New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: McCarthy Cup 2011 Standings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

[/quote]6 Fellowship vs. 11 In The Zone
I'm going to pick Damon's to win [/quote]

Thanks, Earl, for giving us the coveted underdog role in the tourney. How's ya do with your brackets in the NCAA tourney? You pick Butler? VCU??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

CTCOOK wrote:
Due to overwhelming public demand (okay, two guys), here's Uncle Earl's Peerless Prognostications for Week 1:

Thanks for the detailed bracketology, CTCOOK. It was a well-reasoned, cogent analysis with a deft sensitivity to potential counterarguments.

So who wrote it for you? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:47 pm 
Centenarian

ANON wrote:
So who wrote it for you?

I've got a Spring Break vacation in Florida coming up, with another visit to Savannah, GA enroute. In anticipation of touring "America's Most Haunted City," of course I hired a ghost.
[Insert rim shot here.]
(Dante -- why don't you have an icon that sticks out its . . . uh . . . tongue? Yeah, tongue.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:15 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

CTCOOK wrote:
xtrain wrote:
I wish CT Cook would do his prediction thing again. Quite entertaining last week.
XT

Be careful what you wish for Tom.

Due to overwhelming public demand (okay, two guys), here's Uncle Earl's Peerless Prognostications for Week 1:
Old business:
Round Dead Parrot Week 3 predictions aced seven of the 10 league champions, and 14 of 16 Brackets' teams.
I completely missed BWW-Ironton and perhaps skewed sentimental about long-time powerhouse Grand Slam. Perhaps I can be forgiven for picking Jilly's in what turned out to be the tightest league in the tournament. The memory of Sullivan's domination in Maryland is hard for this old-timer to overlook. Choosing Blue Goose over BWW-Ironton was a close call, but the Cincinnati team has a better long-term record.
As for naming Fletcher's over the top Brackets seed New Edinburgh, please remember that I have to play with them each week and they know where I'm ticklish.
For the most part, these picks were common sense, based on the stats from the previous two weeks, with the exceptions mentioned above.
As for the Week 1 in The Brackets, well, let's see . . .

4 Mad River vs. 13 Blue Goose
Here's another split loyalty situation -- do I root for Kalamazoo's Derek Jeter or the Tigers' late, lamented Sparky Anderson? On the other hand, what does either have to do with Showdown?
Mad River went 3-0 in the Cheese Shop League, while Blue Goose was 2-1 in the tough Lumberjack League against Grand Slam, BWW-Ironton and Four Corners. (For the record, between Blue Goose and BWW-Ironton's top six players last week, it is assumed that only ROOROO and UUKON at Blue Goose "put on women's clothing and hang around in bars." It is not known if any of the guys at BWW-Ironton enjoy scones and tea. It is known, however, that ROOROO will return a polite phone call.)
XTRAIN, SCOOBY and the other madmen are easily the Empire State's best team. They easily handled their other three Cheese Shop League members, including 16th seed Concert Pub. Mad River has that “experience thing” on their side. In this match up, that should suffice.

Good luck to all (except Teaser’s) this week.

Uncle Earl,

I take that as a compliment for returning a phone call. My Mama raised me to be polite. However, this lady understands that it can be a "Man's World" and is not afraid to go in the trenches.

Thanks for the write up and if you come through Cincy soon, stop by.

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:21 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Wow. That had to be the toughest game of the year and maybe last year and the year before at that. Congrats to Jilly's for their win with a mere 53k game. You guys missed the "sweet sixteen" of the McCarthy Cup but proved tonight you can beat anybody.

We limped to a weak 45k game at In The Zone, good enough for 10th on the boards but not good enough to run with the big dogs at Damons Twinsburg. We did our darndest but we'll have to wait for next year for another chance. Good luck to the current title holders in their efforts to repeat. You're too good for us.

b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

S O B wrote:
Wow. That had to be the toughest game of the year and maybe last year and the year before at that. Congrats to Jilly's for their win with a mere 53k game. You guys missed the "sweet sixteen" of the McCarthy Cup but proved tonight you can beat anybody.

We limped to a weak 45k game at In The Zone, good enough for 10th on the boards but not good enough to run with the big dogs at Damons Twinsburg. We did our darndest but we'll have to wait for next year for another chance. Good luck to the current title holders in their efforts to repeat. You're too good for us.

b

The Gaggle at the Goose was not that impressive at 26th, but a win is a win anyway you look at it.

