got another laugh, but not as big a one. I will say that, being Canadians faced with "Big Train" as a choice and Conacher thus springing to mind, Walter Johnson was completely off our radar.

Let's just hope Buzztime never asks "Which athlete was known as the Big Train?" and then offers both Walter Johnson and Lionel Conacher as choices. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:40 pm 
Special

stevej84 wrote:

I'm certain that PNKPIG would have cringed at the wording of the bacteria question as well (was that BB or SD?)

What was wrong with the wording?