New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Showdown 1-11-11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thanks for the props but we're still collectively holding our breathes while awaiting the official results to be posted later this a.m.. Some very good sites seeme to be missing from the rankings...

Our token Canadian, SHAKES, stridently precalled Quebec for the finale. We didn't see anything too esoteric in the Pyramid and were surprised to see the scores were so low. We did, however, screw up the 5th & 6th questions in Lightning and thought that doomed our chances.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 am 
King or Queen Postalot

It seemed to me there were a lot more Canadian locations in the top 50 than usual. Rembrandts was 12th overall, but 6th in Canuckistan. There are 20 Canadian sites in the top 51, including Québec's lone location (#50 on the boards last night was Melrose, but they're 51 this morning, so somebody reported late)

I'm kinda surprised Mad River was 49th/50th. Don't New Yorkers and the Northeast get some of their power imported from Québec Hydro installations, like the one on Manicouagan Reservoir?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:25 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

pengwn wrote:
It seemed to me there were a lot more Canadian locations in the top 50 than usual. Rembrandts was 12th overall, but 6th in Canuckistan. There are 20 Canadian sites in the top 51, including Québec's lone location (#50 on the boards last night was Melrose, but they're 51 this morning, so somebody reported late)

I'm kinda surprised Mad River was 49th/50th. Don't New Yorkers and the Northeast get some of their power imported from Québec Hydro installations, like the one on Manicouagan Reservoir?

You mean we're using Canadian electricity? No wonder they couldn't plow the streets right. The favorite final question category for Showdown lately seems to be: "Obscure Places Somewhere in the World."
XT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
You mean we're using Canadian electricity? No wonder they couldn't plow the streets right. The favorite final question category for Showdown lately seems to be: "Obscure Places Somewhere in the World."
XT

I didn't know they made a Hybrid snowplow or even a full electric snowplow. I always thought snowplows were powered by gasoline, but I guess New Yorkers are so much more advanced... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:50 am 
Centenarian

That was a tough game, with stumpers distributed throughout. In Warmup round we usually score 4500-5000 points: this week our top boxes were on 3500. Lightning round struck us twice at the end, with questions about an AARP award and, in a related matter, about what TV personality is going to be 90 this year (entertainment trivia thinly disguised as culture by use of the word "theater"). Those were killers.

We precalled Canada on the final strategy. not because we had ever heard of the crater but on purely linguistic grounds. It was reassuring to know also that eastern Canada has some of the oldest exposed rock on the planet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

There's something basically unfair about asking questions on obscure geographical locations that fall within the US and Canada where NTN is played. For some places, it's going to be a local question.

Whenever they toss in a Florida question, it's something like "In which state will you find Everglades?" So easy we hardly are given any home-field advantage at all.

But they threw us a big bone several years ago in one of the late rounds asking "The Pinellas Peninsula abuts which body of water on its east coast?" Nobody here had ever heard the county of St. Petersburg and Clearwater referred to as the "Pinellas Peninsula" before but we sure knew our way around Tampa Bay while our far-flung NTN Showdown competitors were doing a lot of head-scratching.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:32 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Dingo wrote:
. . . It was reassuring to know also that eastern Canada has some of the oldest exposed rock on the planet.

But enough about Margaret Atwood's complexion :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Let me add my congrats to In The Zone, which has been on a real roll of late. Also congrats to Eric and his team in Ironton for upholding the honor of Ohio in miserable weather conditions and for getting their highest finish ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:46 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

That's right, Eric. The Tampa team that once played at Bilmar Station is the same team that nows is In The Zone on Tuesdays. I looked back at our archives and see that eight of the players that night were also part of last night's winning team. It's only the fourth #1 in our teams' long history but that night in 2004 was our first.

The attendance log from that 2004 game shows we had an unusually high total of 25 players on the team that night including 10 guests of which three came from Arkansas, two from Colorado, two from Georiga and one fron Nova Scotia. Whew! Last night we had a small team of only 17 and no visitors.

Tampa is a touristy area this time of year and we get a lot of visiting Showdowners that stop in to see what we're all about. Hope to see you here some Tuedsday. I'll buy your first drink.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

lewser wrote:
xtrain wrote:
XT

I didn't know they made a Hybrid snowplow or even a full electric snowplow. I always thought snowplows were powered by gasoline, but I guess New Yorkers are so much more advanced... :mrgreen:

You just need a very long cord.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am curious what the final question was. I know there is usually a recap of the prior Showdown, but I haven't seen that posted yet.

Due to the weather forecasts, I opted to stay home.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:40 pm 
Centenarian

Was a tough day at the Mill, tanked the final after most of us aced Pyramid:( :x