Tiffany

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

Post subject: McCarthy Cup UNOFFICIAL Sweet Sixteen Results
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

For those that can't wait, the following are based on images of the top 50 taken with my iPhone. Actual results may vary, especially if BWW Evansville and/or Gators was not reporting out:

1 New Edinburgh 38006
16 Concert Pub 39366

8 Danny K's 48106
9 BWW Ironton 45960

5 Coaches 45107
12 BWW Evansville

4 Mad River 38694
13 Blue Goose 41125

3 Teaser's 41773
14 Fletcher's 44358

6 Fellowship 49150
11 In The Zone 45281

7 BWW Talahassee 35964
10 Gators

2 Henry Hudson's 51114
15 Grand Slam 37120

We have a huge upset of #16 seed Concert Pub over #1 seed New Edinburgh Pub, but I'll bet you a Gomez Hamburger it won't be the last. IF these results hold up, that will make next week's matchups as follows:

16 Concert Pub 39366

vs.
8 Danny K's 48106

5 Coaches 45107
vs.
13 Blue Goose 41125

14 Fletcher's 44358
vs.
6 Fellowship 49150

7 BWW Talahassee 35964
vs.
2 Henry Hudson's 51114

I'll try to get official results up tomorrow as soon as I am able.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:38 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

ANON wrote:
CTCOOK wrote:

Thanks for the detailed bracketology, CTCOOK. It was a well-reasoned, cogent analysis with a deft sensitivity to potential counterarguments.

So who wrote it for you? :lol:

Uncle Earl, will you do the same for next week please please please

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:

b

I agree that that was one of the most difficult games I can remember. Congrats to Jilly's for the win.

I want to extend The Fellowship's sincerest thanks to S O B for the kind words and the toughest first-round elimination game we have ever played. I can't remember the last time I was told a score of 49k was "too good." We're just lucky we didn't face you last week. (Or two weeks ago, or three weeks ago, for that matter). You are truly a class act, and about as good as they come. We look forward (with trepidation) to seeing you in the Sandbag Tournament this fall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:57 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I have one word for tonight's game - Fugly -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:17 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Tough game last night. Will be interesting to see the rankings. What was the final question again?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
Tough game last night. Will be interesting to see the rankings. What was the final question again?

Something like:
Category Grab Bag Science:
In what scientific field would you study Gomez's Hamburger?

1. Botany
2. Phyisology
3. Physics
4. Psychology
5. Astronomy

Not sure if those were all the wrong answers but the right one is in there.

Post subject: McCarthy Cup OFFICIAL Sweet Sixteen Results
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The scores for all teams are now posted, and the official results are as follows (winners in bold):

1 New Edinburgh 38006
16 Concert Pub 39366

8 Danny K's 48106
9 BWW Ironton 45960

5 Coaches 45107
12 BWW Evansville 34814

4 Mad River 38694
13 Blue Goose 41125

3 Teaser's 41773
14 Fletcher's 44358

6 Fellowship 49150
11 In The Zone 45281

7 BWW Talahassee 35964
10 Gators 20053

2 Henry Hudson's 51114
15 Grand Slam 37120

As mentioned previously, The Concert Pub pulled off a huge upset of the #1 seed Edinburgh Pub--congrats to Brandy, Clavin, et al. for the win. On the other hand, one can question just how "upsetting" any of the lower-seed wins were. The field this year is exceptionally strong, and as RooRoo pointed out, any team left here is capable of beating any other one on any given night.

I'd like to take a moment to thank the teams that did not make it past last night. You have nothing to hang your heads over--you have proven yourselves to be among the top sixteen teams in the world and were playing the best of the best. The vagaries of a head-to-head tournament mean that teams like BWW-Ironton and In The Zone beat most of the rest of the sixteen on points last night, but had the misfortune to be paired with a couple teams near the top. I think In The Zone has proven over the course of the tourney that they are one of the very best teams playing right now, and BWW-Ironton has proven that teams underestimate them at their peril. Even though these and the other teams will not be advancing, they are one of the main reasons why this tournament has been particularly competitive and deep this year. Congrats to them, and we hope to see you in the Sandbag Tournament this fall.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:47 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

S O B wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

Something like:
Category Grab Bag Science:
In what scientific field would you study Gomez's Hamburger?

1. Botany
2. Phyisology
3. Physics
4. Psychology
5. Astronomy

Not sure if those were all the wrong answers but the right one is in there.

Thanks. Thought it was Gravy's Hamburger. Must have been hungry...

Post subject: McCarthy Cup 2011 Elite 8 pairings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Congrats to the eight teams that advanced to the quarterfinals this week. The pairings are as follows:

8 Danny K's vs. 16 Concert Pub

5 Coaches vs. 13 Blue Goose

6 Fellowship vs. 14 Fletcher's

2 Henry Hudson's vs. 7 BWW Talahassee

Although these pairing look vaguely reminiscent of the Southwest bracket in this year's NCAA tournament--with three double-digit seeds advancing--more than one person has pointed out that the seedings are deceptive. As the Fletcher's/SRO OT finals of a couple of years ago pointed out, top seeds are relatively meaningless at this stage, and any team that has made it this far is capable of going all the way.

I hope that CTCOOK will provide his expert analysis at some point, but I'd like to take this opportunity to wish good skill to our dearest frienemesis, the team at Fletcher's. We seem to keep bumping up against each other in these things, and remember all too well how you defeated us in the quarterfinals a couple of years ago. In the spirit of genuine affection and esteem in which we hold you, we hope you know that we hold you in the highest regard, and we hope to bury you Tuesday. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:55 pm 
Centenarian

"Uncle Earl, will you do the same for next week please please please" -- The Roo

In the name of full disclosure, I confess to being a sucker for green-eyed women that say "please please please." And that's despite having heard it whispered so many times in the past. [Viewing of the scars by appointment only.] Perhaps I'd better visit St. Catherine's of Sienna for a bit of Reconciliation before I go further. Be back soon.

Since I'll be on the road next week to Tampa, here we go for Week 1 of the Brackets . . .

The 2011 McCarthy Cup Sweet 16 was retribution night across the continent.
"You don't want us in your silly tournament?" says Jilly's. "We got your McCarthy Cup right here . . ." taking the top spot in a very tough game.
The McCarthy Cup Brackets field is composed of nothing but all-stars, yet the best of the bunch could only finish third for the night. Between the NCAA and us, this is the year of upsets and rising new talent.

#16 Concert Pub over #1 New Edinburgh??!!! Are you kidding me?
Down south, The Concert Pub, having checked Uncle Earl's predictions that blew them off in the face of New Edinburgh's #1 seeding, saluted the forecast with only one finger and totally upset all expectations. Meanwhile up north, it must have been heartbreaking to fall so far so quickly. As soon as the scores were posted, I cocked an ear to the east-northeast. Wow, I never knew that Canadians could cuss like that! They must be lip reading Hockey Night In Canada.
Next week, the Houstonians take on Danny K's. For their consistency, I'll pick Danny K's to advance.

#2 Henry Hudson's vs. #15 Grand Slam
Wherever in Oklahoma City people may play Buzztime games, apparently they play Showdown at Henry Hudson's. Posting the night's 3rd best score, the Cowboys toasted the Congressmen (if only it could happen in real life) at DC's Grand Slam.
You have to give the Slammers credit -- that location has been a stalwart in Big League Showdown since Thomas Jefferson manned two playmakers just to one-up Alexander Hamilton. This team has changed much over the years, but somehow they just keep coming back with new talent able to carry the torch. Keep in mind, also, that Henry Hudson's fielded 19 players to Grand Slam's six.
BWW-Tallahassee steps up in the OK corral next week.

#3 Teaser's vs. #14 Fletcher's
I told everyone yesterday that "Historically, The Kzoo Krew seems to do its best as Wild Card underdogs," and that proved true again. With better numbers in the tourney to date, Teaser's was even favored by me, but stumbled to elimination by Fletcher's. Admittedly, the Kzoo Krew was at near-full strength (with a surprise guest from Big Deals Sports Bar in Kalamazoo and yes, you're damned right we tried to recruit her!), but we were still kissing our asses good-bye with a 44.7K score when Buzztime reported that as good for 13th place and eight spots better than Teaser's 21st place.
The bad news is Fletcher's faces the Fellowship next week. In my opinion, it's not worth the effort of un-puckering in the intervening week. Just sayin'.

#4 Mad River vs. #13 Blue Goose
Even supplemented with guests, Mad River could not withstand Mother Goose MENSA and her Gaggle who put a 2nd page score against the Mad Rivermen's 3rd page offering for the upset.
Mad River bows out this time, but count on them to run hard for the Sandbag in the Fall. After all, they've got EARL and EARLZ playing for them. (ANON asks, "Is that an advantage or a handicap, CTCOOK?")
I'm thinking that the Blue Goose is merely using this tournament as the means to an end -- the end of Damon's domination in Ohio. To achieve that goal in the McCarthy Cup, Blue Goose has to get past Coaches next week, and either Concert Pub or Danny K's on April 12 in order to face The Fellowship in the finals. If it were easy, it wouldn't be the McCarthy Cup.
In six days, it's Blue Goose versus Coaches. Who wins? Keep reading . . .

#5 Coaches vs. #12 BWW-Evansville
Until this morning, it was only assumed that Coaches 12th place finish last night was good for the win. It was. In 51st place, explaining their absence from the board last night, BWW-Evansville was simply outclassed by the Albuquerquians. At the top of this posting, I mentioned "rising new talent," and Coaches is one of those teams.
So is BWW-Evansville. They didn't get to the Brackets on boyish good looks and manly charm alone. I'll watch for them to return in the Fall.
Don Denton shows Coaches as rising from 43 Top 100 Games in 2005 to 51 in 2009 and 48 last year. These guys are for real and won't fold easily to Blue Goose next week. Who wins? Who knows?

#6 Fellowship vs. #11 In The Zone
Back in its earliest days, the McCarthy Cup was tossed around out west between Texas and Nevada and then back to Texas. Then them college educated Easterners at Grand Slam sat on the cup for four years before the New Yorkers (New York?!) claimed it for two consecutive tournaments. Grand Slam took it back in 2007 for a year before losing it to the Midwest. Damon's, then at Stow, OH, won in 2008, followed by the aberration known as Fletcher's in 2009. Now, The Fellowship in Twinsburg wants to be the first back-to-back winners since the mid-Aughts. Finishing in fifth place last night advances that goal and returns Damon's to its more dominant position rather than the somewhat unimpressive sliding-into-victory run they've had lately. Never, ever underestimate The Fellowship for being a class act and a fierce competitor.
While In The Zone, probably Florida's best team (and no offense meant to BWW-Tallahassee), may have had every Showdown player in the Central Gulf Coast on hand, even a front page 10th place wasn't enough to overcome The Fellowship. The Zoners will be back in the Sandbag. This is your only warning.
So, will the Fellowship prevail against their fierce rivals in Kalamazoo? Not if there is any justice or kindness or benevolence or fairness or balance or innocent kittens or chocolate or Bourbon in the universe.
But there ain't no justice . . .is there?

#7 BWW-Tallahassee vs. #10 Gator's
This cross-continent contest was almost embarrassing -- an under 40K victory versus a 20K defeat. Sure, it was a 2-1 thrashing, but under 40K to win? That was one tough game that must have had MENSAJ, ASTRAN, ILIANB and the rest crying in their Cartwright’s from the Countdown Round through to the Final Showdown. Gator's is better than this score would indicate, but when the trivia gods choose you as their thunder mug, what can you do but duck and cover?
BWW-Tallahassee is also better than this -- by far. Don Denton rates the Seminoles at 19th in Place Points and 14th in Showdown Average in 2010. In the Elite Eight, they face Henry Hudson's, easily the best that Oklahoma offers, ranked in 2010 as 10th in Place Points and 15th in Showdown Average. By those numbers, this should be a real dust-up, but Henry Hudson's has been extra sharp lately. I think that as good as the Floridians are, things will be OK out west.

#8 Danny K's vs. #9 BWW-Ironton
TIMMAY, BYOTCH, HHHH and HHHHH (What? Four "H's" and five "H's"? Were all the good names were already taken?) at Danny K's do. not. like. to. lose. The California Crew can run as hot as a Little Deuce Coupe one week, then wipe out their boards the next. But they almost always rise to a challenge. They only had to post the 6th best score last night to hold off the Ohucky© (All rights reserved) Border Guards of BWW-Ironton who were in 8th place. 'Twas the closest match up of the night as the 8/9 seedings indicated. ITZQAZ, ERIC, ITIGER, GOOGIE et all will again ignore the Mason-Dixon line in the Sandbag, And the trivia world will tremble.
Danny K's next meets the stunning Concert-goers of Houston. By the numbers, Danny K's should win handily, ranked by Don Denton in 2010 as #1 in Place Points and #4 in Showdown Average. Tell that to New Edinburgh.
Nonetheless, I pick the West Coasters to move to the Final Four.

In summary, once again I'm picking the favorites (and dodging one call), as if that did me a lot of good last night with a 5-3 record. [Editor's note -- my wife, Sainted Mary Beth, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, did better by picking the more poetic state mottos.]
As noted earlier, I will be in The Sunshine State next Tuesday, visiting with In The Zone AND NOT DOING ANY KIND OF WORK 'cause I can't type AND hold a Bahama Mama (either the liquid or solid kind) so they'll be no report from moi. Had the Zoners won last night, the Kzoo Krew would have disowned me, but it's okay now and perhaps the Floridians and I can do a Jilly's on those still in play. (Maybe I'll sneak up to Tallahassee and play under a false name. Hmmm. Repeat after me, "There is no player named SANDMN. There is no player named SANDMN.)

Good luck to at least seven of the Elite Eight. Go Fletcher's!
Be well all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:49 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

CTCOOK wrote:
"Uncle Earl, will you do the same for next week please please please" -- The Roo

In the name of full disclosure, I confess to being a sucker for green-eyed women that say "please please please." And that's despite having heard it whispered so many times in the past. [Viewing of the scars by appointment only.] Perhaps I'd better visit St. Catherine's of Sienna for a bit of Reconciliation before I go further. Be back soon.

Since I'll be on the road next week to Tampa, here we go for Week 1 of the Brackets . . .

The 2011 McCarthy Cup Sweet 16 was retribution night across the continent.
"You don't want us in your silly tournament?" says Jilly's. "We got your McCarthy Cup right here . . ." taking the top spot in a very tough game.
The McCarthy Cup Brackets field is composed of nothing but all-stars, yet the best of the bunch could only finish third for the night. Between the NCAA and us, this is the year of upsets and rising new talent.

#16 Concert Pub over #1 New Edinburgh??!!! Are you kidding me?
Down south, The Concert Pub, having checked Uncle Earl's predictions that blew them off in the face of New Edinburgh's #1 seeding, saluted the forecast with only one finger and totally upset all expectations. Meanwhile up north, it must have been heartbreaking to fall so far so quickly. As soon as the scores were posted, I cocked an ear to the east-northeast. Wow, I never knew that Canadians could cuss like that! They must be lip reading Hockey Night In Canada.
Next week, the Houstonians take on Danny K's. For their consistency, I'll pick Danny K's to advance.

#2 Henry Hudson's vs. #15 Grand Slam
Wherever in Oklahoma City people may play Buzztime games, apparently they play Showdown at Henry Hudson's. Posting the night's 3rd best score, the Cowboys toasted the Congressmen (if only it could happen in real life) at DC's Grand Slam.
You have to give the Slammers credit -- that location has been a stalwart in Big League Showdown since Thomas Jefferson manned two playmakers just to one-up Alexander Hamilton. This team has changed much over the years, but somehow they just keep coming back with new talent able to carry the torch. Keep in mind, also, that Henry Hudson's fielded 19 players to Grand Slam's six.
BWW-Tallahassee steps up in the OK corral next week.

#3 Teaser's vs. #14 Fletcher's
I told everyone yesterday that "Historically, The Kzoo Krew seems to do its best as Wild Card underdogs," and that proved true again. With better numbers in the tourney to date, Teaser's was even favored by me, but stumbled to elimination by Fletcher's. Admittedly, the Kzoo Krew was at near-full strength (with a surprise guest from Big Deals Sports Bar in Kalamazoo and yes, you're damned right we tried to recruit her!), but we were still kissing our asses good-bye with a 44.7K score when Buzztime reported that as good for 13th place and eight spots better than Teaser's 21st place.
The bad news is Fletcher's faces the Fellowship next week. In my opinion, it's not worth the effort of un-puckering in the intervening week. Just sayin'.

#4 Mad River vs. #13 Blue Goose
Even supplemented with guests, Mad River could not withstand Mother Goose MENSA and her Gaggle who put a 2nd page score against the Mad Rivermen's 3rd page offering for the upset.
Mad River bows out this time, but count on them to run hard for the Sandbag in the Fall. After all, they've got EARL and EARLZ playing for them. (ANON asks, "Is that an advantage or a handicap, CTCOOK?")
I'm thinking that the Blue Goose is merely using this tournament as the means to an end -- the end of Damon's domination in Ohio. To achieve that goal in the McCarthy Cup, Blue Goose has to get past Coaches next week, and either Concert Pub or Danny K's on April 12 in order to face The Fellowship in the finals. If it were easy, it wouldn't be the McCarthy Cup.
In six days, it's Blue Goose versus Coaches. Who wins? Keep reading . . .

#5 Coaches vs. #12 BWW-Evansville
Until this morning, it was only assumed that Coaches 12th place finish last night was good for the win. It was. In 51st place, explaining their absence from the board last night, BWW-Evansville was simply outclassed by the Albuquerquians. At the top of this posting, I mentioned "rising new talent," and Coaches is one of those teams.
So is BWW-Evansville. They didn't get to the Brackets on boyish good looks and manly charm alone. I'll watch for them to return in the Fall.
Don Denton shows Coaches as rising from 43 Top 100 Games in 2005 to 51 in 2009 and 48 last year. These guys are for real and won't fold easily to Blue Goose next week. Who wins? Who knows?

#6 Fellowship vs. #11 In The Zone
Back in its earliest days, the McCarthy Cup was tossed around out west between Texas and Nevada and then back to Texas. Then them college educated Easterners at Grand Slam sat on the cup for four years before the New Yorkers (New York?!) claimed it for two consecutive tournaments. Grand Slam took it back in 2007 for a year before losing it to the Midwest. Damon's, then at Stow, OH, won in 2008, followed by the aberration known as Fletcher's in 2009. Now, The Fellowship in Twinsburg wants to be the first back-to-back winners since the mid-Aughts. Finishing in fifth place last night advances that goal and returns Damon's to its more dominant position rather than the somewhat unimpressive sliding-into-victory run they've had lately. Never, ever underestimate The Fellowship for being a class act and a fierce competitor.
While In The Zone, probably Florida's best team (and no offense meant to BWW-Tallahassee), may have had every Showdown player in the Central Gulf Coast on hand, even a front page 10th place wasn't enough to overcome The Fellowship. The Zoners will be back in the Sandbag. This is your only warning.
So, will the Fellowship prevail against their fierce rivals in Kalamazoo? Not if there is any justice or kindness or benevolence or fairness or balance or innocent kittens or chocolate or Bourbon in the universe.
But there ain't no justice . . .is there?

#7 BWW-Tallahassee vs. #10 Gator's
This cross-continent contest was almost embarrassing -- an under 40K victory versus a 20K defeat. Sure, it was a 2-1 thrashing, but under 40K to win? That was one tough game that must have had MENSAJ, ASTRAN, ILIANB and the rest crying in their Cartwright’s from the Countdown Round through to the Final Showdown. Gator's is better than this score would indicate, but when the trivia gods choose you as their thunder mug, what can you do but duck and cover?
BWW-Tallahassee is also better than this -- by far. Don Denton rates the Seminoles at 19th in Place Points and 14th in Showdown Average in 2010. In the Elite Eight, they face Henry Hudson's, easily the best that Oklahoma offers, ranked in 2010 as 10th in Place Points and 15th in Showdown Average. By those numbers, this should be a real dust-up, but Henry Hudson's has been extra sharp lately. I think that as good as the Floridians are, things will be OK out west.

#8 Danny K's vs. #9 BWW-Ironton
TIMMAY, BYOTCH, HHHH and HHHHH (What? Four "H's" and five "H's"? Were all the good names were already taken?) at Danny K's do. not. like. to. lose. The California Crew can run as hot as a Little Deuce Coupe one week, then wipe out their boards the next. But they almost always rise to a challenge. They only had to post the 6th best score last night to hold off the Ohucky© (All rights reserved) Border Guards of BWW-Ironton who were in 8th place. 'Twas the closest match up of the night as the 8/9 seedings indicated. ITZQAZ, ERIC, ITIGER, GOOGIE et all will again ignore the Mason-Dixon line in the Sandbag, And the trivia world will tremble.
Danny K's next meets the stunning Concert-goers of Houston. By the numbers, Danny K's should win handily, ranked by Don Denton in 2010 as #1 in Place Points and #4 in Showdown Average. Tell that to New Edinburgh.
Nonetheless, I pick the West Coasters to move to the Final Four.

In summary, once again I'm picking the favorites (and dodging one call), as if that did me a lot of good last night with a 5-3 record. [Editor's note -- my wife, Sainted Mary Beth, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, did better by picking the more poetic state mottos.]
As noted earlier, I will be in The Sunshine State next Tuesday, visiting with In The Zone AND NOT DOING ANY KIND OF WORK 'cause I can't type AND hold a Bahama Mama (either the liquid or solid kind) so they'll be no report from moi. Had the Zoners won last night, the Kzoo Krew would have disowned me, but it's okay now and perhaps the Floridians and I can do a Jilly's on those still in play. (Maybe I'll sneak up to Tallahassee and play under a false name. Hmmm. Repeat after me, "There is no player named SANDMN. There is no player named SANDMN.)

Good luck to at least seven of the Elite Eight. Go Fletcher's!
Be well all.

Thank you Uncle Earl for the write-up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Good luck to all remaining teams in the cup.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

teverett wrote:

Well, we got eliminated last week and we also wish the survivors well tonight. That won't prevent us, though, from trying to beat as many of them suckers as we can tonight! Just like Jillys did last week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
teverett wrote:

Well, we got eliminated last week and we also wish the survivors well tonight. That won't prevent us, though, from trying to beat as many of them suckers as we can tonight! Just like Jillys did last week.

A fine tradition, and one we always try to observe when we are knocked out of a tournament.

Good skill to all tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

First of all, I'd like to extend my sincerest congratulations to our dear frienemesis Fletcher's for their 229-point win over The Fellowship of Damon's Twinsburg this week. Two years ago you beat us in the quarterfinals, and history repeated itself tonight. Although we wish the result was different, it is never anything to hang one's head over to lose to you.

Provided the scores from tonight hold up in tomorrows HOF, the standings are as follows:

#8 Danny K's 59736
defeated
#16 Concert Pub 58953

#5 Coaches 56083
defeated
#13 Blue Goose 54332

#14 Fletcher's 57856
defeated
#6 The Fellowship 57627

#7 BWW Talahassee 54493
defeated
#2 Henry Hudson's 49522

I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate Concert Pub, Blue Goose, and Henry Hudson's for making it to the elite eight, and raising the level of competition for the tournament as a whole. As the scores for the tournament have indicated, you guys beat anyone on any given night. We hope to see you in the Sandbag Tourney in the fall.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The semifinal matches are thus as follows:

#8 Danny K's vs. #5 Coaches

and

#14 Fletcher's vs. #7 BWW Talahassee

What a great final four. Congrats to the semifinalists--you are truly the best of the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:18 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

At In The Zone last night, we were pleased to welcome visitors CTCOOK and his family entourage. Earl is a terrific guy and a welcome addition anytime. He was sorry to have been away from Fletchers during their Quarterfinal Match against Damons but thrilled to see that his teamies prevailed without him.

We could only manage an eighth place finish and would have been vanquished by either side in a wonderful match between the two powerful teams.

Hail to the victors!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 am 
Centenarian

Wow. Even in the morning after I'm stunned. Way to go Fletcher's!
As ANON already knows, there is no team that Fletcher's would rather beat than Damon's. And there's no team we would rather lose to. I don't fully understand it, but I enjoy the heck out of the competition between the two of us and at the same time I treasure the friendship that's developed between the two of us. It's a measure of true respect that the Kzoo Krew seems to play a bit above itself whenever the Fellowship is the opponent. It's simply that they inspire us. And thank God there were no food or comic book questions last night. Perhaps I'll be allowed back next week.
Perhaps the same will be true in the future regarding us and In The Zone. I was happily surprised to learn how often our two teams have had contact over the years -- PHRED and RECORD's visits here in Florida, and ICEMAN and CRAIG's friendship with GIRLEE. I'm honored to have received the hospitality and friendship of S O B, TIMUR, BLUMAX and the rest of the team on our first (but not the last!) visit to In The Zone. Thanks to the team and the staff for a fine welcome. At more than two dozen strong, with some truly impressive minds, In The Zone is definitely worth any visitor's time as a place to play.
Congratulations also to Danny K's, Coaches and BWW-Tallahasse for winning games last night. The semi-finals are going to be exciting as they and Fletcher's duke it out next week.
Be well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:18 am 
Centenarian

CTCOOK wrote:
The semi-finals are going to be exciting as they and Fletcher's duke it out next week.

Shouldn't that be "earl it out"? Or are you still going to be MIA next week?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next